Craftsman RoboGrip Pliers

John Galbreath Jr.

Aug 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/14/97
to scou...@mindspring.com

Thomas Gauldin wrote:

> There is always a thread somewhere that bashes Sears for selling
> overpriced, faulty tools that are never as good as the ones they sold
> to Grandpa. I actually subscribe to much of that thought myself, but
> wanted to share my evaluation of one product that exceeded my
> expectations.
>
> Over the past holidays, I was presented with a large and small version
> of the RoboGrip pliers that Sears has marketed so heavily. These are
> the sefl-adjusting pliers that don't "lock" as their RoboLock pliers
> do. They are made of laminated steel that is rivited together and
> have an overall "odd" look and feel.
>
> Now that I've used them on and off over the past 8 months, I can
> honestly say that if I was to loose one of the pliers, I would drive
> straight to Sears and buy another replacement. They actually perform
> as advertised and are a wonderful supplement to any toolbox. The
> single-handed automatic adjustment to any size object works as
> advertiese, and they grip very well. In fact, I prefer to use them
> over the several sizes of "knuckle busters," (Crescent wrenches) that
> I have on my shop wall.
>
> The RoboGrip pliers are NOT intended to replace open ended and box
> ended wrenches, socket set or Channelock pliers, but are a darn good
> substitute to have when neither is readily available. Like any
> pliers, they can chew up a nut, where a good wrench doesn't. However,
> they're more likely to be around in a small tool kit, pickup truck
> tool box or boat when needed than a full set of wrenches.
>
> My next buy at Sears is going to be the RoboLock plier version. Any
> comments on those before I make the purchase?
>
> Tom

Tom. The RoboLocks are great also. You can grab a quarter sideways and
then flat without adjusting and have a lot of pressure either way. The
ONLY complaint I have on the RoboPliars (NON LOCKING) is that they stay
open in the tool box. I want everything neat and I think a locking
device should have been standard.
--
John Galbreath Jr. http://www.ABSCOFireplace.com
ABSCO Fireplace & Patio

Diablerie

Aug 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/14/97

John Galbreath Jr. wrote:

> ONLY complaint I have on the RoboPliars (NON LOCKING) is The that they stay

> open in the tool box. I want everything neat and I think a locking
> device should have been standard.

They do stay shut. Squeeze the handle fully together, apply slight
outside pressure to the jaws and release the handle--the tooth should
lock in place. If that doesn't work then go back to Sears and have one
of the guys show you how to do it...we all how.

XbenX

Brian

Aug 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/14/97

John Galbreath Jr. wrote:

> Thomas Gauldin wrote:
> >
> > My next buy at Sears is going to be the RoboLock plier version. Any
> > comments on those before I make the purchase?
> >
> > Tom
>
> Tom. The RoboLocks are great also. You can grab a quarter sideways and
> then flat without adjusting and have a lot of pressure either way. The
> ONLY complaint I have on the RoboPliars (NON LOCKING) is that they stay

> open in the tool box. I want everything neat and I think a locking
> device should have been standard.
> --
> John Galbreath Jr. http://www.ABSCOFireplace.com
> ABSCO Fireplace & Patio
> Birmingham, Alabama mailto:Jo...@ABSCOFireplace.com

My comments:
The RoboGrips are great pliers, except for when you try grip an item
from the top (ie: in-line with the handle) their contruction allows them
to twist badly when trying to turn a screw/nut/etc in this position.

The RoboLocks are great also. I've been very happy with mine...

To sort of lock the robo grips you can do this:

Grip the pliers so that you have one hand on one grip, and the other
hand on the other grip. Push together and forward. You are trying to
make the ratchet part engage and click forward. When you move the
handles as close/forward as possible, release. If you did it right, the
pliers will stay locked in a 95% closed position. I do this with mine
before I hang them on my pegboard. Works great for me...
--
Brian 'at' Karas 'dot' com
What if there were no hypothetical situations?

Barnhart

Aug 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/14/97

Thomas Gauldin wrote:

> There is always a thread somewhere that bashes Sears for selling
> overpriced, faulty tools that are never as good as the ones they sold
> to Grandpa. . .

I received a pair for Father's Day and have no complaints, works as
advertised. Power tools are another matter though.

