Anything equivalent to Green Card in UK?

Nikolai Petrov

Mar 4, 1995, 11:46:19 AM3/4/95

In article <3j6bvo$q...@charon.rutgers.edu>, Subhasish Roy Choudhury (sub...@charon.rutgers.edu) writes:

>Hi,
>
>I was wondering if UK has anything similar to Green Card, when
>somebody can be permanent resident of that country, while maintaining
>his citizenship status. If so, what is the criteria for obtaining it.
>How many years does one have to work in the UK to get a equivalent of
>Green Card. If there is no such equivalent thing, then what is the
>criteria for getting UK citizenship. Any insight would be greatly
>appreciated. Thank you all.

>Subhasish Roy Choudhury Email: sub...@jove.rutgers.edu
>Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering URL: http://saturn/rutgers.edu/~subhas
>Rutgers University Tel: 908-445-3674
>Piscataway, NJ 08855-0909 Fax: 908-445-5313

One becomes eligible for permanent residency after 5 years of
employment, untill then the employment visa has to be renewed
every year. You can apply for naturalization as a British Citizen
after being atleast 1 year permanent resident and have spent more
than 3 consecutive years in the UK without any prolonged absences.
Permanent residency can be lost if more than two years of absence.
One can also become a permanent resident after a year as a result of
a marriage to a British Citizen, or even on the spot as a person
of independent means. Through decent one can get right of abode in
the UK. There is also the option of aquiring the status through
service to the crown. The status is indicated as an ink stamp or a
sticker in your passport. That's all that comes to mind.

Regards
Nikolai

Subhasish Roy Choudhury

Mar 3, 1995, 1:12:08 AM3/3/95

Rachel Lau

Mar 6, 1995, 7:07:51 AM3/6/95
In article <1...@petrov.win-uk.net> nik...@petrov.win-uk.net (Nikolai Petrov) writes:
One becomes eligible for permanent residency after 5 years of
employment, untill then the employment visa has to be renewed
every year. You can apply for naturalization as a British Citizen
after being atleast 1 year permanent resident and have spent more
than 3 consecutive years in the UK without any prolonged absences.
Permanent residency can be lost if more than two years of absence.
One can also become a permanent resident after a year as a result of
a marriage to a British Citizen, or even on the spot as a person
of independent means. Through decent one can get right of abode in
the UK. There is also the option of aquiring the status through
service to the crown. The status is indicated as an ink stamp or a
sticker in your passport. That's all that comes to mind.

One can get PR after 4 years of employment, unless the immigration law has been
changed recently. Also, the employment visa doesn't have to be renewed every
year. I got my first work permit for 3 years and then renewed it for one more
year before applying for my PR. Also, one can become a PR immediately after
marrying a UK citizen.

SUBBIAH K

Mar 6, 1995, 9:22:17 AM3/6/95

This posting is for my friend.

Is the requirement for 5 years of working in the UK valid
for commonwealth citizens as well?. I heard that it is only
4 years for people from the commonwealth countries. Could
any immigration Guru clarify this?.

Any reply will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

K.Su...@city.ac.uk

J Ma

Mar 12, 1995, 9:05:38 AM3/12/95

One can get British PR by continuously working and paying tax in the UK
for more than 4 years. The employment has to be formal and approved by
the Department of Employment, based on which an appropriate visa will be
issued by the Home Office.
However, recent cases suggested that Britain's immigration policy is being
tightened up. It is said that, unless under exceptional circumstanceous,
no work permit will be given beyond 46 months.

SUBBIAH K

Mar 15, 1995, 9:25:12 AM3/15/95
j...@gps.leeds.ac.uk (J Ma) writes:

Hi,

Suppose one has been given work permit for more than 48 months
either continuously or renewed by the same employer 1 or 2
times, is he still eligible for the PR under the present
immigration rules?. I am curious to know about it. Any one
who has knowledge or experience in this, please send your
e-mail replies to K.Su...@city.ac.uk

Thanks a lot.
Subbiah

Sanwar Ali

Apr 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/5/95
In article: <3j6bvo$q...@charon.rutgers.edu> sub...@charon.rutgers.edu (Subhasish Roy Choudhury)
writes:
> From: sub...@charon.rutgers.edu (Subhasish Roy Choudhury)
> Newsgroups: misc.immigration.misc
> Subject: Anything equivalent to Green Card in UK?
> Date: 3 Mar 1995 01:12:08 -0500

I am afraid that it is not that easy gaining immigration to the UK. It is normally
based on employment at a relatively high level, business investment or on
marriage. If you would like I can let you have my full guide to UK immigration. BTW
normally you will have to wait four years after gaining entry to the UK before
gaining indefinite leave to remain (permanent residence). After gaining permanent
residence you will have wait one year before being eligible to apply for UK citizenship
which takes about 8-10 months of processing time. Therefore it take about six years
after entry to gain UK citizenship. The only EC citizenship available quickly is Irish
citizenship which requires an investment of 1 Million.
--
Sanwar Ali

Managing Partner
BCL Immigration Services
Acorn House
74-94 Cherry Orchard Road
Croydon, Surrey CR0 6BA, UK.

Telephone: +44 181 680 9621 or +44 181 681 8339
Fax: +44 181 667 0378
e-mail: san...@bclimser.demon.co.uk

jm...@umich.edu

Apr 23, 2019, 7:29:29 PM4/23/19
YOU WOULD GET A "LEAVE TO ENTER" WHEN YOU FIRST VISIT THE UK FOR SHORT TERM BUSINESS OR PERSONAL REASONS. IT IS ALLOWING YOU TO ENTER IF YOU AGREE TO LEAVE IN 6 MONTHS.

YOU (YOUR EMPLOYER RATHER) THEN APPLIES TO THE HOME OFFICE FOR AN "INDEFINITE LEAVE TO REMAIN" IS WHAT THEY CALL THEIR "GREENCARDS".

THEIR LAWS ARE MUCH MORE DIFFICULT THEN THE USA OR AUSTRALIA, ETC. THIER TERMINOLOGY ALREADY DRIVES ME INSANE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indefinite_leave_to_remain