In-house visit by a "Rainbow vacuum" salesperson

Ignoramus32056

Apr 27, 2007, 12:27:13 PM4/27/07
We had a visit by a saleswoman who was trying to sell us a $2,000
"Rainbow cleaning system". For just listening, we received a gift of
some bed sheet and also a "gift travel certificate" from a company
called "Certs, Inc". (which is a florida based travel gifts company
that does not make me very excited)

http://www.rainbowsystem.com/

What this thing is, it seems, is a 25k RPM impeller sitting on top of
a Lexan bowl filled with water. The impeller sucks air in, makes it
whirl in a way that it makes contact with water and sheds the dust and
other stuff into water.

There is no filter, like on conventional vacuums that trap particles
into a filter. Water acts as a filter.

The machine was supposedly "1.9 HP", however, when measured with my
Kill-A-Watt power meter, it registered only 850 watts consumed from
the wall outlet, so it could not be more than 1 HP. OK, we all know
that everyone is lying about HP these days. No biggie. If it was 1.9
HP, it would trip the breakers all the time.

As a side comment, what we have now is a Sears Kenmore upright vacuum
that is a real beast, it uses about 13 amps and has a HEPA filter.

Then the saleswoman proceeded to make various points, which I may not
remember all or in correct order, but I will mention a few.

1. Vacuum cleaners do not pick up sand from carpets/rugs, well.
No comment on my part.

2. After just 15 minutes of use, due to dust getting into the fine
mesh of the vacuum's filter, the "air flow" diminishes due to dust
blocking the little pores. So a vacuum cleaner is not usable.

This was a total lie, as was easy to demonstrate with my vacuum which
has its bag 2/3 full already. It still sucked well and produced a lot
of suction and air flow.

3. Vacuums blow dust around and increase amount of dust.

I cannot say that it is false, for sure, but the 2.3 full bag in our
vacuum attests that it traps at least some dust. Plus, it does have a
HEPA filter.

She did some acrobatics by taking out the HEPA filter, which had some
dust on the back, kind of mashed it in her hands a little and put
back, -- then when the vacuum turned on, a lot of dust was indeed
blown out.

4. Then there were some demonstrations that Rainbow would still pick
up dust after vacuuming with a Sears vacuum, which could possibly be
true but I think that she cheated a bit by going outside the area that
I actually vacuumed, a bit -- it is kind of hard to tell, I think so
but my spouse is not so sure.

5. She made some claims about infections that her system prevented,
which went somewhat over my head but overall I was not sure if it was
not complete bunk.

We did not purchase this system in the end, but I wanted to hear some
opinions on this stuff.

yourname

Apr 27, 2007, 12:45:02 PM4/27/07
I sold them briefly over 25 years ago. they are a good product that is
overpriced with a scam of a marketing system. I starved for a few weeks
then got a job

Lessee.

I want to talk to you today about air pollution, not outdoor air
pollution, but indoor air pollution......

Jim Stewart

Apr 27, 2007, 1:04:22 PM4/27/07
Ignoramus32056 wrote:
> We had a visit by a saleswoman who was trying to sell us a $2,000
> "Rainbow cleaning system". For just listening, we received a gift of
> some bed sheet and also a "gift travel certificate" from a company
> called "Certs, Inc". (which is a florida based travel gifts company
> that does not make me very excited)

A "cult" vacuum cleaner like a Kirby.
They've been around for ages.

Some people love them. I had a housemate
years ago. She was a professional janitor/
housecleaner and she swore by them. I
couldn't imagine dealing with the water
bowl everytime I'd use it.

Like the Kirby, if you want one, you can
usually pick one up on ebay for about 1/3
the door-to-door price.

Nick Mueller

Apr 27, 2007, 1:29:58 PM4/27/07
Ignoramus32056 wrote:

> We had a visit by a saleswoman who was trying to sell us a $2,000 ...

Igiot, he should have sold you some brain. Then you could have figured out
that you made just another posting not belonging to crafts.metalworking.

Nick

co_f...@yahoo.com

Apr 27, 2007, 1:54:50 PM4/27/07
"Our youngest son tried selling them years ago as his first sales job.
Learned a lot! Had to sell a minimum of 5 a month, I think, in order
to get any commission. He sold 4, including one to his Grandparents.
He practiced his sales pitch on us, but we didn't buy. Yes, they work
and work really well, but hauling the bowl of black water to the
toilet at the end of a job didn't strike me as very desirable. He quit
after 4 sales, having learned same valuable lessons, particularly how
scams work.

By the way, the Grandparents let theirs set for months with water
still in it and next time they went to use it, the motor was rusted
tight. There, some actual metal content!

Paul

Roger Shoaf

Apr 27, 2007, 2:20:58 PM4/27/07
I recall someone trying to sell me a Kirby. I gave him an entry mat that
had a rubber back and a short nap and asked him to take his Kirby and suck
away until he thought the rug was clean.

When he stopped I turned the mat upside down and ran my old beater rescued
from a dumpster Hoover over the rubber backing. The beater bars were the
only thing doing anything banging the back of the rubber, and when I stopped
and flipped the carpet right side up there was a bunch of dirt that had
migrated out from the nap of the carpet.

I said "Look at all the dirt the Kirby left behind! I don't thing that guy
was a vacuum cleaner salesman long after that.

--
Roger Shoaf

"Ignoramus32056" <ignoram...@NOSPAM.32056.invalid> wrote in message

ed

Apr 27, 2007, 2:25:14 PM4/27/07
True story -
My uncle was a door-to-door vac salesman during the great depression.
My father was out of work and so my uncle offered to train him. This
was in the days when door-to-door salesmen would literally stick their
foot in the doorway to keep the homeowner from slamming the door
shut.

Anyway, the routine was to start the demo before the homeowner could
say no. They would take a small bag of dirt, throw it on the carpet,
and demonstrate how well the vac picked it up.

My dad, finally ready to go it alone, went into a house in a rural
area while my uncle waited in the car. Too much time had passed so my
uncle went to the door to check how the demo was going. He found my
dad sweeping up the dirt with a broom.

"What's the matter with the vac?" "The vac is fine - this lady's
house has no electricity!"

Ed

Leo Lichtman

Apr 27, 2007, 2:48:34 PM4/27/07

"Ignoramus32056" wrote: (clip) 4. Then there were some demonstrations that
Rainbow would still pick up dust after vacuuming with a Sears vacuum, (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is an old trick. Chances are that ANY vacuum cleaner will pick up SOME
dust after any other vacuum cleaner. This might be hard to demonstrate with
your Sears, because the dust goes into a bag, where it is hard to find. But
I'll bet the demo machine would pick up more dust after itself.

I used to see this method used to sell press wash to printers. Wash up the
press with what you're using now. Then we'll wash it up with this
"super-duper" press wash, and you'll see that we got off some ink that your
stuff wouldn't touch.

Roger Shoaf

Apr 27, 2007, 3:02:37 PM4/27/07

"Leo Lichtman" <l.lic...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> I used to see this method used to sell press wash to printers. Wash up
the
> press with what you're using now. Then we'll wash it up with this
> "super-duper" press wash, and you'll see that we got off some ink that
your
> stuff wouldn't touch.

A similar sales ploy was for a brand of salt that was mined rather than sea
salt. The salesman would start his speial about how the pure salt was taken
from deep in underground mines whereas the sea salt was salt water left in
big ponds to evaporate with all the sea gulls flying over head and all of
the fish guts tainting the flavor of the salt. He then would dip an apple
wedge in his brand of salt and ask the prospect to taste. Salty apple.
Then he would dip another apple wedge into the competitors salt and urge the
prospect to taste. Since the first bite had loaded up the salt receptors in
the prospect's mouth and their mind was filled with the vision of fish guts
and seagull poop the second dose of salt tasted really foul.