Barnhart

Thomas Gauldin

Matthew Dombroski

Aug 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/14/97

In article <33F34876...@karas.com>, Brian <br...@karas.com> wrote:
>John Galbreath Jr. wrote:
>>
>> Thomas Gauldin wrote:

<snip>

> then flat without adjusting and have a lot of pressure either way. The
>> ONLY complaint I have on the RoboPliars (NON LOCKING) is that they stay
>> open in the tool box. I want everything neat and I think a locking
>> device should have been standard.
>> --
>> John Galbreath Jr. http://www.ABSCOFireplace.com
>> ABSCO Fireplace & Patio
>> Birmingham, Alabama mailto:Jo...@ABSCOFireplace.com

<snip>

>To sort of lock the robo grips you can do this:

The instructions to lock the pliars are on the box, grip the pliers closed
(semi-closed....almost closed, actually anywhere in between!) with one hand.
With your other hand, hold the pliars together firmly just below the
adjustable sliding point. Then release your first hand. They usually stay
together. Moreso on a wall than in the toolbox (at least my toolbox).

Matt D

Ted Trost

Aug 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/14/97

What's the difference between RoboGrip and RoboLock?

Is one better than the other or are they made for different situations?
If you could only buy one, which one?

How do they differ from Channelock pliers?

Thanks!
Ted.

George Jefferson

Aug 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/15/97

:Robo Lock are similar to Vise Grips but are self sizing, no more turning
:the screw to get a fit.

I suppose you cant adjust the pressure either(?).

--
george jefferson : geo...@sol1.lrsm.upenn.edu
to reply simply press "r"

Craig Miller

Aug 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/15/97

Robo Lock are similar to Vise Grips but are self sizing, no more turning
the screw to get a fit. Robo Grips are like Channel Locks, but self-sizing.

Craig
cmi...@mnsinc.com

Ted Trost <tr...@winternet.com> wrote in article
<33F3A6C0...@winternet.com>...

Thomas Moorer

Aug 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/15/97

In article <33F330...@ABSCOFireplace.com>, "John Galbreath Jr." <mailto:Jo...@ABSCOFireplace.com> writes:

|> Tom. The RoboLocks are great also. You can grab a quarter sideways and

|> then flat without adjusting and have a lot of pressure either way. The
|> ONLY complaint I have on the RoboPliars (NON LOCKING) is that they stay
|> open in the tool box. I want everything neat and I think a locking
|> device should have been standard.

Try this. With the pliers in the closed position, squeeze the handles just ahead
of the plastic coating on the grips and then release. This should catch the pliers
in the almost closed position. Now, look for another complaint! :)

Christine Sanderson

Aug 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/15/97

Barnhart wrote:

> Thomas Gauldin wrote:
> >
> > There is always a thread somewhere that bashes Sears for selling
> > overpriced, faulty tools that are never as good as the ones they sold
> > to Grandpa. . .
>
> I received a pair for Father's Day and have no complaints, works as
> advertised. Power tools are another matter though.
>
> Barnhart

I bought a bunch of power tools from craftsman last october, I can
honestly say, I think they are great! How come nobody else seems to like
them? What are the problems you have experienced with them. I use the
Versa pack (battery powered) tools.

Chrisitne

Martin H. Eastburn

Aug 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/15/97

George Jefferson wrote:

> :Robo Lock are similar to Vise Grips but are self sizing, no more turning

> :the screw to get a fit.
The thing I don't like about them (I have 3) is the jaw rotates upon
gripping. This 'saws' on the work and bites in with a raking motion.

They do grip - and I suspect they will last some time. My wife has a
small
one in her 'my tools for the house' carry-all tray while I have a mixed
pair that hang over my bench.

I won't grip something that I don't want scratches on with it.
I'll grab them with my greenlee's and apply pressure as wanted.

Martin

HVAC MD

Aug 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/16/97

>>Anyone who knows the difference between a phillips head and >>a channel
>>lock know Sears Craftsman tools are absolute top quality - with a >>top
>>quality warranty!!

Obviously not written by someone who uses tools for a LIVING!

