ot - nappy/diaper fabric

1 view

teapot

Jul 31, 2003, 9:54:46 AM7/31/03
My small is in real nappies and I'd like to try to save some money by
making the wraps. Has anyone in the UK managed to find suitable
fabric, and if so where.

teapot

Jul 31, 2003, 10:54:40 AM7/31/03
I would have recommended thenappymill.com but it appears to be shut at
the moment due to Lucy having her 4th baby. Another site I have seen
is www.walterandtrixie.com . Haven't used them but they appear to
have plenty of nappy orientated stuff to choose from.

HTH
Diane
38w1d with #4.
"teapot" <lisa...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

---

Cathy

Jul 31, 2003, 11:09:45 PM7/31/03

teapot <lisa...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

Makes me laugh! 'Real' nappies. I am the only 'real' nappy user amongst my
2 mothers groups, and all the other mums call them 'proper' nappies. But I
am so jealous that you have access to nappy wrap material. I can only find
one type of wrap here, and it falls apart after about 2 months. I would love
to make some of my own, but cannot find the materials. And after bad
experiences of ordering over the internet, I am not willing to try it again.
What sort of fabric are you after, and does it have different names? I have
tried finding wool flannel, but it appears to be unavailable here.

Thanks,
Cathy

teapot

Aug 1, 2003, 5:35:06 AM8/1/03
"Cathy" <bl...@paradise.net> wrote in message news:<4TkWa.8605$9f7.9...@news02.tsnz.net>...

I looked up Dianes link and learnt that the fabric is PUL -
Polyeaurathane Laminate so thats a start. www.walterandtrixie.com has
nappy kits for sale but they don't seem that much cheaper than buying
ready made ones. The cheapest wraps I have bought so far have been on
ebay, there are usually loads of them and buying from there has been
fine for me. This site has a glossary which helped me loads too
http://www.twinkleontheweb.co.uk/glossary.htm

Where are you?

teapot

Aug 1, 2003, 7:05:23 AM8/1/03
Jsut discovered a Yahoo newsgroup at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nappysewers

I'm sure there will be a mine of info on there.

Diane
38w2d

Cathy

Aug 1, 2003, 11:06:22 PM8/1/03

> "Cathy" <bl...@paradise.net> wrote in message
> > teapot <lisa...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > My small is in real nappies and I'd like to try to save some money by
> > > making the wraps. Has anyone in the UK managed to find suitable
> > > fabric, and if so where.

snip

> I looked up Dianes link and learnt that the fabric is PUL -
> Polyeaurathane Laminate so thats a start. www.walterandtrixie.com has
> nappy kits for sale but they don't seem that much cheaper than buying
> ready made ones. The cheapest wraps I have bought so far have been on
> ebay, there are usually loads of them and buying from there has been
> fine for me. This site has a glossary which helped me loads too
> http://www.twinkleontheweb.co.uk/glossary.htm
>
> Where are you?
>
> teapot

Thanks for that - the glossary was really useful. I am in New Zealand, and
there seems to be very little in the way of nappy wraps available. I have
got used to using a really simple fleece wrap with velcro, but the leg
gussets are made with a waterproof polyester that doesn't seem to stand up
to the rigours of urine! After about 1 month the gussets get holes in them,
and after 2 months they are not leak proof. I think I'll have to try and
make some, but finding the fleece is the tricky part. I have a teensy bit
of Malden fleece, but it is black, and not what I'd like to put around DD's
cute bottom!! I have tried replacing the gussets with some tent material I
acquired. I have no idea what it is - DH suggested it was indeed a
polyurethane laminate.

The wrap itself is really simple. It is one layer fleece mostly, shaped
like most of them are. Down the middle is a rectangular bit of fleece with
a bit of the waterproof fabric overlocked to it. This is attached to the
shaped portion only top and bottom (so I can turn it inside out to dry).
And I have already described the gussets. I have tried wraps without
gussets, and they are blowout material for DD! Seeing as I have got so off
track already, I'll ask if anyone knows if there is one like this that does
stand up to urine. I wanted to use cloth nappies as I hate the idea of
throwing stuff out. But I am going through wraps at the rate of about 3
every 2 months, and that is just as bad.

Hmm, this has got me motivated to get my sewing machine out and try and make
one from scratch, and see how it goes.

Cathy