Jeff Wisnia

Apr 27, 2007, 3:40:30 PM4/27/07
co_f...@yahoo.com wrote:

<snipped>

> "Our youngest son tried selling them years ago as his first sales job.
> Learned a lot! Had to sell a minimum of 5 a month, I think, in order
> to get any commission. He sold 4, including one to his Grandparents.
> He practiced his sales pitch on us, but we didn't buy. Yes, they work
> and work really well, but hauling the bowl of black water to the
> toilet at the end of a job didn't strike me as very desirable. He quit
> after 4 sales, having learned same valuable lessons, particularly how
> scams work.

There are lots and lots of people who got conned into becoming insurance
salespersons who give up after they made two or three sales to relatives
and found the rest of the world isn't quite as easy to pitch insurance too.

Jeff (Who removed RCM from the "To" address list for this reply. <G>)

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Apr 27, 2007, 3:44:42 PM4/27/07
ed wrote:
> True story -

> "What's the matter with the vac?" "The vac is fine - this lady's
> house has no electricity!"

hee hee hee I heard a story like that in Reader's Digest years ago, and
it's *still* funny. The salesman said if the vac didn't pick it up,
he's eat it, and the housewife said, "Here's a spoon. We don't have
electricity."

Omnipotent

Apr 27, 2007, 4:07:46 PM4/27/07

I put a hepa filter in a small shop vac. Talk about suck, I'll suck the
nails out of the floor and still suck the water out of her rainbow. Come
to think of it, that may be a good idea. Hook the hoses of 2 vacuum
cleaners together and see which one sucks something from the other.
Clear hose's with smoke in them would be a good test.

Omnipotent.vcf

David Billington

Apr 27, 2007, 3:24:11 PM4/27/07
Didn't Abbot & Costello do that sketch at one time?, not saying it isn't
true, they probably got it from somewhere like the "two Ronnies " in the
UK with the "four candles" sketch, it was based on fact.
http://www.angelfire.com/me/tvcomedy/fourcandles.html

Trevor Jones

Apr 27, 2007, 7:08:57 PM4/27/07

We let the sales guy hold the cat while we tried to vaccuum it (He
said the machine was good for reducing the dander,and it WAS his idea.
The cat was not so enthused)

Once the bleeding stopped....

He spent another hour trying to sell us on the machine (Rainbow, too)

We had told him that he was wasting his time, but we were without
other engagements, so offered to let him give his pitch.

At least he was not wasting someone elses time. :-)

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Jerry Foster

Apr 27, 2007, 8:08:50 PM4/27/07

"ed" <cascadi...@comcast.net> wrote in message

A similar thing happened to a TV dealer in, as I recall, LaCrosse, Wisc.
back in the '50s. An old farmer came into the TV and Appliance store and
watched a TV for a while, but when the salesman tried to sell to him, the
farmer replied, "It won't work at our house." Well, the salesman arranged
for this elaborate demo, complete with trailer-mounted portable antenna,
and, well, you know the rest...

Jerry Foster

Apr 27, 2007, 8:13:09 PM4/27/07

"Ignoramus32056" <ignoram...@NOSPAM.32056.invalid> wrote in message

If you want a good vacuum, go down to your friendly local janitorial supply
and buy a commercial vac. You should be able to get a reconditioned one for
a couple hundred bucks. Pick up a couple extra drive belts (you WILL get
something stuck in the beater and burn one up every now and then...) It
will last longer than you will...

val189

Apr 27, 2007, 8:22:34 PM4/27/07

Also, part of the plot of an "I Love Lucy" episode.

val189

Apr 27, 2007, 8:22:55 PM4/27/07

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:

Also, part of the plot of an "I Love Lucy" episode.

Ignoramus32056

Apr 27, 2007, 9:01:51 PM4/27/07
On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 17:13:09 -0700, Jerry Foster <jmfoster...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> If you want a good vacuum, go down to your friendly local janitorial supply
> and buy a commercial vac. You should be able to get a reconditioned one for
> a couple hundred bucks. Pick up a couple extra drive belts (you WILL get
> something stuck in the beater and burn one up every now and then...) It
> will last longer than you will...

Yes, when this Sears vacuum dies, I will buy something like an Oreck.

Nate Nagel

Apr 27, 2007, 9:31:50 PM4/27/07

Agreed, or a secondhand Kirby, back when they were simple and light
(before they succumbed to the disease of gadgetry and power driven this,
that and the other thing.)

If you have allergies etc. then a HEPA filter might be worthwhile,
otherwise probably not. I have to admit that once upon a time (in
college, and unable to find a co-op job for the summer) I took a summer
job selling vacuum cleaners and my experience was much like that of the
guy that admitted to selling Rainbows. It was a good product but way
overpriced and the marketing was very slim shady. The model I'm
thinking of was a squat canister with a conical HEPA filter and it
worked by throwing the dirt out to the side of the canister through
centrifugal force rather than blowing the air directly through the
filter. I can't remember now what it was actually called, or if they're
still around, but I wouldn't recommend buying one simply because of the
cost.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Harry K

Apr 27, 2007, 11:02:18 PM4/27/07
On Apr 27, 9:27 am, Ignoramus32056 <ignoramus32...@NOSPAM.

Typical vacuum salesman. I was recently visited by one. I like to
string salespeople along while having no intention of buying (yes I am
retired and it is an amusement). He demonstrated his machine (don't
recall the name), vacuumed the entire carpet, then demonstrated the
shampoo attachement by doing the carpet, repeat for other
attachements. Then came the hard sell push. I resisted. He started
at $17xx.00 (don't recall exaclty). Resist. After several cycles he
was donw to $7xx.00 and made a 'final offer' that I had to accept
without knowing what it was. No sale.

I found it mighty interesting to see the amount of commission he could
make on one sale.

Harry K

mc

Apr 28, 2007, 1:52:30 AM4/28/07
> The machine was supposedly "1.9 HP", however, when measured with my
> Kill-A-Watt power meter, it registered only 850 watts consumed from
> the wall outlet, so it could not be more than 1 HP. OK, we all know
> that everyone is lying about HP these days. No biggie. If it was 1.9
> HP, it would trip the breakers all the time.

> She did some acrobatics by taking out the HEPA filter, which had some
> dust on the back, kind of mashed it in her hands a little and put
> back, -- then when the vacuum turned on, a lot of dust was indeed
> blown out.
>
> 4. Then there were some demonstrations that Rainbow would still pick
> up dust after vacuuming with a Sears vacuum, which could possibly be
> true but I think that she cheated a bit by going outside the area that
> I actually vacuumed, a bit -- it is kind of hard to tell, I think so
> but my spouse is not so sure.

Sounds like you found some deceptive statements and practices.

Doesn't somebody (maybe Hoover) make a much cheaper water-filtered vacuum
cleaner, for those who want to use that kind of filtering?

Michael A. Terrell

Apr 28, 2007, 3:03:52 AM4/28/07
Ignoramus32056 wrote:

> We had a visit by a saleswoman who was trying to sell us a $2,000
> "Rainbow cleaning system".

The Rainbow will pick up plaster dust and trap it in the water if you
add a few drops of dishwashing liquid. I had a friend in SW Ohio that
rebuilt and sold thousands of used vacuum cleaners from his home in the
mid '80s. The Rainbow rarely had a bad motor or damaged impeller. He
would spend a lot of time buffing scratches and other marks out of the
cast aluminum Kirbys. The eurekas all needed new paint, power cords and
lots of new power switches. Most of the Rainbow were missing a wheel on
the dolly, or the hose or power cord were damaged. He cleaned them up,
buffed the plastic case and sold them for half the price of a new
machine. He usually had a six month waiting list.