Tim Moore

Aug 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/16/97

In article <33F484...@ptc.com>, Christine Sanderson
<tmpcsa...@ptc.com> wrote:

> I bought a bunch of power tools from craftsman last october, I can
> honestly say, I think they are great! How come nobody else seems to
> like them? What are the problems you have experienced with them. I
> use the Versa pack (battery powered) tools.

Most of us just ignore the people who flame Sears Craftsman tools. We
know some people wouldn't buy anything that grandpa didn't own (I guess
they shop the antique stores when they need a screw driver or a hammer).

Anyone who knows the difference between a phillips head and a channel
lock know Sears Craftsman tools are absolute top quality - with a top

quality warranty!! We just don't say it here enough I guess.

Bill Rubin

Aug 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/17/97
to scou...@mindspring.com

Thomas Gauldin wrote:

> My next buy at Sears is going to be the RoboLock plier version. Any
> comments on those before I make the purchase?

I just wanted to mention that Sears is having an unadvertised sale on
all tools thru Wednesday the 20th, 20% off. It's part of their
"Craftsman Club" which is a free membership deal where you get coupons
and sale announcements thruout the year. I think you get a free
calendar, too. Most of the Craftsman Club sales are not publicly
advertised and you need the circular or your membership card to get the
discount. There's also a kid's club, I've been meaning to sign up my
kids. You can sign up in person at the store and get the discount, I am
sure.

Bill

Diablerie

Aug 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/18/97

Bill Rubin wrote:

> I just wanted to mention that Sears is having an unadvertised sale on
> all tools thru Wednesday the 20th, 20% off. It's part of their
> "Craftsman Club" which is a free membership deal where you get coupons
> and sale announcements thruout the year. I think you get a free

Okay...I want to clear this up before all you idiots start coming in and
whining to me about how you heard it was 20% off thru the 20th. Yes,
some tools are 20% off but don't expect to get that much on any power
tool (10%) or accessory (15%). Also, say that you want to sign up for
the CRAFTSMAN CLUB!!! I'm sick of all you people coming in and saying
"Isn't there a discount for a tool club or something..."

> Bill

Sick of working at Sears...

XbenX

Tim Gillespie

Aug 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/18/97
> Sick of working at Sears...

I don't go off on too many rants, but this guy really got to me. Let's
see, he works at Sears, does his job poorly (judging by the way he
refers to his customers), he's sick of his job,... and he calls *us* the
idiots.

Diablerie

Aug 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/18/97

Kevin Riutort wrote:

> > I don't go off on too many rants, but this guy really got to me. Let's
> > see, he works at Sears, does his job poorly (judging by the way he
> > refers to his customers), he's sick of his job,... and he calls *us* the
> > idiots.

Okay...what I originally posted was just a rant. I was sick of dealing
with problems and complaints. I think people that buy power tools at
Sears are idiots because they obviously haven't done any research to
find out that Sears power tools are junk. I usually try to talk people
into buying the PC or Dewalt but they see the low low pricetag on the
"Craftsman" and jump on that. I personally would never buy ANY
Craftsman power tool again...the only thing worth getting are the Router
Bits and PC's are cheaper.

I do my job well and people that work with me are generally satisfied
customers...I'm just sick of the Craftsman Club thing.

I also don't appreciate being implicated as an idiot. Check out my
e-mail address...Macalester College. Do some research...find out how
smart you have to be to get in there.

Flame bait? Maybe.

XbenX

Tim Gillespie

Aug 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/18/97

Diablerie wrote:

> I also don't appreciate being implicated as an idiot. Check out my
> e-mail address...Macalester College. Do some research...find out how
> smart you have to be to get in there.

You can dish it out but not take it, eh?

> Flame bait? Maybe.

I ain't bitin'

--
This message serves as written notice that solicitations and
advertisements to my e-mail address will not be tolerated.

Kevin Riutort

Aug 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/18/97

--

What's the problem? Sounds like a typical Sears sales guy to me!

Kevin T. Riutort
"To engineer is human."

R2: La Migra

Aug 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/18/97

Be gentle, remember, Sears, like UPS, only hires part-timers...or was that
a rumor I heard somewhere....

