MEDIA: Laid-off H-1B workers may get 6-month reprieve

John D Groenveld

Mar 30, 2023, 7:07:32 AM3/30/23
Times of India's Shilpa Phadnis on whether Donald Trump regrets
taking Jared Kushner's advice to downplay the National Question on
the campaign stump against Joe Biden and Kamala Harris:
<URL:http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/98679904.cms>
| Stephen Yale-Loehr, professor of Immigration Law Practice, Cornell
| Law School, said it's the first step in a long process. "First, the
| US Citizenship and Immigration Services is not required to follow
| that recommendation.
| Moreover, even if the USCIS were to extend the grace period, it
| might have to go through the normal rulemaking process to do that.
| That could take months. Also, if the USCIS extends the grace period,
| expect a lawsuit by US workers challenging the change as beyond the
| immigration agency's authority. Finally, a grace period extension
| wouldn't apply retroactively to help H-1B workers already laid off.
| In sum, laid-off H-1B workers should not get their hopes up yet. "
| Cyrus D Mehta, managing partner of New York-based law firm Cyrus D
| Mehta & Partners, called the recommendation "good news" and said the
| extended period would not come into effect immediately. "The actual
| regulation at 8 CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) needs to be
| amended, which is a process, since the administration must allow for
| notice and comment to the public before changing a rule. "

Does Susie Wiles worry that Ken Griffin and Lachlan Murdoch will allow
Ron DeSantis to outflank Trump from the right on the National Question
by inviting the likes of Mike Emmons onto their campaign stump to brief
legacy American proles about the efforts of the Cheap Labor Lobby to
dispossess them?

John
groe...@acm.org
--
"I asked Hunter Morgen in 2018 about what you guys were going to do
on the immigration front, and he laughed it off, saying Trump's