lyrics to "mares eat oats"

Mike Naiditch

Jan 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/29/96
There is a dispute in my family as to the lyrics of the infamous song
entitled "Mares Eat Oats."

Can you fill in the correct animal?

"Mares eat oats and
_____ eat oats and
Little lambs eat ivy
A kid'll eat ivy, too
Wouldn't you?
A kid'll eat ivy too
Wouldn't you?"

Thanks. I know this is silly, but it must be resolved. I figure if
Banana--phana---etc. can be questioned, so can this song.

TBW

Jan 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/29/96
I hope this is the only problem you're having! I believe it is "does" as
in "doe, a dear, a female dear..."

)In article <4ej255$7...@alterdial.UU.NET>, Mike Naiditch
<naid...@miint.net> wrote:

--
TBW
tbwe...@ucla.edu

KorysMa

Jan 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/29/96
From message-ID: <4ej255$7...@alterdial.UU.NET>, Mike wrote:

>There is a dispute in my family as to the lyrics of the infamous song
>entitled "Mares Eat Oats."
>
>Can you fill in the correct animal?
>
>"Mares eat oats and
> _____ eat oats and
> Little lambs eat ivy
>A kid'll eat ivy, too
> Wouldn't you?
> A kid'll eat ivy too
> Wouldn't you?"

Does (that is a baby doe - plural....)

Also, the rest of the song as we sing it goes:

If the words seem strange
and funny to your ears
a little bit jumbled and jivey
sing Mares Eat Oats and
Does Eat Oats and
Little Lambs Eat Ivey (These last couple of lines sung with alot
of pronunciation!)

Kerrie (ma to Kory)
kor...@aol.com
Way down deep, we're all motivated by the same urges. Cats have the
courage to live by them. -- Jim Davis, American Cartoonist

Stephanie Soderblom

Jan 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/29/96
In article <4ej255$7...@alterdial.UU.NET>,

Mike Naiditch <naid...@miint.net> wrote:
>There is a dispute in my family as to the lyrics of the infamous song
>entitled "Mares Eat Oats."
>
>Can you fill in the correct animal?
>
>"Mares eat oats and

Does (as in female dear..but wait, that's a different song *grin*)

> _____ eat oats and
> Little lambs eat ivy
> A kid'll eat ivy, too
> Wouldn't you?
> A kid'll eat ivy too
> Wouldn't you?"

Or, the way it's also sung is
"marzy doats and dozy doats
and little amsi-divy
a kidly-divy too, wouldn't you?"

>Thanks. I know this is silly, but it must be resolved. I figure if
>Banana--phana---etc. can be questioned, so can this song.

No problem. =)

Stephanie

Katie McCarthy

Jan 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/29/96
<naid...@miint.net> wrote:

> There is a dispute in my family as to the lyrics of the infamous song
> entitled "Mares Eat Oats."
>
> Can you fill in the correct animal?
>
> "Mares eat oats and

> _____ eat oats and
> Little lambs eat ivy
> A kid'll eat ivy, too
> Wouldn't you?
> A kid'll eat ivy too
> Wouldn't you?"

"Does", as in female deer, I think. I hope you win the argument...

Katie

Mike Naiditch

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
I want to thank everyone for their input into our family
dispute. Overwhelmingly, I found that Does eat oats.

Still, my wife insists that goats eat oats, because in the Philippines,
there are no deer.

Also, she informed me that in the Philippines:

this little piggy went to market
this little piggy stayed home
this little piggy had RICE AND FISH (not roast beef!)
this little piggy had none
this little piggy went wee wee wee wee all the way home.

Has anyone EVER heard this?

Unknown

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
In article <4ek2ql$u...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>
kor...@aol.com (KorysMa) writes:

>From message-ID: <4ej255$7...@alterdial.UU.NET>, Mike wrote:
>
>>There is a dispute in my family as to the lyrics of the infamous song
>>entitled "Mares Eat Oats."
>>
>>Can you fill in the correct animal?
>>
>>"Mares eat oats and
>> _____ eat oats and
>> Little lambs eat ivy
>>A kid'll eat ivy, too
>> Wouldn't you?
>> A kid'll eat ivy too
>> Wouldn't you?"
>>
>Does (that is a baby doe - plural....)
>
>Also, the rest of the song as we sing it goes:
>
>If the words seem strange
>and funny to your ears
>a little bit jumbled and jivey
>sing Mares Eat Oats and
> Does Eat Oats and
> Little Lambs Eat Ivey (These last couple of lines sung with alot
>of pronunciation!)

Actually, it's:

If the words sound QUEER
and funny to your ear...
(etc., etc.)

Remember, this song was from the days (the 30's, I think) when *queer* was
primarily used to describe something unusual, not in reference to sexual bent.

Cecilia

Ron & Sheila Kimball

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
In article <4elbtf$3...@alterdial.UU.NET>, naid...@miint.net says...

tell your wife that 1)female goats are does and 2)what they say in the
Phillipines has NOTHING to do with our children's songs!!

Alison

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
Actually, I had a record of the "mares eat oats" song. But the title is
spelled "Mairzy Doats." It's supposed to seem like a nonsense song with
nonsense words, something like:

Mairzy doats
& dozy doats
& little lamsy divy
a kiddly divy too
wooden shoe?

But then when you listen to it carefully, you realize that it's really
words, and then the second or third time through, they pronounce it more
carefully, so you can tell it's really:

Mares eat oats
& does eat oats
& little lambs eat ivy

A kid'll eat ivy, too
Wouldn't you?

