Workout Routine... looking for opinions!

dano

Dec 28, 2003, 9:15:09 PM12/28/03
Hello,
I have a few questions regarding workout rountine... I want to
concentrate on my biceps, forearms and my chest... doesn't every guy!! Also
stomach... probably diet from what I here will get the last layer of padding
off so the 6 pack will be more visible instead of the store bought ones that
I see in my refrigerator!!

My rountine presently goes something like this:

1st day - Chest, Triceps, Abs
2nd day- Treadmill/Running, Stairclimber/Steppers
3rd day- Biceps, Forearms, Abs
4th day- Legs (with weights), light run/stairclimber
5th day- Shoulders, Back, Abs, light 20 minute aerobic (treadmill,stepper)
6th day- Rest... watch sports and movies... TV
7th day- light aerobic run... maybe just walk for 2 miles...

Usually workout for about 1 hour a day... does this sound good???... 40
year old male here, 6'4 around 230 lbs... I do like to workout... gym is 5
minutes from my house... I'm pretty consistant here...

Even though it's basically a 5 day rountine sometimes 6 days including the
small aerobic workout... I don't think it's to much at only 1 hour a
day... I mean, I'm not busting my ass or anything... I generally have a
warmup set with moderate weight or ease, than do a pyramid of 4 to 5 sets
per exercise and move on!!

I'd appreciate any advice... perhaps I should do 2 or 3 sets with more
weight once in a while to break up the rountineness of all this... once in a
while I do a Cleanup day... of just weird other exercises that are not
really circuit kind of stuff...

Thanks, Dano

FitnessCall

Dec 29, 2003, 10:50:34 AM12/29/03
Try extremely slow movements (like 5 counts up and 5 counts down) with
each rep. Do this in place of your regular workouts a couple days a
week. You'll be amazed at the difference.

Sue
GetThatBody.com

Keith Hobman

Dec 29, 2003, 10:58:16 AM12/29/03
In article <2026ac1f.0312...@posting.google.com>,
bodya...@wyan.org (FitnessCall) wrote:

How can we not get excited about advice from the source of this
inspriational workout advice?

------
(Body Toning)
Donkey Kicks - Great Butt Toner!  On all fours, keep head down, stomach
in, L-shape leg, flex foot in (heel out) and press lower leg into butt.
Do 3 sets of 10.  For best effect, squeeze butt with each press . Works
Hamstrings and Tightens all Butt Muscles.

(Body Toning)
Lovehandle Buster ! - You'll feel this move tomorrow; it's effective - On
knees, slightly tilt pelvic in; keep back straight.  Arms out, slowly
touch floor to right, then left.  Do one set of 10.  Go farther down on
2nd set, touching knuckles to the floor, then even farther on 3rd,
touching palm to the floor.  Slow your movements the farther you
stretch.   Breaks up the fatty cells around the middle and tones the
muscles.   Do 6 sets.

(45-Minute Miracle)
Wide Leg Squat -Works entire lower body, great for inner-thighs too!
With feet slightly wider than shoulder width apart, hold barbell on
shoulders and lower body slowly as if you are going to sit down.  Keep
back straight.  Return slowly to starting position pushing up with your
butt.  Use both the up and down motions as muscle strengthening moves.

(45-Minute Miracle)
Single Arm Curls "Preacher Curls " - Use weight bench at an angle and
slowly curl arm in.  Return slowly to starting position and repeat.  Tip:
Use lower palm of hand to 'press' weight on the up motion; it will help
you use the right muscles.  Works Biceps exclusively & effectively.

 45-Minute Miracle -This full-body workout can be performed from the
privacy of your home, or take it to your favorite gym for a great
routine!  Weight bench and free weights, dumbells (or use of gym
equipment) recommended for these exercises.  It works your large muscle
groups first and the secondary muscle groups last as recommended by
professional body-builders.  Circuit-training designed for ultimate
fat-burning, muscle building benefits!  No previous weight lifting
experience required.

