tears healing without stitches?

teapot

Jun 28, 2003, 3:41:44 PM6/28/03
I had my son at home almost 3 weeks ago and despite massaging my
perineum for weeks beforehand I managed to get a one inch long 2nd
degree tear in my pereneum. The idea of anyone stitching me after
this was unaceeptable so I opted to heal naturally. The whole tear
thing isnt as bad as I thought it would be and I am healing really
quickly using arnica tablets and alow vera gel on sanitary towels and
lavender tea in the bath.

Has anyone else opted to heal naturally from a similar tear? If so,
how did it go and when do you think I can have sex again?

teapot
mum to Toffee who hates the internet 8th june 03

andrea

Jun 28, 2003, 4:27:07 PM6/28/03
I also had a bad tear after my 1st baby in hospital. I had had a hard
labour, and they said "let's get you stitched up". I told her bluntly that
after her having her whole hand up me to drag out the placenta, (after she
had pulled on the cord and snapped it), there was no way in hell she was
stitching me.
She told me frankly that my vagina wouldn't look the same if I refused, but
I didn't care ( I was only 18). I let it heal on it's own, and I admit I can
tell, but how many people look anyway? It did me an enourmous favour unknown
to me at the time - it allowed me to birth 4 more babies without tearing, it
gave me the extra elasticity I needed.
So I definatley think you have done the right thing, and Arnica is
fantastic.

--
Andrea mom of -
Peter 7, Ellie 5, Alden 3, Joseph 21 mths & little munchie man Kamron 2
"teapot" <lisa...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

silvasurfa

Jun 29, 2003, 2:46:59 AM6/29/03

"teapot" <lisa...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

It is a bit late for you, but just in case anyone else wants to refuse
stitches...

Apparently there is a medical version of superglue. It doesn't hold things
as securely as stitches do, but it is certainly better than nothing. It has
been used in tear repair before. They glue the tear together then you stay
put as long as possible and avoid moving the area. If you really hate the
idea of being stitched, make sure there is some on hand for your birth. I've
seen the stuff used on small cuts on other parts of the body, and it is
effective and easy. It wears away in a few days, no problems.

BTW, once baby is born there is the option of having a quick shot of local
anaesthetic in the bum to get stitched up. Just because you've put up with
contractions for some hours doesn't mean you need endure discomfort during
stitching if you don't want to.

Stephanie and Tim

Jun 30, 2003, 3:30:02 PM6/30/03

"teapot" <lisa...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

I am curious to you non-stichers. What's wrong with being stiched? I would
think things would heal faster that way?

Thanks

Ericka Kammerer

Jun 30, 2003, 3:37:39 PM6/30/03
Stephanie and Tim wrote:

> I am curious to you non-stichers. What's wrong with being stiched? I would
> think things would heal faster that way?

It depends on the tear. The first time I only had a little
bitty tear that didn't need it. I think those who don't have
somewhat larger tears stitched probably just don't want to go
through the stitching process (which ain't fun even with
anesthetic). I suppose at a certain size, it becomes more
important to get the tear stitched. I don't really know where
my dividing line would be for getting a tear stitched, but I'm
hoping not to find out ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Stephanie and Tim

Jun 30, 2003, 4:27:34 PM6/30/03

"Ericka Kammerer" <e...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Ha. I am blessedly completely unable to remember getting stiched. My doc
said today "Maybe you won't be as long this time and won't have a 9 lb 3 oz
baby!" I said I do not care if I have a 9 lb baby. I have no recollection
of delivering 9 lb DS. So it couldn't have been THAT bad.

Anne Rogers

Jun 30, 2003, 4:47:18 PM6/30/03
> I am curious to you non-stichers. What's wrong with being stiched? I would
> think things would heal faster that way?

stitches are more likely to get infected, everyone I've met who has had
them has been desperate not to have them again, I had a 2nd degree tear
that was left unstitched and it healed really well, other than when going
to the toilet I was more bothered by general bruising and soreness. I'm
rubbing wheatgerm oil into it when I remember to keep the scar tissue
soft.

Stephanie and Tim

Jun 30, 2003, 7:53:16 PM6/30/03

"Anne Rogers" <Anne....@nospam.cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote in message

Well, count me the one person who is not desparate to not have them again.
Though, who knows, it could be largely a matter of perspective since I had
no idea until this very day that there was a choice. Nice to get the info!

Stephanie

Cheryl S.