--
Alison D.
10332...@compuserve.com

Alison

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
In article <4eluev$m...@natinst.com> Alison,

alison.de...@natinst.com writes:
>Actually, I had a record of the "mares eat oats" song. But the title is
>spelled "Mairzy Doats." It's supposed to seem like a nonsense song with
>nonsense words

To follow up to my own post, I just remembered the middle words to this
song:

Mairzy doats & dozy doats

& little lamsy tivy

a kiddly divy too
wooden shoe?

If the words sound queer,
& funny to your ear,
a little bit jumbled & jivy,
say: "Mares eat oats,
and does eat oats,
and little lambs eat ivy.
A kid'll eat ivy, too.
Wouldn't you?"

Then it goes back into the quick, jumbled sounding first verse.
--
Alison D.

Ron & Sheila Kimball

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
In article <4ej255$7...@alterdial.UU.NET>, naid...@miint.net says...

>There is a dispute in my family as to the lyrics of the infamous song
>entitled "Mares Eat Oats."
>
>Can you fill in the correct animal?
>
>"Mares eat oats and
> _____ eat oats and
> Little lambs eat ivy
> A kid'll eat ivy, too
> Wouldn't you?
> A kid'll eat ivy too
> Wouldn't you?"
>
>Thanks. I know this is silly, but it must be resolved. I figure if
>Banana--phana---etc. can be questioned, so can this song.

according to the lyrics pamphlet that came with our Disney's silly songs CD,
its called Mairzy Doats, it goes

Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey a kiddle-y divey too,
wouldn't you.

so, the word is 'doe', you know, a female deer...

Sheila

Chris F Chiesa

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
Actually, the song is called "Mairzy Doats," and the lyrics are only
PARTLY as I've seen posted so far. The majority of the lyric is only
PHONETICALLY equivalent to what's been posted! According to a novelty-
song sheet-music book I picked up a couple of weeks back -- which also
jibes with the way my Dad taught it to me 20+ years ago -- it goes like this:

Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divy,
a kiddley divey too, wouldn't you?
(repeat)

If the words sound queer and funny to your ear,
a little bit jumbled and jivey, sing
"mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy."

(repeat first part one more time)

This may not be the ENTIRE lyric, as this particular book seems to
shorten things a bit, but I've never heard any MORE of a lyric to
this particular song than is included here.

Hope this helps.

Chris Chiesa
xet...@shell.portal.com / Chris_F...@cup.portal.com

Tina Ley P015

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
to naid...@miint.net
Mike Naiditch <naid...@miint.net> wrote:
>There is a dispute in my family as to the lyrics of the infamous song
>entitled "Mares Eat Oats."
>
>Can you fill in the correct animal?
>
>"Mares eat oats and
> _____ eat oats and
> Little lambs eat ivy
> A kid'll eat ivy, too
> Wouldn't you?
> A kid'll eat ivy too
> Wouldn't you?"
>
>Thanks. I know this is silly, but it must be resolved. I figure if
>Banana--phana---etc. can be questioned, so can this song.

The second line is

Does eat oats...

My mom sang this song every day of my life. How could I
ever forget.

Tina Ley

Cissy . Thorpe

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96

On 30 Jan 1996, Christine Linders wrote:

> : "Mares eat oats and
> : Does eat oats and

> : Little lambs eat ivy
> : A kid'll eat ivy, too
> : Wouldn't you?
> : A kid'll eat ivy too
> : Wouldn't you?"
>

> --
> Christy Linders
> Sarah's Mother (born June 8/93)
> ag...@ccn.cs.dal.ca

Now if the words sound queer

and funny to your ear

a little bit jumbled and jivey

Sing "mares eat oats
and does eat oats,
but little lambs eat ivy"

Repeat chorus

TruskiDo

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
<naid...@miint.net> writes:

>"Mares eat oats and
> _____ eat oats and

> Little lambs eat ivy
> A kid'll eat ivy, too
> Wouldn't you?
> A kid'll eat ivy too
> Wouldn't you?"
>

>Thanks. I know this is silly, but it must be resolved. I figure if
>Banana--phana---etc. can be questioned, so can this song.

"Does" as in female deer.

Patty Tomasco
trus...@aol.com

Christine Linders

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
: "Mares eat oats and
: Does eat oats and

: Little lambs eat ivy
: A kid'll eat ivy, too
: Wouldn't you?
: A kid'll eat ivy too
: Wouldn't you?"

cro...@delphi.com

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96

DOES (plural of DOe)
andrea

cro...@delphi.com

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
we sing the last lines as:
"If the words sounds queer, or funny to your ear, a little bit jumbled and
jivey..."
Maybe this is no longer politically correct?
andrea

James H. Haynes

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96

Frogs eat bugs & birds eat bugs, and little dogs eat liver
Kid'll eat liver too, wooden shoe?
(etc)

Is this in the same equivalence class as "Ladle Rat Rotten Hut" ?

Ed Hughes

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96

Those are all the words I've ever heard for this song, whether from
my Dad, from Peter O'Toole in "The Ruling Class," from Leland/BOB on
"Twin Peaks," or (reaching waaaaaaaay back now) from Bea Benadaret
on that old episode of "Petticoat Junction" (the one where she
pretended to be a hippie)!

--Ed
--
Ed Hughes, SAS Institute | "Kids--Don't ever sit on an archaeologist's lap."
Cary, NC | --Tom Servo, "Robot Monster," MST3000

Victor Engel

Feb 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/1/96
I don't think it's in the same equivalence class unless you either have
a different definition of equivalent or I'm not reading your poem
correctly. However, I'd say it's in a similar equivalence class (the
equivalence class of equivalence classes that are similar to yours).
Well, that makes the answer yes! Oh, well. Are you a math nut?

