24-hour fitness has become a homeless shelter

d...@nospam.com

Dec 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/2/00

I have been going to the 24-hour Fitness center in Santa Monica,
California, since 1984 when it was the Sports Connection. The place had
class then. It sure doesn't now. Ever since it went to being open 24
hours, at least 2 different homeless women have been sleeping there. The
management finally got rid of one of them who was getting in there on a
day pass.

There is another one who has been there for months. It turns out she has
a paid membership and the police can't even remove her. The management's
attitude is that they can't doing anything because she has a membership -
even though many of us have complained about her.

She sleeps on benches in the women's locker room, in toilet stalls, in
showers, and on equipment. She has a foul mouth and got really beligerent
when she was asked to come out of the shower stall she was sleeping in.
She refused to come out even though there was a line of women waiting to
use the showers. The manager just left her there and didn't even call the
cops.

For this reason, I am letting my 24-hour fitness membership lapse. I have
checked out Bodies In Motion in Century City and will join that gym. My
frustration at seeing this homeless woman at the 24-Hour Fitness center
has dissuaded me from going there as much as I used to.

Yes, I have complained to 24-hour Fitness's corporate office through their
website. I keep getting promises that it is being dealt with but continue
to see this woman there.

Bob Mann

Dec 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/2/00
On Sat, 02 Dec 2000 15:58:34 GMT, d...@nospam.com wrote:

>She sleeps on benches in the women's locker room, in toilet stalls, in
>showers, and on equipment. She has a foul mouth and got really beligerent
>when she was asked to come out of the shower stall she was sleeping in.
>She refused to come out even though there was a line of women waiting to
>use the showers. The manager just left her there and didn't even call the
>cops.

Anyone just consider turning on the cold water tap?
--
Bob Mann

Sex is like air; it's not important unless you
aren't getting any

d...@nospam.com

Dec 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/2/00

>Anyone just consider turning on the cold water tap?
>--
>Bob Mann

Would have had to reach over her to do it.

Bob Mann

Dec 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/2/00

That's why they pay management the big bucks. :)

Trey Monsour

Dec 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/2/00
On Sat, 02 Dec 2000 20:20:01 GMT, d...@nospam.com wrote:

>>Anyone just consider turning on the cold water tap?
>>--
>>Bob Mann
>>
>Would have had to reach over her to do it.

So then reach over her and do it. I'm normally a pretty nice guy, but
once you've been polite to someone for long enough about the sort of
issues that have been brought up with her, and she still doesn't care,
then it's time to be just as annoying and beligerent to her. Remember
the golden rule - "Do unto others as you would have them do unto
you."? Well, start doing unto her... sometimes that's the only way to
clearly get your message across.

Trey

"If you think you can, you will... It's all in a state of mind."

(please remove the NOSPAM from my address before replying)

d...@nospam.com

Dec 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/2/00
In article <2koi2to6g7j2v573r...@4ax.com>,
bobman...@hometoday.com wrote:

>That's why they pay management the big bucks. :)
>--
>Bob Mann

Agreed. That's why I'm changing membership to another fitness center.
I'm tired of management's promise to deal with it and continuing to see
this woman there despite management's promise.

Bill

Dec 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/2/00
Trey Monsour wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Dec 2000 20:20:01 GMT, d...@nospam.com wrote:
>

> >>Anyone just consider turning on the cold water tap?
> >>--
> >>Bob Mann
> >>
> >Would have had to reach over her to do it.
>
> So then reach over her and do it.

Failing that, get a bucket of water and dump it on her.

--
Regards,
Bill

d...@nospam.com

Dec 2, 2000, 8:01:58 PM12/2/00
I should add that this particular 24-hour fitness is the same health club
where the movie "Perfect" which starred John Travolta and Jamie Lee Curtis
was made (in 1984).

Steve Bildermann

Dec 2, 2000, 10:12:50 PM12/2/00
Is that the one up off Ocean Park Blvd?

