deadlift bad for back

Neil

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
Matt has mentioned the deadlift as an important part of a
workout routine, and it does seem like an excellent exercise.
It seems that such a lift would be bad for your back, especially
if conducted on a regular basis. Is it bad for your back?

Matt Madsen

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99

Working your back regularly is NOT bad for it. Modern Americans
have bad backs precisely because they do not use them. Sitting
at a desk is bad for your back.

That said, if you're just starting training, be very careful with
a lift like the deadlift. If you round your back *BAM* you pull
something. Don't get macho about it. Just try to move through
the range of motion with a light weight until it feels natural
and easy.

Then add weight.

Once you've built up your back, it's much more "bulletproof" than
before.

Matt Madsen

jak

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99

Neil wrote in message <37b99...@news.pacifier.com>...

>It seems that such a lift would be bad for your back, especially
>if conducted on a regular basis. Is it bad for your back?

Deadlifts done with proper form and progressive increases in resistance are
excellent strengthening and stabilizing back muscles. Obviously, if you've
never done them before, don't start out lifting 300 lbs. When you're first
learning them, have someone observe you to ensure that you maintain the
proper lumbar angle. Once you train these lifting muscles, the chances of
injuring your back moving the neighbor's sofa diminshes considerably.

JAK

Halotech

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
Proper technique is critical here.
This is why this deadlifts are usually a a veteran lifters domain.

Neil <ne...@pacifier.com> wrote:

>Matt has mentioned the deadlift as an important part of a
>workout routine, and it does seem like an excellent exercise.

John Ongtooguk

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
Neil (ne...@pacifier.com) wrote:
: Matt has mentioned the deadlift as an important part of a
: workout routine, and it does seem like an excellent exercise.
: It seems that such a lift would be bad for your back, especially
: if conducted on a regular basis. Is it bad for your back?

The conventional deadlift is probably the most practical lift
that one could do and one of the most beneficial if done with
good form and common sense. People do deadlifts all the time
whether they know it or not, so it makes sense to learn how to
do it right.

John Ongtooguk (jo...@vcd.hp.com)

Matthew Hunt

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
it nearly breaks my lower back - not really - it just makes the lower small
back muscles EXTREMELELY sore the first few times you do it. still gives me
a bit of trouble. I would imagine that the strength gained from this
exercise would improve your back, not damage it, as long as you use proper
form.
Neil <ne...@pacifier.com> wrote in message

Ian & Sue Palmer

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
Maybe I can offer a version of the deadlift that we use in BodyPump, it is
designed to make it more suitable to the starter athlete.
The knees are at 20 degrees of flexion to keep the weight more into the
Gluteal muscles and the bar is lowered down to the lower end of the knee
cap. I thought that you may find this a good way to start out if you have
not previously been engaging in weight training.

Sue Karratha Western Australia.
Reg. Fitness Leader \ Body Pump Instructor.

Larry DeLuca, EdM, CSCS

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
In article <7pc6lg$5...@dfw-ixnews14.ix.netcom.com>,

Matt Madsen <mma...@netcom.com> wrote:
>In article <37b99...@news.pacifier.com>, Neil <ne...@pacifier.com> wrote:
>>Matt has mentioned the deadlift as an important part of a
>>workout routine, and it does seem like an excellent exercise.
>>It seems that such a lift would be bad for your back, especially
>>if conducted on a regular basis. Is it bad for your back?
>
>Working your back regularly is NOT bad for it. Modern Americans
>have bad backs precisely because they do not use them. Sitting
>at a desk is bad for your back.

While I'm with Matt in theory on this one, it's also important to consider
that backs come in more than two flavors ("good" and "bad"). There are
lots of different pathologies that cause people to describe themselves
as having a "bad back," and the particular problem that the person has
will to a large extent determine their limitations.

Also, it's important to consider how muscles and joints are used during
an exercise, and whether or not this is the effect you're looking for (i.e.,
a lot of whether an exercise is good or bad depends not just on the
exercise but on the goals of the exerciser).

For example, a stiff-legged deadlift might be very appropriate for a nurse,
whose job involves lifting and stabilizing while flexed from the hips.
It might not be at all appropriate for someone with arthritic changes in the
spine, because of the tremendous joint compression forces involved
in stabilizing the spine when the weight is applied.

To determine whether or not the exercise is appropriate for you, ask
yourself a couple of quetions:

* WHY are you doing this exercise? (i.e., what is your goal)?

* What limitations do you have (eg., prior injuries)?