Billy

Feb 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/1/96
Mike Naiditch <naid...@miint.net> writes:

>I want to thank everyone for their input into our family
>dispute. Overwhelmingly, I found that Does eat oats.
>
>Still, my wife insists that goats eat oats, because in the Philippines,
>there are no deer.

A female goat is called a doe by some people, a nanny
by others. So either way, it's a goat *and* a doe. ;>

Billy

Ron & Sheila Kimball

Feb 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/1/96
says...

>Actually, the song is called "Mairzy Doats," and the lyrics are only
>PARTLY as I've seen posted so far. The majority of the lyric is only
>PHONETICALLY equivalent to what's been posted! According to a novelty-
>song sheet-music book I picked up a couple of weeks back -- which also
>jibes with the way my Dad taught it to me 20+ years ago -- it goes like
this:

I guess my post from the *Disney* lyric book wasn't up to your standards!

> Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divy,
> a kiddley divey too, wouldn't you?
> (repeat)
>
> If the words sound queer and funny to your ear,
> a little bit jumbled and jivey, sing
> "mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy."
>
> (repeat first part one more time)
>
>This may not be the ENTIRE lyric, as this particular book seems to
>shorten things a bit, but I've never heard any MORE of a lyric to
>this particular song than is included here.

Sandra Larkin

Feb 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/1/96
Here's the song the way my mother sang it to me. It was a novelty hit in
the early 1940s.

Mairzy doats and dozy doats

and little lamzy divy
a kidddly divy doo
wouldn't you

Oh Mairzy doats and dozy doats
and little lamzy divy
a kidddly divy doo
wouldn't you

Now if the words sound queer

and funny to your ear

a little bit jumpy and jivy
just sing
Mares eat oats

and does eat oats
and little lambs eat ivy

Oh Mairzy doats and dozy doats
and little lamzy divy
a kidddly divy doo
wouldn't you

a kidddly divy doo
wouldn't you?

Len Lajje

Feb 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/1/96
In article <4elbtf$3...@alterdial.UU.NET>, naid...@miint.net says...

>I want to thank everyone for their input into our family
>dispute. Overwhelmingly, I found that Does eat oats.
>
>Still, my wife insists that goats eat oats, because in the Philippines,
>there are no deer.
>
>Also, she informed me that in the Philippines:
>
>this little piggy went to market
>this little piggy stayed home
>this little piggy had RICE AND FISH (not roast beef!)
>this little piggy had none
>this little piggy went wee wee wee wee all the way home.
>
>Has anyone EVER heard this?

No, but in our house piggys eat quiche instead of going hungry, and sometimes
read books rather than just stay home!!

Marya

Victor Engel

Feb 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/1/96
My wife never heard this song till I sang it. I sang, "Mares eat oats and
does eat oats." She, however, sings, "Mares eat oats and stotes eat
goats." <G>

Keith E Gatling

Feb 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/1/96
Having taped it off the air from Dr Demento some years ago, I've got *two*
verses of it...

VERSE 1
marzy doats and dozy doats
and little lamsy divey
a kittelly divey too
wouldn't you

marzy doats and dozy doats
and little lamsy divey
a kittelly divey too
wouldn't you

and if the words sound queer

and funny to your ear

a little bit jumbled and jivey
think mares eat oats

and does eat oats
and little lambs eat ivy

oh marzy doats and dozy doats
and little lamsy divey
a kittelly divey too
wouldn't you

VERSE 2
frogsybugs and birsybugs
and little dogsyliver
a kittelly liver too
wouldn't you

frogsybugs and birsybugs
and little dogsyliver
a kittelly liver too
wouldn't you

and if the words sound queer

and funny to your ear

and make you want to jump in the river
think frogs eat bugs
and birds eat bugs

and little dogs eat liver

frogsybugs and birsybugs
and little dogsyliver
a kittelly liver too
wouldn't you

* Keith E Gatling kgat...@mailbox.syr.edu *
* Opinions? I've got plenty of them. Just ask my wife! *
* *
* "Daddy Keef" to Devra Marie, the Bunhead 2.3.93 Posting since 1992 *
* Photoalbum Page 56 *

Thomas A. McGlynn

Feb 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/1/96
Len Lajje wrote:

> In article <4elbtf$3...@alterdial.UU.NET>, naid...@miint.net says...
> >
> >Also, she informed me that in the Philippines:
> >
> >this little piggy went to market
> >this little piggy stayed home
> >this little piggy had RICE AND FISH (not roast beef!)
> >this little piggy had none
> >this little piggy went wee wee wee wee all the way home.
> >
> >Has anyone EVER heard this?
> >

> No, but in our house piggys eat quiche instead of going hungry, and sometimes
> read books rather than just stay home!!
>
> Marya

Former DINK's that we are, we taught our son:

This little piggy went to market,
This little piggy sold short,
This little piggy had blue chips,
This little piggy had none and
This little piggy cried mutual funds, mutual funds, mutual funds all the
way home.

Tom McGlynn

Victor Engel

Feb 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/2/96
Twenty+ years ago is way-conservative. I have heard records of this song
from the 50s.

Btroyi

Feb 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/2/96
kimb...@halcyon.com (Ron & Sheila Kimball) wrote:

>In article <4elbtf$3...@alterdial.UU.NET>, naid...@miint.net says...
>>

>>I want to thank everyone for their input into our family
>>dispute. Overwhelmingly, I found that Does eat oats.
>>
>>Still, my wife insists that goats eat oats, because in the Philippines,
>>there are no deer.
>>

>>Also, she informed me that in the Philippines:
>>
>>this little piggy went to market
>>this little piggy stayed home
>>this little piggy had RICE AND FISH (not roast beef!)
>>this little piggy had none
>>this little piggy went wee wee wee wee all the way home.
>>
>>Has anyone EVER heard this?