<d...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> I have been going to the 24-hour Fitness center in Santa Monica,
> California, since 1984 when it was the Sports Connection. The place had
> class then. It sure doesn't now. Ever since it went to being open 24
> hours, at least 2 different homeless women have been sleeping there. The
> management finally got rid of one of them who was getting in there on a
> day pass.
>
> There is another one who has been there for months. It turns out she has
> a paid membership and the police can't even remove her. The management's
> attitude is that they can't doing anything because she has a membership -
> even though many of us have complained about her.
>

> She sleeps on benches in the women's locker room, in toilet stalls, in
> showers, and on equipment. She has a foul mouth and got really beligerent
> when she was asked to come out of the shower stall she was sleeping in.
> She refused to come out even though there was a line of women waiting to
> use the showers. The manager just left her there and didn't even call the
> cops.

Styoung

Dec 2, 2000, 10:27:15 PM12/2/00
>Yes, I have complained to 24-hour Fitness's corporate office through their
>website. I keep getting promises that it is being dealt with but continue
>to see this woman there.

They do have a right to refuse business to anyone, so it's like they are
powerless just because she's a member. They could pass certain rules tomorrow
if they wanted to, I guess they just don't feel its that big of a problem.

Styoung

Dec 2, 2000, 10:29:27 PM12/2/00
Also, if you think that's bad, you should love the public library. In my city
at least, its the daytime homeless shelter.

Bryce Lane

Dec 2, 2000, 10:46:34 PM12/2/00
I'll bet I know which city you live in.
--
Bryce Lane
http://b_movie.tripod.com

Styoung <sty...@aol.com> wrote in article
<20001202222927...@ng-md1.aol.com>...

Keith M. Carlsen

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
>Also, if you think that's bad, you should love the public library. In my city
>at least, its the daytime homeless shelter.

It is like that in a lot of big cites. Often, you will find a shelter (which
is used at night) within a few miles.

Keith M. Carlsen
Elite Strength Training Links
http://members.aol.com/linksworld/strength.html
Alt.Sport.Weightlifting
http://www.aswonline.com
Mushindo Ryukyu Kempo
http://www.mushindo-kempo.org.uk/

YoMousey

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
Oh poor you, life is so tough the little homeless lady is making life oh so
stressful for you.

Gimme a freakin' break, grow up and have a heart and thank God you are better
off than she is. Maybe you could offer to buy her lunch and send her off to the
local diner while you workout if she bothers you so much.

wrote:

>I have been going to the 24-hour Fitness center in Santa Monica,
>California, since 1984 when it was the Sports Connection. The place had
>class then. It sure doesn't now. Ever since it went to being open 24
>hours, at least 2 different homeless women have been sleeping there. The
>management finally got rid of one of them who was getting in there on a
>day pass.
>
>There is another one who has been there for months. It turns out she has
>a paid membership and the police can't even remove her. The management's
>attitude is that they can't doing anything because she has a membership -
>even though many of us have complained about her.
>
>She sleeps on benches in the women's locker room, in toilet stalls, in
>showers, and on equipment. She has a foul mouth and got really beligerent
>when she was asked to come out of the shower stall she was sleeping in.
>She refused to come out even though there was a line of women waiting to
>use the showers. The manager just left her there and didn't even call the
>cops.
>
>For this reason, I am letting my 24-hour fitness membership lapse. I have
>checked out Bodies In Motion in Century City and will join that gym. My
>frustration at seeing this homeless woman at the 24-Hour Fitness center
>has dissuaded me from going there as much as I used to.