Jun 30, 2003, 9:38:28 PM6/30/03
Stephanie and Tim <stowevtcanne...@sover.net> wrote in message

> Well, count me the one person who is not desparate to not
> have them again. Though, who knows, it could be largely a
> matter of perspective since I had no idea until this very day
> that there was a choice. Nice to get the info!

And count me "two". :-) I also had no problems with my stitches at
all, for a second degree tear.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 3 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

toypup

Jun 30, 2003, 9:56:55 PM6/30/03

"Cheryl S." <spamf...@address.com> wrote in message

> Stephanie and Tim <stowevtcanne...@sover.net> wrote in message
> > Well, count me the one person who is not desparate to not
> > have them again. Though, who knows, it could be largely a
> > matter of perspective since I had no idea until this very day
> > that there was a choice. Nice to get the info!
>
> And count me "two". :-) I also had no problems with my stitches at
> all, for a second degree tear.

Me three. No problem with stitches for a fourth degree tear.

Phoebe & Allyson

Jun 30, 2003, 10:38:08 PM6/30/03
Anne Rogers wrote:

> everyone I've met who has had
> them has been desperate not to have them again

Mine didn't give me any trouble. The worst part wasn't the
stitching (which I did feel, despite the local), but the
tummy-mashing to squish enough blood out to give the midwife
a clear field for the next stitch. That was worse than the
rest of the labor & delivery!

Phoebe :)

JoAnna

Jul 1, 2003, 10:51:00 AM7/1/03

"Anne Rogers" <Anne....@nospam.cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote in message

i had stitches the 1st time w/my 10lb7oz son and this time also with my
10lb5oz daughter. after pushing out those big babies i can't see how the
discomfort of stitches is a problem. no infections, btw. i'm not saying it
was fun but i certainly wasn't 'desperate' to avoid them...just my 2 cents.

joanna

Circe

Jul 1, 2003, 11:50:59 AM7/1/03

Me four. I've wound up stitched after each birth, though with Vernon, I
might have opted not to have the mild perineal tear stitched had I not also
had a labial tear that nicked an artery--very messy!

My mother, however, had an infected stitch after I was born and was *very*
sick as a result.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [7/22/97], Aurora [7/19/99], and Vernon's [3/2/02] mom)

"Loose weight, feel great!" -- fair booth sign

What does it all mean? I have *no* idea. But it's my life and I like it.

Circe

Jul 1, 2003, 11:53:24 AM7/1/03
Ericka Kammerer wrote:
> I think those who don't have
> somewhat larger tears stitched probably just don't want to go
> through the stitching process (which ain't fun even with
> anesthetic).

Having been stitched thrice, I have to say that the only time it was
noticeably unpleasant was when my labial tear was being stitched after
Vernon was born. The injection of the local there was NOT nice and it didn't
completely "take" across the entire area that was stitched, so I winced a
bit a few times. That said, that tear *had* to be stitched--it nicked an
artery and I was spurting blood everywhere every time my heart beat!

Anne Rogers

Jul 1, 2003, 12:53:10 PM7/1/03
> Me four. I've wound up stitched after each birth, though with Vernon, I
> might have opted not to have the mild perineal tear stitched had I not also
> had a labial tear that nicked an artery--very messy!
>
> My mother, however, had an infected stitch after I was born and was *very*
> sick as a result.

well it's clearly not everyone who has stitches who had a problem, I had
both my mother and mother-in-law telling me how terrible the healing of
their stitches were (both after episiotomies I think) throughout my
pregnancy, which really put me off. I'm hoping to be intact this time, I
had a small baby (5lb 13oz) but I didn't manage to pant at the right time
and tore.

Cheryl S.

Jul 1, 2003, 1:27:33 PM7/1/03

> well it's clearly not everyone who has stitches who had a
> problem, I had both my mother and mother-in-law telling
> me how terrible the healing of their stitches were (both
> after episiotomies I think) throughout my pregnancy, which
> really put me off.

It's probably their episiotomies that were more directly responsible for
their discomfort, not the stitches (though stitches that are too tight
can also cause discomfort if there is any swelling). A tear is a
natural separation of the tissue and heals more comfortably than a cut.
I wonder why your mom and MIL felt the need to tell you how terrible it
was so often, while you were pregnant! That's not a very nice thing to
do, really.

teapot

Jul 1, 2003, 2:12:20 PM7/1/03
"Stephanie and Tim" <stowevtcanne...@sover.net> wrote in message news:<1R%La.6084$E5....@fe01.atl2.webusenet.com>...
there was just no way that anyone was going to touch me after i had
had my son. also, we had to go to hospital after he was born cos he
didnt breath properly (nothing to do with a home birth) and hospitals
freak me. i might have had stitches if i was still at home.

teapot

teapot

Jul 1, 2003, 2:16:27 PM7/1/03
"andrea" <andre...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<XRmLa.412$Qa6...@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk>...

