Working out in the morning

1 view

Mike

May 12, 2005, 12:30:38 AM5/12/05
In the past I have lifted after work and then follow it up with some dinner
and relax for the evening. I may need to start lifting early morning before
work. Do those of you who work out in the morning eat something first and
wake up a bit or just get into it? I'm sure it's just a matter of the body
getting used to a new routine but I found I felt very flat trying to lift
before breakfast this morning.

Any tips?

Cheers

Mike

Larry Hodges

May 12, 2005, 1:30:45 AM5/12/05

If I died and went to hell, Satan would make me work out in the morning.
--
-Larry

Mike

May 12, 2005, 1:46:43 AM5/12/05

Larry Hodges <2la...@2maximizesoftware2.com> wrote in message ...

Look on the bright side. Free Sauna!!!!!

>--
>-Larry

Larry Hodges

May 12, 2005, 1:59:20 AM5/12/05

Dude, I've tried the morning workout gig. I hate it. Morning is for
coffee, then a good crap about 9am. That's about it.

If you can do it, more power to you. Keith had some comments on morning
lifting last summer. He recommended dropping your weight a %, and I'm not
sure what that number was. 15%? Not sure, and too lazy to google.
--
-Larry

me

May 12, 2005, 1:58:48 AM5/12/05
On Thu, 12 May 2005 15:16:43 +0930, "Mike" <M...@Mine.com> wrote:

>Look on the bright side. Free Sauna!!!!!

LOL!! 24/7.

Suze

May 12, 2005, 2:52:39 AM5/12/05
Quoting Larry Hodges:

>Dude, I've tried the morning workout gig. I hate it. Morning is for
>coffee, then a good crap about 9am.

Yeah, you've definitely got the Fat Bastard vibe goin' on.

Larry Hodges

May 12, 2005, 3:10:25 AM5/12/05

Thanks!

How're the maters?

I'm in Oregon, and the weather here sucks major ass. It's rained for 2 1/2
months. I hate it here. I can't imagine why anybody would move to Oregon
on purpose.
--
-Larry

Suze

May 12, 2005, 3:34:45 AM5/12/05
Quoting Larry Hodges:
>Suze wrote:
>> Quoting Larry Hodges:
>>
>>> Dude, I've tried the morning workout gig. I hate it. Morning is for
>>> coffee, then a good crap about 9am.
>>
>> Yeah, you've definitely got the Fat Bastard vibe goin' on.
>
>Thanks!
>
>How're the maters?

Ate the first ones day before yesterday. Sungold (cherry) and Black
Cherry. I'll have to wait a few more days for some of the bigger
ones.

>I'm in Oregon, and the weather here sucks major ass. It's rained for 2 1/2
>months.

That would just irritate me to no end; I'd rather deal with the heat.

>I hate it here. I can't imagine why anybody would move to Oregon
>on purpose.

So, why are you there?

Dr_Dickie

May 12, 2005, 6:33:42 AM5/12/05

"Mike" <M...@Mine.com> wrote in message

I get up at about 3:30 AM, feed the cats (you cannot avoid this step), then
hit the workout before 3:50 AM. I usually finish up about 4:45 AM. Prepare
coffee (mmmm, fresh ground, manual drip coffee), then prepare lunch for the
day, and finally breakfast at 5:10 AM.
Note, I did this schedule even when I was running (12 miles); although I
finished at a somewhat later time back then. Now on cardio days it is 45
minutes on the Stairmaster after a 10 minute warm-up.
It is just a matter of getting used to the routine.
--
Dr. Dickie
Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438

Hugh Beyer

May 12, 2005, 6:59:20 AM5/12/05
"Mike" <M...@Mine.com> wrote in news:d5um5e$231$1@mws-stat-
syd.cdn.telstra.com.au:

I almost always work out in the morning (5:30am, ack, pthooey). I prefer it,
tho I don't prefer getting up that early. I don't eat anything before.