(45-Minute Miracle)
 Chest Press - Lay on bench and using a bar or barbells, palms facing
forward, lift weight toward ceiling, using your chest and inner-arm
muscles to push up and slowly bring back to starting position.  Don't lock
elbows .  Works Chest (primary), Arms and Front of Shoulders (secondary).

(Body Toning)
Hip Circles -Tones hips and outer thighs, eliminates saddlebags  - Lay on
side, bend bottom leg in, extend top leg slightly forward.  Keep all
muscles tight and make a circle using leg muscles to make the move.  Point
toes for first set, flex for second, etc.  Reverse motion for sets 3 & 4.
Do 4 sets of 10 (1 complete circle is 1 count.)

Pilates -The Pilates routine takes about 15-20 minutes to complete.  It
includes moves for the entire body and a concentrated pilate abdominal
routine.  Full color photos included (none shown above)

--
Keith Hobman

--- email address above is a non-monitored spam sink.

SJ

Dec 29, 2003, 11:05:56 AM12/29/03
Keith Hobman wrote:

I am totally uninspired. There's nothing in this list that'll tone the
backs of my arms. Please tell me that magical exercise is on her website
somewhere!

Chupacabra

Dec 29, 2003, 11:11:23 AM12/29/03
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 09:58:16 -0600, kho...@sasktel.net (Keith Hobman)
wrote:

>In article <2026ac1f.0312...@posting.google.com>,
>bodya...@wyan.org (FitnessCall) wrote:
>
>> Try extremely slow movements (like 5 counts up and 5 counts down) with
>> each rep. Do this in place of your regular workouts a couple days a
>> week. You'll be amazed at the difference.
>>
>> Sue
>> GetThatBody.com
>
>How can we not get excited about advice from the source of this
>inspriational workout advice?
>
>------
>(Body Toning)
>Donkey Kicks - Great Butt Toner!  On all fours, keep head down, stomach
>in, L-shape leg, flex foot in (heel out) and press lower leg into butt.
>Do 3 sets of 10.  For best effect, squeeze butt with each press . Works
>Hamstrings and Tightens all Butt Muscles.

Does it have to be my butt, or can I squeeze someone else's?

Lee Michaels

Dec 29, 2003, 11:15:33 AM12/29/03

"Keith Hobman" <kho...@sasktel.net> wrote in message

> In article <2026ac1f.0312...@posting.google.com>,
> bodya...@wyan.org (FitnessCall) wrote:
>
> > Try extremely slow movements (like 5 counts up and 5 counts down) with
> > each rep. Do this in place of your regular workouts a couple days a
> > week. You'll be amazed at the difference.
> >
> > Sue
> > GetThatBody.com
>
> How can we not get excited about advice from the source of this
> inspriational workout advice?

I think a lobotomy would help.

It is amazing that folks repackage all the old myths and fantasies and try
to pass if off as something that is valid and workable.

Keith Hobman

Dec 29, 2003, 11:16:03 AM12/29/03
In article <bspji0$f5q7d$1...@ID-195556.news.uni-berlin.de>, SJ
<sjau...@att.net> wrote:

All you have to do is apply the process of the 'lovehandle buster' so you
can get that miraculous process that "breaks up the fatty cells around the

middle and tones the muscles".

Umm.

Gee. Exactly how is it possible to break up fatty cells? If only Sue would
answer some posts. I'd love to have an explanation of the biological
process of breaking up fatty cells.

But I digress. Sue has her own website and they _charge_ for programs and
advice. Ergo she is a _professional_ and therefore can't be wrong! Even if
what they say is exactly the opposite of scientific research!

SJ

Dec 29, 2003, 11:13:33 AM12/29/03
Chupacabra wrote:

And if you squeeze someone else's, does your butt get toned or does theirs?

Lee Michaels

Dec 29, 2003, 11:22:40 AM12/29/03

"SJ" <sjau...@att.net> wrote in message

Actually this is a forearm exercise.

