Carbs to deal with lows and glucose plunges (+ long-lifers)

Pro-Humanist FREELOVER

Jul 26, 2018, 11:32:37 PM7/26/18

- - -

Insulinitis article

150 millilitres of apple juice. For
reasons unknown, Dr. David Cavan, and
another person mention 150 millilitres
of apple juice to deal with glucose
going too low or going down too fast,
in an article dated July 27, 2018:
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/990150/diabetes-type-1-diet-raise-blood-sugar-levels-apple-juice-150-millilitres-hypoglycaemia

Other carbs, a huge array of carbs
that also counter the glucose going
too low or going down too fast, un-
mentioned.

That juice recommendation, the article
fails to point out more carbs may be
needed to halt a plunge or too low
event and to insure that a severe hypo-
glycemia event doesn't occur.

Unmentioned, the estimable value of
continuous glucose monitors to detect
when glucose plunges or rapid descent
or already too low events are happening.

Also unmentioned, basal insulin varia-
bility. For example, I inject 12 units
of NPH in the morning, 6-7 units of NPH
in the evening, and experience a descent
from those dosages at around the 4 ...

... hour mark, with carbs required to
deal with those unless the glucose is
high enough.

I typically inject regular insulin up
to 8 times per day/night, either before
or after carb ingestion, or to counter
the glucose level rising or being higher
than desired, and often consume carbs to
counter the glucose going too low or go-
ing down too fast.

- - -

Extremely low carb diets

Another unmentioned area, followers of
extremely low carb diets (30 to 50 carbs
per day), they dose less insulin & are
told (by the primary promoter of that
diet, Richard K. Bernstein) to ingest
glucose tabs when/if the glucose is
nearing too low territory.

I have no evidence that anyone other
than Richard Bernstein is a long-time
practicer of very low carb diets, but
perhaps someone familiar with that can
point me to a source where others claim
they've been very low carbing for a very
long time.

- - -

Long-lifers

One thing I'll offer, Richard Bernstein
certainly has succeeded in having a long
life (I think his current age is 84), and
one can only guess if his very low carb
diet helped with that, or not. He cer-
tainly thinks/claims it did/does, but ...

... evidence is lacking to support that
claim, and he has financial incentive
to promote his books which promote
that very low carb diet.

Other long-lifers? My dad, for example,
he's almost 87, but one can only guess
why he has lived that long - not smoking
and not consuming alcohol and eating a
well-balanced diet, albeit with 'normal' ...

... or high carbs, a lot higher than
low carbers promote, never being into
exercise, so he has a very sedentary
lifestyle and he's had that his whole
life, heavy TV watcher and one of his
favorite pass-times is recording TV ...

... shows, he says he currently gets 6
hours or so of sleep per night, and he
naps during the day, and he still works
(part-time pastor at a small local church),
probably has a BMI in the high 20s, but ...

... I'm only guessing and his BMI may be
> 29.9 as he's gained weight the last few
years, but most of his life his BMI was
in the lower to mid-20s, I think. His
glucose levels, 'normal' - he gets regu-
lar blood tests, says all is 'normal' ...

... on those tests, so next time I see
him I'll see if any glucose test is on
any of his blood tests (if he keeps
those); on the worrisome side, he's
living with a type of cancer that, as
far as I know, is not yet placing him ...

... in serious danger, but he doesn't
like talking about that. Next time I
see him I'll inquire about that.

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

Pro-Humanist FREELOVER, Insulitis Islit
(Islit, the abbreviation for Insulinitis)
since age 5 (March, 1961), promoting the
replacement of all of the outdated ancient
confusing misleading diabetes / diabetic ...