FWIW, I'm also not affected by low-carbing at all so far as strength or
general happiness goes. It's possible that this is related to being able to
work out in a fasting state.

Hugh

--
Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will attend no other.

me

May 12, 2005, 7:26:08 AM5/12/05
On Thu, 12 May 2005 00:10:25 -0700, "Larry Hodges"
<2la...@2maximizesoftware2.com> wrote:

>I'm in Oregon, and the weather here sucks major ass. It's rained for 2 1/2
>months. I hate it here. I can't imagine why anybody would move to Oregon
>on purpose.

I don't even know where Oregon is. :-)
My American geography sucks.

jack

May 12, 2005, 8:49:30 AM5/12/05
I dont know much about liffting in the mornings but I do enjoy geting
some cardia and calastenics in. It just sets the pace for the rest of
the day. I also have to eat before I do anything other wise I will drag
and wont come anywere near my goal for the morning.

joanne

May 12, 2005, 11:59:52 AM5/12/05

Dr_Dickie wrote:
> I get up at about 3:30 AM, feed the cats (you cannot
> avoid this step)

What time do you get to sleep at night? Is it even dark outside yet?
(grin) Not much social life, late nite tv viewing, etc. for you! As for
me, I hit the pillow at about 9pm and get up at 5am to get to the gym
by 6am. Having two cats myself, I know what you mean about not being
able to avoid feeding them (LoL!) they are like clockwork and have an
evil way of tripping you up.

> then hit the workout before 3:50 AM. I usually finish up
> about 4:45 AM. Prepare coffee (mmmm, fresh ground, manual
> drip coffee), then prepare lunch for the day, and finally

> breakfast at 5:10 AM. <<snip>> It is just a matter of getting
> used to the routine.

Organization in the morning is important for me too. Awake by 5am, make
coffee first (priorities you know), feed cats,
bathroom/dressed/whatnot, coffee with or without a few breakfast bites,
gymtime for an hour (6am-7am), back home to shower/work clothes/make
lunch stuff if not made from last night, and into my work cubicle by
9am. I know if I didnt have the morning routine down to specific time
allotments, I wouldnt get it all done. I'm amazed at people who have to
add commuting to gym/work and still find the time to make working out a
priority in their busy lives. I have tried doing the afterwork gym time
and its just too easy to make excuses then. Too tired, too this too
that, or something more entertaining to do, the motivation just
disappears.

One comment about eating before and or after working out .. my
boyfriend used to workout on an empty stomach and occasionally would
get really nauseated midway thru his weight workout, plus have a lack
of energy. He began to have a coffee with say a slice of toast, or some
oatmeal before going to the gym and found that solved it. He also takes
a couple of scoops of protein powder in a shaker bottle, mixes it with
some water at the gym, and drinks it right after working out. Seems to
work well for him.

joanne

Dr_Dickie

May 12, 2005, 12:13:05 PM5/12/05

"joanne" <jgr...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Dr_Dickie wrote:
> > I get up at about 3:30 AM, feed the cats (you cannot
> > avoid this step)
>
> What time do you get to sleep at night?
Generally by 7:00PM or so.

>Is it even dark outside yet?

Nope.

> (grin) Not much social life,

I'm married ;-)

> late nite tv viewing, etc. for you!

Got a tivo and VCR

As for
> me, I hit the pillow at about 9pm and get up at 5am to get to the gym
> by 6am. Having two cats myself, I know what you mean about not being
> able to avoid feeding them (LoL!) they are like clockwork and have an

> evil way of tripping you up.>Snip<

> joanne

Very strange. I feed them, I love them (4 cats in all, they just show
up--some in worse shape than others), and yet the little calico, Lilly,
seems determined to kill me (sneaking up behind me and standing at the back
of my feet).
Then I feed a feral when I get work. You don't own cats, they own you.

Charles

May 12, 2005, 12:39:03 PM5/12/05

I wonder why they insist on always shitting in someone else's garden.
It would be nice if the reason is that they want to keep their owner's
garden clean, but the reality is that while they are shitting next
door, next door's cat is shitting in their owner's garden.