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Tim Gillespie wrote:

> I don't go off on too many rants, but this guy really got to me. Let's
> see, he works at Sears, does his job poorly (judging by the way he
> refers to his customers), he's sick of his job,... and he calls *us* the
> idiots.
>
> --

R2: LaMigra
"Some people confuse breathing with living."
Sto Len, ca 1995

Don Sterner

Aug 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/19/97

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997 01:19:13 +0000, Diablerie
<bch...@macalester.edu> wrote:

>Bill Rubin wrote:
>
>> I just wanted to mention that Sears is having an unadvertised sale on
>> all tools thru Wednesday the 20th, 20% off. It's part of their
>> "Craftsman Club" which is a free membership deal where you get coupons
>> and sale announcements thruout the year. I think you get a free
>
>Okay...I want to clear this up before all you idiots start coming in and
>whining to me about how you heard it was 20% off thru the 20th. Yes,
>some tools are 20% off but don't expect to get that much on any power
>tool (10%) or accessory (15%). Also, say that you want to sign up for
>the CRAFTSMAN CLUB!!! I'm sick of all you people coming in and saying
>"Isn't there a discount for a tool club or something..."
>

>> Bill

>Sick of working at Sears...

Well, I may be able to help with the problem you mentioned in
your last sentence. I'll send a copy of your post to the store
manager in Cedar Rapids. Hopefully, he can figure out which of
HIS idiots thinks all potential customers are idiots. You may
just find that he's just as sick of you as you are of your
customers.

Anything to help, Bill.
d.

Bill Rubin

Aug 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/19/97

Diablerie wrote:

> I think people that buy power tools at
> Sears are idiots because they obviously haven't done any research to
> find out that Sears power tools are junk. I usually try to talk people
> into buying the PC or Dewalt but they see the low low pricetag on the
> "Craftsman" and jump on that. I personally would never buy ANY
> Craftsman power tool again...the only thing worth getting are the Router
> Bits and PC's are cheaper.
>
> I do my job well and people that work with me are generally satisfied
> customers...I'm just sick of the Craftsman Club thing.

Well, I was the one who posted the stuff about the sale, and it was in
response to the robogrip pliers, and I do believe that non-power tools
are 20% off. This sale circular was rather difficult to comprehend, so I
can see that you'd be upset. I hope that you didn't get too many people
coming into your store after they saw my post and thought that all power
tools were on sale :-). The fact is, however, the these robo type pliers
do not generally go on sale, so 20% off is a great deal.

Bill (still haven't gotten to Sears.. maybe Tuesday)

Christine Sanderson

Aug 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/19/97
to bch...@macalester.edu

Hey, I bought some power tools at sears, and I like them. They do what I
want them to do, and they didn't break. I also know that I most likley
don't do as many "big" jobs as you guys seem to. I do little repair jobs
around my new house, and honestly, Im quite proud of what I have done. I
like craftsman power tools because they are lighter than the other ones,
and If I am going to spend 4 hours trying to hang up some cabinets, then,
in my opinion, the lighter the better! What Im getting at, is for the
person who is only doing small stuff, or for a person who is buying thier
first set of tools, the craftsman power tools are just fine. If I break
them, Id rather break a 20$ cordless screw driver, than a 50$ one. Keep
that in mind, before you show your customer's the higher quality, higher
price items. For what I do, the battery operated tools from craftsman
are perfect.

Christine Sanderson,

BTW, I bought craftsman tools, and am not now, and never will be an
idiot.

Diablerie wrote:

> Kevin Riutort wrote:
> >
> > > I don't go off on too many rants, but this guy really got to me. Let's
> > > see, he works at Sears, does his job poorly (judging by the way he
> > > refers to his customers), he's sick of his job,... and he calls *us* the
> > > idiots.
>

> Okay...what I originally posted was just a rant. I was sick of dealing

> with problems and complaints. I think people that buy power tools at

> Sears are idiots because they obviously haven't done any research to
> find out that Sears power tools are junk. I usually try to talk people
> into buying the PC or Dewalt but they see the low low pricetag on the
> "Craftsman" and jump on that. I personally would never buy ANY
> Craftsman power tool again...the only thing worth getting are the Router
> Bits and PC's are cheaper.
>
> I do my job well and people that work with me are generally satisfied
> customers...I'm just sick of the Craftsman Club thing.
>

> I also don't appreciate being implicated as an idiot. Check out my
> e-mail address...Macalester College. Do some research...find out how
> smart you have to be to get in there.
>

> Flame bait? Maybe.
>
> XbenX

Matt Verrochi

Aug 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/19/97

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997 01:19:13 +0000, Diablerie <bch...@macalester.edu> wrote:

<snip>

>Okay...I want to clear this up before all you idiots

<Shithead filter activated>

Were not all idiots and many of us, are not on the idiot side of the counter
buddy.