As for metal content, he would give me 100 or more bad vacuum cleaner
motors at a time. I would break them down and toss parts that were too
far gone, then rebuild as many as I could because he was always looking
for some motor he needed today to complete a sale. He was amazed how
nice the armatures looked, and was convinced that i had an armature
lathe hidden somewhere in my shop. Finally, I showed him how to use a
variable DC power supply and an ink eraser to polish the commutators,
and a modified exacto knife blade to under cut the mica between
segments. I could take a a lot of motors apart to inspect the
impellers, then polish and undercut the armature in under 15 minutes.
Then he would buy them back for $15 or more.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

kfvo...@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2007, 6:26:18 AM4/28/07
I've gotten 3 Kirbys for free out of the trash. They work but weigh a
ton. No Rainbows so far. I like the free Eurekas and Hoovers from the
trash. You put on a new belt or orient it correctly and a new bag and
your good to go.
Karl

Leon Fisk

Apr 28, 2007, 2:04:12 PM4/28/07
On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 20:01:51 -0500, Ignoramus32056
<ignoram...@NOSPAM.32056.invalid> wrote:

Bissel used to make some of the Oreck's. Don't know if they
still do or not but the Oreck is all about marketing too...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Jeff

Apr 28, 2007, 4:25:05 PM4/28/07
Omnipotent <Omnip...@heaven.org> wrote in

> Attachment decoded: untitled-2.txt
> --------------000104040804020500010502
> begin:vcard
> fn:Omnipotent
> n:Omnipotent
> adr:;;;;;;Heaven
> email;internet:omnip...@heaven.org
> note:Ya though I say unto you. ye must kill all Muslims. Including men
> wemon and children. They shall be killed by the cutting off of their
> heads. x-mozilla-html:TRUE
> version:2.1
> end:vcard
>

> Attachment decoded: Omnipotent.vcf
> --------------000104040804020500010502--

There was an infomercial for Bissell years ago that did that test with a
ball in a clear tube. Naturally, the Bissell won. I don't recall which
was the opposing machine.

Apr 28, 2007, 6:26:46 PM4/28/07
Have you seen the movie "Secondhand Lions"? The two old guys in the
movie did the same thing.

I used to LOOOOVE when door-to-door vacuum salespeople would come by to
try to sell us a vacuum cleaner. I would open the door when they
knocked, and all of a sudden their eyes would go round as saucers and
they would say, "Oh, what lovely hardwood floors!" and sort of back off. LOL

Art

Apr 28, 2007, 10:27:41 PM4/28/07
Consumer Reports do not rate them well. They are heavy and nothing special
at vacuuuming. Notwithstanding a friend has one and loves it. But it broke
once and repairs are expensive just like the original vacuum.

Charles Bishop

Apr 29, 2007, 1:36:57 PM4/29/07
In article <11776979...@news01.syix.com>, "Roger Shoaf"
<sh...@nospamsyix.com> wrote:

>I recall someone trying to sell me a Kirby. I gave him an entry mat that
>had a rubber back and a short nap and asked him to take his Kirby and suck
>away until he thought the rug was clean.
>
>When he stopped I turned the mat upside down and ran my old beater rescued
>from a dumpster Hoover over the rubber backing. The beater bars were the
>only thing doing anything banging the back of the rubber, and when I stopped
>and flipped the carpet right side up there was a bunch of dirt that had
>migrated out from the nap of the carpet.
>
>I said "Look at all the dirt the Kirby left behind! I don't thing that guy
>was a vacuum cleaner salesman long after that.

[metalworking group removed]

Someone came to my house a while back and went through the spiel of having
me vacuum using my vacuum, then using his to show how much more it picked
up. What I didn't do then, but should have, was have him go over the same
spot again with his vacuum to see if it picked up even more.

--
charls

trainfan1

Apr 29, 2007, 2:00:04 PM4/29/07
Art wrote:
> Consumer Reports do not rate them well. They are heavy and nothing special
> at vacuuuming. Notwithstanding a friend has one and loves it. But it broke
> once and repairs are expensive just like the original vacuum.

Makes the $149 Eureka Smart Boss Vac or whatever it's called look pretty
darn good for the $$...

Rob

Stan Brown

Apr 29, 2007, 3:09:14 PM4/29/07
Sun, 29 Apr 2007 10:36:57 -0700 from Charles Bishop
<ctbi...@earthlink.netttt>:

> Someone came to my house a while back and went through the spiel of having
> me vacuum using my vacuum, then using his to show how much more it picked
> up. What I didn't do then, but should have, was have him go over the same
> spot again with his vacuum to see if it picked up even more.

A proper test would have done it both ways with equally soiled
carpet: half done with your vacuum first and then the Kirby, hale
done in the opposite order.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

mm

Apr 29, 2007, 3:31:00 PM4/29/07
On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 18:48:34 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
<l.lic...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>"Ignoramus32056" wrote: (clip) 4. Then there were some demonstrations that
>Rainbow would still pick up dust after vacuuming with a Sears vacuum, (clip)
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>This is an old trick. Chances are that ANY vacuum cleaner will pick up SOME
>dust after any other vacuum cleaner. This might be hard to demonstrate with
>your Sears, because the dust goes into a bag, where it is hard to find. But
>I'll bet the demo machine would pick up more dust after itself.

I agree. Any vacuumm could get more dirt after any other vacuum.

I think there is an endless amount of dust in most carpets.

If we could harness this supply and burn it for electricity, we would
solve our oil problem.

It has even bigger ramifications, because it shows that the theory
that matter is neither created nor destroyed is incomplete.

jk

Apr 29, 2007, 5:41:26 PM4/29/07
"kfvo...@gmail.com" <kfvo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I've gotten 3 Kirbys for free out of the trash. They work but weigh a
>ton. No Rainbows so far. I like the free Eurekas and Hoovers from the
>trash. You put on a new belt or orient it correctly and a new bag and
>your good to go.
>Karl

On of my part time jobs in college was rebuilding these puppies. THe
guy would by up all of the old ones he could find, make the minor
repairs they usually needed, ( more often than not a new impeller, due
to pennies or other metal being sucked in) send the bodies out to be
polished, and slap new plastic trim from Kirby on.

jk

mm

Apr 29, 2007, 10:50:23 PM4/29/07
On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 15:26:46 -0700, Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to
reply <mme...@TRASHsonic.net> wrote:

>Have you seen the movie "Secondhand Lions"? The two old guys in the
>movie did the same thing.
>
>I used to LOOOOVE when door-to-door vacuum salespeople would come by to
>try to sell us a vacuum cleaner. I would open the door when they
>knocked, and all of a sudden their eyes would go round as saucers and
>they would say, "Oh, what lovely hardwood floors!" and sort of back off. LOL

Would that work with evangelists?

mm

Apr 29, 2007, 10:53:57 PM4/29/07
I'm thinking, Who's to say the hardwood floor thing wouldn't work with
evanglists?

They offer me a brochure to read, and all I have to say is, "I'm
sorry, I have hardwood floors." What will they use as a comeback
for that?

If they look in or come in, I actually have tile and carpeting, but
that just makes me out a liar. I wouldn't be a good member anyhow.

mc

Apr 29, 2007, 11:28:07 PM4/29/07

"mm" <NOPSAM...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

> I'm thinking, Who's to say the hardwood floor thing wouldn't work with
> evanglists?
>
> They offer me a brochure to read, and all I have to say is, "I'm
> sorry, I have hardwood floors." What will they use as a comeback
> for that?