... words and phrases and the confusing
reactive hypoglycemia phrase with new
superior clarifying nonconfusing nonmis-
leading words and phrases and definitions
which were first proposed in 2010:

Diabetes Bubble / Diabetes Bubble Burst
(superb) http://prohuman.net/diabetesbubblediabetesbubbleburst.htm

C.ure I.nsulinitis A.ssociation
(ideal) http://prohuman.net/cureinsulinitisassociation.htm

Glucose Anomalies Research regarding
Potential Cures / Improvements in Treatments
(the sooner the better) http://prohuman.net/glucoseanomaliesresearch.htm

I'm currently using a Dexcom G4 continuous
glucose monitor along with testing the Free-
style Libre for 10 days. I was using an
Omnipod insulin pump with the fastest-act-
ing insulin available, Fiasp, since March 24.

Unfortunately, due to losing my job & health
insurance I've switched to using affordable
insulin (NPH and Regular) injections on May 29,
and will switch to using an affordable Free-
style Libre CGM after my Dexcom G4 sensors
run out -if- the 10-day test justifies doing ...

... so, and I may have misinterpreted the 10-
day test, thinking the Dexcom CGM was more
accurate than the Freestyle Libre, but re-
cently, my Dexcom CGM (which is in its allow-
able but not recommended use of a transmitter
past 6 months) exaggerated hypoglycemia ...

... similar to what happened once using the
Freestyle Libre, so I'll probably go ahead
and switch to using Freestyle Libre when my
Dexcom G4 inserted sensors run out (I have
1 more left).

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

AntiPro&T1.5DM

Jul 27, 2018, 10:00:43 AM7/27/18
Pro-Humanist FREELOVER wrote:

> My dad, for example, he's almost 87

What about your mother. How long did she live?

Half your DNA is from her. So her health is important to you as well.
--
APT1.5DM = SAID+T5 = SAID+(MARD/10) = T1.5, per Lancet 5 DM Groups.
Insulinitis = Insulitis: β-cell destruction by lymphocytes, not a disease name.

Pro-Humanist FREELOVER

Jul 27, 2018, 12:27:46 PM7/27/18
APT wrote:

Link to original post in this thread:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.health.diabetes/tSlQTWmBNdA/n3NbmI71DgAJ

> Pro-Humanist FREELOVER wrote:

> > My dad, for example, he's almost 87

> What about your mother. How long did she
> live?
>
> Half your DNA is from her. So her health
> is important to you as well.

Long reply (including personal notes
that exceed what you were inquiring
about):

My mother was an avid worker (in all
respects) at home, and her favorite
pass-time (well, she had many, leading
the church choir, former teacher, cook-
ing, sewing) was yardwork, often getting
up early and going out in our huge ...

... yard tend to her/our plants. One
morning in December, 2001, on a cold
day, she came down with pneumonia from
working in the yard. During hospitali-
zation & painfully battling it for
weeks, the antibiotics she was on ...

... failed and she passed away in Jan-
uary, 2002, age 70. During her life
she had battled a bad hip, having had
hip surgery, and battled cancer, having
beaten that.

Reference article about pneumonia:

- - -
April 19, 2013

What is pneumonia
and why can it be so deadly?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/0/21969416
- - -

Excerpt: ... it is still a leading
cause of death among the elderly and
seriously ill. ...

- - - end excerpt - - -

My genetics, well, regarding Insulinitis,
my half-uncle (my dad's half-brother) got
it at a young age. My older brother got
Cellosis, I've forgotten how long ago,
and that was primarily caused by his ...

... weight (somewhere in the BMI of 30s
or 40s) as he had battled being at a
high risk for Cellosis weight since
childhood. Both my sisters got breast
cancer, the older younger sister died
from it, my youngest sister survived
it after having a mastectomy and breast
reconstruction.

My youngest brother, he suffers from
something I have to a much lower degree
than he has, anger outbursts, unpredic-
table those. In my case, one of those
was almost a year ago and one recent
one were involved in my job loss, ...

... though other factors were involved
(possibilities):

o Discrimination based on my having &
dealing with Insulinitis

o Racial discrimination (I was, in my
opinion) harassed by 2 new black
managers who seemed intent on focus
on me to try to find reason to fire
me, one of them firing me

o One work rule which I inadvertently
failed to follow 2-3 times, though
that failure (in an arguably unrea-
sonable procedural rule) did not
cause any actual consequence, it
was a technical violation of no ...