>I'm sick of all you people coming in and saying
>"Isn't there a discount for a tool club or something..."

<MORE BS ELIMINATED>

>Sick of working at Sears...

Then quit your job and get one as a rocket scientist if *we're* idiots.

Matt

Verrochi_AT_tiac_DOT_net

RC Cars, Parts and Equipment for sale at:
http://www.tiac.net/users/verrochi/RCSALE.htm

Hey, E-mail spammers - send some to the FCC !!

Chairman Reed Hundt: rhu...@fcc.gov
Commissioner James Quello: jqu...@fcc.gov
Commissioner Susan Ness: sn...@fcc.gov
Commissioner Rachelle Chong: rch...@fcc.gov

Soon to come here: the address of every spammer who ever hit my name. Circular spamming.

Matt Verrochi

Aug 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/19/97

On 16 Aug 1997 13:42:36 GMT, tmo...@erols.com (Tim Moore) wrote:

>In article <33F484...@ptc.com>, Christine Sanderson
><tmpcsa...@ptc.com> wrote:
>
>> I bought a bunch of power tools from craftsman last october, I can
>> honestly say, I think they are great! How come nobody else seems to
>> like them? What are the problems you have experienced with them. I
>> use the Versa pack (battery powered) tools.

Versa Pak is really Black and Decker and actually cheaper if you get it
someplace else under the B & D name.

I have a box full of Craftsman hand tools and with the exception of a pipe on a
3/8 ratchet (before I bought a 1.2 drive set), I've NEVER broken or had a
problem with them.

I can tell you if they bust my cookies about a ratchet in the future, one that
said LIFETIME WARRANTY when I bought it, not only will I march on down to Home
Depot to trade it in for a Husky, who also has a liffetime warranty, but I'll
make sure EVERYBODY IN THE STORE KNOWS ABOUT IT !!!

They'll wish they'd have given me the ratchet.

mm

Aug 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/19/97

Don Sterner wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Aug 1997 01:19:13 +0000, Diablerie
> <bch...@macalester.edu> wrote:
>
> >Bill Rubin wrote:
> >
> >> I just wanted to mention that Sears is having an unadvertised sale on
> >> all tools thru Wednesday the 20th, 20% off. It's part of their
> >> "Craftsman Club" which is a free membership deal where you get coupons
> >> and sale announcements thruout the year. I think you get a free
> >
> >Okay...I want to clear this up before all you idiots start coming in and
> >whining to me about how you heard it was 20% off thru the 20th. Yes,
> >some tools are 20% off but don't expect to get that much on any power
> >tool (10%) or accessory (15%). Also, say that you want to sign up for
> >the CRAFTSMAN CLUB!!! I'm sick of all you people coming in and saying

> >"Isn't there a discount for a tool club or something..."
> >
> >> Bill

> >Sick of working at Sears...
>
> Well, I may be able to help with the problem you mentioned in
> your last sentence. I'll send a copy of your post to the store
> manager in Cedar Rapids. Hopefully, he can figure out which of
> HIS idiots thinks all potential customers are idiots. You may
> just find that he's just as sick of you as you are of your
> customers.
>
> Anything to help, Bill.
> d.

Don,

Before you do anything rash, go back a few posts-- I believe the person
"sick of working at Sears" signed the post as "xBenx", not Bill.

Also, be advised that "Ben" or whatever his name is, might not even work
for Sears. It's possible that he does not like Sears, and he is posing
as a Sears employee in order to intentionally generate a long negative
thread regarding Sears. Anybody that posts something so negative about
their employer is either an imposter or is on the verge of quitting
anyway.