Net gain nil, except for non cat owning residents, who get shat upon
with no chance of getting even.

In my own situation, my dog's ensure that we remain 'cat and shat'
free, as it is a very brave cat indeed that attempts to unload in our
gardens!! ;o)

gman99

May 12, 2005, 12:46:11 PM5/12/05

That's sad...I hope to god you're not Canadian but your IP would
suggest otherwise. Portland is one of the most liveable cities in the
US...except for maybe the dreary weather.

Larry Hodges

May 12, 2005, 12:53:09 PM5/12/05

Grew up here. And my kids are here, and they are everything to me (19, 16,
13 and 11). I have the younger two on the weekends. So, it's move and be
without my kids, or stay with them. You can see I have no choice. :)
--
-Larry

Dr_Dickie

May 12, 2005, 1:14:17 PM5/12/05

"Charles" <cha...@msn.com> wrote in message snip>

> I wonder why they insist on always shitting in someone else's garden.
> It would be nice if the reason is that they want to keep their owner's
> garden clean, but the reality is that while they are shitting next
> door, next door's cat is shitting in their owner's garden.
>
> Net gain nil, except for non cat owning residents, who get shat upon
> with no chance of getting even.
>
> In my own situation, my dog's ensure that we remain 'cat and shat'
> free, as it is a very brave cat indeed that attempts to unload in our
> gardens!! ;o)

Must be a a U.K. thing.
My cats poop at home (and cats bury their business).
Then the neighbor's dog comes over, digs up and eats said planted cat
treats, and leaves behind steaming pile of his crap!
She is moving (finally).

Larry Hodges

May 12, 2005, 1:18:13 PM5/12/05

Portland is the hole in which I live. The economy sucks here (worst
unemployment in the US) and it rains for months and months and months at a
time. And the political climate is one of the most leftwing in the Country,
but then you may like that. However, that explains why the economy sucks.
--
-Larry

Charles

May 12, 2005, 1:41:35 PM5/12/05
On Thu, 12 May 2005 13:14:17 -0400, "Dr_Dickie"
<Dr_D...@chembench.com> wrote:

>"Charles" <cha...@msn.com> wrote in message snip>
>> I wonder why they insist on always shitting in someone else's garden.
>> It would be nice if the reason is that they want to keep their owner's
>> garden clean, but the reality is that while they are shitting next
>> door, next door's cat is shitting in their owner's garden.
>>
>> Net gain nil, except for non cat owning residents, who get shat upon
>> with no chance of getting even.
>>
>> In my own situation, my dog's ensure that we remain 'cat and shat'
>> free, as it is a very brave cat indeed that attempts to unload in our
>> gardens!! ;o)
>
>Must be a a U.K. thing.
>My cats poop at home (and cats bury their business).
>Then the neighbor's dog comes over, digs up and eats said planted cat
>treats, and leaves behind steaming pile of his crap!
>She is moving (finally).

That is probably as the result of open plan type development, which is
bereft of adequate fencing or walling, which would deter both dogs and
people. However, I defy anyone to keep out a determined cat, other
than by fear of the consequences.

I find it morally repugnant but many people resort to air guns to
shoot at the unfortunate felines, despite it being a crime. I would be
very afraid if those people had access to firearms.

me

May 12, 2005, 1:55:42 PM5/12/05
On 12 May 2005 09:46:11 -0700, "gman99" <gma...@canada.com> wrote:

>That's sad...I hope to god you're not Canadian

Yes I am Canadian and I know where Oregon is now.
Right under British Columbia. :-)

Dr_Dickie

May 12, 2005, 2:33:39 PM5/12/05

"me" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Did you guys take over Washington?

me

May 12, 2005, 2:40:32 PM5/12/05
On Thu, 12 May 2005 14:33:39 -0400, "Dr_Dickie"
<Dr_D...@chembench.com> wrote:

>Did you guys take over Washington?

Oops!! Did I goof!!