John and Debbie Trujillo

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
on 12/3/00 12:09 AM,Keith M. Carlsen wrote:

>> Also, if you think that's bad, you should love the public library. In my city
>> at least, its the daytime homeless shelter.
>

> It is like that in a lot of big cites. Often, you will find a shelter (which
> is used at night) within a few miles.
>
> Keith M. Carlsen
> Elite Strength Training Links
> http://members.aol.com/linksworld/strength.html
> Alt.Sport.Weightlifting
> http://www.aswonline.com
> Mushindo Ryukyu Kempo
> http://www.mushindo-kempo.org.uk/

That's when this lady is there is at night. There are homeless shelters
(nice ones) close by.

d...@nospam.com

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00

Give ME a break!! If she can afford to buy a membership there then she
can afford to buy her own meals. She certainly doesn't look like she's
starving! Also, there are several nice homeless shelters not too far from
this gym so she doesn't need to sleep there.

Also, if you're so naive, you obviously don't know anything about dealing
with homeless people (or maybe YOU need to grow up). Granted many of them
are down on their luck and are doing their best to get back on their feet
and I am only too happy to help them when I can. However, I have worked
with them through my church and know when I encounter people that will
take advantage whenever they can, have an attitude that the world owes
them a living (sometimes because their minds are fogged from years of
consuming alcohol and/or drugs), and are sometimes homeless by choice. I
don't know if this lady is homeless by choice - however, she will
definitely take advantage whenever she can and thinks the world owes her a
living. She demonstrated that the night she wouldn't come out of the
shower stall when there was a line of women waiting there to use the
showers and called them "fucking crybabies."

I will NOT help anyone with an attitude like this.

Will Brink

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
In article <dt-021200...@we-24-30-118-27.we.mediaone.net>,
d...@nospam.com wrote:

> I have been going to the 24-hour Fitness center in Santa Monica,
> California, since 1984 when it was the Sports Connection. The place had
> class then.

You realize this could only happen in CA right?! Crazy place.

--
Will Brink
__________________

Will Brink

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00

I would have left the first and only time they said bacause she had a
membership there was nothing they could do. Of course there is. People get
there memberships cancled in my gym if they are asked to pick up their
weights more than three times, screaming when lifting, starting fights,
etc, much less trying to sleep there and abusing the members. Get your ass
kicked around here if you did that, but this is New England, home of nasty
mean Yankees. They should either call the cops to deal with it or pick her
ass up and throw her out and cancel her membership for abusing that
membership. I know most membership contracts have a clause that says
something to the effect of "the managmennt has the right to cancel or
refuse a membership for such and such reasons." This is not case of some
form of descrimination but abuse of the contract, the members, and the
club period. Morons.

Will Brink

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00

I was thnking pepper spray. Tape down the botton, and throw it in the
shower like a grenade and split. Works well in hall ways too..not that I
would know :-)

> --
> Regards,
> Bill

Will Brink

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
In article <20001202222715...@ng-md1.aol.com>, sty...@aol.com
(Styoung) wrote:

Jesus CA is a strange place. I would consider a freakin major problem if I
worked there.

Will Brink

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
In article <20001202222927...@ng-md1.aol.com>, sty...@aol.com
(Styoung) wrote:

> Also, if you think that's bad, you should love the public library. In my city
> at least, its the daytime homeless shelter.

Dont you people have a police dept?! We dont play that stuff around here.

Will Brink

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
yomo...@aol.com (YoMousey) wrote:

> Oh poor you, life is so tough the little homeless lady is making life oh so
> stressful for you.
>
> Gimme a freakin' break, grow up and have a heart and thank God you are better
> off than she is. Maybe you could offer to buy her lunch and send her off
to the
> local diner while you workout if she bothers you so much.

You are a bigger person than we are I guess. You make me feel bad. I would
still have her ass thrown out however.

d...@nospam.com

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
In article <wbrink-0312...@user-2ive2ql.dialup.mindspring.com>,
wbr...@earthlink.net/NOSPAM (Will Brink) wrote:

Nope, he's just naive. He's obviously never dealt with homeless people
before.

