Melting Lead inside home? Dangerouss?

Dale P

Sep 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/30/99
Get that stuff (Lead) outside... You'll contaminate everything in the house
with the lead fumes, including your Kids if you have any...

Dale P
In Nevada -- Will you be doin' Hats also??

<TimeR...@lvcm.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 1 Oct 1999 12:19:34 -0700, "V. Ursenbach" <vdu...@lvdi.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Use a propane torch directly on the metal. The led will melt first. In
> >fact, if you use a small propane torch the copper will probably never
melt.
> A propane torch will have a hard time generating enough heat to melt
> any quantity.
> >Try creating a melting pot that will allow the led to drip from it. This
> >could be a small sauce pan with a hole on the bottom. Under the melting
pot
> >should be some cooling container. You want to be able to release the
semi
> >pure led from the cooling container. Find something that the cooling led
> >will not stick to. A wooden box is normally a good idea. Remember the
led
> >is hot and will burn a spot in the wood. Therefore, before melting the
led,
> >soak. the wood in water first. Use some sort of tongs to remove large
> >pieces of copper from the melting pot.
> Do not use wet wood !! Does the term "steam explosion" have any
> significance?
> >If you were to use your stove inside or use a propane stove, you will
have a
> >problem pouring the led from the pot. It is always best to do this
project
> >outside.
> Why would it be a problem? I use a Coleman stove to heat lead for
> molding fishing sinkers all the time.
> >
> >My family has melted led several times. There is one thing I can advise.
> >Molten led is HOT! It hearts when it come in contact with flesh.
> No Shit??
> This
> >might be a stupid thing to say. However, accident are always happening
with
> >a project like this.
> >

> --
> The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.
> Straight Shootin Y'all.

Bob Gramza

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99
You should not melt lead in the house. Especially unsure lead as you have.
There are fumes you do not want running through the house. See if you can
borrow a propane stove and cook it in the garage or outside.

Mr. TowelHead <towe...@nyx.com> wrote in message
> I bought, like, 100 lbs of lead mixed with copper from a gun range, at
> a ridiculously low price of $6. I want to now melt it, throw the copper
> away, and make 2-3lbs pieces of relatively pure lead that I could store
> indefinitely. I want to use the lead mostly for downrigger stuff for
> fishing. Anyway, my question is, is melting it on a gas stove inside a
> house a really bad idea, contamination wise? How about storage? I did
> melt a part of it yesterday and am having second thoughts.

Mr. TowelHead

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99

Rastus

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99
Please send me your name and address, I'd love to be your beneficiary :)

V. Ursenbach

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99
[...]

Molten led is HOT! It hearts when it come in contact with flesh. This

Bruce Rowen

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99

In article <9388004...@nyx.com>, towe...@nyx.com (Mr. TowelHead) writes:
>I bought, like, 100 lbs of lead mixed with copper from a gun range, at
>a ridiculously low price of $6. I want to now melt it, throw the copper
>away, and make 2-3lbs pieces of relatively pure lead that I could store
>indefinitely. I want to use the lead mostly for downrigger stuff for
>fishing. Anyway, my question is, is melting it on a gas stove inside a
>house a really bad idea, contamination wise?

I'm a home bullet caster so I can relate to this!

In this case, yes. Thee range bullets contain a fair amount
of "crud" that will smoke things up in your house. As far as a lead
vapor hazard, you should be ok if you take basic precautions, but
with all the other fumes, outside (or if your oven has a good vent hood)
woudl be best.

> How about storage?

Big problem! I have stubbed my toes on my ingot pile lots-o-times. Hurts
liek hell, but otherwise it is safe.

>I did
>melt a part of it yesterday and am having second thoughts.