> I also had a bad tear after my 1st baby in hospital. I had had a hard
> labour, and they said "let's get you stitched up". I told her bluntly that
> after her having her whole hand up me to drag out the placenta, (after she
> had pulled on the cord and snapped it), there was no way in hell she was
> stitching me.
> She told me frankly that my vagina wouldn't look the same if I refused, but
> I didn't care ( I was only 18). I let it heal on it's own, and I admit I can
> tell, but how many people look anyway? It did me an enourmous favour unknown
> to me at the time - it allowed me to birth 4 more babies without tearing, it
> gave me the extra elasticity I needed.
> So I definatley think you have done the right thing, and Arnica is
> fantastic.

yep, i am healing unevenly but then the career as a centerfold wasnt
really taking off so it doesnt really matter :-)

glad your decision worked out well, i am really looking forward to
being able to have sex again, do you think the 6 weeks mark is
accurate or will it be later because I havent had stitches?

teapot
and hungry boy

teapot

andrea

Jul 1, 2003, 4:35:41 PM7/1/03
> yep, i am healing unevenly but then the career as a centerfold wasnt
> really taking off so it doesnt really matter :-)

> teapot
> and hungry boy

> lol, well I just add it my other list of my glamorous qualities like
external piles that still haven't gone, or my stretchies lol.

> glad your decision worked out well, i am really looking forward to
> being able to have sex again, do you think the 6 weeks mark is
> accurate or will it be later because I havent had stitches?

> Well you won't believe this, and people are probably gonna shoot me but
here goes. With my firsts baby I waited 3 weeks, due to the tear. With baby
numbers 2, 3 and 4 sex resumed within the first week and was fantastic! I
think it's due to the fact that as soon as i'm pregnant I go off sex all the
way till after the baby is born.

This time we havent yet, but am planning to as soon as Kamron the munchie
man gives us a chance! I don't think there is much risk of infection this
time, as we will use condoms. I was unaware of infection risks with the
others, diff dr's give so much conflicting advice, some say 6 weeks, some
say do it whenever your ready.

The tear didn't stop me, I think you should wait till your bleeding has
stopped which indicates the cervix has closed, and take it slowly and use
lubrication, as breastfeeding moms are more prone to vaginal dryness.If it
hurts, leave it and try again another time.

I find there becomes a time when you can't fight the urges, that's what
happened with babies numbers 2, 3 and 4! It wasn't planned to happen so
soon! kind of a 'heat of the moment' thing!

I once read somewhere (this is a bit rude), that women especially with
stitches should masturbate to see how it feels at first before having sex!

--
Andrea mom of -

Peter 7, Ellie 5, Alden 3, Joseph 21 mths & little munchie man Kamron 3

toypup

Jul 1, 2003, 8:32:06 PM7/1/03

"Cheryl S." <spamf...@address.com> wrote in message
> Stephanie and Tim <stowevtcanne...@sover.net> wrote in message
> > Well, count me the one person who is not desparate to not
> > have them again. Though, who knows, it could be largely a
> > matter of perspective since I had no idea until this very day
> > that there was a choice. Nice to get the info!
>
> And count me "two". :-) I also had no problems with my stitches at
> all, for a second degree tear.

Me three. No problem with stitches for a fourth degree tear.

toypup

Jul 1, 2003, 8:32:06 PM7/1/03

"Cheryl S." <spamf...@address.com> wrote in message
> Stephanie and Tim <stowevtcanne...@sover.net> wrote in message
> > Well, count me the one person who is not desparate to not
> > have them again. Though, who knows, it could be largely a
> > matter of perspective since I had no idea until this very day
> > that there was a choice. Nice to get the info!
>
> And count me "two". :-) I also had no problems with my stitches at
> all, for a second degree tear.

Me three. No problem with stitches for a fourth degree tear.

toypup

Jul 1, 2003, 8:32:06 PM7/1/03

"Cheryl S." <spamf...@address.com> wrote in message
> Stephanie and Tim <stowevtcanne...@sover.net> wrote in message
> > Well, count me the one person who is not desparate to not
> > have them again. Though, who knows, it could be largely a
> > matter of perspective since I had no idea until this very day
> > that there was a choice. Nice to get the info!
>
> And count me "two". :-) I also had no problems with my stitches at
> all, for a second degree tear.

