Kids and Cell phone - How technology separated parent and kids

safiyyah

Jun 13, 2007, 10:14:59 PM6/13/07
This is a silent killer to parent and kids relationship . Nowadays,
cell phone becomes part of everybody's life. This gadget is the most
important thing we put in our handbag or pouch. However, the most
important thing in every parent's life is of course, the child.

A report by Marilyn Heins at azstarnet said, "Kids get short-changed
when Mommy is talking to a person on the phone instead of the child
right there" I always saw mommies and daddies busy talking to the
phone whilst the kids are around at shopping complexes, restaurants
and even when walking on the road!

We should consider kids as a friend and a beloved one. If we can
entertain friends well, why not give full attention to our kids . Let
them get the love and attention , which belong to them. This is their
right to get good attention from you, their parent.

Why not turn off the phone while you are with your kids . Let the
technology do the task for you by letting people leave the message
while the phone is not alive (I mean turned off).

Kids grow very fast. No matter how good we are, we must spend quality
time with them in order to get to teach them and look for their needs.
We never knew how fast they did grow, but as long as we are always
with them, we will always get to know them, as their playmate, their
teacher and then their best friend.

I will never deny the important of this "talking gadget", but we
ourself could not have denied how important our child is. So, why not
make a wise choice by giving the kids what they deserve.

Why on earth should we spare the cell phone for friends or colleague
or work, then neglect our duty as a parent

best regard,
vee
http://www.kidsmanual.duniamama.com

Louise

Jun 14, 2007, 12:51:54 PM6/14/07
On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 22:14:59 EDT, safiyyah <Safiyya...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>This is a silent killer to parent and kids relationship . Nowadays,
>cell phone becomes part of everybody's life. This gadget is the most
>important thing we put in our handbag or pouch. However, the most
>important thing in every parent's life is of course, the child.

Welcome to misc.kids.moderated! I've seen you posting this article in
other places around USENET, but I haven't noticed you in misc.kids.mod
before.

This is a great group, partly because of the moderation but also
because it is full of parents who write about their own individual
experiences and who make suggestions to others with questions, based
on that experience.

>We should consider kids as a friend and a beloved one. If we can
>entertain friends well, why not give full attention to our kids . Let
>them get the love and attention , which belong to them. This is their
>right to get good attention from you, their parent.
>
>Why not turn off the phone while you are with your kids . Let the
>technology do the task for you by letting people leave the message
>while the phone is not alive (I mean turned off).

I can't tell much from your article about what your own experience is.
Why did you come to write about this?

I actually haven't seen this problem myself at all, but then I live in
Canada, where cell phone use is less common than it is in Europe or
Asia and possibly than in the USA as well. The more common parenting
issues around cell phone use that I encounter are things like what
guidelines and restrictions families and schools should place on cell
phone use by children and teenagers, and about whether cell-phone use
by car drivers sets a bad example and endangers others. What do you
do when your choices as a parent conflict with the rules of the school
or the customs of your child's friends? That kind of thing.

Louise

Banty

Jun 14, 2007, 12:53:20 PM6/14/07
In article <1181551693.7...@n15g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, safiyyah
says...

::snip::

>Why on earth should we spare the cell phone for friends or colleague
>or work, then neglect our duty as a parent

I happen to think that cell phones are a force in deteriorating public social
life in general.

But it's a matter of applying consideration and having a sense of time and place
and what is reasonable.

When applied to parents and kids out in public - sure, a parent yammering away
on the cell incessantly can be a detriment to his kids. (Wait - let me look -
oh, you refer to "Mommy". So - Dads can and Mom's can't?) And, yes, they grow
up fast and it's way too easy to fritter those less than two decades away
half-distracted from the miracle of one's own children growing up.

But two things to keep in mind when looking at any particular parent and child
in public.

Firstly, one can't possibly know how much or how disruptive the cell phone habit
is. It *is* a lifeline to the other parent and friends to, for example, meet
somewhere in the next hour or so for family activities. I'll bet dollars to
donuts that's a good half of what you're seeing when you look at parents with
kids who are talking on a cell.

Secondly, it's not like every child (or adult for that matter) wants or needs
the someone talking talking talking to them any moment he's spending talking to
others. They may welcome the break! Although I'd agree that it may increase
the time a parent is distracted from them (and the world around him or her in
general!) and that's a waste. But consider that those who are overusing the
cell in this way might well have not been paying much attention to the kids to
begin with. Or a parent might have consistently had them wait time and time
again while he visits with the people he sees out in public. Some people are
just yakkers. So with the cell, the kids may be glad that they can even
continue to get somewhere while the parent gets his yammer fixes!

Banty

Abby

Aug 14, 2007, 8:23:40 AM8/14/07

I don't know...I have mixed emotions about it. It seems to me that I
can sit in the living room for 2 hours and all of my 4 children are
content to play in their rooms but the minute I get on the house phone
or the cell they magically appear and have something to say or a
question to ask me. It's funny but it always seems that way. My oldest
girl (9) wants her own phone- of course- so I got her a prepaid phone
that I can lock certain numbers into and thats all she can call and I
get her minutes for it as a reward for jobs well done. I use my cell
for work mostly and the conversations tend to become quite long
sometimes but I try to explain while I am on it that I am at home with
my kids so the breaks in conversation are expected. I really try not
to just let them do whatever they want while I am on the phone. I try
to stay watchful. I believe people should practice phone edaqite ( I
cant seem to spell that word lol) There is way too much talking in
public places not to mention the way people cut off conversations with
people that are right in front of them to answer the phone. Isn't that
why we have voice mail? If it is that important they will call back
later!! Children come first in every situation.