When you get people asking you for money to buy food and you offer to buy
them the food instead and they refuse this offer (they are lying about
their intentions) or you serve meals at homeless shelters and get somebody
complaining because they got ham when they wanted turkey, you get a little
tired of dealing with them.

rick++

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
Not rare in a urban college I used to go to.
People would take up residence in any location open 24-hours- a library,
utility closet, basement- and not trafficked too much by authorities.
Most of these were students, or student-aged, to blend in easier.
Many dorms had their hanger-ons too- dropped out ex-residents, boy/girl
friends, etc.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Bob Mann

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
On Sat, 02 Dec 2000 23:29:03 GMT, d...@nospam.com wrote:

>In article <2koi2to6g7j2v573r...@4ax.com>,
>bobman...@hometoday.com wrote:
>

>>That's why they pay management the big bucks. :)
>>--
>>Bob Mann
>>

>Agreed. That's why I'm changing membership to another fitness center.
>I'm tired of management's promise to deal with it and continuing to see
>this woman there despite management's promise.

Can't argue wuth her being in there 24/7 (membership has its
priviledges?) unless she is hogging some piece of the gym that others
want to use.
At least she is keeping clean. :)

Bob Mann

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
On Sun, 03 Dec 2000 15:57:00 GMT, d...@nospam.com wrote:

>Give ME a break!! If she can afford to buy a membership there then she
>can afford to buy her own meals. She certainly doesn't look like she's
>starving! Also, there are several nice homeless shelters not too far from
>this gym so she doesn't need to sleep there.

Nice? Homeless shelter? Nice?
I doubt it.
Still, she pays out some $30-40/mth for a gym membership instead of
$gazillion for an apartment she is way further ahead. She may be using
her welfare food allowance to pay for it. Still, she must be eating
somewhere or she wouldbe starving. She can't be in there 24/7.
Sounds like she has found a nice twist to get a roof over her head.
I don't blame you and I don't blame her.
"Society is to blame"

>Also, if you're so naive, you obviously don't know anything about dealing
>with homeless people (or maybe YOU need to grow up). Granted many of them
>are down on their luck and are doing their best to get back on their feet
>and I am only too happy to help them when I can. However, I have worked
>with them through my church and know when I encounter people that will
>take advantage whenever they can, have an attitude that the world owes
>them a living (sometimes because their minds are fogged from years of
>consuming alcohol and/or drugs), and are sometimes homeless by choice. I
>don't know if this lady is homeless by choice - however, she will
>definitely take advantage whenever she can and thinks the world owes her a
>living. She demonstrated that the night she wouldn't come out of the
>shower stall when there was a line of women waiting there to use the
>showers and called them "fucking crybabies."

I agree that she should be grateful enough for not being evicted to at
least allow other members into the shower.

Styoung

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
>> I have been going to the 24-hour Fitness center in Santa Monica,
>> California, since 1984 when it was the Sports Connection. The place had
>> class then.
>

>You realize this could only happen in CA right?! Crazy place.

That and homeless with cell phones.

Styoung

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
>> Also, if you think that's bad, you should love the public library. In my
>city
>> at least, its the daytime homeless shelter.
>
>Dont you people have a police dept?! We dont play that stuff around here.

Police for what? Basically they are just in their reading and not causing
trouble so there's nothing the police can do, unless there is some rule against
being homeless and going to the library.

However, I was in my university's library one time and the police did have to
remove this one homeless guy because he was shouting.

d...@nospam.com

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
In article <ug3l2tslkabf6tvel...@4ax.com>,
bobman...@hometoday.com wrote:

That's what she is doing. As previously posted, she sleeps on equipment,
on benches in the locker room and in shower stalls that others want to
use. She has also prevented the janitorial staff from being able to clean
the women's restroom because she was passed out in one of the stalls with
he her down between her legs. The cleaning lady also didn't vacuum one
day in the locker room because this woman was sleeping on one of the
benches and she was afraid of waking her up.

d...@nospam.com

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00

>Can't argue wuth her being in there 24/7 (membership has its
>priviledges?) unless she is hogging some piece of the gym that others
>want to use.
>At least she is keeping clean. :)
>--
>Bob Mann