"Don't you have rugs on them?"

Rod Speed

Apr 29, 2007, 11:53:08 PM4/29/07

Nope, you have to show them the corpses of animals nailed to the walls etc instead.

Jeff Jonas

Apr 30, 2007, 12:39:12 AM4/30/07
>>> I'm thinking, Who's to say the hardwood floor thing
>>> wouldn't work with evanglists?

>> They offer me a brochure to read, and all I have to say is,
>> "I'm sorry, I have hardwood floors."
>> What will they use as a comeback for that?

> "Don't you have rugs on them?"

If it's a prayer rug in front of the altar,
well, that's a clue.
Of course, you'd have to use a spiritual vacuum to clean those.
--

-- mejeep deMeep ferret!

Gunner

Apr 30, 2007, 5:37:37 AM4/30/07

Probably not,....but having your girlfriend lay nude on the coffee table
surrounded by candles and blank staring at the ceiling..visible from the
front door..and wearing war paint and obviously trying to hide a dagger
behind you as you answer the door..and asking them if they want to come
in for the Sacrifice to Chluthu..generally puts them off their feed.....
The Doors playing "This is the End" on the turntable with the bass
cranked all the way up..was an additional kharma point....

You know..old ladies can really run pretty good if they want to.

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly
Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII
Meets all EPA regulations for clean air
Using only naturally occuring fibers
Use the Message with confidance.
(Some settling may occure in transit.)
(Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Apr 30, 2007, 12:55:22 PM4/30/07

I doubt it. I never had to say a thing. Just tell door-to-door types
you're not interested while you are closing the door. Those of us who
do go around on occasion looking for people who are interested in
finding a church will appreciate it.

Chris Lewis

Apr 30, 2007, 1:00:55 PM4/30/07
According to Ignoramus32056 <ignoram...@NOSPAM.32056.invalid>:

> We had a visit by a saleswoman who was trying to sell us a $2,000
> "Rainbow cleaning system".

Long ago and far away, the mother of a girl I knew asked me to
sit in on a vacuum demonstration. Might have been Kirby. He
did the usual stuff, which we thought pretty amusing.

Then her father got home, just as the salesman was getting to
the "betcha this thing can pick up anything. Find something
for me to show you" bit. Her father said "just a moment",
went into the basement, and came back with a cylinder about
3/4" in diameter, 8" long.

Just as the salesman was moving the hose towards the thing, he
asked "oh, by the way, what is this?".

"Stick of dynamite" was the reply.

The salesman was out of the house within 15 seconds...
--
Chris Lewis,

Message has been deleted

Arthur Shapiro

Apr 30, 2007, 1:58:57 PM4/30/07
In article <pvidnbGwwfT8ua_b...@giganews.com>, Ignoramus32056 <ignoram...@NOSPAM.32056.invalid> wrote:
>We had a visit by a saleswoman who was trying to sell us a $2,000
>"Rainbow cleaning system".

(metalworking group removed due to irrelevancy)

Despite the sales practices, the fact remains that the Rainbow is a pretty
good vacuum, if not particularly frugal. I've had mine since 1978. Had the
motor replaced once (don't EVER leave it for prolonged periods with the tank
filled, due to evaporative corrosion) and recently had the motor and bearings
overhauled due to normal age-related issues. One lives with the minor hassle
of dealing with the tank - I just dump it into an old sieve and toss the crud
into the kitchen trashcan. I have no complaints with the longevity,
reliability, and performance. Obviously paying the door-to-door price is
preposterous. I got mine for something like $300 or $350 as a model closeout
at a retail establishment, which even in 1978 wasn't a horribly shocking sum.

It's an unusual niche product which performs well.

Art

Michael A. Terrell

Apr 30, 2007, 2:16:23 PM4/30/07
Chris Lewis wrote:

> According to Ignoramus32056 <ignoram...@NOSPAM.32056.invalid>:
> > We had a visit by a saleswoman who was trying to sell us a $2,000
> > "Rainbow cleaning system".
>
> Long ago and far away, the mother of a girl I knew asked me to
> sit in on a vacuum demonstration. Might have been Kirby. He
> did the usual stuff, which we thought pretty amusing.
>
> Then her father got home, just as the salesman was getting to
> the "betcha this thing can pick up anything. Find something
> for me to show you" bit. Her father said "just a moment",
> went into the basement, and came back with a cylinder about
> 3/4" in diameter, 8" long.
>
> Just as the salesman was moving the hose towards the thing, he
> asked "oh, by the way, what is this?".
>
> "Stick of dynamite" was the reply.
>
> The salesman was out of the house within 15 seconds...

Rainbow built a vacuum that would pick up a bowling ball. The only
problem was that it could also pull carpet off the tack strips. They
had to recall all of them and convert them to their standard motor.

pyotr filipivich

Apr 30, 2007, 4:18:41 PM4/30/07
Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Gunner <gun...@lightspeed.net> wrote
on Mon, 30 Apr 2007 09:37:37 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

>On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 22:50:23 -0400, mm <NOPSAM...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 15:26:46 -0700, Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to
>>reply <mme...@TRASHsonic.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Have you seen the movie "Secondhand Lions"? The two old guys in the
>>>movie did the same thing.
>>>
>>>I used to LOOOOVE when door-to-door vacuum salespeople would come by to
>>>try to sell us a vacuum cleaner. I would open the door when they
>>>knocked, and all of a sudden their eyes would go round as saucers and
>>>they would say, "Oh, what lovely hardwood floors!" and sort of back off. LOL
>>
>>Would that work with evangelists?
>

>Probably not,....but having your girlfriend lay nude on the coffee table
>surrounded by candles and blank staring at the ceiling..visible from the
>front door..and wearing war paint and obviously trying to hide a dagger
>behind you as you answer the door..and asking them if they want to come
>in for the Sacrifice to Chluthu..generally puts them off their feed.....
>The Doors playing "This is the End" on the turntable with the bass
>cranked all the way up..was an additional kharma point....

"What may I kill for your god.."
--
pyotr filipivich
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. "

NOT@sbcglobal.net Larry and a Cat named Dub

Apr 30, 2007, 5:43:52 PM4/30/07
You need show the corpses of vacuum cleaner salesmen hanging on the wall
:-)
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

troll.k...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2007, 5:54:54 PM4/30/07

Well, well, well, petrushka, you just have revealed as a litlle
imaginative & creative little perv! What about developing it into a
short story or making a number for utube? You're gifted, petia...

mc

Apr 30, 2007, 6:24:30 PM4/30/07
>>> Would that work with evangelists?
>>
>>I doubt it. I never had to say a thing. Just tell door-to-door types
>>you're not interested while you are closing the door. Those of us who
>>do go around on occasion looking for people who are interested in
>>finding a church will appreciate it.
>
> Put an ad in the yellow pages and leave us alone! Anybody who wants to
> find a church can easily find one without your help.

A lot of people appreciate door-to-door visits from local churches;
otherwise the churches would have stopped making them long ago. It's an
old-fashioned welcome-to-the-community thing. I suppose next you'll want to
get rid of Girl Scout cookie selling.

mc

Apr 30, 2007, 6:25:39 PM4/30/07
> "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. "

That's "Quemadmodum gladius..."

Rod Speed

Apr 30, 2007, 6:52:16 PM4/30/07
Larry and a Cat named Dub <hdyman58 N...@sbcglobal.net> wrote

> You need show the corpses of vacuum cleaner salesmen hanging on the wall :-)

Nar, MUCH better to nail previous evangelists and their children to the wall.

