Verdict on anal sex

Jeff Rubard

Sep 20, 2003, 4:01:08 PM9/20/03
I tried it recently. It hurts, but it's safer (with protection) than
a hot shot, and really no more dangerous without. But why do we care
so much about fun that's not so fun?

Anon

Sep 21, 2003, 12:06:08 PM9/21/03
> I tried it recently. It hurts, but it's safer (with protection) than
> a hot shot, and really no more dangerous without. But why do we care
> so much about fun that's not so fun?

What is "a hot shot"?

Baby Peanut

Sep 21, 2003, 4:16:41 PM9/21/03
jru...@opensentence.org (Jeff Rubard) wrote in message news:<740acfc5.03092...@posting.google.com>...

> I tried it recently. It hurts, but it's safer (with protection) than
> a hot shot, and really no more dangerous without. But why do we care
> so much about fun that's not so fun?

I'm so terribly sorry that you had a bad experience with anal sex.
You probably picked the wrong insertee partner. Please choose me next
time you want to try, I'll be as gentle as a lamb, honest.

@hotmail.com mickomac

Sep 23, 2003, 9:55:32 AM9/23/03

"Anon" <NoS...@Anon.ORG> wrote in message

I believe a "hot shot" is an overdose of heroin or heroin with other nasties
in it which cause you to die.

Jeff Rubard

Sep 27, 2003, 10:40:53 PM9/27/03
> I'm so terribly sorry that you had a bad experience with anal sex.
> You probably picked the wrong insertee partner. Please choose me next
> time you want to try, I'll be as gentle as a lamb, honest.

No, I believe I'll take a pass on that. Anyone who is trolling for
sex partners on an AIDS newsgroup has some appropriateness issues, but
the point was to draw attention to the fact that "Bareback City"
aficionados (though not good for the country at large and iffy on many
legal issues) are not the worst problem you can face health-wise.
There are a number of puncture wounds which have the lethality of
poisoned heroin (i.e., cause immediate death), and unsafe sex appears
more attractive than it is because of (often barely) suppressed fears
of such violence. And unlike with stalkers, poisoners, gun nuts et
al., there are real precautions you can take.

Brian Mailman

Sep 28, 2003, 10:59:04 PM9/28/03
Jeff Rubard wrote:

> > I'm so terribly sorry that you had a bad experience with anal sex.
> > You probably picked the wrong insertee partner. Please choose me next
> > time you want to try, I'll be as gentle as a lamb, honest.
>
> No, I believe I'll take a pass on that. Anyone who is trolling for
> sex partners on an AIDS newsgroup has some appropriateness issues,

Why? Is an HIV diagnosis supposed to be the end of libido?

B/, back from 7 days in France and 10 days (3 in Paris, and even the
hospitals have French food) in-and-out of Kaiser/skilled nursing
facility

Jeff Rubard

Sep 29, 2003, 1:47:53 AM9/29/03
Brian Mailman <bmai...@sfo.invalid> wrote in message news:<3F779FF8...@sfo.com>...

> Jeff Rubard wrote:
> >
> > > I'm so terribly sorry that you had a bad experience with anal sex.
> > > You probably picked the wrong insertee partner. Please choose me next
> > > time you want to try, I'll be as gentle as a lamb, honest.
> >
> > No, I believe I'll take a pass on that. Anyone who is trolling for
> > sex partners on an AIDS newsgroup has some appropriateness issues,
>
> Why? Is an HIV diagnosis supposed to be the end of libido?

No, but it's not the start, either, and it doesn't even have to be a
midpoint; except when you're heterosexual, and it's something like the
endpoint. BTW, this is is something like "reality trolling" - I don't
plan on doing it again, because I see that it's others who are
invested in this.

> B/, back from 7 days in France and 10 days (3 in Paris, and even the
> hospitals have French food) in-and-out of Kaiser/skilled nursing
> facility

On the other hand, far be it from me to discourage someone from making
the best of a bad situation; it's just there's a time and a place, you
know?