That's what she is doing. As previously posted, she sleeps on equipment,
on benches in the locker room and in shower stalls that others want to
use. She has also prevented the janitorial staff from being able to clean
the women's restroom because she was passed out in one of the stalls with

her head down between her legs. The cleaning lady also didn't vacuum one

Steve Bildermann

Dec 3, 2000, 10:08:24 PM12/3/00
I work for the health dept and I could have helped out here but nobody
bothered answer my question about which 24 hour club it is so sorry 'bout
that

"Steve Bildermann" <m...@privacy.com> wrote in message

d...@nospam.com

Dec 4, 2000, 12:01:02 AM12/4/00
In article <90f1rc$ntsr$1...@ID-40185.news.dfncis.de>, "Steve Bildermann"
<m...@privacy.com> wrote:

>I work for the health dept and I could have helped out here but nobody
>bothered answer my question about which 24 hour club it is so sorry 'bout
>that

It is the one on Ocean Park Boulevard. Sorry I didn't respond sooner.

Steve Bildermann

Dec 4, 2000, 1:03:29 AM12/4/00
Ok. I'll have an inspector swing by next week. It's in that industrial park
complex right?

<d...@nospam.com> wrote in message

d...@nospam.com

Dec 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/4/00
In article <90fc46$lb2g$1...@ID-40185.news.dfncis.de>, "Steve Bildermann"
<m...@privacy.com> wrote:

>Ok. I'll have an inspector swing by next week. It's in that industrial park
>complex right?

Yes. This woman is usually hanging out there anytime from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m.

Will Brink

Dec 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/4/00
In article <20001203134349...@ng-mi1.aol.com>, sty...@aol.com
(Styoung) wrote:

> >> Also, if you think that's bad, you should love the public library. In my
> >city
> >> at least, its the daytime homeless shelter.
> >
> >Dont you people have a police dept?! We dont play that stuff around here.
>
> Police for what? Basically they are just in their reading and not causing
> trouble so there's nothing the police can do, unless there is some rule
against
> being homeless and going to the library.

Reading or sleeping in the corner smelling the joint up? I assure you, in
Boston they would be booted out of a public library doing that.

> However, I was in my university's library one time and the police did have to
> remove this one homeless guy because he was shouting.

amill...@my-deja.com

Dec 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/4/00
In article <wbrink-0412...@user-2ive2ug.dialup.mindspring.com>,

wbr...@earthlink.net/NOSPAM (Will Brink) wrote:
> In article <20001203134349...@ng-mi1.aol.com>,
sty...@aol.com
> (Styoung) wrote:

[snip]

> > Police for what? Basically they are just in their reading and not
causing
> > trouble so there's nothing the police can do, unless there is some
rule
> against
> > being homeless and going to the library.
>
> Reading or sleeping in the corner smelling the joint up? I assure you,
in
> Boston they would be booted out of a public library doing that.

Are you kidding? Maybe Boston is different now than it was in 1989-94,
but let me tell you, I stopped going to the general collection at Copley
because of the smells wafting through the stacks. Research collection
was better. And the men's bathroom . . . <retching>

NarkyBark

Dec 4, 2000, 10:10:56 PM12/4/00
I'm not sure... I've seen a lot of smelly sketchy people in the library...
granted, I dont think they were homeless tho :)
(didn't know you from Boston... I am as well)

Nunnaya Bidniz

Dec 5, 2000, 10:43:13 AM12/5/00

See what happens when Reagan and the gov't cuts funding for Federally
funded short term mental asylums? They end up on the street, weirded
out, and making us miserable...

Better if they were getting meds and a place to sleep and relearn how
ot live.

Recently spotted bumper sticker:

WWJD?
JWRTFM

Nunnaya Bidniz

Dec 5, 2000, 10:41:28 AM12/5/00
On Sun, 03 Dec 2000 03:46:34 GMT, "Bryce Lane" <bry...@lightspeed.net>
wrote:

>I'll bet I know which city you live in.

Any city in the US is like that.

