Workout questions

Edward J. Wurtz

Apr 7, 2004, 10:43:18 AM4/7/04
I am a 46 y.o. male, 6'4", and 225 lbs. I joined a gym two months ago. I
have lost 15 lbs. I have been going to the gym four days a week, on
average. I do 10 minutes on the treadmill (aerobic), a circuit workout on
14 machines (twice), then 20 minutes on the treadmill (aerobic). My goal is
to get under 200 lbs and be fit. (I was fit in my 20's & 30's.)

How often should I go to the gym? Is four days in a row, then one day for a
break, too much? Once I get to my goal weight is 3 days a week sufficient?

--
Edward

Charley

Apr 8, 2004, 11:36:24 AM4/8/04
"Edward J. Wurtz" <trib...@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<9sUcc.210860$Cb.1815643@attbi_s51>...

I'm struggling with the same issue. I've got a decent gym in my
basement. I work out..at least...5 days a week. I've been doing this
for several years. My workouts are mainly weight training. I do get
aerobic exercise daily. I also am extremely vigilant in my diet.
I've seen tremendous improvement in my physique, but nowhere near a
'bodybuilder' type body. I'm trim and decently muscular. Not bulked
up. I've seen a lot written about working out too much. I may cut
back to 3 or 4 days a week. At this point, I'm positive that I'm
psychologically dependent on working out. I'll have to wean myself
off that. I'm 52 years old. I'm 6'5" and weigh 230. I can't imagine
being as tall as you are and weighing under 200. Unless, of course,
you're extremely slight in bone structure. Trying to sift through all
the information out there is really difficult. Good luck.

Keith

Apr 12, 2004, 12:31:47 PM4/12/04
"Edward J. Wurtz" <trib...@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<9sUcc.210860$Cb.1815643@attbi_s51>...

How often you go depends on how much you want to accomplish. There
are several transformation programs out there to try. The one that
has seen the most people experience dramatic changes IMO is Body for
Life. It is exercise and nutrition for 6 days a week. The 7th is
off. 3x a week intense cardio for 20 min and 3x a week weights for
45-50 minutes. Firsthand I had dramatic results. Feel free to visit
a page I wrote about the program.

http://www.30yearsonearth.com/body-for-life.html

Trevor

Apr 16, 2004, 7:51:02 AM4/16/04
ke...@30yearsonearth.com (Keith) wrote in message news:<57a6f402.04041...@posting.google.com>...

Hi Keith

First off, 15lbs in two months is good going. At 6'4" you are a tall
guy and BMI measurement will probably be inaccurate. I would suggest
that 200lbs at your height may be too light, unless you are carrying
weight around your middle.
Are you aware of the recommended guidelines of "waist to hip ratio"
measurement? Check out my newsletter at :
there is an article on Obesity/Overweight and covers the waist-hip
ratio measurement recommendation guidelines.

How fit do you want to be? At 46, you are unlikely to ever recapture
the fitness of your youth. Being an optimum weight, reducing body fat,
lowering bad cholesterol levels, maintaining healthy cardiovascular
function and feeling good
should be the main objective.

A combination of exercise and healthy diet are the key factors. Your
regime of 4 days at the gym and 1 day off seems a little excessive. 4
days spread over the week may achieve what you want - 4 days gym and 3
days "off". On your days "off", go swimming, light jogging and do some
home calisthenics to include light weights, stepping, push ups etc.
Make sure, if you are not already, that your diet and nutrition is
composed of fresh and unprocessed food, and drink plenty of filtered
water.

Good luck

Trevor Anderson www.homeandhealthyliving.com