early teething

Mel

Apr 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/11/98

Hello everyone! I have been away for awhile, because Cypress has been
pretty fussy lately and seemed to be getting a cold. I couldn't figure it
out until I felt her gums and noticed a piece of tooth had cut through!
She is 10 weeks old, and seems to be getting all 4 incisors (the "fang"
teeth)!

Unfortunately, all of the teething remedies seem to be designed for older
babies :( Mostly I just give her my finger to chew on when she needs it,
which works some of the time. I was thinking of giving her some of the
homeopathic pellets dissolved in water in an eye dropper, but she's so
small I really hate to "give" her anything except bm. Am I just being
paranoid?

Of course my mom thinks this means the end of bf, since she's too young to
teach not to bite (Cypress, not my mom, that is). She has not tried this
yet, but still has more lumps than teeth. I certainly hope it won't be
that easy to discourage me, but I would prefer to not get bitten all the
time.

Has anybody else had a baby get teeth so early? I would be interested in
what solutions you found.

Thank you again,

Melanie, mother of Cypress (soon to be "Fang") born 1/27/98

Sheryl

Apr 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/11/98

My Ashley got her first tooth at 3 1\2 mos. It was a bottom tooth, so it
really didn't present a problem since her tongue covered it when she nursed.
I don't really know what you could do except to just keep nursing and don't
stop because there *may* be a problem. I did use baby Orajel on her....I
didn't know it was for older babies. It worked like a charm. I would put it
on her before nursing (it hurt her to nurse) and she would nurse just fine.
She doesn't seem to have any adverse effects from it. If she does bite you,
sometimes a "yelp" out of you will scare her enough to not do it again....kind
of sad to see them get scared, though. I can't think of anything else. Good
luck!

Sheryl
mom to Jordan Rose and Ashley 11mos.

Barbara Fraire

Apr 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/11/98

In article <01bd6526$d9485200$ca8ea3ce@remacasprowiak>, "Mel"
<remacas...@proaxis.com> wrote:

>Hello everyone! I have been away for awhile, because Cypress has been
>pretty fussy lately and seemed to be getting a cold. I couldn't figure it
>out until I felt her gums and noticed a piece of tooth had cut through!
>She is 10 weeks old, and seems to be getting all 4 incisors (the "fang"
>teeth)!

Althoughy Julian didn't cut his first tooth until 7 mos. (right on
schedule), he had fussy, teething behavior from 8 weeks on. I really
expected him to cut a tooth at the age Cypress has and felt sorry for him
that he had to feel the discomfort of teething for 5 months before getting
any results! So you could look at it as a bright side!

>Unfortunately, all of the teething remedies seem to be designed for older
>babies :( Mostly I just give her my finger to chew on when she needs it,
>which works some of the time. I was thinking of giving her some of the
>homeopathic pellets dissolved in water in an eye dropper, but she's so
>small I really hate to "give" her anything except bm. Am I just being
>paranoid?

I believe I had given Julian Tylenol several times by the time he was 10
weeks old because he had a cold with a fever. I administered the meds on the
advice of the pediatrician, of course. I really don't think Tylenol is
dangerous unless your child ends up living on it. I'd suggest calling your
ped for advice.

Also, at her age, you might get a couple of those teething rings filled with
water that you cool in the fridge. You'll have to hold it for her, of
course, but you'll probably find it helps. Julian also liked to (and still
does) chew on our fingers, but that can get painful for mom and dad!

>Of course my mom thinks this means the end of bf, since she's too young to
>teach not to bite (Cypress, not my mom, that is). She has not tried this
>yet, but still has more lumps than teeth. I certainly hope it won't be
>that easy to discourage me, but I would prefer to not get bitten all the
>time.

She *can* be taught not to bite. In fact, even the upper teeth can't bite
you when she's nursing properly. She can only bite when she is not actually
suckling. My suggestion for biting troubles, even at this tender age, is to
simply remove her from your breast, put her down in her crib or bassinet or
give her to her dad, and then don't nurse her for a few minutes. When you
put her back to the breast, if she repeats the behavior, repeat this
prescription. She'll learn!

Julian, BTW, used to bite with his gums when he was that age, and doing what
I've described above worked. He has never bitten me with his soon-to-be
three teeth.

Be well, Barbara (Julian's mom)
===============================
"Suppose you were a member of congress. Suppose you were an idiot. But I
repeat myself." - Mark Twain

All typos herein apologized for in advance; Julian is probably on my lap!
Remove "l" from circle (making it circe) in e-mail address to reply.

Kent & Kat

Apr 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/11/98
to Mel

Mel wrote:
> Hello everyone! I have been away for awhile, because Cypress has been
> pretty fussy lately and seemed to be getting a cold. I couldn't
> figure it out until I felt her gums and noticed a piece of tooth had
> cut through! She is 10 weeks old, and seems to be getting all 4
> incisors (the "fang" teeth)!

> Unfortunately, all of the teething remedies seem to be designed for

> older babies :( Mostly I just give her my finger to chew on when she
> needs it, which works some of the time. I was thinking of giving her
> some of the homeopathic pellets dissolved in water in an eye dropper,
> but she's so small I really hate to "give" her anything except bm. Am
> I just being paranoid?