Lee Michaels

Dec 29, 2003, 11:25:31 AM12/29/03

"Keith Hobman" <kho...@sasktel.net> wrote

> Gee. Exactly how is it possible to break up fatty cells? If only Sue would
> answer some posts. I'd love to have an explanation of the biological
> process of breaking up fatty cells.

I believe a miniature eggbeater is involved.

Top Sirloin

Dec 29, 2003, 11:19:58 AM12/29/03
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 10:16:03 -0600, kho...@sasktel.net (Keith Hobman) wrote:

>But I digress. Sue has her own website and they _charge_ for programs and
>advice. Ergo she is a _professional_ and therefore can't be wrong! Even if
>what they say is exactly the opposite of scientific research!

Yet she still probably makes more than MuscleMan.

--
Scott Johnson
"Always with the excuses for small legs. People like you are

Helgi Briem

Dec 30, 2003, 4:06:28 AM12/30/03
wrote:

>Gee. Exactly how is it possible to break up fatty cells? If only Sue would

>answer some posts. I'd love to have an explanation of the biological
>process of breaking up fatty cells.

It is possible you know. Only it involves liquefying the fat
cells with ultrasound, then sucking them away with a
suction pump. It's called liposuction.

dano

Dec 30, 2003, 4:28:40 PM12/30/03
Thanks Keith
I'll give it a look... always looking for new workouts...

And, thanks all who responded

Dano

Kooter

Jan 3, 2004, 4:46:58 AM1/3/04

"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nada-spam*@comcast.net> wrote in message

So you're saying that slow reps are no better than fast reps?

Lee Michaels

Jan 3, 2004, 5:02:37 AM1/3/04

"Kooter" <chuckbowl...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
A little selective editing has taken place. I responded to a whole page of
drivel that Keith posted from the retard wepsite. Many conventional myths
were on that page. And I would be very wary of any source who happens to
package and sell so much misinformation in one place.

As for slow versuse fast, what is slow and what is fast?

And I don't comment on the rantings of morons and idiots. If you think
anything on that webpage was valid training advice, I would recommend a good
working relationship with a sports doc.

Kooter

Jan 3, 2004, 6:07:24 AM1/3/04

> "Kooter" <chuckbowl...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

<snip>

> with

<snip>

> > So you're saying that slow reps are no better than fast reps?
> >

> A little selective editing has taken place. I responded to a whole page of
> drivel that Keith posted from the retard wepsite. Many conventional myths
> were on that page. And I would be very wary of any source who happens to
> package and sell so much misinformation in one place.
>
> As for slow versuse fast, what is slow and what is fast?
>
> And I don't comment on the rantings of morons and idiots. If you think
> anything on that webpage was valid training advice, I would recommend a
good
> working relationship with a sports doc.

First, I've never been to that page and have no idea what's on it. All I
know is that you made a direct comment on the validity of the statement
above - slow reps as opposed to fast reps. It's obvious that you don't like
the person on the other end of the statement. I don't care about that one
way or the other. All I'm trying to do is cut thru the bullshit and get at
the truth.

As to what is slow and what is fast, it seems to me like the description - 5
counts up and 5 counts down (I count by seconds) - would constitute a slow
rep. I know very few people who take a full 10 seconds to do a normal rep.

Lee Michaels

Jan 3, 2004, 1:13:13 PM1/3/04

"Kooter" <chuckbowl...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

Are you dense?? I made a comment about a whole page of bullshit.

Draw your own conclusions.

I did NOT make a comment about any one thing. OK??

Don't edit something from another post and make it look like I am commenting
on one tiny little item. I never did such a thing. I was talking about the
fact that the whole website was a collection of myths.

Now, go away.

Kooter

Jan 3, 2004, 9:54:12 PM1/3/04

"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nada-spam*@comcast.net> wrote in message

This was what I was responding too:
news:khobman-2912...@192.168.0.48... This is the ONLY post I saw
and was the one i responded to in which you were whining a bunch of drivel.