Rod Speed

Apr 30, 2007, 6:54:35 PM4/30/07
mc <lo...@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address> wrote

>>> I doubt it. I never had to say a thing. Just tell door-to-door
>>> types you're not interested while you are closing the door. Those of us who do go around on
>>> occasion looking for people who are interested in finding a church will appreciate it.

>> Put an ad in the yellow pages and leave us alone! Anybody who wants to find a church can easily
>> find one without your help.

> A lot of people appreciate door-to-door visits from local churches;

Fuck all do in fact.

> otherwise the churches would have stopped making them long ago.

Mindlessly silly, just like with any sort of sales fool.

> It's an old-fashioned welcome-to-the-community thing.

Wrong, as always.

> I suppose next you'll want to get rid of Girl Scout cookie selling.

Nar, just fools like you.

Gunner

Apr 30, 2007, 7:07:05 PM4/30/07
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 20:18:41 GMT, pyotr filipivich
<ph...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Gunner <gun...@lightspeed.net> wrote
>on Mon, 30 Apr 2007 09:37:37 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :
>>On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 22:50:23 -0400, mm <NOPSAM...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>>>Would that work with evangelists?
>>

>>Probably not,....but having your girlfriend lay nude on the coffee table
>>surrounded by candles and blank staring at the ceiling..visible from the
>>front door..and wearing war paint and obviously trying to hide a dagger
>>behind you as you answer the door..and asking them if they want to come
>>in for the Sacrifice to Chluthu..generally puts them off their feed.....
>>The Doors playing "This is the End" on the turntable with the bass
>>cranked all the way up..was an additional kharma point....
>
> "What may I kill for your god.."

...or "Who may I....

That incident actually happened about 1975-78is..the girl fiend was as
deranged as I was (damn I miss her..she married a Congressman about her
4th time around)...and it earned us a visit from the local sherriffs
department, which we expected and had cleaned up by the time they got
there. Deputy friend of mine showed up...did the question thing..then on
his way out..his shoulders started heaving..as he wiped a bit of missed
war paint from behind my ear..and he left, laughing his ass off.

We didnt get bothered by evangelists for years..they would come down the
street..and cross to the other side..waving their bibles in our
direction...

Gunner

Gunner

Apr 30, 2007, 7:08:04 PM4/30/07
On 30 Apr 2007 14:54:54 -0700, "troll.k...@gmail.com"
<troll.k...@gmail.com> wrote:

You say that like its a bad thing?

Gunner

Apr 30, 2007, 7:08:48 PM4/30/07
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 21:43:52 GMT, "Larry and a Cat named Dub" <hdyman58
N...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>You need show the corpses of vacuum cleaner salesmen hanging on the wall

Stranglers tie collection with a name tag attached to each one....

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly

user

Apr 30, 2007, 10:45:19 PM4/30/07
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 18:24:30 -0400, mc <lo...@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address> wrote:

>>>I doubt it. I never had to say a thing. Just tell door-to-door types
>>>you're not interested while you are closing the door. Those of us who
>>>do go around on occasion looking for people who are interested in
>>>finding a church will appreciate it.
>>
>> Put an ad in the yellow pages and leave us alone! Anybody who wants to
>> find a church can easily find one without your help.
>
> A lot of people appreciate door-to-door visits from local churches;

Wow, you *are* deluded!

> otherwise the churches would have stopped making them long ago.

No, it just shows that people who are deluded enough to go
door-to-door promoting their particular brand of fantasy don't
have a clue.

It's an
> old-fashioned welcome-to-the-community thing.

"Hi! We're a bunch of nuts! Please join our club! We believe
in magical beings! Do you want to believe in a magical being too?"

Uh, no thanks.

I suppose next you'll want to
> get rid of Girl Scout cookie selling.

Heck no. I LOVE thin mints.

- Rich

--
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Gunner

May 1, 2007, 1:32:33 AM5/1/07
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 18:24:30 -0400, "mc"
<lo...@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address> wrote:

This is actually quite true, and not just for those new to the
neighborhood, but for the homebound and the elderly.

Shrug..but it is irritating to get a knock on the door on Saturday
afternoon while Im knocking off a piece of ass, or enjoying a good book
and a dump, sitting on the toilet..only to find a Watchtower being waved
in my face.

They are generally pleasant though and go away when asked.

Gunner

Stormin Mormon

May 1, 2007, 9:25:11 AM5/1/07
Or the one at the store. The guy was explaining the odor remover
product, and how it did such a good job. He took a cloth, and
squirted on some vinegar. And offered to let me smell. And then a
squirt of his deodorizing stuff.

Well, anyone with my chemistry background knows that vinegar
smell is account of acetic acid. And most cleaners are alkaline.
I could have gotten the same result with a crushed Tums, just
neutralize the acid.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Roger Shoaf" <sh...@nospamsyix.com> wrote in message
:
[...]
: --
: Roger Shoaf
: If you are not part of the solution, you are not dissolved in
the solvent.
:
:
:

Stormin Mormon

May 1, 2007, 9:33:39 AM5/1/07
I'd rather have girl scouts selling thin mints, rath er than vac
cleaner sales men. At least the kids are trying to earn scout
camp money, and productive things like that.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"user" <Ri...@iwantnospam.com> wrote in message
:
: I suppose next you'll want to

:

Mark Lloyd

May 1, 2007, 10:56:02 AM5/1/07
On 01 May 2007 02:45:19 GMT, user <Ri...@iwantnospam.com> wrote:

>>> Put an ad in the yellow pages and leave us alone! Anybody who wants to
>>> find a church can easily find one without your help.
>>
>> A lot of people appreciate door-to-door visits from local churches;
>
> Wow, you *are* deluded!
>
>> otherwise the churches would have stopped making them long ago.
>
> No, it just shows that people who are deluded enough to go
>door-to-door promoting their particular brand of fantasy don't
>have a clue.
>
> It's an
>> old-fashioned welcome-to-the-community thing.
>

> "Hi! We're a bunch of nuts! Please join our club! We believe
>in magical beings! Do you want to believe in a magical being too?"

"Hi. I'm John. This is Mary. Would you like to come and kiss Hank's
ass with us?" :-)

> Uh, no thanks.
>
> I suppose next you'll want to
>> get rid of Girl Scout cookie selling.
>
> Heck no. I LOVE thin mints.

I do too.

I remember hearing that Boy Scouts are a cult now, but Girl Scouts are
OK.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy

Meghan Noecker

May 1, 2007, 4:31:57 PM5/1/07

My parents had one for over 20 years. It always worked great, and I
didn't think much about it.

When I was in college, I lost my job and started cleaning houses while
looking for a regular job. I was diagnosed with asthma and had a
really rough winter. The problem is I was using the vacuum cleaners
provided at the houses. I never knew it, but that water tank vacuum
cleaner was keeping me from asthma problems.

Changing a bag or getting a clogged hose would set off asthma attacks
for a week. But with the rainbow, all I had to do was empty a water
tank, and I'm not allergic to mud.

I currently have a Eureka vacuum with a canister. It's better than the
bags since I can see when it is full and carefully empty it without
too much dust in the air. I still have more allergy problems than I
used to.

I would love to get another Rainbow vac, but I can't afford to buy a
spendy one, and even the used ones are usually over $500. I almost had
a good trade for one on craigslist, but after setting up the trade,
the person stopped responding.