Baby Peanut

Sep 29, 2003, 7:17:14 AM9/29/03
jru...@opensentence.org (Jeff Rubard) wrote in message news:<740acfc5.03092...@posting.google.com>...

appropriateness issues?

Dear Pot,

You are looking quite black today.

Sincerely,
Kettel

I mean you started a thread discussing how your anal sex hurt. How
appropriate can you get? You followed it with the question "why do we
care
so much about fun that's not so fun?" which shows what a complete
egotist you are since you have implicitly appointed yourself arbiter
of anal sexual activities.

Next you go on to show what a humorless blob you are as I respond to
you post by lampooning you. At least you got the "trolling" part
right, but I wasn't trolling you for sex.

Brian Mailman

Oct 1, 2003, 1:57:42 PM10/1/03
Jeff Rubard wrote:

> Brian Mailman <bmai...@sfo.invalid> wrote in message news:<3F779FF8...@sfo.com>...
> > Jeff Rubard wrote:

> > > No, I believe I'll take a pass on that. Anyone who is trolling for
> > > sex partners on an AIDS newsgroup has some appropriateness issues,
> >
> > Why? Is an HIV diagnosis supposed to be the end of libido?
>

> No, but it's not the start, either...

(irrelevancy snipped)

> On the other hand, far be it from me to discourage someone from making
> the best of a bad situation; it's just there's a time and a place, you
> know?

Time--I would think HIVers and those affected by it are very well aware
of time.

Place--If this was a dry and sterile sci.* group with a technical focus
you'd have a point. This is misc.* and that means "anything that
doesn't fit anywhere else."

It's a public newsgroup. If you don't like a topic, then don't read
it. It's not an email list where you're forced (pushed) to download
everything. This is 'pull' and _you_ choose what to read.

B/

Jeff Rubard

Oct 4, 2003, 9:18:36 PM10/4/03
> Dear Pot,

This upsets me, but for reasons which may be foreign to you.

> You are looking quite black today.

This does not upset me, but for reasons which should be domestic to
you.

> I mean you started a thread discussing how your anal sex hurt. How
> appropriate can you get? You followed it with the question "why do we
> care
> so much about fun that's not so fun?" which shows what a complete
> egotist you are since you have implicitly appointed yourself arbiter
> of anal sexual activities.

No, that was something of a joke (referring back to a post many years
ago by a younger, less "experienced", and even possibly more authentic
version of me). The point is that qua practice, it has its "pluses
and minuses" (as it were); crystal-mediated heart attacks wouldn't be
"playing it safe" to any significant extent, for example. The point
was not to discuss my insignificant life, but to "place" the practice
for purposes of a realistic discussion of its appropriateness (rather
than Dan Savage-style "No, don't do that.")

> Next you go on to show what a humorless blob you are as I respond to
> you post by lampooning you. At least you got the "trolling" part
> right, but I wasn't trolling you for sex.

I am neither humorless nor blob (quite the opposite in both respects),
and it's fine if you were trolling me - I can't read your mind, and I
discourage you from reading mine.

Jeff Rubard

Baby Peanut

Oct 8, 2003, 10:23:36 AM10/8/03
jru...@opensentence.org (Jeff Rubard) wrote in message news:<740acfc5.03100...@posting.google.com>...

> [...delete marginal attempts at over-analyzing a cliche...]

> The point is that qua practice, it has its "pluses
> and minuses" (as it were); crystal-mediated heart attacks wouldn't be
> "playing it safe" to any significant extent, for example. The point
> was not to discuss my insignificant life, but to "place" the practice
> for purposes of a realistic discussion of its appropriateness (rather
> than Dan Savage-style "No, don't do that.")

Well, you failed miserable to cause a realistic discussion with your
weird post about you getting hurt by having anal sex.