I asked you a simple question and instead of giving me a simple answer you
decided to just show me that you're simple thru and thru... Fucking
jackass... bye douche bag...

Lee Michaels

Jan 3, 2004, 10:17:37 PM1/3/04

"Kooter" <chuckbowl...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

Are we going to have a good cry now? While you are whining about what you
saw, maybe you could go back and see what the whole thread was about. (after
all, I mentioned this TWICE.)

But that would require some basic internet skill now, wouldn' it??

Never mind. Go have your good cry. Your fantasy world is intact.

Kooter

Jan 3, 2004, 10:31:00 PM1/3/04

> "Kooter" <chuckbowl...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > I asked you a simple question and instead of giving me a simple answer
you
> > decided to just show me that you're simple thru and thru... Fucking
> > jackass... bye douche bag...
>
> Are we going to have a good cry now? While you are whining about what you
> saw, maybe you could go back and see what the whole thread was about.
(after
> all, I mentioned this TWICE.)
>
> But that would require some basic internet skill now, wouldn' it??
>
> Never mind. Go have your good cry. Your fantasy world is intact.

LMAO... Fucking moronic little boy...

Ty for making it easy to spot the lobotimized idiots... :))

cya junior.. ;)

multipimp

Jan 6, 2004, 7:23:58 PM1/6/04
I highly recommend picking up a copy of Body Scultping Bible for Men
(check amazon its pretty cheap)

It has great illustrations of exercises - good workout plan - and some
other awesome advice.

-Jason
checkout www.empowerwellness.com for all your weightloss needs

caroldeans

Jan 15, 2004, 7:25:41 AM1/15/04
mult...@hotmail.com (multipimp) wrote in message news:<b8cea66c.04010...@posting.google.com>...

i have just started daily workouts how long do you suggest per day?

Karin

Jan 19, 2004, 9:30:20 AM1/19/04
Hi everybody !
Everyone knows that working out implies a well balanced diet in order
to keep healthy.
If you only want HEALTHY diet supplements, check this site out.
By ordering direct on line, you get 30 % discount.
These products are scientificaly checked and verified.
www.karindyson.mypharmanex.com
also help hungry children on www.karindyson.my-ntc.com
Thank you for them and... good work out everybody !

Suzanne

Jan 25, 2004, 10:43:59 AM1/25/04
karin...@skynet.be (Karin) wrote in message news:<9a5e5305.04011...@posting.google.com>...

What exactly is a diet supplement?

Is it possibly another word for "Slimming Pills?" Sorry, I personally
won't be checking out you're site - if you require to lose weight
combining healthy eating with exercise and losing small amount at a
time is the guaranteed way to lose weight BUT also keep it off!!!!!

Justin Case

Jan 25, 2004, 11:29:07 AM1/25/04

It was probably another word for meal replacement. Protein powder fits
in the category too.

Peter Allen

Jan 25, 2004, 5:52:28 PM1/25/04
"dano" <ad...@unknown.net> wrote in message news:<N6MHb.688390$Fm2.595429@attbi_s04>...

Comments in no particular order:

You'll look silly if you concentrate on your upper body that much and
ignore your legs. You'll also lose fat faster if you develop your leg
muscles more: they're capable of providing most power, and the extra
energy usage means more fat lost.

Your light aerobic run / walk thing is probably a waste of time:
walking a couple of miles is some use if you're really obese and lazy,
but if you're doing some exercise anyway it's not worth doing. Why not
go find a football club or similar, which will be much more fun and
better for you?

There's not much point doing three sessions a week of abs work: you're
not going to make your six-pack appear any faster. You'll only see it
when your body fat gets down low. Do one or two, and use the time to
work on your legs.

40 isn't old: you're only slightly down from your peak (in terms of
potential fitness, not necessarily actual fitness). You're certainly
not describing a program liable to cause overtraining.

