Opinions on SmartGym?

Steven York

Jul 12, 2003, 12:14:57 AM7/12/03
Sorry for the wide distribution, but does anyone have any opinions on
SmartGym? I've been reading their site and it looks great for us folks that
do a lot of traveling and the hotels don't have exercise rooms.

Their site is: http://www.smartgym.com/

Thanks!
--S.Y.

John HUDSON

Jul 12, 2003, 2:30:59 AM7/12/03
On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 04:14:57 GMT, "Steven York" <fsn...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Sorry for the wide distribution, but does anyone have any opinions on
>SmartGym?

Well it looks suspiciously like 'SPAM' to me, in which case I
understand it is 'traditional' to instruct you to FOAD!

So - FOAD!

Steven York

Jul 12, 2003, 2:03:42 PM7/12/03
Before the original topic gets lost in all this meaningless banter, let's
get back to the question at hand. Does anyone have or does anyone know
someone that has used the SmartGym device? (http://www.smartgym.com/)

As mentioned earlier, I travel quite a bit and this device looks very
promising when I'm at a hotel with little or not exercise equipment. It
would also save me some money because I wouldn't have to pay for guest fees
for reciprocal visits to out-of-town gyms.

Thanks (again)
--S.Y.

"Bob Garrison" <bob...@nsyahoo.com> wrote in message

> "John HUDSON" <j...@linear.com> wrote in message
> > On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 10:22:41 -0400, Bob Cardone
> > <cardone1!@!mindspring.com> wrote:

> > >Can dish it out , but can't take it eh?
> >
> > I'm not quite sure how you arrived at that conclusion, I thought I had
> > entered into the spirit of things!
> >
> > Perhaps the humour got lost on it's journey over the 'pond'! ;o)
> >
> > <sigh> - I'm much misunderstood! <G>
> >

> Don't worry John it wasn't you. The Gazelle has turned Cardone's brain to
> mush.

Bob Garrison

Jul 12, 2003, 5:02:02 PM7/12/03

"Steven York" <fsn...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Before the original topic gets lost in all this meaningless banter,

What meaningless banter?

let's
> get back to the question at hand. Does anyone have or does anyone know
> someone that has used the SmartGym device?

Probably.

Rich Johnson

Jul 12, 2003, 5:13:04 PM7/12/03

"Steven York" <fsn...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Before the original topic gets lost in all this meaningless banter, let's
> get back to the question at hand. Does anyone have or does anyone know
> someone that has used the SmartGym device? (http://www.smartgym.com/)
>
> As mentioned earlier, I travel quite a bit and this device looks very
> promising when I'm at a hotel with little or not exercise equipment. It
> would also save me some money because I wouldn't have to pay for guest
fees
> for reciprocal visits to out-of-town gyms.
>
> Thanks (again)
> --S.Y.
Steven:

From what I have seen and tried the rubber band gyms are not worth it. You
might try the rubber band things that you step on, as they are cheap and
travel well. Also, you might go to a sporting good store and get a couple
of those plastic 5 gal jugs with handles on them. They can act as weights
and "kettle bells" and give you a reasonable workout. As to aerobic, get a
jump rope, or just go walk every evening. On the road is a pain unless you
pick a hotel with a gym.

Rich

Steven York

Jul 12, 2003, 5:34:20 PM7/12/03
Yeah, that's what one of the things I was considering (a basic exercise
rubber band). I have also seen the water-filled dumbbells
(http://www.bodytrends.com/products/weights/aquabells.htm).

Normally, the hotels in which I stay have average "exercise rooms", some
have full gyms/spas, and many times, all they have is a treadmill and a
cycle machine. :-(

--S.Y.

"Rich Johnson" <ri...@remove.this.tairedd.com> wrote in message

Steven York

Jul 12, 2003, 8:37:28 PM7/12/03
Thanks for the info, Bob.

In fact, thanks to my newsgroup reader, I've blocked out Bob Garrison and
any messages he may send. I'll never know he replied to not only my messages
, but to anyone else's. Simply put, he does not exist in any of these
newsgroups according to my news reader software. Even if he sends me direct
email, I won't get it. Any other "ass-wipes" that waste my bandwidth will
also get put on my shit list.