>tell your wife that 1)female goats are does and 2)what they say in the

>Phillipines has NOTHING to do with our children's songs!!

So-o-o.......? What's your point??? other than expressing your
RUDE attitude toward someone from a country other than your own that
is !!!
Grannie

Lynda Seehusen

Feb 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/2/96
Thomas A. McGlynn (t...@silk.gsfc.nasa.gov) wrote:

: Len Lajje wrote:
: > In article <4elbtf$3...@alterdial.UU.NET>, naid...@miint.net says...
: This little piggy went to market,

: This little piggy sold short,
: This little piggy had blue chips,
: This little piggy had none and
: This little piggy cried mutual funds, mutual funds, mutual funds all the
: way home.

My husband, whose family raised pigs, insists that when the big piggie
goes to "market" it goes to BE groceries, not get groceries :) He'll
also substitute "ground feed" for roast beef as he says he never met
a piggy who ate roast beef exclusively.

Lynda, mom to Emma, 3.4 and Shannon, 18 weeks.

"30 days hath November, April, June and September. All the rest have 31
except January and February which appear to have 80". Source unknown.

Ravi Menon

Feb 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/3/96
kimb...@halcyon.com (Ron & Sheila Kimball) writes:

>In article <4elbtf$3...@alterdial.UU.NET>, naid...@miint.net says...
>>

>>I want to thank everyone for their input into our family
>>dispute. Overwhelmingly, I found that Does eat oats.

I have heard it both as goats eat oats and does eat oats.

>>Still, my wife insists that goats eat oats, because in the Philippines,
>>there are no deer.
>>
>>Also, she informed me that in the Philippines:

>tell your wife that 1)female goats are does and 2)what they say in the

>Phillipines has NOTHING to do with our children's songs!!

I knew I shouldn't have looked. I am so so sad that I did now. But,
please inform your wife that there are plenty of folks on the 'Net
that do indeed take interest in what other people and children say
around the world. And as such "what they say in the Pillipines has
ALOT to do with our children's songs".

--
Deantha

Ron & Sheila Kimball

Feb 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/3/96
In article <4es72h$l...@mari.onr.com>, lig...@onr.com says...

>Twenty+ years ago is way-conservative. I have heard records of this song
>from the 50s.

It is copyright 1943 according to my Disney Silly SOngs CD.

Alison D.

Feb 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/3/96
In article <4f09ag$l...@peabody.colorado.edu> Ravi Menon,

me...@beagle.Colorado.EDU writes:
>But,
>please inform your wife that there are plenty of folks on the 'Net
>that do indeed take interest in what other people and children say
>around the world. And as such "what they say in the Pillipines has
>ALOT to do with our children's songs".

Especially when you consider that the 'Net is not limited to the US. Who
does "our" pertain to? Misc.kids readers? There may well be people in
the Philippines who read misc.kids. And I am almost certain there are
people of Philippine origin who might read this newsgroup, whether they
currently live in the Philippines or not--I have had several
computer-savvy Filipino friends here in the US.

--Alison D.

Maria Lauron

Feb 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/4/96

Ron & Sheila Kimball writes:

> tell your wife that 1)female goats are does and 2)what they
> say in the Phillipines has NOTHING to do with our children's
> songs!!

Considering that my child is 1/2 Filipino, I'd say that what
goes on in other parts of the world has LOTS to do with *my*
children's songs.

BTW - My husband says "Putang ina mo"

Maria Lauron
Mama to Diego (9/1/95)

Joel and Lynn GAzis-SAx

Feb 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/6/96
In article <4f6cr8$d...@news.halcyon.com>,
kimb...@halcyon.com (Ron & Sheila Kimball) wrote:
>since this song is *copywritten* in the US, what on earth could the
>Phillipines have to do with it?
>
>Sheila

Has it occurred to you that some of us may find it interesting to discuss how
local variations get introduced into children's songs? I have to say, thanks
to the person who posted about "does" being "goats" in the Philippines.
Similarly, I have heard that "cockle shells" in certain children's songs
sometimes get turned into "taco shells" when the song is sung by children in
California (a lot more taco shells than cockle shells here). Does anyone else
have any fun local variations in lyrics to add?

Lynn Gazis-Sax

Joel and Lynn GAzis-SAx Main email: gazi...@best.com
ly...@elan.com http://www.best.com/~gazissax/
gazi...@netcom.com Visit Alsirat:
js...@igc.apc.org http://www.best.com/~gazissax/alsirat.html
The Marx Brothers@Darkweb (Joel) Whoopi@Darkweb (Lynn)

Tina Barretto

Feb 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/6/96
In article <4epn09$1...@news1.infinet.com>, sinanju@laj@gemstar.cmhnet.org
(Len Lajje) wrote:

> >Also, she informed me that in the Philippines:
> >

> >this little piggy went to market
> >this little piggy stayed home
> >this little piggy had RICE AND FISH (not roast beef!)
> >this little piggy had none
> >this little piggy went wee wee wee wee all the way home.
> >
> >Has anyone EVER heard this?

Well, my husband is Filipino and I can definitely believe the above song!!!
We eat rice for breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as a lot of fish!!!
Our daughter also loves rice!!!!

Although when I sing the song to her it is always roast beef!!!

