Is your school offering healthy foods or soda machines?

JB

Apr 12, 2004, 8:50:30 PM4/12/04
As an interested parent I would like to direct your attention to
efforts made by several school districts in California to increase
student awareness of the importance of fitness and nutrition. The
Linking Education Activity and Food (LEAF) Pilot Program, funded by
California's SB19, ends in June, but there are several lessons learned
by the districts which may be helpful to other districts nationwide
interested in benefiting students' health.

http://hometown.aol.com/edubeat/LEAFindex.html

I am interested in spreading the word further than our district
because I believe the students are benefiting from the healthier food
choices on campus, the removal of soda machines and junk food, and
even sales of junkfood for fundraisers. (Contrary to what they
expected, our fund raisers have discovered they CAN make as much money
selling non-junkfood items.)

Please see this link to find PDF Files of the Orcutt newsletters and
links to other schools taking part in the program.

Print out the newsletters...take them to your schools, your
superintendents, your private schools, your school board members. Take
them to your mayors, supervisors, whoever might be able to learn from
them...and perhaps make some changes that will benefit our children.