Apologies. :-)

Seth Breidbart

May 12, 2005, 3:50:38 PM5/12/05
In article <vo4781hahkikkdsm9...@4ax.com>,
Charles <cha...@msn.com> wrote:

>I find it morally repugnant but many people resort to air guns to
>shoot at the unfortunate felines, despite it being a crime.

Waterguns (loaded with just plain tapwater) work pretty well at
getting cats to exhibit learning behavior.

Seth
--
99% of the time, he is rude to the people who do in fact deserve
it. -- Will Brink

Charles

May 12, 2005, 5:41:51 PM5/12/05
On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:50:38 +0000 (UTC), se...@panix.com (Seth
Breidbart) wrote:

>In article <vo4781hahkikkdsm9...@4ax.com>,
>Charles <cha...@msn.com> wrote:
>
>>I find it morally repugnant but many people resort to air guns to
>>shoot at the unfortunate felines, despite it being a crime.
>
>Waterguns (loaded with just plain tapwater) work pretty well at
>getting cats to exhibit learning behavior.

Sounds like a better way.

Some people use odorised pellets while there are gadgets using sonic
emissions. I have no idea how effective they are.

Message has been deleted

Charles

May 12, 2005, 5:55:57 PM5/12/05
On 12 May 2005 21:48:23 GMT, DZ
<24041@2624331437.2713229893.7088.3169.31909> wrote:

>Charles <cha...@msn.com> wrote:

>>>Waterguns (loaded with just plain tapwater) work pretty well at
>>>getting cats to exhibit learning behavior.
>>
>> Sounds like a better way.
>

>Works on neighbor's kids too.

But there are likely to be repercussions, if not from the "kids" then
almost certainly from their fathers!! ;o)

Larry Hodges

May 12, 2005, 6:10:42 PM5/12/05
Seth Breidbart wrote:
> In article <vo4781hahkikkdsm9...@4ax.com>,
> Charles <cha...@msn.com> wrote:
>
>> I find it morally repugnant but many people resort to air guns to
>> shoot at the unfortunate felines, despite it being a crime.
>
> Waterguns (loaded with just plain tapwater) work pretty well at
> getting cats to exhibit learning behavior.
>
> Seth

lol, that reminds me of what my buddy did years ago. There was a
neighborhood cat that came and crapped in his yard everyday. He tried
chasing it off many times, but nothing worked...until the Feline Hydro
Relocation Program.

One day he waited for this cat. He caught it and placed it in a cage he had
on his back porch. Then he cracked a fresh beer, sat in his lawn chair and
proceeded hose it down with his garden hose and nozzle. He did it
continually for 15 minutes. Then he opened the door, the cat ejected and
looked like a torpedo across the lawn, and he never saw it again.

Problem solved!
--
-Larry

Charles

May 12, 2005, 6:16:51 PM5/12/05

<message from our sponsors>

No animals were hurt during this chosen method of aversion therapy for
careless cats a crapping!!

</message from our sponsors>

;o)

The BassRustler

May 13, 2005, 12:19:25 AM5/13/05
<Dr_D...@chembench.com> wrote:

>"Charles" <cha...@msn.com> wrote in message snip>
>> I wonder why they insist on always shitting in someone else's garden.
>> It would be nice if the reason is that they want to keep their owner's
>> garden clean, but the reality is that while they are shitting next
>> door, next door's cat is shitting in their owner's garden.
>>
>> Net gain nil, except for non cat owning residents, who get shat upon
>> with no chance of getting even.
>>
>> In my own situation, my dog's ensure that we remain 'cat and shat'
>> free, as it is a very brave cat indeed that attempts to unload in our
>> gardens!! ;o)
>
>Must be a a U.K. thing.
>My cats poop at home (and cats bury their business).
>Then the neighbor's dog comes over, digs up and eats said planted cat
>treats, and leaves behind steaming pile of his crap!
>She is moving (finally).