> Of course my mom thinks this means the end of bf, since she's too

> young to teach not to bite (Cypress, not my mom, that is). She has
> not tried this yet, but still has more lumps than teeth. I certainly
> hope it won't be that easy to discourage me, but I would prefer to not
> get bitten all the time.
>

> Has anybody else had a baby get teeth so early? I would be interested
> in what solutions you found.
>
> Thank you again,
>
> Melanie, mother of Cypress (soon to be "Fang") born 1/27/98

I don't know of any reason not to use the homeopathic
remedies. I used the 'colic' remedies for Corwyn at this
age. But rather than the pellets I used the tablets...they
are basically sugar pills and dissolve quickly. I would
just pour out two to four in the cap and then pop them into
his mouth. Worked like a charm. You can also call & ask
the ped about tylanol/motrin when she gets really bad.
Corwyn had a really bad time every time he cut teeth and our
ped suggested that we alternate tylanol & motrin for the
best effect. If Cypress isn't biting yet, she may not at
all (some lucky moms have babies who don't!). If she does
start to bite, just unlatch her for a minute. Generally,
when they bite, they do so at the end of a feed and you will
see them start to clamp down before they actually bite.
When you see a clue that they are about to bite you just
unlatch them. Let your mom know that babies are perfectly
capable of learning not to bite, even at this age. After
all, she has already learned who her parents & grandparents
are! <grin> Best of luck!

Kat mom to Corwyn (3-24-96) & Jennifer (8-10-93)
e-mailed & posted

Eva & Matthias Ettmayr

Apr 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/12/98

>Unfortunately, all of the teething remedies seem to be designed for older
>babies :( Mostly I just give her my finger to chew on when she needs it,
>which works some of the time. I was thinking of giving her some of the
>homeopathic pellets dissolved in water in an eye dropper, but she's so
>small I really hate to "give" her anything except bm. Am I just being
>paranoid?

No need to get paranoid about the homeopathic pellets - they consist
of lactose. You could dissolve them in a few drops of EBM but my
children managed to take them just as they are without choking, they
melt easily in the mouth.

Eva
voice: +49 (0)8142 400067
fax: +49 (0)8142 400068

Larry McMahan

Apr 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/13/98

Hi, I see Monika hasn't responded yet, so I will since Clara started
teething early.

Mel (remacas...@proaxis.com) writes:
: Hello everyone! I have been away for awhile, because Cypress has been

: pretty fussy lately and seemed to be getting a cold. I couldn't figure it
: out until I felt her gums and noticed a piece of tooth had cut through!
: She is 10 weeks old, and seems to be getting all 4 incisors (the "fang"
: teeth)!

Yup. Welcome to the world of the dentally enabled! :-)

: Unfortunately, all of the teething remedies seem to be designed for older

: babies :( Mostly I just give her my finger to chew on when she needs it,
: which works some of the time. I was thinking of giving her some of the
: homeopathic pellets dissolved in water in an eye dropper, but she's so
: small I really hate to "give" her anything except bm. Am I just being
: paranoid?

Another poster suggested colic remedies. Along this line, you might try
drinking tea made of fennel seeds. A heaping teaspoon to a cup or a heaping
tablespoon to a pot. We never had to give Clara anything else. We did
get a violet root to chwe on, a popular remedy in Germany.

: Of course my mom thinks this means the end of bf, since she's too young to

: teach not to bite (Cypress, not my mom, that is). She has not tried this
: yet, but still has more lumps than teeth. I certainly hope it won't be
: that easy to discourage me, but I would prefer to not get bitten all the
: time.

Yes, she can be taught not to bite. Yes, she will occasionally bite anyway.
The good news is that she rarely bites hard enough to break the skin. :-)
The bad news is that if she does break the skin, it makes a better breeding
ground for thrush (as Monika found out). Clara was always more likely to
bite as she latched off.

: Has anybody else had a baby get teeth so early? I would be interested in
: what solutions you found.

Patience, forebearance, and stoicism work real well! :-) Seriously, gently
reminding her not to bite each time will have the desire effect over the
long term.

: Thank you again,

: Melanie, mother of Cypress (soon to be "Fang") born 1/27/98

Larry

Woo Lai Chang

Apr 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/15/98

Mel <remacas...@proaxis.com> wrote in article
<01bd6526$d9485200$ca8ea3ce@remacasprowiak>...

> Of course my mom thinks this means the end of bf, since she's too young
> teach not to bite (Cypress, not my mom, that is). She has not tried this

> yet, but still has more lumps than teeth...

> Has anybody else had a baby get teeth so early? I would be interested in
> what solutions you found.

My baby's bottom front teeth started pushing through at birth, and by 2
months, her top teeth had come through too. After she bit me hard enough
to break skin, I tried the usual method of teaching babies not to bite -
i.e. removed her from the breast and told her firmly "no biting" every time
she did it. I let her cry on the bed for a minute or so before picking her
up and putting her back to the breast again. She understood after a day,
and stopped her biting.

So, you may be surprised by how much Cypress can be taught at this age.

Lai-Chang
Mommy to Vivi (2.75yo) and baby Calla (due Jul/Aug)

eriqu...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2018, 8:08:21 AM8/2/18
Teething in babies refers to the appearance of the first teeth through the gums of the baby. The way baby's teeth differs to a great extent which is why it is important to know all about teething so that you can offer your child every comfort while he/she is teething. Babies usually start teething at the age of 6 months. The process may, however, begin as soon as 3 months and may get as delayed as 12 months. The first teeth to appear are the lower front ones (also known as incisors), followed by the appearance of top two middle ones and then the ones on the side and back. The order is not strictly followed, though. The complete set of primary teeth, consisting of 20 teeth, appears by the age of 3 years. The permanent teeth start coming in at the age of 6 years.

For more on teething and simple steps to help relieve the discomfort associated with teething in babies, click the link below :)

http://www.best4babyandmom.com/article6.shtml
http://www.best4babyandmom.com/teething.php