Me three. No problem with stitches for a fourth degree tear.

toypup

Jul 2, 2003, 12:18:11 AM7/2/03

> Anne Rogers <Anne....@nospam.cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote in message
> > well it's clearly not everyone who has stitches who had a
> > problem, I had both my mother and mother-in-law telling
> > me how terrible the healing of their stitches were (both
> > after episiotomies I think) throughout my pregnancy, which
> > really put me off.
>
> It's probably their episiotomies that were more directly responsible for
> their discomfort, not the stitches (though stitches that are too tight
> can also cause discomfort if there is any swelling). A tear is a
> natural separation of the tissue and heals more comfortably than a cut.
> I wonder why your mom and MIL felt the need to tell you how terrible it
> was so often, while you were pregnant! That's not a very nice thing to
> do, really.

Didn't people do that to you? They did to me. I thought it was normal.
Anyway, I think it was a good thing. I expected the worst, and it wasn't as
bad as I thought.

toypup

Jul 2, 2003, 12:19:24 AM7/2/03

"toypup" <toy...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Sorry guys. AT&T is now Comcast and the switch has glitches.

Stephanie S

Jul 2, 2003, 2:09:54 PM7/2/03

"Anne Rogers" <Anne....@nospam.cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote in message

OOOO small baby. I am jealous. ;) My son was 9 lb and 3 oz. Don't they say
something about the subsequent ones being BIGGER? I won't think about that.
It does not matter, I will forget labor within a year if this time is
anything like last.

Stephanie S

Jul 2, 2003, 2:11:33 PM7/2/03

"toypup" <toy...@comcast.net> wrote in message

My mom was the exact opposite. Her attitude is that having babies is easy.
She had six. For her it became a little restful vacation in the hospital
away from the rest of the kids. Her thought was that the fear is far worse
than the pain. I agree with this. Fear was my biggest obstacle. For once my
techniques of mind-over-matter did not work for me.

Stephanie S

Jul 2, 2003, 2:12:08 PM7/2/03

"toypup" <toy...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Ew. Forth degree. That's the one that goes all the way to the anus, right? I
must have had a third because I do not go "all the way" but just shy.

toypup

Jul 3, 2003, 1:20:12 AM7/3/03

"Stephanie S" <st...@vsac.orgnospam> wrote in message

Yep. DS was only 5 pounds, very tiny. They said they wanted to cut me. I
said no. The doc said, "But you'll tear." I said, "Then let me tear."
Then, she told me the truth, the baby was having trouble, she wanted it out
ASAP. So, she cut as I was pushing, I tore immediately, but DS was out just
as fast. I saw the monitor strip afterwards, and yeah, if I'd seen that
during the delivery, it might have hampered things a bit. He really was
having trouble. The doc was sorry about the tear. She said she didn't like
it that I tore so much and the baby was so small.

teapot

Jul 6, 2003, 6:06:41 AM7/6/03
lisa...@yahoo.co.uk (teapot) wrote in message news:<438ce6ab.03062...@posting.google.com>...

> I had my son at home almost 3 weeks ago and despite massaging my
> perineum for weeks beforehand I managed to get a one inch long 2nd
> degree tear in my pereneum. The idea of anyone stitching me after
> this was unaceeptable so I opted to heal naturally. The whole tear
> thing isnt as bad as I thought it would be and I am healing really
> quickly using arnica tablets and alow vera gel on sanitary towels and
> lavender tea in the bath.
>
> Has anyone else opted to heal naturally from a similar tear? If so,
> how did it go and when do you think I can have sex again?
>
> teapot
> mum to Toffee who hates the internet 8th june 03

I just thought I should add that before I had the baby I was realy
scared of tearing, and when it happened it was not such a big deal,
the important thing really was to have a health baby. 4 weeks on
without stitches and I am healing nicely, almost all done and I'll let
you know what the doctor says in a couple of weeks at my 6 week check
up.

Teapot

sweet...@gmail.com

May 1, 2018, 4:30:30 PM5/1/18
Not really because I had a 2nd tear and one stitch came out and for me to takes the same amount of time to heal. Everyone is different and your body will never be the same anyway. My privates feel good at 4 wks pp but they are tighting up on there own even the place where the stitch was at.