water heater fell over in driveway - safe to use?

rache...@hotmail.com

Jun 4, 2007, 9:49:44 AM6/4/07
Last week I had a plumber install a new gas water heater. His helper
had the heater standing up on the driveway and was sliding it onto a
hand truck, when it fell over. The gray metal shield sticking out
under the red thermostat got bent a little, and there's a little dent
in the sheet metal about halfway up the tank, and the release valve
got dinged. I didn't hear any broken glass sound, and the plumber
replaced the release valve. The heater works ok, no noises, no gas
smell. I realize the glass might have cracks that will shorten the
lifespan of the heater, but my concern is just gas safety. Since I
smell no gas, and since the gas-related parts are at the bottom of the
tank (which didn't hit the ground - it seems the release valve got the
most damage, and was replaced) is the heater safe to use? (I realize
in hindsight I probably should have told him not to install it, but
that's hindsight now...) Thanks.

Edwin Pawlowski

Jun 4, 2007, 10:33:22 AM6/4/07

<rache...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I didn't hear any broken glass sound, and the plumber
> replaced the release valve. The heater works ok, no noises, no gas
> smell. I realize the glass might have cracks that will shorten the
> lifespan of the heater, but my concern is just gas safety. Since I
> smell no gas, and since the gas-related parts are at the bottom of the
> tank (which didn't hit the ground - it seems the release valve got the
> most damage, and was replaced) is the heater safe to use? (I realize
> in hindsight I probably should have told him not to install it, but
> that's hindsight now...) Thanks.

It will probably be OK, especially the gas train if it is functioning OK
now. A fall over is fairly gentle in the scheme of things.

The glass lining is not something you'd hear break. It is not glass as in
window glass or a tumbler, but a coating on top of steel. Sort of like the
enamel coating in a pot or the coating on a steel sink. Worst case scenario
is a crack will allow the steel to rust out prematurely, but there is a good
chance nothing happened since it was not a direct hit. The outer shell and
insulation took a lot of the shock.

Overall, you are probably in good shape. Well, your heater probably is in
good shape, I have no way of knowing how good a shape you are in.

Toller

Jun 4, 2007, 3:58:53 PM6/4/07

<rache...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Speaking strictly about gas safety; if you don't smell any gas you should be
fine.
That said; I wouldn't have let him install it; you don't need dents and
bends in a new appliance.

Eigenvector

Jun 4, 2007, 7:48:45 PM6/4/07

<rache...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
I would have asked for a new one. Any number of things could have gone out
of whack during that tumble. It's not like they cost an arm and a leg, but
even still - premature rusting, temp sensors banged up, pressure release
banged up, drain valve banged up, burner knocked around. I think the others
are right in that most likely nothing's wrong with it but some scratches and
dents - but still.

EXT

Jun 5, 2007, 2:59:15 PM6/5/07
Of course you have no idea how many times it fell over before it arrived in
your driveway. If you rejected it, someone else, who didn't know that it
fell would have received it.

"Eigenvector" <m44_m...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

big...@backpacker.com

Jun 5, 2007, 4:06:55 PM6/5/07
You should have requested a new "undented" heater and it would not
have been unreasonable.

Jeremy

Feb 24, 2023, 11:45:05 PM2/24/23
Hey, did it go out prematurely? Mine just fell over during transit as well and I’m just wondering if it will not last as long as it should

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/water-heater-fell-over-in-driveway-safe-to-use-222483-.htm

micky

Feb 25, 2023, 2:44:36 AM2/25/23
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 25 Feb 2023 04:45:03 +0000, Jeremy
<c2894535379c438e...@example.com> wrote:

>Hey, did it go out prematurely? Mine just fell over during transit as well and I’m just wondering if it will not last as long as it should

Definitely can't be used in the driveway.

Must bring it inside.

Probably fine, unless you hear glass rattling around inside. People
have told me that some really do use glass, but I'm not convinced.

I have bought my WHs from Sears and they are made by AOSmith, and they
are called "glass-lined" but when I cut an old one open, it was a thick
layer of vinyl, I guess with glass dust mixed into it. It was never
going to break. Ever. OTOH, I couldn't find anything online about this
style of construction. Go talk to plumbers or whoever sold you the WH
to find out if there is literal glass inside, but even if there is, if
you don't hear it rattling, it didn't break.

My current water heater must have had something heavy on it, because the
inlet or outlet is no longer vertical. Some people would have returned
it, but I connected it and it's been 5 years or so. I really should take
a look. I'm starting to realize what could go wrong after all. (Since
I bought it myself and took it home, I would have had to do the reverse
to return it, including dragging it up from the basement. Maybe I
should have.) But that's not your problem.

Scott Lurndal

Feb 25, 2023, 11:44:13 AM2/25/23
micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com> writes:
>In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 25 Feb 2023 04:45:03 +0000, Jeremy
><c2894535379c438e...@example.com> wrote:
>
>>Hey, did it go out prematurely? Mine just fell over during transit as well and I’m just wondering if it will not last as long as it should
>
>Definitely can't be used in the driveway.
>
>Must bring it inside.
>
>Probably fine, unless you hear glass rattling around inside. People
>have told me that some really do use glass, but I'm not convinced.
>
>I have bought my WHs from Sears and they are made by AOSmith, and they
>are called "glass-lined" but when I cut an old one open, it was a thick
>layer of vinyl, I guess with glass dust mixed into it. It was never
>going to break. Ever. OTOH, I couldn't find anything online about this
>style of construction. Go talk to plumbers or whoever sold you the WH
>to find out if there is literal glass inside, but even if there is, if
>you don't hear it rattling, it didn't break.

The metal inner pressure cylinder may have a glass coating baked on.

If the metal fractures as a result of falling over, you'll know it
as soon as it is under pressure.

It's not "made of glass".