Here are some tips. I melt my lead (mostly wheel weights) in a large
capped section of iron water main pipe. You can use a large pan
however. For melting, I use a propane fired weed burner and do
about 100 pounds at a time. You can use a stove and do less at
a time however. When you get a pot of molten lead, all the "crap"
will float to the top. You can use a ladle to scoop out the jackets
and skim off the dross. A good way to really clean the lead up is to
use some candle wax and toss it in the pot after getting as much
junk out as possible. The wax acts as a fluxing agent. Be sure to
ignight the melted wax with a tossed in match or whatever as it will
soon light on it own. It's not a big fireball, but it'll still burn
for several seconds.

Scoop out the lead with the ladle into muffin tins. The smaller tins
will yield 1 pound ingots so you can size the tins you need from there.

Some precautions:
The lead will be very hot (> 600 degrees).
Don't get any water anywhere close to the pot. Water will cause
small explosions of molten lead as it boils away so be careful
about adding any more unmelted objects to a molten pot!
Create some kind of containment zone if the pot leaks out.
Once it starts to leak, you cannot stop it!
Be aware that some bullets are fully jacketed with copper. As you heat
them up, the lead inside will melt and eventually squirt out of
any defects in the jacket. A tiny pin hole can mean a nice fountain
of molten lead squirting out several feet!

-Bruce
Socorro, NM

Sean Mc Govern

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99

writes:
> >I bought, like, 100 lbs of lead mixed with copper from a gun range, at
> >a ridiculously low price of $6. I want to now melt it, throw the copper
> >away, and make 2-3lbs pieces of relatively pure lead that I could store
> Why throw away the copper?That is worth more than
lead these days!Keep the copper and sell it to a junk dealer.We are getting
about £1 per pound for junk copper in Irelanappx 50cents per pound

Robert Frenchu

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99
How nice of towe...@nyx.com (Mr. TowelHead) to write:

>I bought, like, 100 lbs of lead mixed with copper from a gun range, at
>a ridiculously low price of $6. I want to now melt it, throw the copper
>away, and make 2-3lbs pieces of relatively pure lead that I could store

>indefinitely. I want to use the lead mostly for downrigger stuff for
>fishing. Anyway, my question is, is melting it on a gas stove inside a

>house a really bad idea, contamination wise? How about storage? I did

>melt a part of it yesterday and am having second thoughts.

Not a problem- if you get lead poisoning you could always run for
California State Attorney General, or perhaps even Senator.

--

If my "assault rifle" makes me a criminal
And my encryption program makes me a terrorist

TimeR...@lvcm.com

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99

TimeR...@lvcm.com

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99
On Fri, 1 Oct 1999 12:53:53 -0500, towe...@nyx.com (Mr. TowelHead)
wrote:

>I bought, like, 100 lbs of lead mixed with copper from a gun range, at
>a ridiculously low price of $6. I want to now melt it, throw the copper
>away, and make 2-3lbs pieces of relatively pure lead that I could store
>indefinitely. I want to use the lead mostly for downrigger stuff for
>fishing. Anyway, my question is, is melting it on a gas stove inside a
>house a really bad idea, contamination wise? How about storage? I did
>melt a part of it yesterday and am having second thoughts.

It would be best if you kept the lead away from cooking utensils and
food preparation areas. As far as the fumes go, your gas stove will
most likely not generate enough heat to boil the lead.

Richard Bossard

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99

Dale P <dalepe...@msn.com> wrote in message

> Get that stuff (Lead) outside... You'll contaminate everything in the
house
> with the lead fumes, including your Kids if you have any...

I'd agree that outdoors is the best way. The lead fumes are there, though a
single melt shouldn't be a big deal. But just in case of a mistake -- I'd
rather clean lead up from the front lawn/driveway/where ever then the
workroom floor.

Rick

tran frank

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99
See, I thought even handling lead a lot posed potential health
problems just because of the skin contact, especially for kids.
If not why all the hoopla about lead paint? Just because kids
eat chipping paint, or are there other issues?

Is there an expert (Dr. or chemist, maybe) around who can clear
up the (lead-induced?) haze?