One or two of my neighbors cats, he has 4 were shitting in my flower
bed on a nightly basis. This flower bed is directly under my kitchen
window that stays open due to the breeze. The smell is absolutely
heinous..... I told this freak neighbor, he's got to do something
with his cats... I dont like them, dont want them in my yard, and
definately dont want them shitting in my flower bed .. I know its
their cats as I had seen them several times. I've popped the black
and white one twice with a barbell collar and the stupid thing still
comes back in the yard..
I have on several ocasions shoveld the shit up and deposited it on his
driveway ... no results..............
Went to Home Depot and bought a dozen mouse traps ...
I set them out .... all 12 in a 10'x3' flower bed ...
the next morning ... ALL are tripped ... 3 are gone and I've not seen
another cat shit in my yard since ....

my .02

gn

If you are in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Hershel Davis USN Ret.

Fraser Johnston

May 13, 2005, 2:34:52 AM5/13/05

"Mike" <M...@Mine.com> wrote in message
> In the past I have lifted after work and then follow it up with some
> dinner
> and relax for the evening. I may need to start lifting early morning
> before
> work. Do those of you who work out in the morning eat something first and
> wake up a bit or just get into it? I'm sure it's just a matter of the body
> getting used to a new routine but I found I felt very flat trying to lift
> before breakfast this morning.

I work out between 7 and 8am as it is the only time I have to do it. I eat
a small breakfast at 6am and get my shit together and go to the gym. I am
NOT a morning person but I always feel good after my morning session.
Getting out of bed and getting there is the hard part.

Fraser

me

May 13, 2005, 9:37:54 AM5/13/05
On Fri, 13 May 2005 14:34:52 +0800, "Fraser Johnston"
<fra...@jcis.com.au> wrote:

>Getting out of bed and getting there is the hard part.

That is going to be the hardest part for me, especially on the
rainy/snowy days when I have to stand outside waiting for a bus.

Dice

May 13, 2005, 11:51:17 AM5/13/05
>From what I have learned, most people are more successful with the
cardio portion than with the weights portion in the morning, especially
if they are working out before breakfast. Usually, if you do cardio in
the fasting stage, you should burn off more fat because your body has
no carbs to use for energy. On the other hand, if you try to work with
weights on an empty stomach, your body is trying to work through the
routine with no carbs to use as energy and this could make you feel
somewhat weaker. I guess it would be the same no matter what time of
day you did it. It would mostly depend on whether your stomach was
empty or not. Again, this is how I understand it.

joanne

May 13, 2005, 11:58:28 AM5/13/05

The BassRustler wrote:
> the next morning ... ALL are tripped ... 3 are gone and I've not seen
> another cat shit in my yard since ....

Cats are smart. Aversion therapy' works on them but dumb dogs are
another thing. Altho the water gun or hose might be a good idea to use
on our free running (or should I say freecrapping, like
clockwork)neighbor dogs now that its warmed up enough here in Tahoe. We
are ready to use the bb gun and ping them (works on the garbage eating
bears we get up here) but maybe we'll try the water technique first.
I should say we are responsible owners of two dogs, two cats. The dogs
are contained on an upper deck of our house and the cats are indoors
only (otherwise they are coyote food outside). The neighborhood dogs
run around loose(because they always have, as the neighbor said when
asked to leash them; he was shocked I would ask such a thing) and are
regularly barked at while they crap in our yard or adjoining empty lots
on either side of our house. People also walk their dogs down this way
too (off leash I might add) on their way to a meadow area, kids play
with their dogs chasing tennis balls, that purposely thrown into our
yard to get the dogs barking, and on and on examples. On any given day
I can count over ten free running dogs, some known and some stray, in
our neighborhood. Then another neighbor complains that our dogs are
barking too much and the anmal control person comes out and tells us we
will get cited if we dont 'do something' about our dogs barking. They
dont bark incessantly - they only bark when some other dog or person is
on their turf. I told him if he actually did his job and picked up all
the loose or stray dogs, then there wouldnt be a problem! I havent seen
him in this area since that conversation.

joanne

Delenn

May 13, 2005, 12:28:28 PM5/13/05

Think this one through a bit. Visualize how you can make this
successful. Do you work out at a different time? Buy a warmer coat?
Find a workout for rainy indoor days (an aerobics tape and step bench
come to mind)... this problem WILL come up. How are you going to handle
it?

