Cleaning the vagina before birth?

eah...@my-dejanews.com

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
I am in the middle of something that I normally don't
like doing. I am NOT doing what my doctor said. I went
in to my prenatal appointment and she gave me vaginal
inserts to insert at night for six days. I asked her
why and she told me it is to make the vagina clean.
She gave me a broad-spectrum antimycotic with fungicidal
action and trichomonacide. The insert said "sanitation of
the birth canal should be ensured during the last 4-6wks
of pregnancy."

I was tested for Group B strep and I am negative. I don't
have a yeast infection and haven't had one in years. I didn't
have to do this with my son and I know of no one else who
has had to to do it. It just seems really odd to me and I
have elected to not take it. Anyone else have no signs of
infection and was asked to take it or any reason why I
should worry about not doing it? It just seems weird.

Thanks,
Erika

stu...@hotmail.com

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
In article <6qm6he$ftu$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

I'm with you on this Erika. This sounds wierd and unnecessary and I have
NEVER heard of this before. This sounds like something from a century ago
when they'd sterilize/shave a woman's genital area and abdomen before birth
with ether of alcohol. Even if you WERE Group Strep B positive this is not
the treatment for it.

--
Jill
Mom to 3(5,3,1) and one due in March

Jeannie

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
I never heard of such a thing. I would ask for a 2nd opinion.
--
~Jeannie~
Mom of Emily (11/96) and ??? (11-23-98)

eah...@my-dejanews.com wrote in article
<6qm6he$ftu$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

Laurel Halbany

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
On Mon, 10 Aug 1998 07:12:47 GMT, eah...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

>Anyone else have no signs of
>infection and was asked to take it or any reason why I
>should worry about not doing it? It just seems weird.

I would flat-out ask your doctor why she's asked you to do this, as it
is not part of standard medical procedure. My bet is that you're being
made part of somebody's medical study.

Kynvelyn

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
Erika,
I've had 4 children and I have never been asked to "clense" my vagina.
Did you ask her point blank why you were asked to do this?

This seems like a very strange request, and I would keep asking the
question until you get an answer that you feel comfortable with. I mean,
if you start feeling uncomfortable with your doctor's instructions now,
how are you going to feel during the actual birth if she says/does
something you don't feel comfortable with.

Just something to think about. Keep asking questions....

Kyn

In article <6qm6he$ftu$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, eah...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

>I am in the middle of something that I normally don't
>like doing. I am NOT doing what my doctor said. I went
>in to my prenatal appointment and she gave me vaginal
>inserts to insert at night for six days. I asked her
>why and she told me it is to make the vagina clean.
>She gave me a broad-spectrum antimycotic with fungicidal
>action and trichomonacide. The insert said "sanitation of
>the birth canal should be ensured during the last 4-6wks
>of pregnancy."
>
>I was tested for Group B strep and I am negative. I don't
>have a yeast infection and haven't had one in years. I didn't
>have to do this with my son and I know of no one else who
>has had to to do it. It just seems really odd to me and I

>have elected to not take it. Anyone else have no signs of

>infection and was asked to take it or any reason why I
>should worry about not doing it? It just seems weird.

t. & p. & t.

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
eah...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> I am in the middle of something that I normally don't
> like doing. I am NOT doing what my doctor said. I went
> in to my prenatal appointment and she gave me vaginal
> inserts to insert at night for six days. I asked her
> why and she told me it is to make the vagina clean.
> She gave me a broad-spectrum antimycotic with fungicidal
> action and trichomonacide.
=======
Reminds me of what happened to me after a D&C more
than 15 years ago. The doctor gave me two handouts --
one prescribing daily douching -- the other with a weight-loss
diet! Luckily I'd already read enough to know that douching
tends to be DANGEROUS (messes up the harmonious
balance in there), and I was merely amused by the diet
(I've always been overweight, though I was only about 30
pounds past "ideal" back then). I decided that the doctor
(whom I hadn't dealt with previously) probably had weird
hangups about women's smells and sizes, and ignored
everything but the post-operative MEDICAL prescriptions.
I have had all of ONE yeast infection in my life (before
then, actually) so I think the leave-it-alone method worked
pretty well. I'm with everybody else, research this and then
ask that doc some tough questions.

t.r., mom to Torin (2 1/2 this week!)

eah...@my-dejanews.com

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
ednorton--spamless*@seanet.com wrote:
> I'm with everybody else, research this and then
> ask that doc some tough questions.

