Why a Low-Carb Diet Should Be the First Approach in Diabetes

Helper

Jun 24, 2016, 2:47:28 PM6/24/16

We know all types of diabetes have a higher allcause mortality when glucose
levels are not addressed.

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/why-a-low-carb-diet-should-be-the-first-approach-in-diabetes-treatment-2/

This article outlines the current evidence supporting the use of
low-carbohydrate diets as the first approach to treating type 2 diabetes,
and an effective adjunct to pharmacology in type 1. These results represent
the best documented and least controversial studies.

Pro-Humanist FREELOVER

Jun 26, 2016, 3:01:50 PM6/26/16

- - -

On 24 Jun 2016 01:33 PM ,Helper wrote:

> We know all types of diabetes have a higher
> allcause mortality when glucose levels are
> not addressed.

In Insulinitis*, when glucose levels are not
addressed, one dies, rapidly in most who get
it when young, much slower in most who get
it past age 30, most of whom get Latent Auto-
immune Insulinitis*.

Regardless of which High Glucose Condition*
one has, lower glucose levels increase one's
life expectancy -if- death from one too many
severe hypoglycemic events can be avoided
(and that's much more challenging to achieve
in Insulinitis*, with everyone totally de-
pendent on exogenous insulin to say alive,
the estimated severe hypoglycemic death rate
being 5-to-11 percent in Insulinitis*).

In Cellosis*, gastric bypass surgery has led
to long-term remission in about 30 % (in
those who have normal glucose levels with-
out any treatment for at least 5 years),
and one particular advocate of an extreme
low calorie diet asserts that Cellosis*
is reversible (in most?) if that extreme
low calorie diet is engaged in before one
has had Cellosis* for ten years.

> http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/why-a-low-carb-diet-should-be-the-first-approach-in-diabetes-treatment-2/
>
> This article outlines the current evidence
> supporting the use of low-carbohydrate diets
> as the first approach to treating type 2
> diabetes, and an effective adjunct to pharm-
> acology in type 1. These results represent
> the best documented and least controversial
> studies.

Key question: What does low carb mean?

The following article (an article on healthy
eating) states

"Determine the number of grams of carbs you
need each day by calculating 45 to 65 percent
of your total calorie intake, and dividing by
4. For example, if you eat a 2,000-calorie
diet, shoot for 225 to 325 grams of carbs per
day; and if you eat 2,500 calories a day, aim
for 281 to 406 grams of carbs. Adults who
drop their intake to 1,200 calories a day for
weight loss need about 50 percent of their
calories from carbs, or 150 grams per day."
http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/recommended-amount-percent-carbohydrates-per-day-7287.html

So, strictly speaking a diet without any
weight loss element could be considered
low carb if it had < 225 grams of carbs.

Dr. Bernstein's pitch, a diet with < 30
grams of carbs, most would consider that
drastic, extremely low carb, and extremely
difficult to maintain for longer than a
very short period of time.

From the article you linked to:

Key excerpt: "A panel of medical experts,
including our own Advisory Board member
Dr. Richard K. Bernstein, presents the
evidence for low-carbohydrate diets as
initial therapy ..."

The original source for the material, from
January, 2010:
http://www.nutritionjrnl.com/article/S0899-9007%2814%2900332-3/fulltext

In the "Article Outline", Cellosis* is men-
tioned 4 times, Insulinitis* is mentioned
once, in the phrase [with insert, not part
of original article, included in brackets]
"People with [Insulinitis*] usually require
lower insulin".

* Details on the logic and reasoning behind the
effort to cease using diabetes / diabetic words
and phrases, replacing all of that with vastly
superior names clearly differentiating between
the disparate conditions, putting an end to all
the diabetes / diabetic confusion, misleading,
and misunderstanding (refer to the new names
and the detailed article below):

o Insulinitis,
Latent Autoimmune Insulinitis

o PreCellosis, Cellosis,
Gestational Cellosis

o Diminosis, Neonatal Diminosis

o Other High Glucose Conditions

o Insipidus

o Hypoglycemia Uncaused by Treatments
for High Glucose Conditions (Hut)