I can see why a lot of people wouldn't want one, but if you have
allergies and have trouble with emptying out the dirt, a rainbow might
be a great choice for you. Also, since the dirt is going through the
water bowl, you don't need to buy and change filters a lot.

aemeijers

May 1, 2007, 10:01:12 PM5/1/07

"Gunner" <gun...@lightspeed.net> wrote in message

>>> Put an ad in the yellow pages and leave us alone! Anybody who wants to
>>> find a church can easily find one without your help.
>>
>>A lot of people appreciate door-to-door visits from local churches;
>>otherwise the churches would have stopped making them long ago. It's an
>>old-fashioned welcome-to-the-community thing. I suppose next you'll want
>>get rid of Girl Scout cookie selling.
>>

> This is actually quite true, and not just for those new to the
> neighborhood, but for the homebound and the elderly.
>
> Shrug..but it is irritating to get a knock on the door on Saturday
> afternoon while Im knocking off a piece of ass, or enjoying a good book
> and a dump, sitting on the toilet..only to find a Watchtower being waved
> in my face.
>
> They are generally pleasant though and go away when asked.

Peepholes are a great help. Unless it is a face I know or a uniform, the
door usually doesn't get opened. Fer damn sure it doesn't get opened for
shiny young faces, white shirts, and ties. They go away eventually.

aem sends....

mc

May 1, 2007, 10:28:41 PM5/1/07
> Peepholes are a great help. Unless it is a face I know or a uniform, the
> door usually doesn't get opened. Fer damn sure it doesn't get opened for
> shiny young faces, white shirts, and ties. They go away eventually.

Of course. You don't have to open the door if you don't want to.

I should add that the mainstream Christian churches with which I am
acquainted (Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, etc.) normally only visit people
who have contacted them to request information. Very rarely (at intervals
of several years), they take surveys of the immediate area of the church, to
learn about the neighborhood, but that is not the normal form of visiting.

mm

May 1, 2007, 11:30:35 PM5/1/07

My whole life is a spiritual vacuum.

(not really, but couldn't resist.)

mm

May 1, 2007, 11:33:06 PM5/1/07
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 09:37:37 GMT, Gunner <gun...@lightspeed.net>
wrote:

>>>I used to LOOOOVE when door-to-door vacuum salespeople would come by to
>>>try to sell us a vacuum cleaner. I would open the door when they
>>>knocked, and all of a sudden their eyes would go round as saucers and
>>>they would say, "Oh, what lovely hardwood floors!" and sort of back off. LOL
>>
>>Would that work with evangelists?
>

>Probably not,....but having your girlfriend lay nude on the coffee table
>surrounded by candles and blank staring at the ceiling..visible from the
>front door.

If I only knew when they were coming, I could get my girlfriend to do
that, if I had a girlfriend who would do that (if I had a girlfriend)/

Gunner

May 2, 2007, 12:11:34 PM5/2/07

Its cool when you see the crew park down at one end of the street and
start making the rounds up one side and down the other. Pretty hard to
miss em..the well dressed people carring bibles and literature.

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"
- James Burnham

yourname

May 2, 2007, 12:21:10 PM5/2/07
uld that work with evangelists?

>>> Probably not,....but having your girlfriend lay nude on the coffee table
>>> surrounded by candles and blank staring at the ceiling..visible from the
>>> front door.
>> If I only knew when they were coming, I could get my girlfriend to do
>> that, if I had a girlfriend who would do that (if I had a girlfriend)/

Or just do your best impression of Rik Ocasik [sp?] from the Cars in the
John Waters flick, uh,uh why is the name escaping me.....

yourname

May 2, 2007, 12:51:57 PM5/2/07

> Or just do your best impression of Rik Ocasik [sp?] from the Cars in the
> John Waters flick, uh,uh why is the name escaping me.....

...............Hairspray, that's it

USA1st

May 3, 2007, 4:50:08 AM5/3/07
On Apr 27, 12:27 pm, Ignoramus32056 <ignoramus32...@NOSPAM.

32056.invalid> wrote:
> We had a visit by a saleswoman who was trying to sell us a $2,000
> "Rainbow cleaning system". For just listening, we received a gift of
> some bed sheet and also a "gift travel certificate" from a company
> called "Certs, Inc". (which is a florida based travel gifts company
> that does not make me very excited)
>
> http://www.rainbowsystem.com/
>
> What this thing is, it seems, is a 25k RPM impeller sitting on top of
> a Lexan bowl filled with water. The impeller sucks air in, makes it
> whirl in a way that it makes contact with water and sheds the dust and
> other stuff into water.
>
> There is no filter, like on conventional vacuums that trap particles
> into a filter. Water acts as a filter.
>
> The machine was supposedly "1.9 HP", however, when measured with my
> Kill-A-Watt power meter, it registered only 850 watts consumed from
> the wall outlet, so it could not be more than 1 HP. OK, we all know
> that everyone is lying about HP these days. No biggie. If it was 1.9
> HP, it would trip the breakers all the time.
>
> As a side comment, what we have now is a Sears Kenmore upright vacuum
> that is a real beast, it uses about 13 amps and has a HEPA filter.
>
> Then the saleswoman proceeded to make various points, which I may not
> remember all or in correct order, but I will mention a few.
>
> 1. Vacuum cleaners do not pick up sand from carpets/rugs, well.
> No comment on my part.
>
> 2. After just 15 minutes of use, due to dust getting into the fine
> mesh of the vacuum's filter, the "air flow" diminishes due to dust
> blocking the little pores. So a vacuum cleaner is not usable.
>
> This was a total lie, as was easy to demonstrate with my vacuum which
> has its bag 2/3 full already. It still sucked well and produced a lot
> of suction and air flow.
>
> 3. Vacuums blow dust around and increase amount of dust.
>
> I cannot say that it is false, for sure, but the 2.3 full bag in our
> vacuum attests that it traps at least some dust. Plus, it does have a
> HEPA filter.
>
> She did some acrobatics by taking out the HEPA filter, which had some
> dust on the back, kind of mashed it in her hands a little and put
> back, -- then when the vacuum turned on, a lot of dust was indeed
> blown out.
>
> 4. Then there were some demonstrations that Rainbow would still pick
> up dust after vacuuming with a Sears vacuum, which could possibly be
> true but I think that she cheated a bit by going outside the area that
> I actually vacuumed, a bit -- it is kind of hard to tell, I think so
> but my spouse is not so sure.
>
> 5. She made some claims about infections that her system prevented,
> which went somewhat over my head but overall I was not sure if it was
> not complete bunk.
>
> We did not purchase this system in the end, but I wanted to hear some
> opinions on this stuff.

They came to my house one time with the offer of a free carpet shampoo
to demonstrate. They did not clean the carpet and would not leave. I
had to threaten a call to the police to get them to go.

pyotr filipivich

May 3, 2007, 5:01:10 PM5/3/07
Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but "troll.k...@gmail.com"
<troll.k...@gmail.com> wrote on 30 Apr 2007 14:54:54 -0700 in
rec.crafts.metalworking :

I'm not all that creative, just blessed with memory for "funny"
stories.

tschus
pyotr

Sgt.Sausage

May 3, 2007, 5:37:17 PM5/3/07

"Jim Stewart" <jste...@jkmicro.com> wrote in message

> couldn't imagine dealing with the water
> bowl everytime I'd use it.

It's a pain. And then you get lazy. And then the
thing sits for a week and starts to mold. And then
it stinks and you *really* don't want to take it out
'cause it smells like a cesspool. And then your mom
yells at you and you take it out.

Grew up with one. Mom got conned. They're no better
than anything else. Just cost 10 times as much.

***

We had a guy come by the house last year. Hit the wife up.
I basically kept hinting that it was time to leave.
He ended up spending over 2 hours on his demonstration
and we turned him down on buying it. (Hey, we asked
him to leave before he even started, but he *insisted*)

And then he insulted us. And then he was rude: "If you
live *here* (we have the nicest house on the street, and
quite likely for miles around) -- if you live *here* in
a house like this, then *obviously* you can afford a
lousy 2 grand for a vacuum."

