A Visit To The "Great Depression"

Bill Lussenheide

Jul 16, 2003, 12:40:36 PM7/16/03
When one thinks about the Great Depression ,( the period of time from the
stock market crash of October 1929 to the onset of World War II on December
7th,1941) one cannot help but picture "black & white" newsreel films of long
lines of people waiting in soup lines. Other images conjured up include
those of bank runs, similar to that seen in the Jimmy Stewart movie "It's A
Wonderful Life". To those of us who did not experience the Depression first
hand, it would seem that for the entire 1930s nobody ever smiled, flowers
never bloomed, and the sun never shined. I believe that for younger
generations who did not live at that time, that the Depression has taken on
a "larger than real life" legend.

Now I won't argue against the fact that the Depression was one of the most
trying times in American history. However all was not always doom and gloom,
even for investors. A review of the investing history of the 1930s is in
order, especially in lieu of the fact that we have recently experienced the
worse Bear Market since that era. Could money be made even in the Great
Depression?

Economically, unemployment briefly spiked up to nearly 25% in 1932, but for
the entire Depression, unemployment averaged 10%, a figure that has been
reached in more modern times, even as recently as the early 1990s. In the
30s newspapers routinely ran several pages of Help Wanted ads (though they
often were not the best paying of jobs). The sun did shine, life was lived
in Living Color, people went to baseball games, fell in love, and ate hot
dogs!

However, what is fascinating is that there was indeed money to be made by
equity investors in the 1930s! Here is a brief review of the events of the
period...Learn more about the Great Depression and the invesment
opportunities of that era compared with those of today in my free article
at:

http://www.InvestmentWarrior.com

(CLICK ON THE NEWSLETTER ICON & THEN "MONTHLY ARTICLE")

Bill Lussenheide