I personally would dump some or all of the running and do something
like cycling or rowing, which require more muscle strength and tend to
cause less joint damage.

I tend to feel that light aerobic exercise isn't really worth doing.
You'll get significantly fitter if you're at least breathing a bit
hard; with the amount of stuff you're doing you might want to really
push hard with the cardio, 20 minutes three times a week of even
proper hard exercise isn't going to cause you problems.

Peter

Fit_pro

Jan 25, 2004, 11:28:31 PM1/25/04
PeterO...@hotmail.com (Peter Allen) wrote in message news:<b22685d8.04012...@posting.google.com>...

I agree.

The lower body is not to be neglected as your body is supposed to work
as an entire unit. Make sure you work the corresponding low back
musculature when you work the abs. When your abs contract so does
your back, inbalance will eventually cause injury. As for your biceps,
arms and chest. You are right, every guy wants them but few actually
achieve them. Most people neglect the genetic argument on these
message boards and it's too bad. If you look at some of your favorite
body builders when they were young you will notice a very similar body
structure to their current physique minus 100 + pounds. This is
because some people got the potential and some don't. You can always
make what you have better but realize your potential. If you have 16
inch arms at 25 guess what, you will probably have them at 40. Work
to be stronger than a vietnamese musk ox and half as pretty. Forget
the ripped body unless you are dedicating your life to it. The guys
you are looking at in the mags are typically between 4-8% body fat.
Or in laymen's terms, really fucking shredded. Shoot for something
realistic and have fun with it. If you need a new program send an
email to ry...@poconoadventureracing.net and I will take care of you.
Until then good luck and train hard.

Ryan

Shona

Feb 18, 2004, 4:17:15 AM2/18/04
Hello im looking for a good workout routine which will keep me fit and
tone me up slightly im not overweight but want to be able to eat what
I want without worrying I will put on weight. Any suggestions?

Matt Shepherd

Feb 18, 2004, 12:41:10 PM2/18/04
ry...@poconoadventureracing.net (Fit_pro) wrote in message news:<bde30c55.0401...@posting.google.com>...

> > > 1st day - Chest, Triceps, Abs
> > > 2nd day- Treadmill/Running, Stairclimber/Steppers
> > > 3rd day- Biceps, Forearms, Abs
> > > 4th day- Legs (with weights), light run/stairclimber
> > > 5th day- Shoulders, Back, Abs, light 20 minute aerobic (treadmill,stepper)
> > > 6th day- Rest... watch sports and movies... TV
> > > 7th day- light aerobic run... maybe just walk for 2 miles...

(snip snip)

> The lower body is not to be neglected as your body is supposed to work
> as an entire unit.

(more snip)

Newbie here with a question: wouldn't the aerobic work, which seems to
be almost all leg-intensive, compensate for the lack of formal
weight-training on the lower body? I know for muscle gain you need to
work very hard, but if you're looking for general fitness/toning, is
lots of leg-based cardio decent compensation for an upper-body focused
rest-of-routine?

I'm asking this because I'm working on routines for myself (as a
newbie, again) and I'm having a hard time keeping up the cardio on the
day after lower-body workouts and vice-versa. After twenty minutes of
intense jumprope, my legs have had just about enough -- but is there
no correlation between that exhaustion and the exhaustion of doing
squats, etc.?

Thanks,

Matt

DRS

Feb 18, 2004, 2:37:41 PM2/18/04
Matt Shepherd <matthew...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
10850b8c.04021...@posting.google.com

> ry...@poconoadventureracing.net (Fit_pro) wrote in message

> (snip snip)
>
>> The lower body is not to be neglected as your body is supposed to
>> work as an entire unit.
>
> (more snip)
>
> Newbie here with a question: wouldn't the aerobic work, which seems to
> be almost all leg-intensive, compensate for the lack of formal
> weight-training on the lower body?