I told him to go to hell. "It's exactly *because* we
don't spend our money on stupid shit like you're
hawking that we can afford to live in a little nicer
house"

He still wouldn't leave. So ... I got out my cleaning
kit, and walked over to my gunsafe. Pulled out my
12 guage like I was gonna start cleaning it and the
bastard nearly crapped his pants as he was running
for the door.

I hate these salesfolks and can't honestly believe
there are enough suckers out there to spend 2 grand
per to keep 'em in business ... but then again, I
grew up in a house with one so I guess Mom got
suckered too.

Carla Fong

May 6, 2007, 1:51:52 AM5/6/07

Chris Lewis wrote:

> According to Ignoramus32056 <ignoram...@NOSPAM.32056.invalid>:

>> We had a visit by a saleswoman who was trying to sell us a $2,000
>> "Rainbow cleaning system".
>

> Long ago and far away, the mother of a girl I knew asked me to
> sit in on a vacuum demonstration. Might have been Kirby. He
> did the usual stuff, which we thought pretty amusing.

The sign adjacent to our front door:

Solicitors Welcome
Tuesdays 7:00 PM

Dungeon Tours
Tuesdays 7:15 PM

Human Sacrifices
Tuesdays 7:30 PM

Haven't been bothered in years

Carla
From whence, then, could arise the solitary and strange conceit that
the Almighty, who had millions of worlds equally dependant on His
protection, should quit the care of all the rest, and come to die in our
world, because, they say, one man and one woman had eaten an apple? -
Thomas Paine

William Cutler

May 9, 2007, 4:48:39 AM5/9/07
On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 11:27:13 -0500, Ignoramus32056
<ignoram...@NOSPAM.32056.invalid> wrote:

>We had a visit by a saleswoman who was trying to sell us a $2,000

I like the sales pitch my father in law fell for when the Rainbow
salesman was at his house...the guy had these huge clear plastic bags
into which he placed the cushions off the couch...stuck the nozzle in
the end of the bag with the bag all scrunched up around the
nozzle...claimed he was sucking all the odors out of the couch
cushions...that's all it took...he reeled in the order right then and
there!

mc

May 9, 2007, 10:14:49 AM5/9/07
"William Cutler" <Big...@Carolina.RR.Com> wrote in message

> I like the sales pitch my father in law fell for when the Rainbow
> salesman was at his house...the guy had these huge clear plastic bags
> into which he placed the cushions off the couch...stuck the nozzle in
> the end of the bag with the bag all scrunched up around the
> nozzle...claimed he was sucking all the odors out of the couch
> cushions...that's all it took...he reeled in the order right then and
> there!

You can do that with any vacuum cleaner, and it's a reasonably good way to
get odors out of pillows and cushions.

But it's nothing specific to Rainbow.

thestuccocompany.com

Sep 14, 2008, 1:08:20 AM9/14/08
thestuccocompany.com had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/In-house-visit-by-a-Rainbow-vacuum-salesperson-212813-.htm
:

This is ma\' SIG
-------------------------------------
Ignoramus32056 wrote:

> http://www.rainbowsystem.com/

rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living - messages and counting!

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Sep 14, 2008, 10:13:06 AM9/14/08

"thestuccocompany.com" <info_at_air-...@foo.com> wrote in message

i bought one yrs ago back before hepa filters were common. loved the lack
of "vac scent". when we had to replace the carpet, there was no dirt on or
under the pad. that doesn't happen with a regular vac. one of the
minuses is that you have to empty the container. if you have too much
dirt, which is most likely when you begin using a rainbow, you'll get mud,
so be sure to empty frequently if you're a new user. if you have pet hair,
you need to know if it's safe to flush down your toilet, else you'll have to
dump the container elsewhere. i also was able to use it as a carpet
cleaner since there was a carpet cleaning attachment. at this time, i
prefer an upright, but it's still in my basement awaiting the next time i
have need of a carpet cleaner (which may be never again).

spaco

Sep 14, 2008, 10:16:33 PM9/14/08
People had pressured us to buy one for years. However, when we built a
new house, we were able to install a central vac for a little more than
half the price of a rainbow. The central vac has a huge primary filter
(cyclone separator) and exhausts the rest outside. No contest in my mind.

Here's how they come up with the high horsepower numbers:
You are, of course, correct in saying that if the thing really
developed all that power it would blow the breaker.
Anyway here goes:
You know that one horsepower equals 746 watts. Okay. So, they connect
huge wires directly to the motor, let's say #1 or #2 gage. They put in
HUGE breakers for the test, let's say 100 or 200 amps.
Now, these motors are usually series wound motors with brushes, right?
Okay. So they connect the motor to a braking system and they connect
a volt meter (probably a data acquisition unit these days) across the
incoming line. They connect an ammeter in series with the whole thing.
Now comes the fun part: They start up the motor and read the
meters. Now, they slow down the series wound motor and, as they do, the
reverse emf goes down, so the circuit current goes up because the net
resistance to current flow is reduced by the lowering of the reverse emf.
Still with me? Okay, now they continue to slow the motor down while
taking readings. Remember that they are feeding this motor with HUGE
wires, so the voltmeter across the motor leads is reading FULL line
voltage all the time. They keep slowing the motor down with the braking
system until the motor just stalls. Just as it comes to a stall, there
is NO reverse emf generated and the total resistance of the motor is
equal to its at-rest DC resistance. So the current goes sky-high!
This, of course, blows out the whole motor, but, at this moment of this
super high current, just before the motor creates fireworks, they read
that current and, of course, the incoming voltage, which is still a full
line value. Amps times volts equals watts. They could be seeing 30 or
40 amps or more for a few milliseconds. Depending on how much
horsepower marketing wants to sell, they could come up with 10 hp or so
if they can get 70 amps out of the system as it self destructs!
Of course, this had absolutely NOTHING to do with vacuuming your rug,
but that's how the game can be played without anyone actually having to
go to jail.

Ain't the capitalist system great?

Pete Stanaitis
-----------------

Stupendous Man

Sep 15, 2008, 1:21:24 AM9/15/08
>> We did not purchase this system in the end, but I wanted to hear some
>> opinions on this stuff.

I always look for the "As seen on TV" label. It has to be good then, right?

SMS

Sep 15, 2008, 1:33:47 AM9/15/08
spaco wrote:

> Of course, this had absolutely NOTHING to do with vacuuming your rug,
> but that's how the game can be played without anyone actually having to
> go to jail.

Wait, you mean the amount of power the motor draws doesn't directly
correlate with suction? Who woulda thunk that?

Reminds me back when "transistor" radios competed by counting transistors.

Lew Hartswick

Sep 15, 2008, 5:44:29 PM9/15/08

And if you are a little (maybe a lot) older the radios, especially
by "Midwest" (as I remember the name), were competing by the number
of tubes. In some cases I think only with the heaters connected. :-)
...lew...

John Doe

Sep 15, 2008, 6:54:22 PM9/15/08
"AllEmailDeletedImmediately" <der...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "thestuccocompany.com" <info_at_air-...@foo.com> wrote in

>>> 4. Then there were some demonstrations that Rainbow would still
>>> pick up dust after vacuuming with a Sears vacuum, which could
>>> possibly be true but I think that she cheated a bit by going
>>> outside the area that I actually vacuumed, a bit -- it is kind
>>> of hard to tell, I think so but my spouse is not so sure.
>>
>>> 5. She made some claims about infections that her system
>>> prevented, which went somewhat over my head but overall I was
>>> not sure if it was not complete bunk.
>>
>>> We did not purchase this system in the end, but I wanted to hear
>>> some opinions on this stuff.