-tran

Just a Guy

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99
I agree that you should do it outside. One thing to be EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS
about is getting water anywhere near hot lead. Hot lead coming in contact
with water amounts to an explosion. I've personally melted and poured many
hundred pounds of lead. You can use a melting pot as suggested below with
good success. My best successes have been using a heavy iron pot and an iron
ladle with oven mitts. Melt the lead in the pot and use the ladle to skim
off the oxidation and to dip the lead out and pour it into the mold of your
choice. I have used aluminum foil to line a mold so I could get the lead
out. You can even hollow out small holes in some sand to use for molds.

I cannot stress enough be VERY CAREFUL when doing this!!!!!

I hope this helps
Just a Guy

V. Ursenbach <vdu...@lvdi.net> wrote in message

> Use a propane torch directly on the metal. The led will melt first. In
> fact, if you use a small propane torch the copper will probably never
melt.

> Try creating a melting pot that will allow the led to drip from it. This
> could be a small sauce pan with a hole on the bottom. Under the melting
pot
> should be some cooling container. You want to be able to release the semi
> pure led from the cooling container. Find something that the cooling led
> will not stick to. A wooden box is normally a good idea. Remember the
led
> is hot and will burn a spot in the wood. Therefore, before melting the
led,
> soak. the wood in water first. Use some sort of tongs to remove large
> pieces of copper from the melting pot.
>

> If you were to use your stove inside or use a propane stove, you will have
> problem pouring the led from the pot. It is always best to do this
project
> outside.
>

> My family has melted led several times. There is one thing I can advise.

> Molten led is HOT! It hearts when it come in contact with flesh. This

-

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99

"Mr. TowelHead" wrote:

> I bought, like, 100 lbs of lead mixed with copper from a gun range, at
> a ridiculously low price of $6. I want to now melt it, throw the copper
> away, and make 2-3lbs pieces of relatively pure lead that I could store
> indefinitely. I want to use the lead mostly for downrigger stuff for
> fishing. Anyway, my question is, is melting it on a gas stove inside a
> house a really bad idea, contamination wise? How about storage? I did
> melt a part of it yesterday and am having second thoughts.

You might consider investing in a melting pot designed for making cast
bullets.

V. Ursenbach

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99
I never said that the led should drip into water. I did say, however, that
the wood should be damp so it will not burn. I have done this several times
without any problems. The would should not be wet, just damp to stop
burning. Get it?

D. Gerasimatos

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99
In article <CWaJ3.416$sz4.26...@speed.city-net.com>,

Is it really worth all this trouble for what will amount to $60-100 worth
of fishing weights? I personally wouldn't bother.

Dimitri

4321

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99
>From: tran frank <tfr...@spectrumcs.org>

>See, I thought even handling lead a lot posed potential health
>problems just because of the skin contact, especially for kids.
>If not why all the hoopla about lead paint? Just because kids
>eat chipping paint, or are there other issues?

The ingestion of lead, by inhaling fumes and/or eating lead based paint can
affect mental development. That's the basis for the warnings.

That the past means nothing, today is important and tomorrow more so.

Ralph Mariano

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99
Care to do the responsible thing?

Get rid of it. Use something else but get shed of the lead. Lead poisoning
.... for you can come through handling it, breathing the vapors as you
liquify it and of course, you pollute the waterways by using it. Lead is
bad news.

rfm

"Mr. TowelHead" <towe...@nyx.com> wrote in message

Russell Wiegand

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99
One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is arsenic poisoning. Many types
of lead shot have arsenic mixed with the lead. (Don't remember why). When
you melt the lead, you not only can inhale minute amounts of lead, you can
also be inhaling arsenic vapor which in large quantities can coalesce into
arsenic in your lungs. I've been melting lead for sinkers and jigs for
years. Just make sure you've got plenty of ventilation. A powerful fan
is a very good idea.
-r-

"Mr. TowelHead" wrote:

> I bought, like, 100 lbs of lead mixed with copper from a gun range, at
> a ridiculously low price of $6. I want to now melt it, throw the copper
> away, and make 2-3lbs pieces of relatively pure lead that I could store
> indefinitely. I want to use the lead mostly for downrigger stuff for
> fishing. Anyway, my question is, is melting it on a gas stove inside a
> house a really bad idea, contamination wise? How about storage? I did
> melt a part of it yesterday and am having second thoughts.

