Low Carb (?) Diets -- What's Up?

1 view

Pro-Humanist FREELOVER

Jul 27, 2014, 9:16:00 AM7/27/14

- - -

Many articles have appeared lately with a
reference to a study stating that low carb
diets are good for those with Insulinitis
(old name: type 1 diabetes) and for those
with Cellosis (old name: type 2 diabetes).

Unfortunately, every article I found failed
to mention what, exactly, they're referring
to when they use the term "low carb".

Fortunately, the source for all of the articles,
the actual study, is available on the web.

Unfortunately, the source fails to indicate
what, exactly, they're referring to by the
term "low carb", using a table to list dif-
ferent carb levels which vary from a low
of 20 grams of carb per day, to a high of
less than 130 grams per day -or- less than
26% of total caloric consumption.

That's quite a range. Myself, perhaps
inspired to engage in such a course by
the recent articles, have been dabbling
with carb restriction as follows, over
the past few days:

Breakfast -- 2 carbs of sausage + 3-4
cups of coffee, about 12 to 16 carbs
(for the sugar-free creamer)

Lunch -- typically somewhere in the
neighborhood of 10 carbs or less

Dinner -- typically somewhere in the
neighborhood of less than 20 carbs

Late night -- typically, after work, I
ingest 2-3 cups of decaf coffee, 8 to
12 carbs (for the sugar-free creamer).

Snacks -- here's where I'm running
into difficulty, still trying to figure out
insulin dosages which don't result
in glucose levels less than 70 -- not
yet succeeding, there, so snacking,
I typically ingest sugar-free mints,
but when I go too low, I ingest
crackers, typically 4-8 per day, that's
16 to 32 grams of carbs. The sugar-
free mints, up to 8 per day, that's
32 grams of carbs.

So, unless I can figure out the 'right'
insulin dosages, I'm snacking my way
into more carbs than I'd like.

So, my total carb intake, upt to 48
carbs for the 3 meals, and up to 64
carbs in snacks, that's 112 carbs.

Overall, my insulin dosages are lower
per day, 15-16 units per day, total,
basal & bolus.

Today, I've already guessed at my
initial dose, but -if- it doesn't cause
me to have to 'snack' to avoid or deal
with a below 70 event, I'll endeavor
to attempt to totally avoid snacking
today (I'll have to lower my next 2
meal-time doses), and will get back
to y'all with a report on -if- I suc-
ceeded in no more than 48 grams
of carbs today.

Excerpt [with insert, not part of original
article, included in brackets]:

- - -
July 18, 2014

Dietary Carbohydrate restriction as the first
approach in [High Glucose Conditions]
management. Critical review and evidence
base
http://www.nutritionjrnl.com/article/S0899-9007(14)00332-3/fulltext#tbl1
- - -

Definitions: A lack of agreed-upon definitions
for "low-carbohydrate diet" has been a persistent
barrier to communication. We propose the defini-
tions in Table 1 to eliminate ambiguity. Each
definition is based on use in multiple publi-
cations by those authors who have performed
the experimental studies 3, 4, 5, 6.

Table 1. Suggested definitions for different
forms of low-carbohydrate diets. Derived from
Accurso, et al. [3] and references therein.
NHANES is the National Health and Nutrition
Examination Survey, a series of studies con-
ducted since 1960 that monitors over 5000
people.

o Very low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet (VLCKD)
Carbohydrate, 20-50 g/d or less than 10% of
the 2000 kcal/d diet, whether or not ketosis
occurs. Derived from levels of carbohydrate
required to induce ketosis in most people.
Recommended early phase ("induction") of
popular diets such as Atkins Diet or Protein
Power.

o Low carbohydrate diet: less than 130 g/d or
less than 26% total energy

o The American Diabetes Association (ADA)
definition of 130 g/d as its recommended
minimum.

o Moderate Carbohydrate Diet: 26 - 45%

o Upper limit, approximate carbohydrate intake
before the obesity epidemic (43%).

o High Carbohydrate Diet: Greater than 45%.
Recommended target on ADA websites

o The 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans
recommends 45-65% carbohydrate. The average
American diet is estimated to be about 49%
carbohydrate.

o Carbohydrate Consumption (NHANES):

Men - Year 1971-1974 - 42% (?250 g for 2450 kcal/d)
Year 1999-2000 - 49% (?330 g for 2600 kcal/d)
Women Year 1971-1974 45% (?150 g for 1550 kcal/d)
Year 1999 - 2000 - 52% (?230 g for 1900 kcal/d)

We recognize that levels of carbohydrate tolerance
vary between individuals and even in one person over
time. For example, a very low-carbohydrate "ketogenic"
diet (VLCKD) is defined as comprised of 20-50 g
carbohydrate/day, but because of individual vari-
ability, ketosis (blood ketone bodies >0.5 mM) may
not occur.

- - -
Pro-Humanist FREELOVER (I got Insulinitis
at age 5 in March, 1961 -- I use a Dexcom
G4 Continuous Glucose Monitor -and- an
Omnipod Insulin Pump)

C.ure I.nsulinitis A.ssociation
http://prohuman.net/cureinsulinitisassociation.htm
- - -

--
Posted by Mimo Usenet Browser v0.2.5
http://www.mimousenet.com/mimo/post

Pro-Humanist FREELOVER

Jul 27, 2014, 2:34:20 PM7/27/14

- - -

Follow-up:
Report: Already, went too low 1 hour
10 minutes after my initial dose this
morning. Ingested 16 carbs, glucose
rose to just over 110, gave more
insulin twice; the 2nd dose, a slow
lowering of glucose, but had to ingest
many sugar-free-mints to keep it from
going below 70.