* How will THIS exercise help you meet your goal? (i.e., is
it appropriate to your aims)

* Is there ANOTHER exercise that has a lower risk of injury that
will accomplish the same goal for you? (not all exercises
are created equal)

* What carryover does this particular activity have to YOUR
life and activities? (i.e., is it functional in some way)

There are lots of issues involved in designing an appropriate exercise program
besides just hitting the major muscle groups. Just because the guy
standing next to you in the gym has big muscles and does a particular
exercise does not mean that a) it's the best or the only way to get big or
that b) his goals have any relationship to yours at all. Many people succeed
not because of their program, but in spite of it. Sometimes they also
suffer in the long term because they didn't make the best exercise
choices in the short term. What's right for a dancer or a weightlifter
or an olympic gymnast may not be right for someone looking to lose
10 pounds before next spring.

For every exercise (including the deadlift) there are risks and benefits.
The biggest risks with the deadlift are improper form, too much weight,
trying to progress too soon, and poor instruction/spotting. All of
these things can predispose you to injury. The biggest advantages are
that it's an excellent exercise for torso stabilization if properly
taught, that it can teach the exerciser a lot about their kinesthetic
awareness, and that it can have great carryover into other life
activities (as in the example of the nurse). Other considerations also
include prior injury history and overall back health. For some back
conditions (such as a muscle strain) deadlifts may be great. For others,
such as spondylosis, they may be just the opposite.

Consider all the factors before deciding if the exercise is right for you.

larry...

Larry DeLuca, EdM, CSCS

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
In article <7pcetq$6n3$1...@news.vcd.hp.com>,
John Ongtooguk <jo...@vcd.hp.com> wrote:

>Neil (ne...@pacifier.com) wrote:
>: Matt has mentioned the deadlift as an important part of a
>: workout routine, and it does seem like an excellent exercise.
>: It seems that such a lift would be bad for your back, especially
>: if conducted on a regular basis. Is it bad for your back?
>
> The conventional deadlift is probably the most practical lift
> that one could do and one of the most beneficial if done with
> good form and common sense. People do deadlifts all the time
> whether they know it or not, so it makes sense to learn how to
> do it right.
>
> John Ongtooguk (jo...@vcd.hp.com)

I completely agree here, but I think Matt was referring to stiff-legged
deadlifts, which while a useful exercise for many people have a more questionable
functional carryover.

Bryan Holladay

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
Ian & Sue Palmer <ijsep...@kisser.net.au> wrote in message

> Maybe I can offer a version of the deadlift that we use in BodyPump, it is
> designed to make it more suitable to the starter athlete.
> The knees are at 20 degrees of flexion to keep the weight more into the
> Gluteal muscles and the bar is lowered down to the lower end of the knee
> cap.

Romanian Deadlift - can be done in a squat rack by setting the pins just
below knee level.

Matt Madsen

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
In article <7pd4sk$j6a$1...@news.fas.harvard.edu>,

Larry DeLuca, EdM, CSCS <henrik...@fas.nospam.harvard.edu> wrote:
>I completely agree here, but I think Matt was referring to stiff-legged
>deadlifts, which while a useful exercise for many people have a more
>questionable functional carryover.

I heartily recommend both versions, regular deadlifts and stiff-legged
deadlifts, but regular deadlifts are definitely more functional -- and
they're a much more natural movement for most people. Stiff-legged
deadlifts often feel awkward to new lifters, and almost everyone tries
to take the range of motion too far for their flexibility -- so they
start rounding their back and asking for an injury.

Matt Madsen

Matt Madsen

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
In article <7pcrvp$44q$1...@nntp9.atl.mindspring.net>,

Matthew Hunt <buck...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>it nearly breaks my lower back - not really - it just makes the lower small
>back muscles EXTREMELELY sore the first few times you do it. still gives me
>a bit of trouble. I would imagine that the strength gained from this
>exercise would improve your back, not damage it, as long as you use proper
>form.

It sounds like you need to work on your flexibility and form with a
lighter weight until everything "catches up". The weak link in the
chain might break if you use enough resistance to challenge the
stronger links.

Matt Madsen

John Ongtooguk

Aug 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/24/99
Matt Madsen (mma...@netcom.com) wrote:

: Matthew Hunt <buck...@mindspring.com> wrote:
: >it nearly breaks my lower back - not really - it just makes the lower small
: >back muscles EXTREMELELY sore the first few times you do it. still gives me
: >a bit of trouble. I would imagine that the strength gained from this
: >exercise would improve your back, not damage it, as long as you use proper
: >form.

: It sounds like you need to work on your flexibility and form with a
: lighter weight until everything "catches up". The weak link in the
: chain might break if you use enough resistance to challenge the
: stronger links.

Another to reason to take it light for awhile is for the connective
tissue to develop, which does so more slowly than muscle. I agree
about the flexibility though as often when my back feels sore I
need to often just stretch my hamstrings, but light lower body
stretches in general do wonders.

John Ongtooguk (jo...@vcd.hp.com)