Tina (mommy to Lauren 5-22-94)

Ron & Sheila Kimball

Feb 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/6/96
In article <NEWTNews.8234651...@PCSLIP.bah.com>,
206...@bob.com says...

since this song is *copywritten* in the US, what on earth could the

rini

Feb 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/6/96
In article <311130...@silk.gsfc.nasa.gov>,

Thomas A. McGlynn <t...@silk.gsfc.nasa.gov> wrote:

>Former DINK's that we are, we taught our son:
>

>This little piggy went to market,
>This little piggy sold short,
>This little piggy had blue chips,
>This little piggy had none and
>This little piggy cried mutual funds, mutual funds, mutual funds all the
>way home.

We do a more academic thing, like:

This little piggy went to Marquette,
This little piggy dropped out of DePaul,
This little piggy thought about Stanford,
This little piggy wanted to come home, and
THIS little piggy went to REED REED REED all four years long.
:-)

rini

Billy

Feb 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/6/96
Ron & Sheila Kimball <kimb...@halcyon.com> writes:

>>> tell your wife that 1)female goats are does and 2)what they
>>> say in the Phillipines has NOTHING to do with our children's
>>> songs!!

Your children own this song?

>since this song is *copywritten* in the US, what on earth could the
>Phillipines have to do with it?

Yeah. Heck, since the song is copyrighted (not copywritten, dear)
in the US, we ought to just make it illegal for anyone outside
the US to sing it at all. It's OUR song, right? And if they dare
to sing it in another *language* - well then! They should just
be shot.

Billy
(who hopes people will know irony when they see it)

Ron & Sheila Kimball

Feb 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/6/96
In article <4f0naa$6...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>, 10332...@compuserve.com
says...

for the millionth time, this is a real, actual, copywritten song, from the
US and I don't happen to think that what they make up as verses in some
other country make that the right way to sing it, as the man said his wife
indicated it did. How ever anyone's granny, teacher, whatever sang it
doesn't make it right either. I have a copywritten songbook published by
Disney with all the proper credits at the end of each song, which would lead
me to believe that this is the right set of lyrics.

Sheila

Grannie

Feb 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/7/96
kimb...@halcyon.com (Ron & Sheila Kimball) wrote:

>>Ron & Sheila Kimball writes:
>>>
>>> tell your wife that 1)female goats are does and 2)what they

>>> say in the Phillipines has NOTHING to do with our children's
>>> songs!!
>>
>>Considering that my child is 1/2 Filipino, I'd say that what
>>goes on in other parts of the world has LOTS to do with *my*
>>children's songs.
>>
>>BTW - My husband says "Putang ina mo"
>>
>>Maria Lauron
>>Mama to Diego (9/1/95)
>>

>since this song is *copywritten* in the US, what on earth could the

>Phillipines have to do with it?

>Sheila

A-HEMM!!! Excuse me but, the U.S. is made up of MANY cultures!
Could THAT have something to do with it???

Grannie

AJeddeloh

Feb 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/7/96
I've been using ther "Valley Girl" version:

This little piggy when to the mall,
This little piggy stayed home.
This little piggy had a Big Mac,
This little piggy had none.
And this little piggy went
"Fer Sure, Fer sure, fer sure" all the way home!

-Alan Jeddeloh H(503) 292-9740 W(503) 643-1681 x6427
al...@kentrox.com -=- al...@netcom.com
Some people claim their children keep them young.
Mine just keep me tired.

Ravi Menon

Feb 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/7/96
kimb...@halcyon.com (Ron & Sheila Kimball) writes:

>In article <4f0naa$6...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>, 10332...@compuserve.com
>says...
>>

>>Especially when you consider that the 'Net is not limited to the US. Who
>>does "our" pertain to? Misc.kids readers? There may well be people in
>>the Philippines who read misc.kids. And I am almost certain there are
>>people of Philippine origin who might read this newsgroup, whether they
>>currently live in the Philippines or not--I have had several
>>computer-savvy Filipino friends here in the US.
>>

>for the millionth time, this is a real, actual, copywritten song, from the

>US and I don't happen to think that what they make up as verses in some
>other country make that the right way to sing it, as the man said his wife
>indicated it did. How ever anyone's granny, teacher, whatever sang it
>doesn't make it right either. I have a copywritten songbook published by
>Disney with all the proper credits at the end of each song, which would lead
>me to believe that this is the right set of lyrics.

Fine. That is the way it is sung in the original form. You
answered the original poster's question. But the other poster was
merely saying that his wife reported they had sung it differently in
the Philippines. She was not saying that was the only way to sing it.
She merely said they didn't have "does" in the Philippines (and even
if you do call a female goat a doe, obviously they don't in the
Philippines so the goats=does argument was unnecessary) and as such
said "goats" instead of "does".

Sing it. It sounds kinda cute. goats eedoats. Anyhow, you
misunderstood the poster's comments about his wife and your response
sounded very prejudicial.

--
Deantha

Rob Frazier

Feb 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/7/96

I love it! Only in misc.kids could we get into a flame war over
a song for children :-)

Marion Baumgarten

Feb 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/7/96
Ron & Sheila Kimball <kimb...@halcyon.com> wrote:

> >--Alison D.

> for the millionth time, this is a real, actual, copywritten song, from the
> US and I don't happen to think that what they make up as verses in some
> other country make that the right way to sing it, as the man said his wife
> indicated it did. How ever anyone's granny, teacher, whatever sang it
> doesn't make it right either. I have a copywritten songbook published by
> Disney with all the proper credits at the end of each song, which would lead
> me to believe that this is the right set of lyrics.
>

> Sheila

Oh pleeze! Are only copywritten songs real songs.
I bet La Bamba sounds pretty funny when I sing it.
Does that mean I have to stop?