Diabetes Bubble / Diabetes Bubble Burst
http://prohuman.net/diabetesbubblediabetesbubbleburst.htm

- - -
Pro-Humanist FREELOVER (I got Insulinitis
at age 5 in March, 1961 -- I use a Dexcom
G4 Continuous Glucose Monitor -and- an
Omnipod Insulin Pump)

C.ure I.nsulinitis A.ssociation
http://prohuman.net/cureinsulinitisassociation.htm
- - -

--
Posted by Mimo Usenet Browser v0.2.5
http://www.mimousenet.com/mimo/post

helper

Pro-Humanist FREELOVER

Jun 29, 2016, 1:00:07 PM6/29/16

- - -

On 23 Jun 2016 01:19 PM ,Helper wrote:

> What's Behind Heart Attacks in Type 1 Diabetes?:
>
> http://www.diabetesforecast.org/2013/aug/what-rsquo-s-behind-heart-attacks-in-type-1-diabetes.html
>
> Type 1 diabetes puts patients at huge risk for
> heart disease: Heart attacks and other cardio-
> vascular complications cause the death of nearly
> 3 out of every 4 people with type 1 diabetes,
> compared with just 1 in 4 people in the general
> population.

The author of that article hypothesizes, based
on mice, that the Insulitis condition (the cause
of Insulinitis* in the overwhelming majority who
have that condition) also attacks the heart. As
far as I can tell, her hypothesis is weak being
that Insulinitis* mice are her sole resource,
and the cause of Insulinitis* in mice is -not-
Insulitis.

In actuality, both Insulinitis* and Cellosis*
(and I suppose, Diminosis*, though reports on
that condition are very hard to find) has in-
creased risk of heart conditions.

Also of note, both in those with and without
any of the High Glucose Conditions*, the number
one cause of death is ischaemic heart disease,
so chances are, one's heart is the likeliest
cause of one's death if one is able to avoid
the other 234 causes of death listed in my
recent post, "Extensive Details on 235 Death
Causalities (1990 to 2010)".

> Empagliflozin as adjunct to insulin in patients with type 1 diabetes:
>
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26080652

75 people with Insulinitis* and with average glu-
cose levels between 169 mg/dl and 255 mg/dl used
empagliflozin for 28 days. Implied, the chosen
individuals with Insulinitis* were likely to have
been obese (implied by the title of the book by
the authors: Diabetes, Obesitey and Metabolism).

Their high glucose levels were lowered (unknown
if insulin dosage changes would've accomplished
that same lowering, as their glucose levels were
so high at the beginning, dangerously high, and
why that is, unexplained - in fact, the article
says insulin levels were "lowered" - in indivi-
duals with Insulinitis* having dangerously high
glucose level averages, increasing insulin is
well-advised to lower glucose levels).

The FDA's position on empagliflozin (August 1,
2014), using the oft-times confusing diabetes
terminology, the confusion minimized by the
FDA's use of clarifiers in this document:
http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm407637.htm

"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today ap-
proved Jardiance (empagliflozin) tablets as an
addition to diet and exercise to improve glycemic
control in adults with type 2 diabetes.

... Jardiance should not be used: to treat people
with type 1 diabetes; in those who have increased
ketones in their blood or urine (diabetic keto-
acidosis); and in those with severe renal impair-
ment, end stage renal disease, or in patients on
dialysis."

- - - end FDA quote - - -

> Liraglutide Benefits Patients With Type 1 Diabetes
> https://login.medscape.com/login/sso/getlogin?urlCache=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5tZWRzY2FwZS5jb20vdmlld2FydGljbGUvODI1NzEz&ac=401

That article, I can't get to it using the link
above.

The following, one might perceive it as helping
some with Insulinitis*, and one might perceive it
as providing no benefit and unacceptable risk, but
the FDA has no mention of Insulinitis* in its ap-
proval:
http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/liraglutide-lacks-hba1c-control/

In the following FDA approval article (January 25,
2010) the type 2 diabetes phrase was used 4 times;
the type 1 diabetes phrase was used zero times:
http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm198638.htm

Pro-Humanist FREELOVER

Jun 29, 2016, 1:34:48 PM6/29/16

- - -