--
Russell Wiegand
Onvoy Tech Support
www.onvoy.net
612-362-5890

Gunner

Oct 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/3/99
I cast a couple hundred pounds of lead a year. In the winter, I cast
outdoors, and in the summer, Indoors (too hot to cast outside in the
summer here.....)
However! My casting bench is a ceramic tile covered bench with a good
strong fart fan pulling air from the pot area, and venting it outside.
I use several smokeless fluxes (blue & gray, marvelux) when casting
bullets. One of the main salient cautions is to prevent the ingestion
of lead by mouth. DO NOT EAT OR SMOKE when casting. Vapor pressure of
lead vapor is quite low, so it will not fume up your house, but
contact with the dusts from junk lead and whatnot can and will coat
your hands, and if you stick them in your mouth, you will very slowly
start to raise your lead levels. I was tested once, after 2 years of
steady casting, and my lead levels were a very small fraction above
the rural norm, and below that of inner city children.
Like another well informed caster posted., I too make a large rough
melt several times a year. I have a 14" bull plug (round bottom) that
I fill with about 100lbs of lead, and its mounted on trunnons over an
old cast iron furnace ring burner. I load it up with wheel weights,
and fire it up...outside. The smell of burning rubber is hard to get
rid of in the house, and makes the missus really unhappy.
I made a series of ingot moulds from sections of old bed frame channel
iron, welded together so its in a V shape... and there are 10 of them,
4" long per mould. I flux and remove the slag that comes to the top,
and after my melt is at least 750`, I tip the pot on its trunnons and
fill the ingot moulds. This gets me by for another 6 months or so on
the few hundred pounds of lead ingots.

Fired jacketed bullets are a fair supply of lead, but for bullet
material, they should be hardened with more tin.
WARNING!!!!!
sort through your bullet scrap for live rounds!! If you are going to
do a mass melt, do this out doors, and load a cold pot with your
scrap, Then fire up the pot. Walk away until the load is melted. I
have seen the result of a live round getting into a melt. I myself
painted the walls of my shop with lead spray when I got into a hurry
and dumped a bunch of sprues , containing a live large rifle primer,
into an already melted batch. Fortunately I was wearing my leathers,
and had stepped back for something. Not fun peeling the shiny little
droplets from EVERYTHING in the shop, including the back of my
neck.....

Gunner

tran frank <tfr...@spectrumcs.org> wrote:

>See, I thought even handling lead a lot posed potential health
>problems just because of the skin contact, especially for kids.
>If not why all the hoopla about lead paint? Just because kids
>eat chipping paint, or are there other issues?
>

>Is there an expert (Dr. or chemist, maybe) around who can clear
>up the (lead-induced?) haze?
>
>-tran

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write
a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort
the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone,
solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program
a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die
gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Gunner

Oct 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/3/99
"Ralph Mariano" <rmar...@streport.com> wrote:

>Care to do the responsible thing?
>
>Get rid of it. Use something else but get shed of the lead. Lead poisoning
>.... for you can come through handling it, breathing the vapors as you
>liquify it and of course, you pollute the waterways by using it. Lead is
>bad news.

Unless your waterways are extremely acidic, the amount of lead
released by fishing sinkers is so small as to be below the "backround
level". Ever live in a house with water pipes held together by solder?
Thats lead and tin solder btw.
The Romans had elevated levels of lead, because of their practice of
storing very acidic wines in lead vessels. The lumpinproletariat of
the time showed little lead, even though they drank wine as well in
about the same quantities, but the wine was stored in earthen ware
vessels. (and no it didnt come from lead lined aquaducts.....everyone
drank water from those aquaducts, rich and poor.
Under acid conditions, lead will go into solution in small quantities,
in the liguid medium.