--
Marion Baumgarten mari...@tezcat.com
Mother to die wunderkinder Martha(7) Peter (4)

Ron & Sheila Kimball

Feb 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/8/96
In article <4fbott$l...@huitzilo.tezcat.com>, mari...@tezcat.com says...

of course not, but that's hardly the point, if you've followed this thread.
Sing whatever you want, but don't insist that the words you learned are
right and then call me racist or whatever for point out the right words.

Sheila

Ron & Sheila Kimball

Feb 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/8/96
In article <4fac9m$2...@peabody.colorado.edu>, me...@beagle.Colorado.EDU
says...

>kimb...@halcyon.com (Ron & Sheila Kimball) writes:

>>for the millionth time, this is a real, actual, copywritten song, from the
>>US and I don't happen to think that what they make up as verses in some
>>other country make that the right way to sing it, as the man said his wife
>>indicated it did. How ever anyone's granny, teacher, whatever sang it
>>doesn't make it right either. I have a copywritten songbook published by
>>Disney with all the proper credits at the end of each song, which would
lead
>>me to believe that this is the right set of lyrics.
>

>Fine. That is the way it is sung in the original form. You
>answered the original poster's question. But the other poster was
>merely saying that his wife reported they had sung it differently in
>the Philippines. She was not saying that was the only way to sing it.
>She merely said they didn't have "does" in the Philippines (and even
>if you do call a female goat a doe, obviously they don't in the
>Philippines so the goats=does argument was unnecessary) and as such
>said "goats" instead of "does".
>
>Sing it. It sounds kinda cute. goats eedoats. Anyhow, you
>misunderstood the poster's comments about his wife and your response
>sounded very prejudicial.
>

>--
>Deantha

I don't know why I'm even bothering to reply to you! I think that you
aren't in any position to tell me that I misunderstood, perhaps you did. He
made it sound like she thought that was the correct lyric b/c that's the way
they sang it in the Phillipines, the people who jumped on the thread after
that made it look like I was being prejudicial. The fact remains that its
got real, actual lyrics, so it makes no difference where she lived, though
everyone made me out to look prejudicial. Re the doe=female goat part, I
doubt if most Americans know this either, I happened to have grown up on a
ranch and do know this. There are many, many older songs that have
antiquated, regional, colloquial, etc... words in them and that doesn't mean
we need to change them.

Sheila

Grannie

Feb 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/9/96
kimb...@halcyon.com (Ron & Sheila Kimball) wrote:

>In article <4elbtf$3...@alterdial.UU.NET>, naid...@miint.net says...
>>
>>I want to thank everyone for their input into our family
>>dispute. Overwhelmingly, I found that Does eat oats.
>>

>>Still, my wife insists that goats eat oats, because in the Philippines,
>>there are no deer.
>>

>>Also, she informed me that in the Philippines:
>>
>>this little piggy went to market
>>this little piggy stayed home
>>this little piggy had RICE AND FISH (not roast beef!)
>>this little piggy had none
>>this little piggy went wee wee wee wee all the way home.
>>
>>Has anyone EVER heard this?

>tell your wife that 1)female goats are does and 2)what they say in the

>Phillipines has NOTHING to do with our children's songs!!

So-o-o.......? What's your point??? other than expressing your

Ron & Sheila Kimball

Feb 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/9/96
In article <287cc$ce3b.d8@NEWS>, gra...@atc.ameritel.net says...

OK, I think posting this twice gets the point across.

Sheila

Cissy . Thorpe

Feb 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/9/96

On Fri, 9 Feb 1996, Grannie wrote:

> kimb...@halcyon.com (Ron & Sheila Kimball) wrote:
>

> >In article <4elbtf$3...@alterdial.UU.NET>, naid...@miint.net says...
> >>
> >>I want to thank everyone for their input into our family
> >>dispute. Overwhelmingly, I found that Does eat oats.
> >>
> >>Still, my wife insists that goats eat oats, because in the Philippines,
> >>there are no deer.
> >>
> >>Also, she informed me that in the Philippines:
> >>
> >>this little piggy went to market
> >>this little piggy stayed home
> >>this little piggy had RICE AND FISH (not roast beef!)
> >>this little piggy had none
> >>this little piggy went wee wee wee wee all the way home.
> >>
> >>Has anyone EVER heard this?
>

> >tell your wife that 1)female goats are does and 2)what they say in the
> >Phillipines has NOTHING to do with our children's songs!!
> >>

> So-o-o.......? What's your point??? other than expressing your
> RUDE attitude toward someone from a country other than your own that
> is !!!
> Grannie

I always thought that female goats were nannies....males billies...

Cissy

Ravi Menon

Feb 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/9/96
kimb...@halcyon.com (Ron & Sheila Kimball) writes:

>I don't know why I'm even bothering to reply to you! I think that you

ditto.

>aren't in any position to tell me that I misunderstood, perhaps you did. He

It is very apparent you did.

Be thankful people are at least giving you THAT benefit of the
doubt.

>made it sound like she thought that was the correct lyric b/c that's the way
>they sang it in the Phillipines, the people who jumped on the thread after
>that made it look like I was being prejudicial. The fact remains that its

Well, I read the whole thread. It is very clear YOU are
misinterpreting what she was saying...and what her husband posted.

Even so, even if what you you thought she said was the case. Your
answer sounded VERY prejudicial.

>got real, actual lyrics, so it makes no difference where she lived, though
>everyone made me out to look prejudicial. Re the doe=female goat part, I

No. What you wrote made you look very prejudicial. No one else had
to put any effort effort into it.

