AT&T Wireless AWE stock is it of any value

Digger

Oct 2, 2006, 5:03:06 AM10/2/06
Stocks were found in dads safe deposit box are these of any value? I can't
seem to find any info on them.
thanks in advance
jeff

Tad Borek

Oct 2, 2006, 1:32:05 PM10/2/06
Digger wrote:
> Stocks were found in dads safe deposit box are these of any value? I can't
> seem to find any info on them.

Yes, they should. There were several steps here. Your father probably
got AWE in a 2001 spin-off of AWE from the AT&T parent company. Then AWE
was acquired in October 2004 for $15/share, in a cash merger with
Cingular wireless. Cingular was majority-owned by SBC, which...later
merged with AT&T, and renamed itself AT&T.

[So in a way you're back to Square One, only with a few hundred million
bucks paid out to investment bankers, lawyers and company execs along
the way for all that "shareholder value" they created!]

But the point is, AT&T is the company you want to ask about this because
they're the successor to the company that bought AWE out in October
2004. Call up their Investor Relations department, or perhaps look
around on the IR part of the AT&T web site -- dig around at www.att.com.
You may be able to tender your shares now, or perhaps the proceeds are
sitting with your father's home state's "unclaimed property" authority.
If you call AT&T you should be able to get an answer. The AT&T web site
should also have information about figuring out your cost basis in these
shares, if that is something you need to know.

-Tad

dapperdobbs

Oct 2, 2006, 7:15:50 PM10/2/06
Check with AT&T shareholder relations.

Elle

Oct 2, 2006, 7:15:59 PM10/2/06
AT&T Wireless (AWE) merged with Cingular in 2004. Per the
terms of the merger AWE stock ceased to trade. Shareholders
of AWE were supposed to exchange AWE stock certificates for
cash, following a procedure, and receive $15 a share. For
more info, go to http://www.cingular.com/investors , click
on "Shareholder Services," read that site and also click on
the FAQ link. Since obviously your dad did not send the
certificates in, as described in the FAQ, then I would start
by calling the toll free number listed in the FAQ and ask
them how to proceed. Should that number be out of service,
scour the "Investor Relations" section of the Cingular site
for a toll free number, and ask if you can still exchange
the certificates.

For the archives, googling for well-chosen keywords often
turns up the answer to questions about seemingly defunct
companies.

Juan

Apr 21, 2015, 11:40:05 AM4/21/15
responding to
http://www.beansmart.com/financial/at-t-wireless-awe-stock-is-it-of-any-value-143-.htm
, Juan wrote:
this response is only nne years late, but I think AT&T would have paid your
dad $15/ share CASH for the stock, if you took no action. That is what AT&T
did for me.

see also http://www.att.com/gen/investor-relations?pid=7994

.

saxman

Feb 4, 2016, 10:50:05 AM2/4/16
replying to Juan, saxman wrote:
I have a recent, similar situation. My dad passed away, and now my mom has
also, so I've been going through ALL of the stock statements, etc. for every
stock they owned. I came across some correspondence showing 38 shares of ATT
Wireless. The last correspondence was around 2003. I called my ATT broker
and they told me that ATT Wireless cashed out any remaining stocks held by
stockholders (and sent checks to shareholders of ATT Wireless) if stockholders
took no action before the deadline. If, say, checks were sent out and the
shareholder never cashed them, the money would have ended up in the state
"treasury" for unclaimed property. You can go on line and search the database
(typing in name of the relative and any other info needed) and see if any left
money resides (this happens a lot when people don't bother cashing in rebate
checks). After my dad passed away I did a search on my dad and found that he
never cashed in NCR stocks (or never received a check for the stocks...check
lost in mail or whatever) and was able to claim a few hundred bucks for my mom.

--
posted from
http://www.beansmart.com/financial/at-t-wireless-awe-stock-is-it-of-any-value-143-.htm

.