... substansive import (minor and
inconseqential unless one demands
that all procedures be followed
all-the-time, no exceptions).

Whatever the adverse financial impact
of my early retirement, rest assured,
I'm delighted that I no longer have
to be part of the "endentured slavery"
system that most of the world lives
within. Hopefully, some day, thinking ...

... along the lines of a potential
Star Trek-like future, "endentured
slavery" will no longer be something
most of the world is forced to abide
by.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Pro-Humanist FREELOVER, Omnipodder
from January, 2014 'til losing my
insurance & switching to affordable
NPH & Regular insulin (each $24.88
per bottle at Walmart) on May 29.

CGMer since October, 2013, (Dexcom
G4), Insulitis Islit (Insulinitis)
since March, 1961 (at age 5). About
to switch to using the inexpensive
Freestyle Libre (less than $1300 per
year and available at Walmart).

Omnipod CGM (no longer used)
https://www.myomnipod.com/

Dexcom CGM (about to be replaced)
https://www.dexcom.com/

Freestyle Libre (will switch to
using it when my last Dexcom CGM
sensor expires)
https://www.freestylelibre.us/

C.ure I.nsulinitis A.ssociation
(great idea) http://prohuman.net/cureinsulinitisassociation.htm

Glucose Anomalies Research regarding
Potential Cures / Improvements in Treatments
(if only, the
Freedom from diabetes confusion and
misleading which is caused by the
widespread use of the diabetes &
diabetic words without any clarifier:

Diabetes Bubble / Diabetes Bubble Burst
(FANTASTIC!) http://prohuman.net/diabetesbubblediabetesbubbleburst.htm

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

AntiPro&T1.5DM

Jul 27, 2018, 8:22:23 PM7/27/18
Pro-Humanist FREELOVER wrote:

> FANTASTIC!

Yeah, right. Not in your lifetime. Try Stupid.

But sorry to hear about your mother and sisters.

Had to get my Driver's License renewed today. What a mess. Florida wants
to see proof of US citizenship with Passport and Social Security Card. Then
proof of residence with two current bills. It took 3 hours to get my new DL.
I decided to let the State put "Insulin Dep" on the License this year. So I am
in the State records as a T1DM now. But retired so no big deal.

They called the last 4 digits of your cell phone number as the token to get
access to a clerk (Window 24 was my clerk). You identify English or Spanish
at a kiosk on entry. That puts you in a queue. Then you wait for the last 4
digits of your cell to be called. You get text message updates as well. PITA.

So a busy day. Last 4 digit collision goes to last 5 digits fallback. All BS.

AntiPro&T1.5DM

Jul 27, 2018, 9:13:19 PM7/27/18
AntiPro&T1.5DM wrote:

> Had to get my Driver's License renewed today.

Hmmm. I have a provocative driving style that demands other drivers keep
an eye on me: "Get off your cell phone and watch me/the road." This dates
back to my motorcycle days (still kept the MC endorcement on mt DL). But
the method is "Crazy like a fox" on the road. A 6 speed manual transmission
with 2L diesel has the speed to blow the doors off other vehicles. Low end
torque is amazing with the diesel: I got you off the line.

The price to pay is speeding tickets for this "Crazy like a Fox" method. This
method was developed while living in NJ and hitting NYC for a girlfriend. I
married the woman, my first wife in the fast lane. Hmmm.

But no accidents since my "Learner's Permit" at 15 yo in 1969.

AntiPro&T1.5DM

Jul 27, 2018, 10:26:46 PM7/27/18
AntiPro&T1.5DM wrote:

> I decided to let the State put "Insulin Dep" on the License this year.

If I were younger, say <50 yo, I would withhold this information from State
and Federal databases. Not knowing research results in future that could
adversely impact working age T1DMs, would keep me/my info in the closet.

Wait until you retire to make this public for Fed and State records. HTH.