Now, ingesting a 10 carb lunch. Will
try a lower dose to try to avoid having
to ingest any snacks -- will report back
later today, or tomorrow, well, let's just
say I'll report back -when/if- I figure
out how to give the 'right' amounts of
insulin to avoid the below 70 events
without ingesting any snacks.

Up..*

Jul 28, 2014, 11:26:38 AM7/28/14

"Fortunately, the source for all of the articles,
the actual study, is available on the web.

Unfortunately, the source fails to indicate
what, exactly, they're referring to by the
term "low carb", using a table to list dif-
ferent carb levels which vary from a low
of 20 grams of carb per day, to a high of
less than 130 grams per day -or- less than
26% of total caloric consumption."

You need to learn to understand science research. Such journal articles
will tell you how the table relates to their results. Often the range
mention is related to outcomes to show that as carb intake varies the
outcome varies.

Such articles are not "how to do it" guides but to understand the basic
biological processes at work.

Pro-Humanist FREELOVER

Jul 29, 2014, 9:06:27 AM7/29/14

- - -

Follow-up 2:

Well, the last 2 days, my total daily insulin
was 13.5 units 2 days ago, and yesterday,
I was down to 8.95 units.

Overnight last night, my glucose went too
low with my basal down to .25 units/hour,
so this morning, I've lowered my basal
down to .2 units/hour. Also yesterday, I
didn't have to snack near as much, so
my estimated total carbs for that day,
including snacks, was 42.

Glucose average for the last 2 days:

Sunday, July 27: 85 but unfortunately,
13% below 55, and 49% above 55 and
below 70, with 38% 71 to 100, and no
time above 100.

Monday, July 28: 84 but much better
distribution, 0% below 55, 14% above
55 and below 70, 78% 71 to 100, and
8% 101 to 130, with no time above
130.

On 27 Jul 2014 01:34 PM ,"Pro-Humanist FREELOVER"

Unknown

Jul 29, 2014, 10:57:34 AM7/29/14

It isn't just how many carbs one consumes but the degree of glucose effect
it has.

http://www.mendosa.com/gi.htm

Pro-Humanist FREELOVER

Jul 30, 2014, 10:52:59 AM7/30/14
Well, certainly, the glucose effect is
simple to compute, since my diet is
now so, how should I put it, bland
and unchanging and low carb.

Snacks, the past 2 days, sugar-free
mints, + yesterday I had sugar-free
jello, 10 carbs (which must've had
a large quick glycemic impact cause
my glucose went above 130 as a result,
the only time that's happened in the
past 4 days) and on another occassion,
3 4-carb crackers. Apart from that,
and apart from the glucose going
too low overnight when I had my
basal rate set at .25, the glucose
was stable, my glucose for the day
averaging 88.

Yesterday, the .2 basal seemed to
work well since I switched to it
at 7:07 am yesterday morning. My
insulin dosage yesterday, 4.8 bolus,
5.1 basal, total of 9.9 units, but
if I stay with .2 basal all day
today, my basal today will be 4.8.

Other carbs? Sugar-free coffee +
sugar free / fat free creamer, 1
10 carb can of green beans, half
a dill pickle, and minimal to 0
carbs in my protein-focused meal-
time eating.

I hope to avoid all snacking today,
and if so, that would be the first
time I've been able to do so since
starting on this low carb experi-
ment on Friday, July 25.
Message has been deleted

Pro-Humanist FREELOVER

Aug 3, 2014, 10:29:58 AM8/3/14

On 02 Aug 2014 11:20 AM ,Susan <su...@nothanks.org> wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes

> > http://www.diabetes-book.com/

Dr. Richard Bernstein's book, the first part
is available online at amazon.com. Aside
from his annoying overusage of the diabetes
and diabetic words, oft-times used without
clarifiers, he mentions that before he went
on his extremely low carb diet, he had
readings above 300 and 400 daily. That's
very unusual (relative to my own personal
experience), and I've never had that kind
of high problem, other than when, of course,
I was first diagnosed with a glucose reading
above 700, at the age of 5.

As I recently posted, my glucose averages
were best the first few days after I went
on this diet, but on those days, my carb
consumption was above 100, with snacking
accounting for a lot of the carbs. So perhaps,
I'm better off on the higher side of the low
carb equation, but still experimenting, and
we'll see how this all plays out over the
coming weeks.

Above..*

Aug 4, 2014, 8:40:49 AM8/4/14
> > http://www.diabetes-book.com/

" Dr. Richard Bernstein's book, the first part
is available online at amazon.com. Aside"

Much of it is online.

" from his annoying overusage of the diabetes
and diabetic words, oft-times used without
clarifiers, "

When relevant he does. When directing his remarks to the low carb approach
it is not relevant for type of diabetes.

"he mentions that before he went
on his extremely low carb diet, he had
readings above 300 and 400 daily. That's very unusual (relative to my own
personal
experience), and I've never had that kind
of high problem, other than when, of course,
I was first diagnosed with a glucose reading
above 700, at the age of 5."

First, it ain't 'bout you.

Second, he was diabetic likely even before you were born and the carb
intake and insulin use guidelines were quite different. But most important
there was no easy and accurate way to know the glucose level. He was one
of the primary people to aid in the introduction of the glucose meter as we
know it today.

Third, if you know it or not, you are approaching much of his methods in
your own experiments. You could have tried his method first and saved
yourself much grief.

Forth, you have reinvented the wheel discovering the law of large and small
numbers that underlay the type 1 roller coaster effect.