Nunnaya Bidniz

Dec 5, 2000, 10:46:10 AM12/5/00
On 03 Dec 2000 18:38:32 GMT, sty...@aol.com (Styoung) wrote:

>>> I have been going to the 24-hour Fitness center in Santa Monica,
>>> California, since 1984 when it was the Sports Connection. The place had
>>> class then.
>>

>>You realize this could only happen in CA right?! Crazy place.
>>

>That and homeless with cell phones.

no way, are you joking?

Will Brink

Dec 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/6/00
In article <41ZW5.66543$751.1...@typhoon.ne.mediaone.net>, "NarkyBark"
<nark...@askifyouneedtoknow.net> wrote:

> I'm not sure... I've seen a lot of smelly sketchy people in the library...
> granted, I dont think they were homeless tho :)

Smelly, strange, and sketchy yes, but living in there no.

> (didn't know you from Boston... I am as well)

I is.

Seth Breidbart

Dec 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/6/00
Will Brink <wbr...@earthlink.net/NOSPAM> wrote:

>Reading or sleeping in the corner smelling the joint up? I assure you, in
>Boston they would be booted out of a public library doing that.

A few years ago, some smelly bum won a large lawsuit against a town
because they kicked him out of the library for smelling the place up.

Seth
--
Note to self: a powerlifting meet is not a recommended taper
for a track event. --Ted K.

Keith M. Carlsen

Dec 7, 2000, 1:17:40 AM12/7/00
>A few years ago, some smelly bum won a large lawsuit against a town
>because they kicked him out of the library for smelling the place up.

I agree. That is discrimination.

Keith M. Carlsen
Elite Strength Training Links
http://members.aol.com/linksworld/strength.html
Alt.Sport.Weightlifting
http://www.aswonline.com
Mushindo Ryukyu Kempo
http://www.mushindo-kempo.org.uk/

Seth Breidbart

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
In article <20001207011740...@ng-fn1.aol.com>,

Keith M. Carlsen <traine...@aol.comUSArmyRe> wrote:
>>A few years ago, some smelly bum won a large lawsuit against a town
>>because they kicked him out of the library for smelling the place up.
>
>I agree. That is discrimination.

Only there isn't any law against discrimination on the basis of
refusing to take a shower.

Seth
--
You have a remarkable lack of empathy. -- Penn Jillette (to me)

John and Debbie Trujillo

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
on 12/7/00 11:02 AM,Seth Breidbart wrote:

> In article <20001207011740...@ng-fn1.aol.com>,
> Keith M. Carlsen <traine...@aol.comUSArmyRe> wrote:

>>> A few years ago, some smelly bum won a large lawsuit against a town
>>> because they kicked him out of the library for smelling the place up.
>>
>> I agree. That is discrimination.
>

> Only there isn't any law against discrimination on the basis of
> refusing to take a shower.
>
> Seth

But there is a law against creating a public nuisance. Refusing to take a
shower and then insisting on hanging out in a public place and subjecting
others to your terrible smell is creating a public nuisance.

Keith M. Carlsen

Dec 8, 2000, 4:26:49 PM12/8/00
>>I agree. That is discrimination.
>
>Only there isn't any law against discrimination on the basis of
>refusing to take a shower.

There does not need to be. This is a public place and you cannot kick someone
out if it does not close or they do not great the law. All of the
discrimination laws are not needed.

Keith M. Carlsen

Dec 8, 2000, 4:31:00 PM12/8/00
>There does not need to be. This is a public place and you cannot kick
>someone
>out if it does not close or they do not great the law. All of the
>discrimination laws are not needed.

I meant what is below.

This is a public place and you cannot kick

someone out if unless it closes or they break the law. Laws that discriminate
are banned by the Constitution. Therefor, no law that says you cannot smell
bad is legal.

rosecit...@gmail.com

May 4, 2018, 5:58:58 PM5/4/18
Ever wonder if she's still alive now? Did you or anyone else who saw her day after day ever try to help her? Where is your humanity?