Gunner

>rfm
>
>"Mr. TowelHead" <towe...@nyx.com> wrote in message

>> I bought, like, 100 lbs of lead mixed with copper from a gun range, at
>> a ridiculously low price of $6. I want to now melt it, throw the copper
>> away, and make 2-3lbs pieces of relatively pure lead that I could store
>> indefinitely. I want to use the lead mostly for downrigger stuff for
>> fishing. Anyway, my question is, is melting it on a gas stove inside a
>> house a really bad idea, contamination wise? How about storage? I did
>> melt a part of it yesterday and am having second thoughts.

Tulay

Oct 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/3/99

Russell Wiegand wrote:

> One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is arsenic poisoning. Many types
> of lead shot have arsenic mixed with the lead. (Don't remember why).

The arsenic is used to "harden" the lead, i.e. make it less soft. Other
metalsare also used for the same purpose. "Hardened" lead bullets can be fired
from
a gun at a higher velocity than non-hardened lead bullets.

> When
> you melt the lead, you not only can inhale minute amounts of lead, you can
> also be inhaling arsenic vapor which in large quantities can coalesce into
> arsenic in your lungs. I've been melting lead for sinkers and jigs for
> years. Just make sure you've got plenty of ventilation. A powerful fan
> is a very good idea.
> -r-
>
> "Mr. TowelHead" wrote:
>

> > I bought, like, 100 lbs of lead mixed with copper from a gun range, at
> > a ridiculously low price of $6. I want to now melt it, throw the copper
> > away, and make 2-3lbs pieces of relatively pure lead that I could store
> > indefinitely. I want to use the lead mostly for downrigger stuff for
> > fishing. Anyway, my question is, is melting it on a gas stove inside a
> > house a really bad idea, contamination wise? How about storage? I did
> > melt a part of it yesterday and am having second thoughts.

Bruce Rowen

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99

In article <37F72B12...@gte.net>, Tulay <vc...@gte.net> writes:

>Russell Wiegand wrote:
>
>> One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is arsenic poisoning. Many types
>> of lead shot have arsenic mixed with the lead. (Don't remember why).

I think it is primarily a contaminant. No need to try and remove it
so they just leave it alone,

>The arsenic is used to "harden" the lead, i.e. make it less soft. Other
>metalsare also used for the same purpose. "Hardened" lead bullets can be fired
>from
>a gun at a higher velocity than non-hardened lead bullets.

The primary element used to harden lead is antomony. Adding tin does
little to harden the lead but sure improves the castibility by dropping
the surface tension way down. For making fishing sinkers however,
no added work needs to be done, the fish don't care 8^)

-Bruce
Socorro, NM

W. E. Woods

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99

"Mr. TowelHead" wrote:

> I bought, like, 100 lbs of lead mixed with copper from a gun range, at
> a ridiculously low price of $6. I want to now melt it, throw the copper
> away, and make 2-3lbs pieces of relatively pure lead that I could store
> indefinitely. I want to use the lead mostly for downrigger stuff for
> fishing. Anyway, my question is, is melting it on a gas stove inside a
> house a really bad idea, contamination wise?

Don't even think about doing that.

"Remember, a ship in harbor is safe, but that is not
what ships are built for."

"Give me ambiguity or give me something else!"

W. E. Woods

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99

Ralph Mariano wrote:

> Care to do the responsible thing?
>
> Get rid of it. Use something else but get shed of the lead. Lead poisoning
> .... for you can come through handling it, breathing the vapors as you
> liquify it and of course, you pollute the waterways by using it. Lead is
> bad news.

Lead is just fine if handled properly.