Well, I did ask her why and she told me "to make
the vagina clean." It was sort of funny at the
time because the conversation got so confused, I
just thought I would wait until I got the medicine
from the pharmacy to see exactly what it was.
So far, I am using Evening Primrose oil and a little
help from my husband to get labour started and I just
don't see the need to add a fungacide to the mix!
I spoke to some other expats who are here and pregnant
and found out that the hospitals still routinely
give enemas too.... I don't think the nurses are going
to like me when I refuse one. :) I am already going
to be in trouble with them when I refuse to let them
automatically give "tea" or "glucose water" to the
babies.

Anyway, thanks for the reassurances that this isn't
some new fangled practice that I don't know about.

Erika
Stella and Elias due in august!

Laurel Halbany

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
On Tue, 11 Aug 1998 12:47:02 GMT, eah...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

>Well, I did ask her why and she told me "to make
>the vagina clean."

Unless you have a vaginal infection, your vagina *is* clean; that's
why you have a mild discharge every day. Upsetting the chemical and
bacterial balance can lead to infection, not prevent it!

Dorothy

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
I'd like to add my agreement to gretchen.

Do however consider that some forms of "vaginitis" do not have symptomes. I
would ask the doctor just what it is that she thinks you have. If there is
no medical reason, I would ignore her advice.

Jenn Scott

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
I remember when I had my son, the nurses helped me to the bathroom(I had to
go) and then said while we're in here lets do the enema. Excuse me, I don't
think so. They said it needed to be done. I told them flat out they we're
not going to do that. I would have started kicking and screaming if they
tried. They did put up a minimal fight, it felt more like that they saw it
as hospital policy, but they we're not real keen on the idea. This also
reminds me of when a friend of mine had her son. Her labor wasn't
progessing and the DR. wanted to break her waters. She told him no, the
baby will come on his own. He picked up the instrumen to break her water,
she grabbed it out of his hand and THREW it across the room and told him(in
a polite voice too) that he was not going to break her water. He smiled,
looked at the nurse and said Guess we're not going to break her water after
all. Keep up the refusals, sometimes it may seem easier to go along with
what the hospital wants. STICK TO YOUR GUNS!!! Good Luck when the time
comes.

Jenn S.

Larry McMahan

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
eah...@my-dejanews.com writes:
: I am in the middle of something that I normally don't

: like doing. I am NOT doing what my doctor said. I went
: in to my prenatal appointment and she gave me vaginal
: inserts to insert at night for six days. I asked her
: why and she told me it is to make the vagina clean.
: She gave me a broad-spectrum antimycotic with fungicidal
: action and trichomonacide. The insert said "sanitation of

: the birth canal should be ensured during the last 4-6wks
: of pregnancy."

Run, don't walk to a different doctor. I would be concerned
that by destroying the normal flora in your vagina, the
treatment would make it more hospitable for undesirable
flora. This sounds not only unnecessary, but dangerous.

Larry

KB&KB

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
Obviously, the inserts are meant to cleanse the vagina for *some* reson,
however I would certianly call your Dr and ask her *why* she has you
doing this.

Especially since you have chosen not to follow her instructions. When
she gave them to you did she just say, "here do this"?? Or did she give
an explanation?

If it were me, I would also report to my health insurance carrier that
this physician is not given proper instruction when administering
medications. A big no-no in managed care!!

Kristin

youngfr...@gmail.com

Apr 10, 2020, 4:17:40 AM4/10/20
Gt