Assume "willpowering through it" won't work as well as you'd like it to.

Delenn

David Cohen

May 13, 2005, 2:51:30 PM5/13/05

"joanne" <jgr...@yahoo.com> wrote

> Cats are smart. Aversion therapy' works on them but dumb dogs are
> another thing.

Sheba said to tell you "RUFF grrrrr arf arf arf grrrrr", which roughly
translates to, "Considering the source, I'll take that as a compliment".

David
who thinks cats AND dogs are a lot smarter that <<joni>>

NYC XYZ

May 13, 2005, 3:15:15 PM5/13/05

Mike wrote:
> In the past I have lifted after work and then follow it up with some
dinner
> and relax for the evening. I may need to start lifting early morning
before
> work. Do those of you who work out in the morning eat something first
and
> wake up a bit or just get into it? I'm sure it's just a matter of the
body
> getting used to a new routine but I found I felt very flat trying to
lift
> before breakfast this morning.
>
> Any tips?
>
> Cheers
>
> Mike

The body's supposed to be warmest and all during the late afternoon,
but if you must workout in the morning, do not eat first (except a
piece of fruit). Though I am able to work out after a "real meal,"
most find it nauesating. Also, I understand that the blood's too busy
with digestion after a meal....

Your body shouldn't feel "very flat" no matter the time of day or night
***IF*** it's properly rested, though. You also note that there's a
psychological component to your feelings which factor in -- greatly, I
think.

me

May 13, 2005, 3:21:12 PM5/13/05
On 13 May 2005 08:58:28 -0700, "joanne" <jgr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I told him if he actually did his job and picked up all
>the loose or stray dogs, then there wouldnt be a problem! I havent seen
>him in this area since that conversation.

You can always pick up the dogs yourself, provided you can catch them,
and bring them in as well. If the owner wants them back then the owner
has to pay to get them out. A few times of that and they will secure
thier dogs.

me

May 13, 2005, 3:24:33 PM5/13/05
On Fri, 13 May 2005 12:28:28 -0400, Delenn <Del...@whoever.com> wrote:

>Think this one through a bit. Visualize how you can make this
>successful. Do you work out at a different time? Buy a warmer coat?
>Find a workout for rainy indoor days (an aerobics tape and step bench
>come to mind)... this problem WILL come up. How are you going to handle
>it?
>
>Assume "willpowering through it" won't work as well as you'd like it to.

I have been thinking about getting a step bench or an exercise bike
for days like I described. I priced some at Walmart the other day.

It isn't too bad now that it is warming up. I can handle rainy days
then but once it gets cold again come this fall I will need a backup
plan for bad weather days.

Larry Hodges

May 13, 2005, 4:53:16 PM5/13/05

:)
--
-Larry

Seth Breidbart

May 13, 2005, 8:42:54 PM5/13/05
In article <27676@3164032443.2308820943.14994.26124.31636>,

DZ <24041@2624331437.2713229893.7088.3169.31909> wrote:
>Charles <cha...@msn.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>Waterguns (loaded with just plain tapwater) work pretty well at
>>>getting cats to exhibit learning behavior.
>>
>> Sounds like a better way.
>
>Works on neighbor's kids too.

Yeah, but the kids will like it and fight back with water balloons.

Ask any ex-kid.

Seth
--
Wow! This math stuff works. -- Tom Morley

Gooserider

May 13, 2005, 9:42:43 PM5/13/05
I tried working out after work, but I always found some BS excuse to blow it
off. Too tired, stuff to do, something like that. Now I work out at 5:30,
and I don't miss workouts. I figure I'm already up, so I may as well do it.
I eat a light breakfast before, like a small bowl of cereal. I also bicycle
commute, so some days I get an hour of cardio in before and after work.