Now, since that is out of the way, I'm thinking seriously about the
SmartGym. I figure that it has a 30-day money back guarantee, so it's
virtually risk-free. I'm leaving next week on a two-week trip to New
Orleans, then in August, I'm down to Bora Bora/Tahiti on vacation. Both
hotels have equipment and machines, so I'm not in a hurry to buy the
smartgym just yet. Maybe toward the end of summer, I'll do it. You can bet,
I'll post a review of it if I buy it.

Later!
--S.Y.

"Bob Cardone" <cardone1!@!mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Steven,
>
> You will find generally on this newsgroup a group of imbeciles that
> think it is funny to:
>
> 1 Put down people that ask a legitimate question.
> 2. Accuse you of spamming
> 3. Talk down to you like you are a moron when in fact they are trying
> to legitimize their reason for existing by posting on these
> newsgroups. (Like B Garrison for instance)
> 4. Tell you that your selection of exercise equipment is totally wrong
> because you don't know jack-shit and they are experts at everything (
> like Bob Garrison for example, who knows basically nothing about
> everything)
>
> To me, the Smartgym looks like a pretty good deal for about $80 and if
> you can get a reasonable workout with it when on the road ( I travel a
> great deal and know exactly what you are talking about) , then I would
> gamble the money and go for it and do let us know how it works.
>
> Above all, don't listen to these piles of excrement like Garrison
> and the other AHole that accused you of spamming when he had no proof
> at all that you were in fact spamming. . These people are usually big
> fat slobs that haven't exercise in years other than masturbating while
> looking at pictures of the Simpsons.
>

> Bob

Blue Monk

Jul 12, 2003, 9:00:16 PM7/12/03
How you do figure it looks promising? Push ups, dips between chairs,
etc...look promising.

Monk

On 7/12/03 2:03 PM, in article 24YPa.3548$Ao6....@twister.socal.rr.com,

JC Der Koenig

Jul 12, 2003, 8:59:45 PM7/12/03

"Blue Monk" <noemai...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> How you do figure it looks promising? Push ups, dips between chairs,
> etc...look promising.
>
> Monk

Yeah, no shit. Why is it that people want to buy something that gives less
resistance than bodyweight exercises? The only reason to use equipment is to
go beyond the level of pushups, dips, pullups, etc.

Steven York

Jul 12, 2003, 11:56:16 PM7/12/03
The way I look at it is that it adds variety. Being on the road a lot,
dipping between chairs gets old.

I would depending on that piece of travel equipment solely. It's just
another tool in my fitness regimen.

--S.Y.

Steven York

Jul 12, 2003, 11:59:37 PM7/12/03
>>Why is it that people want to buy something
>>that gives less resistance than bodyweight exercises?

When you are a little skinny guy like me, bodyweight alone won't cut it.
;-)

Besides...it's only 70 bucks with a money-back guarantee. If it turns out
that dipping between chairs and lifting water-filled dumbbells is a better
workout, then hey, I'll return it. It's no biggie.

--S.Y.

"JC Der Koenig" <jcder...@ibm.com> wrote in message

Steven York

Jul 13, 2003, 12:14:19 AM7/13/03
Oops...typo...I meant to say that "I would not depend on that piece of
travel equipment solely."

"Steven York" <fsn...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

John M. Williams

Jul 13, 2003, 2:00:44 AM7/13/03
"Steven York" <fsn...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>>Why is it that people want to buy something
>>>that gives less resistance than bodyweight exercises?
>
>When you are a little skinny guy like me, bodyweight alone won't cut it.

Then look closely at the exercises. Since you cannot anchor your body
against anything for exercises like the chest press and pulldown,
you're limited by your bodyweight, anyway.

Steven York

Jul 13, 2003, 2:05:43 AM7/13/03
You have a point. These issues are exactly what I was fishing for in my
original request for opinions on this piece of equipment. I'll take that
into consideration when deciding on it.