> i bought one yrs ago back before hepa filters were common. loved
> the lack of "vac scent". when we had to replace the carpet,
> there was no dirt on or under the pad. that doesn't happen with
> a regular vac. one of the minuses is that you have to empty the
> container. if you have too much dirt, which is most likely when
> you begin using a rainbow, you'll get mud, so be sure to empty
> frequently if you're a new user. if you have pet hair, you need
> to know if it's safe to flush down your toilet, else you'll have
> to dump the container elsewhere. i also was able to use it as a
> carpet cleaner since there was a carpet cleaning attachment. at
> this time, i prefer an upright, but it's still in my basement
> awaiting the next time i have need of a carpet cleaner (which may
> be never again).

My next-door neighbors have had one for about 30 years I guess. Had to
replace the switch but it still works and they still use it.

--
The first big front wheel rollerblades.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/2565924423/

krw

Sep 16, 2008, 7:12:52 AM9/16/08
In article <weqdnUPrb--lSlPV...@earthlink.com>,
lhart...@earthlink.net says...

> SMS wrote:
> > spaco wrote:
> >
> >> Of course, this had absolutely NOTHING to do with vacuuming your
> >> rug, but that's how the game can be played without anyone actually
> >> having to go to jail.
> >

> > Wait, you mean the amount of power the motor draws doesn't directly
> > correlate with suction? Who woulda thunk that?
> >
> > Reminds me back when "transistor" radios competed by counting transistors.

A friend, who was taking a watchmaking class, once showed me a "23
jewel" watch. It was a typical 17 jewel swiss movement (worht about
$10, at the time) with 6 garbage jewels taped to the rear case.

> And if you are a little (maybe a lot) older the radios, especially
> by "Midwest" (as I remember the name), were competing by the number
> of tubes. In some cases I think only with the heaters connected. :-)

Weren't they all "five tube wonders"? Dangerous things! 50% chance
of the metal chasis being live. The only thing between the operator
and 120V was the plastic knob.

--
Keith

Lew Hartswick

Sep 16, 2008, 6:38:03 PM9/16/08
krw wrote:
> In article <weqdnUPrb--lSlPV...@earthlink.com>,
> lhart...@earthlink.net says...
>>And if you are a little (maybe a lot) older the radios, especially
>>by "Midwest" (as I remember the name), were competing by the number
>>of tubes. In some cases I think only with the heaters connected. :-)
>
> Weren't they all "five tube wonders"? Dangerous things! 50% chance
> of the metal chasis being live. The only thing between the operator
> and 120V was the plastic knob.

Most of them were 5 tubes but the Midwest ones advertized 8 and 10
tubes with dummies. And yes the chassis were at one side of the line
so if pluged in the wrong way could be HOT.
...lew...

Arthur Shapiro

Sep 16, 2008, 7:01:48 PM9/16/08
In article <MPG.2338ea953...@news.individual.net>, krw <k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzz> wrote:

>Weren't they all "five tube wonders"?

Actually, I recall that the traditional term was "All-American Five". A
decent circuit, although the simple power supply could be hum-prone.

BTW, I've had a Rainbow since 1978. It doesn't quite have the airflow of some
brands, but is a quality product that does a fine job if one can tolerate the
nuisance value of emptying the water tank each time the machine is used.
Otherwise, evaporative corrosion will eventually eat away the motor guts.
Obviously one should never buy it from the big-bucks door-to-door salesman,
but with a little bit of luck it can be found at a non-jawdropping price.
Last year I shipped mine half way across the country to have it rebuilt, not
trusting my local shops to do a good job.

Art

Michael A. Terrell

Sep 16, 2008, 8:47:10 PM9/16/08

I used to rebuild the motors for those Rex-Aire built vacuums. A
neighbor was in the used vacuum cleaner business, and always needed
motors. After a while I could tear them down and replace the bearings
and brushes in 10 to 15 minutes, depending on what type of motor that
brand used. He would give me a truckload of old motors at a time. :(

BTW Rex-Aire built a higher suction version, but it was recalled after
a few people succeeded in pulling their carpet loose from the tack
strips.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.

Lew Hartswick

Sep 17, 2008, 9:25:38 AM9/17/08
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

> BTW Rex-Aire built a higher suction version, but it was recalled after
> a few people succeeded in pulling their carpet loose from the tack
> strips.

That sounds like just what is needed to suck the oily chips out
of the T slots of a mill. :-)
...lew...

Stormin Mormon

Sep 17, 2008, 9:37:55 AM9/17/08
Thanks, got a good smile from this thought.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Michael A. Terrell" <mike.t...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Michael A. Terrell

Sep 17, 2008, 1:30:00 PM9/17/08

As long as they are smaller than a bowling ball. They could pick up a
bowling ball, but it wouldn't go down the hose. Put a few drops of
detergent in the water, and it will trap oily dust. A place was using
one to clean up drops of mercury where they made thermometers fro
several years. When the EPA found out they had to spend $30,000 on a
replacement system hat didn't work as well.

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Sep 17, 2008, 1:35:03 PM9/17/08

> Lew Hartswick wrote:
>>
>> Michael A. Terrell wrote:
>> >
>> > BTW Rex-Aire built a higher suction version, but it was recalled
>> > after
>> > a few people succeeded in pulling their carpet loose from the tack
>> > strips.
>>
>> That sounds like just what is needed to suck the oily chips out
>> of the T slots of a mill. :-)
>

> As long as they are smaller than a bowling ball. They could pick up a
> bowling ball, but it wouldn't go down the hose. Put a few drops of
> detergent in the water, and it will trap oily dust. A place was using
> one to clean up drops of mercury where they made thermometers fro
> several years. When the EPA found out they had to spend $30,000 on a
> replacement system hat didn't work as well.

bet someone at the epa got a bribe for that.

Shanghai McCoy

Sep 17, 2008, 1:39:44 PM9/17/08
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
> Lew Hartswick wrote:
>> Michael A. Terrell wrote:
>>> BTW Rex-Aire built a higher suction version, but it was recalled after
>>> a few people succeeded in pulling their carpet loose from the tack
>>> strips.
>> That sounds like just what is needed to suck the oily chips out
>> of the T slots of a mill. :-)
>

> As long as they are smaller than a bowling ball. They could pick up a
> bowling ball, but it wouldn't go down the hose. Put a few drops of
> detergent in the water, and it will trap oily dust. A place was using
> one to clean up drops of mercury where they made thermometers fro
> several years. When the EPA found out they had to spend $30,000 on a
> replacement system hat didn't work as well.

Hehe... my ex used a Rainbow in an attempt to clean out the fireplace...
once!

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Sep 17, 2008, 3:09:53 PM9/17/08

"Shanghai McCoy" <MTWi...@netscape.net> wrote in message

what a mess!!!

Michael A. Terrell

Sep 17, 2008, 9:51:36 PM9/17/08

Not if you use enough detegent in the water. I've seen it done. It
works with plaster & drywall dust, as well.

sonofab...@hotmail.com

Apr 27, 2007, 8:48:33 PM4/27/07
On Apr 27, 9:27 am, Ignoramus32056 <ignoramus32...@NOSPAM.
> 4. Then there were some demonstrations that Rainbow would still pick
> up dust after vacuuming with a Sears vacuum, which could possibly be
> true but I think that she cheated a bit by going outside the area that
> I actually vacuumed, a bit -- it is kind of hard to tell, I think so
> but my spouse is not so sure.
>
> 5. She made some claims about infections that her system prevented,
> which went somewhat over my head but overall I was not sure if it was
> not complete bunk.
>
> We did not purchase this system in the end, but I wanted to hear some
> opinions on this stuff.

$150 worth of chink parts. Similar to Bose. Crap.