>doubt if most Americans know this either, I happened to have grown up on a
>ranch and do know this. There are many, many older songs that have
>antiquated, regional, colloquial, etc... words in them and that doesn't mean
>we need to change them.

So do you always sing songs as they were origianlly written? I doubt
it.

The whole point of the matter is, the chap was merely reporting that
the words his wife had heard all her life and why she sang it that
way. BTW, did it ever occur to you that Disny might have changed it
according to the various areas in which it was used? It is a
possibility as they are known to change the wording in their videos
and songs according to which culture they are going to. IE A Lion
King video in India....which is Disney made and sponsered....doesn't
necessarily have the exact same wording the one's here have...they
don't make sense in that culture; thus they modify according to that.

deantha
--
Deantha

Sherry Beauchamp

Feb 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/9/96
On 6 Feb 1996, Ron & Sheila Kimball wrote:

> for the millionth time, this is a real, actual, copywritten song, from the
> US and I don't happen to think that what they make up as verses in some
> other country make that the right way to sing it, as the man said his wife
> indicated it did. How ever anyone's granny, teacher, whatever sang it
> doesn't make it right either. I have a copywritten songbook published by
> Disney with all the proper credits at the end of each song, which would lead
> me to believe that this is the right set of lyrics.

Wow, talk about anal retentive -- lighten up! Music is a flexible form
of expression, and songs can be changed in whatever way the person
singing them deems appropriate to the occasion. They're not recording
them, for heaven's sake, they're just singing for pleasure. As far as
your level of prejudice, I don't note you commenting on the verses made
up by various Americans across the US, only on those from a <gasp!>
foreign country. If this isn't racist, or at least xenophobic, I don't
know what is!

Sherry

Ron & Sheila Kimball

Feb 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/10/96
In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.96020...@lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu>,
cth...@lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu says...

>I always thought that female goats were nannies....males billies...
>
>Cissy

they can be either does or nannies, males are also sometimes called bucks.

Sheila, who grew up on a sheep and goat ranch.

Ron & Sheila Kimball

Feb 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/10/96
In article <Pine.ULT.3.91.960209...@coho.halcyon.com>,
s...@halcyon.com says...

have you followed this thread at all? This one man said that his wife
insisted the song sadi goats and not does b/c that's the way they sing it in
the Phillipines. I was hardly being racist, etc... almost every other
person had the words right, what was there to comment on?

Sheila

Ron & Sheila Kimball

Feb 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/10/96
In article <4fgki4$m...@peabody.colorado.edu>, me...@beagle.Colorado.EDU
says...

>>doubt if most Americans know this either, I happened to have grown up on a
>>ranch and do know this. There are many, many older songs that have
>>antiquated, regional, colloquial, etc... words in them and that doesn't
mean
>>we need to change them.
>

>So do you always sing songs as they were origianlly written? I doubt
>it.
>
>The whole point of the matter is, the chap was merely reporting that
>the words his wife had heard all her life and why she sang it that
>way. BTW, did it ever occur to you that Disny might have changed it
>according to the various areas in which it was used? It is a
>possibility as they are known to change the wording in their videos
>and songs according to which culture they are going to. IE A Lion
>King video in India....which is Disney made and sponsered....doesn't
>necessarily have the exact same wording the one's here have...they
>don't make sense in that culture; thus they modify according to that.
>

>deantha
>--
>Deantha

just FYI, its on a CD put out by Disney, but not from one of their movies or
whatever. it has the author, publisher, etc... of this song, from 1943, so
I don't think they changed it, especially considering how many dozens of
people posted the right lyrics.

Sheila

Ravi Menon

Feb 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/11/96
kimb...@halcyon.com (Ron & Sheila Kimball) writes:

>just FYI, its on a CD put out by Disney, but not from one of their movies or
>whatever. it has the author, publisher, etc... of this song, from 1943, so
>I don't think they changed it, especially considering how many dozens of
>people posted the right lyrics.

Yes. You have said that a number of times. The CD you have is
copyright and everything. That doesn't mean there are not other
versions of it. Nor does it mean that THAT is its original form. It
merely means they have a copyright on THAT particular version.

Think of the Barney song. It's music is from "This Old Man", but the
words are different; hence the Barney folks struck gold with a
different copyright.

Now when Disney made up that cd with its copyright it was most likely
made up with the intention of selling it here in the US. However,
they MAY have made up other cds with the SAME songs, but with
potential markets say in France or Japan. Most likely those songs
have been altered a bit to fit the culture in which they are being
sold. So, EACH new version is copyright.

Take a look in a new hymnal in a church. If you look at it closely
you will see that most of the songs are copyrighted to THAT hymnal.
But, all of those songs have been around for ages. The maker of THE
hymnal will point out when and where it originated (ie The Wondrous
Cross, Matthew Diddit, 1878...arrangement Joe Smoe and Lily Bily
1978). Old songs, new copyrights.

Disney does that kind of stuff all the time. So when it was sung in
the Philipines, it might have been altered for the Philipines. Or the
people in the Philipines just might have adapted it themselves (much
like WE adapted God Save The Queen to meet our needs with Our Country
Tis of Thee).

So what they sang in the Philipines MAY be correct in its OWN WAY.

I have always heard the song sung as you presented it from the cd,
Sheila. But that doesn't mean the woman from the Philipines is wrong.
It just means I heard it the way it was sung here in the States all
these years.

Oh, and wasn't it Bing Crosby who used to sing it to the troops during
the wars...WWII (which would have preceded the 1947 date Disney
claims) and Korea??? Seems to me like he and Bob Hope used to sing
it.

Anyone know about that? Were they sponsered by Disney?

