An Entomological and Etymological Haiku

mimus99

Jan 7, 2017, 12:03:29 PM1/7/17

The pupa studies
In pupation to become
Butterfly or wasp.

--
Classic anthropomorphization / entomomorphization.

Contrarian

Feb 9, 2017, 3:00:09 AM2/9/17
In alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk mimus99 <mim...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The pupa studies
> In pupation to become
> Butterfly or wasp.

I didn't realize they had a choice.

on boredpanda.* there was a post on "surprising" stuff.

apparently whatever passes for an insect brain can "learn"

during pupation. tucked withing the goo is it's little

brain

mimus99

Feb 13, 2017, 1:01:48 PM2/13/17
On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 07:52:13 +0000 (UTC), Contrarian wrote:

> In alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk mimus99 <mim...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The pupa studies
>> In pupation to become
>> Butterfly or wasp.
>
> I didn't realize they had a choice.

Neither do we. Elementary school, high school, remember?

> on boredpanda.* there was a post on "surprising" stuff.
> apparently whatever passes for an insect brain can "learn"
> during pupation. tucked withing the goo is it's little
> brain

They have brains. I'm leery of wetas and praying mantises. And hive-brains.

Birds learn while in the egg too. Some do, anyway. Their mother's calls.

--

I didn't see this post before. Hmf.