Not really. It's recruiting the muscle fibres for endurance, not strength
or hypertrophy.

> I know for muscle gain you need to
> work very hard, but if you're looking for general fitness/toning, is
> lots of leg-based cardio decent compensation for an upper-body focused
> rest-of-routine?
>
> I'm asking this because I'm working on routines for myself (as a
> newbie, again) and I'm having a hard time keeping up the cardio on the
> day after lower-body workouts and vice-versa. After twenty minutes of
> intense jumprope, my legs have had just about enough -- but is there
> no correlation between that exhaustion and the exhaustion of doing
> squats, etc.?

If you use muscles a lot they'll get tired, but in this case you're using
them in two very different ways, one for endurance and one for
strength/hypertrophy.

--

"The central problem with the concept of the 'Axis of Evil' is that it
involves an assumption that the US is the 'fulcrum of virtue'."

Matt Shepherd

Feb 19, 2004, 9:12:28 AM2/19/04
"DRS" <d...@AlphaOmega2004sucksdonkeydicks.ihug.com.au> wrote in message news:<c10eu7$3cs$1...@lust.ihug.co.nz>...

> > Newbie here with a question: wouldn't the aerobic work, which seems to
> > be almost all leg-intensive, compensate for the lack of formal
> > weight-training on the lower body?
>
> Not really. It's recruiting the muscle fibres for endurance, not strength
> or hypertrophy.
>
> > I know for muscle gain you need to
> > work very hard, but if you're looking for general fitness/toning, is
> > lots of leg-based cardio decent compensation for an upper-body focused
> > rest-of-routine?
> >
> > I'm asking this because I'm working on routines for myself (as a
> > newbie, again) and I'm having a hard time keeping up the cardio on the
> > day after lower-body workouts and vice-versa. After twenty minutes of
> > intense jumprope, my legs have had just about enough -- but is there
> > no correlation between that exhaustion and the exhaustion of doing
> > squats, etc.?
>
> If you use muscles a lot they'll get tired, but in this case you're using
> them in two very different ways, one for endurance and one for
> strength/hypertrophy.

Okay, I think I understand that. Thanks!

- Matt

Peter Allen

Feb 19, 2004, 4:43:10 PM2/19/04
matthew...@hotmail.com (Matt Shepherd) wrote in message news:<10850b8c.04021...@posting.google.com>...

There's a little bit of correlation - but not much.
You'll generally be better at producing long term power with your legs
- e.g. cycling, rowing etc. (but I suspect not distance running -
Donovan?) if you're stronger, all else being equal, and you'll be able
to improve strength up to a point doing those activities.
However, when you're reasonably strong already, you're never really
testing your strength doing twenty minutes of cardio work. Your legs
may feel knackered, you may have trouble standing up, but essentially
you've been testing your cardiovascular system and your lactate
tolerance: your body will 'know' that you didn't need more strength to
do the work, and it won't develop unnecessarily. Similarly, while a
really unfit person will get some benefit to their fitness by doing
squats, once you get reasonably fit you won't get any fitness benefit
out of (normal length) sets of squats, even if you are out of breath
and heart rate well up at the end.

Obvious example of when doing lots of leg based cardio doesn't really
help leg strength: elite distance runners.
Most of the guys you see doing sports like cycling and rowing, who do
have big legs, get that from doing weight training and strength work
on the bike or water (if you climb hills in a big gear, or row hard at
a low stroke rate, you do test your strength).

Peter

Colette Martin

Feb 23, 2004, 1:28:19 PM2/23/04
suzan...@hotmail.com (Suzanne) wrote in message news:<644992f7.04012...@posting.google.com>...

Suzanne - I'm with you on this one, there is no need to go near any
type of pill or powder when exercising regularly and sensibly or
practicing healthy eating. Adding extra chemical matter to your body
is not the healthy option. What is the point of having an outer image
of health (in the short term) while damaging your major organs -
including your brain! - (in the long term.
Colette