> [...delete attempt to explain away lack of humanity...]
>
> Jeff Rubard

Jeff Rubard

Oct 8, 2003, 4:34:50 PM10/8/03
baby_...@yahoo.com (Baby Peanut) wrote in message news:<96d83290.03100...@posting.google.com>...

> jru...@opensentence.org (Jeff Rubard) wrote in message news:<740acfc5.03100...@posting.google.com>...
>
> > [...delete marginal attempts at over-analyzing a cliche...]

"Over-analyzing" is just right, although you might not know why;
there's nothing more to a phrase than you want there to be, but making
that clear requires some work which in a perfect world would be
superfluous. You order
a perfect world, I'll hold the gloss.

> Well, you failed miserable to cause a realistic discussion with your
> weird post about you getting hurt by having anal sex.

Well, everything I'm saying is very realistic, and I don't worry too
much about anything else.

> > [...delete attempt to explain away lack of humanity...]

That's not traditionally been a complaint, either.

Jeff Rubard

Oct 8, 2003, 4:38:50 PM10/8/03
> Well, you failed miserable to cause a realistic discussion with your
> weird post about you getting hurt by having anal sex.
>
> > [...delete attempt to explain away lack of humanity...]

Let me flesh that comment out a little bit; "death education", such as
you were recently advocating here, is my idea of inhuman. How are you
to know that another person was not put on this earth to experience a
premature death? Well, who asked you?

Baby Peanut

Oct 9, 2003, 12:33:18 AM10/9/03
jru...@opensentence.org (Jeff Rubard) wrote in message news:<740acfc5.03092...@posting.google.com>...

> I tried it recently. It hurts, but it's safer (with protection) than
> a hot shot, and really no more dangerous without. But why do we care
> so much about fun that's not so fun?

Next time try some lube.

Jeff Rubard

Oct 9, 2003, 1:04:24 PM10/9/03
baby_...@yahoo.com (Baby Peanut) wrote in message news:<96d83290.03100...@posting.google.com>...

That's news people can use (although they're not all the same), and as
regards "learning how to die" all I am saying is that's something
people have traditionally managed to think about on their own time;
additionally, my feeling is that the appropriate insight in this case
may be provided by Gang Of Four's "Return The Gift": "Please send me
evenings and weekends".

Baby Peanut

Oct 10, 2003, 12:14:19 PM10/10/03
jru...@opensentence.org (Jeff Rubard) wrote in message news:<740acfc5.03100...@posting.google.com>...

Gang of Four? You are showing your age ;) Try something modern:

http://www.speakeasy.org/~bonkydog/luz/luz-2001-08-11.htm

Jeff Rubard

Oct 10, 2003, 6:13:29 PM10/10/03
baby_...@yahoo.com (Baby Peanut) wrote in message news:<96d83290.03101...@posting.google.com>...

Well, sometimes the "characteristics of the present age" aren't so
important
for evaluating a phenomenon: there are lots of angry young
Brooklynites who commit plectrum to string in the name of
*Entertainment!*, for example, and there is actually less to say about
*cancer* than ever.

Jeff Rubard

Oct 11, 2003, 7:42:47 PM10/11/03
jru...@opensentence.org (Jeff Rubard) wrote in message news:<740acfc5.03101...@posting.google.com>...

But to top myself (again), "Why make yourself so anxious? You'll give
yourself an ulcer" still seems pretty timely.

Jeffrey Rubard

Jan 16, 2022, 11:51:47 PM1/16/22
2022 Update: Still my decided opinion, researched a little bit more in the
intervening years (but not, truth be told, as much as an honest homosexual
man). In fact, you might assume your GF would have you skip it usually.

Jeffrey Rubard

Jan 18, 2022, 9:43:51 AM1/18/22
2021 Close-Out Sale, Final: "general precautions" kinda dope too.

Jeffrey Rubard

Jan 19, 2022, 5:51:00 PM1/19/22
2022 Update: I wonder what Foucault would have made of the W. thing.