Fraser Johnston

May 17, 2005, 1:04:26 AM5/17/05

"me" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message

I just tell myself "You don't have to like it, you just have to do it."

Fraser

Ryan Case

May 17, 2005, 2:15:54 PM5/17/05
Seth Breidbart wrote:

> In article <vo4781hahkikkdsm9...@4ax.com>,
> Charles <cha...@msn.com> wrote:
>

>>I find it morally repugnant but many people resort to air guns to
>>shoot at the unfortunate felines, despite it being a crime.
>

> Waterguns (loaded with just plain tapwater) work pretty well at
> getting cats to exhibit learning behavior.
>
> Seth

</lurk>

I used to use a paintball gun dialed down to the lowest setting that
would still break a paintball on impact. Of course this was a particular
neighbor's dog that was causing havok with mine. Should have seen the
look on the guys face when he came down to question me about it. My only
response to him was, "do you *really* think I went down the road and
painted your dog over *your* fence in *your* backyard?" That ended the
conversation and the visits by his dog.

Ryan

<lurk>

--

M.F.W. Maniacs.Freaks.Weirdos, and what of it?

Lee Michaels

May 17, 2005, 2:26:42 PM5/17/05

"Ryan Case" wrote

We had neighbors who let their dog jump over the fence into our back yard to
terrorize our dog and eat her food. We talked to them again and again. We
called animal control on them. Nothing worked.

A friend came over with some big M-80 firecrackers. I lit one and threw it
out there to see if it would scare off the trespassing dog. This dumb dog
decides to run over to the big firecracker to sniff it. It went off in its
face. It yelped in pain, ran and jumped over the fence. He never came back.

Larry Hodges

May 17, 2005, 3:23:46 PM5/17/05
Lee Michaels wrote:
> "Ryan Case" wrote
>
>> Seth Breidbart wrote:

>>> Waterguns (loaded with just plain tapwater) work pretty well at
>>> getting cats to exhibit learning behavior.
>>>
>>> Seth
>> </lurk>
>>
>> I used to use a paintball gun dialed down to the lowest setting that
>> would still break a paintball on impact. Of course this was a
>> particular neighbor's dog that was causing havok with mine. Should
>> have seen the look on the guys face when he came down to question me
>> about it. My only response to him was, "do you *really* think I went
>> down the road and painted your dog over *your* fence in *your*
>> backyard?" That ended the conversation and the visits by his dog.
>>
>> Ryan
>>

> We had neighbors who let their dog jump over the fence into our back
> yard to terrorize our dog and eat her food. We talked to them again
> and again. We called animal control on them. Nothing worked.

Dude, this surprises me. Why didn't you just tell them "if your dog jumps
the fence again, I'll shoot it"? Then, if it does...shoot it. I've shot
several dogs through the years that were causing problems. Think of it as
your civic duty.

> A friend came over with some big M-80 firecrackers. I lit one and
> threw it out there to see if it would scare off the trespassing dog.
> This dumb dog decides to run over to the big firecracker to sniff it.
> It went off in its face. It yelped in pain, ran and jumped over the
> fence. He never came back.

That works too.
--
-Larry

Larry Hodges

May 17, 2005, 3:51:44 PM5/17/05
joanne wrote:
> The BassRustler wrote:
>> the next morning ... ALL are tripped ... 3 are gone and I've not seen
>> another cat shit in my yard since ....
>
> Cats are smart. Aversion therapy' works on them but dumb dogs are
> another thing.

snip....

> joanne

You *must* be a Liberal with logic like that. You have to work hard to be
that wrong.
--
-Larry

me

May 18, 2005, 9:28:16 PM5/18/05
On Tue, 17 May 2005 13:04:26 +0800, "Fraser Johnston"
<fra...@jcis.com.au> wrote:

>I just tell myself "You don't have to like it, you just have to do it."

Good point. I will keep that in mind. :-)