Anyhow, it still remains that what the mother from the Philipines has
to say about the song IS right to stake her claim...imo.

--
Deantha

Marion Baumgarten

Feb 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/11/96
Ron & Sheila Kimball <kimb...@halcyon.com> wrote:

> In article <287cc$ce3b.d8@NEWS>, gra...@atc.ameritel.net says...
> >

> >kimb...@halcyon.com (Ron & Sheila Kimball) wrote:
>
> >>tell your wife that 1)female goats are does and 2)what they say in the
> >>Phillipines has NOTHING to do with our children's songs!!

Joanne asked me tto post this for her as she was having problems.

People, the word is copyRIGHTED, not copywritten. As in RIGHTS of the
composer, not the composer writes a song. If you're going to rant,
Sheila,
at least get your terms straight. Failure to do so only makes you look
foolish. And would you mind this alteration so terribly if the original
poster's wife was from Minnesota or Michigan or California or some other
state, instead of from the Philippines?

That's what I thought...

Joanne
027...@informns.k12.mn.us

Billy

Feb 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/11/96
Sherry Beauchamp <s...@halcyon.com> writes:

>On 6 Feb 1996, Ron & Sheila Kimball wrote:
>
>> for the millionth time, this is a real, actual, copywritten song, from the

Copyrighted.

>> US and I don't happen to think that what they make up as verses in some
>> other country make that the right way to sing it, as the man said his wife
>> indicated it did. How ever anyone's granny, teacher, whatever sang it

Why not?

>> doesn't make it right either. I have a copywritten songbook published by
>> Disney with all the proper credits at the end of each song, which would lead
>> me to believe that this is the right set of lyrics.

So proper song lyrics are a burning issue of right and wrong for you?
Please tell us who is harmed by singing their own lyrics to a children's
song.

Billy

Ron & Sheila Kimball

Feb 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/12/96
In article <4fmabb$8...@huitzilo.tezcat.com>, mari...@tezcat.com says...

>Ron & Sheila Kimball <kimb...@halcyon.com> wrote:

>Joanne asked me tto post this for her as she was having problems.

I'm so glad she decided to slam me both pubicly and privately!

>People, the word is copyRIGHTED, not copywritten. As in RIGHTS of the
>composer, not the composer writes a song. If you're going to rant,
>Sheila,
>at least get your terms straight. Failure to do so only makes you look
>foolish. And would you mind this alteration so terribly if the original
>poster's wife was from Minnesota or Michigan or California or some other
>state, instead of from the Philippines?
>
>That's what I

then you thought wrong, yes, I would feel the same way.

>Joanne
>027...@informns.k12.mn.us

Sheila

L_MERTZMAN

Feb 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/13/96
In article <4fo34q$t...@news1.halcyon.com>

kimb...@halcyon.com (Ron & Sheila Kimball) writes:

> then you thought wrong, yes, I would feel the same way.
> >
> >Joanne
> >027...@informns.k12.mn.us
>
> Sheila

What does it matter what word she uses? Unless the woman is trying to
publish the song in some way there is no reason for concern, and even
if she were to publish the song the only person who should care is the
person who holds the copyright. Geesh. People mishear words in songs
all of the time- Billy Bragg always mentions some at his shows. People
write in that they love the line "she still has my donkey" when the
line that he's written is "she still has my doorkey". Get a life woman.

Katie's Mommy

Feb 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/17/96
> What does it matter what word she uses? Unless the woman is trying to
> publish the song in some way there is no reason for concern, and even
> if she were to publish the song the only person who should care is the
> person who holds the copyright. Geesh. ....
I realize that the song was originally composed, but it has since
passed into the realm of folk song, though this does not alter its
legal rights. Folk songs are defined partially by having many
variants (versions) with slightly different words or slightly
different tunes. This seems to fit here, doesn't it? Also, people
are mostly learning it by word of mouth tradition these days, not from
the 30's (or whenever) recording or from a songbook. Heck, most
people can't even read music these days, so it *has* to be passed
orally-----or via TV/radio (not true for this song anymore!).

Folksongs often pass to new countries; no country has exclusive "you
can sing only here" rights. Witness "Frere Jacque" from France. I
have collected 7 or so different versions of this song from various
countries, and there are millions more out there, 10 or more per
country at least. I know versions of it in French, English, Spanish,
German, Japanese, and Vietnamese. In Vietnamese, only the tune is
left; the words are about a beautiful butterfly instead (Kia con buom
vang....sorry, don't know the signs for tonal inflections on
computer). There's nothing wrong with substituting words in a folk
song. Heck, our "Star-Spangled Banner" was originally an English Pub
Drinking song! Shall we give it back?

Since this song does carry a copyright, I believe you'd have to get
permission to print any variations, or to sing it for profit, but I
don't believe it's illegal to use variants for private use. As I
said, it's passed into the folk realm in usage, but not in terms of
publishing/performing rights, I believe. <Musicological lecture off.>

Katie's Mommy

Feb 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/17/96

lcsc...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2017, 3:47:48 PM6/9/17
Does

robino...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2020, 8:22:10 AM7/24/20
On Monday, January 29, 1996 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Mike Naiditch wrote:
> There is a dispute in my family as to the lyrics of the infamous song
> entitled "Mares Eat Oats."
>
> Can you fill in the correct animal?
>
> "Mares eat oats and
> _____ eat oats and
> Little lambs eat ivy
> A kid'll eat ivy, too
> Wouldn't you?
> A kid'll eat ivy too
> Wouldn't you?"
>
> Thanks. I know this is silly, but it must be resolved. I figure if
> Banana--phana---etc. can be questioned, so can this song.

goats eat oats