"More soon"

José Antonio García García

May 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/27/98

I´ve been told that "more soon" is used meaning "see you.." . I
have never heard it before and ,on the other hand, the person who has
told me is not very good at English and it may be an invention. Does it
really exist? Thank you.

Toni García

Thomas Nixon

May 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/30/98

You're right. At least in American English the two phrases do not have the
same meaning.

Tom Nixon

--
Thinking about teaching English overseas?
http://www.TeachEFL.com

Bill Franke

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98
to jaga...@correo.cop.es

Thomas Nixon wrote:

> José Antonio García García wrote:
>
> > I´ve been told that "more soon" is used meaning "see you.." . I
> > have never heard it before and ,on the other hand, the person who has
> > told me is not very good at English and it may be an invention. Does it
> > really exist? Thank you.

"More soon" is what, for example, a TV or radio broadcaster
would say when temporarily signing off for a station break
or because s/he's run out of material on a particular
ongoing subject, e.g., a currently breaking story. It does
include the idea "see you later with more information", but
it is a specialized phrase and not something you'll here in
normal conversation. It cannot be replaced with "see you",
as Mr. Nixon says.

Vernon Wright

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

José Antonio García García wrote:

> I´ve been told that "more soon" is used meaning "see you.." ...

I have seen "more soon" used to sign off a letter, where the writer
was in the middle of relating a long story and either he wanted to
catch the post or the story had not yet ended.

Best regards,

Vernon

To reply by e-mail: remove .com; then arrange the
remainder of the address in reverse order.

Philip Benz

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

José Antonio García García sez:
<< I´ve been told that "more soon" is used meaning "see you.." >>

I have used "more soon" to close email, meaning "I will be sending you
more (information) soon" or some such. In an informal context this
expression could close any letter, though I rather suspect it is an
americanism #shudder#.

Cheers, --- Phil

antonio...@gmail.com

Jul 10, 2020, 7:38:34 AM7/10/20