Kooshies - tips needed

1 view

KarCun

May 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/21/98

I've finally given in to my guilty green feelings, and put my 11-month, 22-lb
baby into washable nappies rather than disposables. (Over here in the UK it
would have been slightly more socially acceptable if I had grown a second head,
but that's another story...) I chose Kooshies Ultras, which got a very good
press from various baby magazines, and I have to say that after a month of use
I'm generally very happy. They are well made, soft and comfortable, and don't
seem to make her any more sore than Pampers/Huggies provided I change her every
3 hours or so. The fact that they are all in one with no plastic pants or
wrapper needed is also a great advantage, despite the higher cost and shorter
lifespan.

However, I'd really appreciate any tips from more experienced users about the
best way to lay them out and fasten them. I'm using a proper Kooshies cotton
booster pad at night or when she's drinking a lot, plus a flushable liner when
I expect something pretty gross to occur shortly. The company recommend that
you fold the internal flap of the nappy (sorry, diaper) back on itself in half
for a girl, and place the booster pad under this flap. The liner is then
"wrapped around" the flap.

I've tried various layouts, but I've still not found a reliable one that keeps
liner, flap and booster pad where they should be until the next change. Is the
pad best under or over the flap? Do you fold the pad in half as well as the
flap? Do you put the liner in lengthways and tuck the edges under the flap &
pad, or turn it crossways and wrap it around the whole width of the flap to try
and secure everything in place?

Since Fiona is right at the bottom end of the recommended weight range for
these nappies, I know I can expect a few fitting problems until she has
expanded a bit more. I started off assuming that I should affix the Velcro
closers to the lower of the two Velcro strips (because she's only little, and
this makes a smaller nappy). However, when I do this, the top front bit of the
nappy tends to flap loosely, and unless she's wearing a poppered bodysuit to
keep the whole ensemble snug, there is a danger that it will fold over and
moisture will wick out from the nappy inner onto her clothes. Since we have
recently experienced something resembling Summer here - i.e., it stopped
raining last week and hasn't started again yet - she's not needed a bodysuit,
and the problem has become apparent.

As I say, these are minor quibbles really. I'm very happy I changed, even
though it is later rather than sooner, and I've every intention of using these
Kooshies until Fiona is ready to join the rest of us in the bathroom. But I'd
love to know if anyone has a magic formula for the perfect Kooshie experience.

Cheers,
Karen
"Blessed be carrots"

Sue Woollett

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

Karen wrote:

>I've finally given in to my guilty green feelings, and put my 11-month, 22-lb
>baby into washable nappies rather than disposables. (Over here in the UK it
>would have been slightly more socially acceptable if I had grown a second head,
>but that's another story...)

>Since we have

>recently experienced something resembling Summer here - i.e., it stopped
>raining last week and hasn't started again yet - she's not needed a bodysuit,
>and the problem has become apparent.

I'm only sorry I have no experience to help you - your post had me in
fits of laughter!

--
Sue, Mum of Steffi the Pomwi, born 16 Dec 1996

sue at woollett dot demon dot co dot uk