--S.Y.

"John M. Williams" <jmwil...@enforcergraphics.f2s.com> wrote in message

Screachy Preachy

Jul 13, 2003, 1:35:43 PM7/13/03

Unless rubber bands are very thick and long--and therefore very
expensive--they are largely inherently useless. Esp. when compared to
calisthenics and isometrics. In fact, some 'band-type exercises ARE
essentially isometrics, in which case you could use a simple rope. Rope
isometrics are a *very* effective training method.

Because of the force equation of 'bands (F=-kx), the force
variation is *necessarily* large in a short range, which usually means
that one part of the ROM is quite underworked, unless the 'band is made
*very* long (and thick), which reduces the force variation--but then
greatly drives up the cost of the band--and also the whole notion of
simple convenience. Which, in most cases, is simplistic convenience.
The great selling point of this type of stuff is that visually,
it *appears* as if a lot is going on--tricep extensions in 6 different
positions, this motion, that motion. When the simple pushup IS a tricep
extension, which, for most people, doesn't matter in what position it's
performed in/from. Ditto curls. The chinup IS a curl, essentially.
Combined with other motions/muscles, of course.
So despite the visual wizardry of a lot of these presentations,
not only are the images largely false (ie, misleading appearance of
resistance), they are also superfluous.
Calisthenics and isometrics need not be repetitive or boring, any
more than exercise as a whole might be. Properly used, and with a little
creativity, they can obviate machines for many people--they are
extraordinarily effective and efficient. But isometrics do not seem to
have caught on, and probably never will, largely because *visually* they
are so uninteresting. Calisthenics are not so easy to modulate in terms
of resistance, and in fact are too difficult for many people. Ergo the
incredible spate of bogus products on the market, purporting to
""""solve"""" this problem--which includes ALL ab products, except for
the Nautilus Ab Crunch machine (a paltry $10,000).

Which seques nicely to another comment, that machines exist for
greater-than-BW resistance. This is true for the athletic population,
but patently UNtrue for perhaps the overall majority of the population,
who need or can only handle resistance at considerably less than
BW--altho BW is always a nice goal!
The fact that most people cannot handle even the simple
calisthenic has in fact given rise to the plethora of crap apparati (!)
on the market today--traditional home gyms not included, of course. But
likely including this rubber band thingy. A noble concept made
simplistic--and superfluous, given the combined versatility of
calisthenics and isometrics. Perhaps useful to the truly
exercise-challenged.
Oil, IMO, serves us much better as fuel than as the starting
material for useless rubber bands.
----------------------
Kristofer Hogg, ms, rd
HoloBarre Rehab/Fitness/Stretching Systems, Yonkers, NY
to email: Remove the numeric value of pi in my address

SPeacock

Jul 14, 2003, 2:33:08 AM7/14/03
> *much of the good stuff snipped*

> The fact that most people cannot handle even the simple
> calisthenic has in fact given rise to the plethora of crap apparati (!)
> on the market today--traditional home gyms not included, of course. But
> likely including this rubber band thingy. A noble concept made
> simplistic--and superfluous, given the combined versatility of
> calisthenics and isometrics. Perhaps useful to the truly exercise-challenged.

And your opine on the ol' 5BX or XBX (fem. side) program?

http://flwd.com/5bx/main/

It was the bulwork of the Canadian military and at least USAF. As I remember
it, it was gawd awful tough enough just to work up to a reasonable level. Not a
lot of weight thrown around - other than personal stuff.

Less to throw around if a proper diet was maintained.

It worked for me when on the road. Not a lot of gyms or "liftin' arn" where I
was placed. It does tend to bother the people on the floor below if you are in a
hotel, however.

Crapparati INDEED!!! HA!

Millionairemaker

Jul 18, 2003, 12:07:13 PM7/18/03
I saw the RCAF workout schedule. Do the years on the charts relate to
chronological age - ie. 6 years = 6 year old standards?

Thanks

Roland Holowaty,
Learn how to make 1 Million Dollars on the Internet in just one year.
>>> http://transfer.to/rolandstarr <<<