Re: Random Star Wars Questions

Howard

Dec 16, 2015, 8:37:54 AM12/16/15
ebenZ...@verizon.net (Hactar) wrote in news:6ec7kc-...@pc.home:

> Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote:
>> Howard <howr...@htmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Did they ever explain how people understood all of the bleeps and
>> >bloops of the robots and the growls of the wookies? Did they have
>> >some kind of translating device or Babelfish, or did Star Wars
>> >people all know a ton of languages?
>>
>> C-3PO was a protocol droid. Part of his programming was some insane
>> number of languages. Does anyone understand R2 without 3PO
>> translating?
>
> Doesn't Luke talk with him in Sky City?

I'm pretty sure Luke talks with him on his home planet and little Anakin
does too. Although in retrospect, it's possible that it's the way Timmy
and Lassie have a dialogue, where Timmy talks about how much he misses his
family and Lassie's contribution of wagging tail, whimpers and barks
disguises thoughts like "if I knew how to get away with it, I'd bite you."

Hactar

Dec 16, 2015, 12:08:24 PM12/16/15
In article <8078kc-...@porter.pffcu.org>,
S. Checker <spa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Howard <howr...@htmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thinking back on the older movies, was there ever an explanation for why
> > there were so many sort of WWI or II style infantry battles, besides
> > that they looked cool? I'm thinking of the battle on the snow planet,
> > the one with Jar Jar Binks and even the Jedi-killing ones. I assume the
> > bad guys wouldn't have any moral qualms about carpetbombing or napalming
> > the hell out of the good guys, or even using nuclear weapons, but it
> > seems like they all involve slowly closing in firing guns.
>
> On the snow planet the target of the ground forces was the shield
> generator, I think, that kept the Empire from bombing the base from
> orbit. Although the whole series was basically a remake of WWII movies
> so any justification is going to be largely retroactive. The
> assumption, I think, is that at some point your long-range weapons
> aren't going to be able to target closely enough or dig deep enough and
> then you send in the Marines.
>
> > Did they ever explain how people understood all of the bleeps and bloops
> > of the robots and the growls of the wookies? Did they have some kind of
> > translating device or Babelfish, or did Star Wars people all know a ton
> > of languages?
>
> C3PO translated for R2D2 at some points, like early in the first movie,
> but it was pretty clear that Luke could understand it by the middle of
> the series. R2D2 clearly could understand human languages, too, so Luke
> didn't have to beep back at him. Han Solo understood Wookie evidently as
> well as whatever language the late Greedo used. I can't remember who
> did or didn't speak Huttese but of course he did have a need for a
> translator.

I'm pretty sure Han and Jabba communicated too.

--
-eben QebWe...@vTerYizUonI.nOetP ebmanda.redirectme.net:81
LIBRA: A big promotion is just around the corner for someone

S. Checker

Dec 16, 2015, 4:00:07 PM12/16/15
In alt.fan.cecil-adams Hactar <ebenZ...@verizon.net> wrote:
> S. Checker <spa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> C3PO translated for R2D2 at some points, like early in the first movie,
>> but it was pretty clear that Luke could understand it by the middle of
>> the series. R2D2 clearly could understand human languages, too, so Luke
>> didn't have to beep back at him. Han Solo understood Wookie evidently as
>> well as whatever language the late Greedo used. I can't remember who
>> did or didn't speak Huttese but of course he did have a need for a
>> translator.
>
> I'm pretty sure Han and Jabba communicated too.

So the pretty flyboy actually had a talent for languages then. Although
now I think of it, he didn't speak Greedo-ese to Greedo either - he
understood him but he spoke back in English. We can retcon this until
the banthas come home, but basically I think they all spoke the main
language of moviedom, Convenience.

Looking on the Web it looks like Greedo's language was actually
simplified Quechua, the Ewok's language may have been based on Tibetan.
But it doesn't look like anyone went all Trekkie and formalized the
grammar and vocabulary.
--
Two large Jackalope breeding operations in Eastern Colorado were shifted
to the cross-breeding of "'roos", a quaint genetic steroid-pumped

Questor

Apr 19, 2018, 4:04:11 AM4/19/18
On Wed, 16 Dec 2015 15:17:10 -0500, spa...@gmail.com (S. Checker) wrote:
>In alt.fan.cecil-adams Hactar <ebenZ...@verizon.net> wrote:
>> S. Checker <spa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> C3PO translated for R2D2 at some points, like early in the first movie,
>>> but it was pretty clear that Luke could understand it by the middle of
>>> the series. R2D2 clearly could understand human languages, too, so Luke
>>> didn't have to beep back at him. Han Solo understood Wookie evidently as
>>> well as whatever language the late Greedo used. I can't remember who
>>> did or didn't speak Huttese but of course he did have a need for a
>>> translator.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure Han and Jabba communicated too.
>
>So the pretty flyboy actually had a talent for languages then.

It's a platitude that Europeans are better at languages because they
have to be. With all the intelligent aliens ricocheting around the
Star Wars universe, one would expect any seasoned spaceship jockey
to have some proficiency in cross-species communication.

>We can retcon this until
>the banthas come home, but basically I think they all spoke the main
>language of moviedom, Convenience.

AKA "galactic standard," "the common speech," etc. A notion found in a lot of
sci-fi and fantasy literature.

bingo jones

Aug 29, 2023, 6:53:08 AM8/29/23
hey niggers! jews! you are hated everywhere!!!!