-mm

Morrison

Aug 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/19/97

Diablerie wrote:

> Kevin Riutort wrote:
> >
> > > I don't go off on too many rants, but this guy really got to me. Let's
> > > see, he works at Sears, does his job poorly (judging by the way he
> > > refers to his customers), he's sick of his job,... and he calls *us* the
> > > idiots.
>
> Okay...what I originally posted was just a rant. I was sick of dealing
> with problems and complaints. I think people that buy power tools at
> Sears are idiots because they obviously haven't done any research to
> find out that Sears power tools are junk. I usually try to talk people
> into buying the PC or Dewalt but they see the low low pricetag on the
> "Craftsman" and jump on that. I personally would never buy ANY
> Craftsman power tool again...the only thing worth getting are the Router
> Bits and PC's are cheaper.
>
> I do my job well and people that work with me are generally satisfied
> customers...I'm just sick of the Craftsman Club thing.
>
> I also don't appreciate being implicated as an idiot. Check out my
> e-mail address...Macalester College. Do some research...find out how
> smart you have to be to get in there.
>
> Flame bait? Maybe.
>
> XbenX

I suspect there must be some minimum arrogance quotant requirement as
well.
Ken

Thomas Gauldin

Aug 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/19/97

Bill Rubin <bill...@prodigy.net> wrote:

Bill, I was the one who kicked the hornet's nest by stating in the
first article that I had purchased and really appreciated the Sears
RoboGrip pliers. I then asked about comments on the RoboLock pliers.

Following up on your tip, I visited our local Sears store to buy the
small and large incarnations of the RoboLock pliers.

There, on display, were individual packs of the small or large pliers
for $19 and $29 respectiverly. By the checkout counter was a "Special
BUY" double pack of BOTH marked $29. I then asked for the Craftsman's
Club discount and the final price was reduced by 20%.

The two pliers are now at home, have been played with and I deem them
to be of good design and anticipate that they will have a place in my
toolbox.

Thanks for saving me some money.

Tom

Bill Rubin

Aug 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/20/97

mm wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Aug 1997 01:19:13 +0000, Diablerie <bch...@macalester.edu> wrote:
> > Okay...I want to clear this up before all you idiots start coming in and
> > whining to me about how you heard it was 20% off thru the 20th. Yes,
> > some tools are 20% off but don't expect to get that much on any power
> > tool (10%) or accessory (15%). Also, say that you want to sign up for
> > the CRAFTSMAN CLUB!!! I'm sick of all you people coming in and saying
> > "Isn't there a discount for a tool club or something..."
>
> Before you do anything rash, go back a few posts-- I believe the person
> "sick of working at Sears" signed the post as "xBenx", not Bill.

Thank you for point that out, I was the one who posted about the sale!

> Also, be advised that "Ben" or whatever his name is, might not even work
> for Sears. It's possible that he does not like Sears, and he is posing
> as a Sears employee in order to intentionally generate a long negative
> thread regarding Sears. Anybody that posts something so negative about
> their employer is either an imposter or is on the verge of quitting
> anyway.

I know there are people who dislike Sears here, but from his posting
above it does seem that he's an employee since he knew about the
specifics of the sale.
On the other hand, if he were a TRUE Sears employee, he wouldn't know
about it until you came in with the sale circular :-).

Bill

Dave Lord

Aug 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/20/97

Really? How smart do you have to be to make derogatory
comments about your employer and insult your customers
in a public forum? Not very. (-:

Bill Rubin

Aug 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/20/97

Thomas Gauldin wrote:

> Bill, I was the one who kicked the hornet's nest by stating in the
> first article that I had purchased and really appreciated the Sears
> RoboGrip pliers. I then asked about comments on the RoboLock pliers.
>
> Following up on your tip, I visited our local Sears store to buy the
> small and large incarnations of the RoboLock pliers.
>
> There, on display, were individual packs of the small or large pliers
> for $19 and $29 respectiverly. By the checkout counter was a "Special
> BUY" double pack of BOTH marked $29. I then asked for the Craftsman's
> Club discount and the final price was reduced by 20%.

Well, I figured I should post this since I was the one who posted the
sale info in the first place. I stopped by my local Sears tonight to buy
the aforementioned 2 pack of Robolock pliers. First thing I noticed is
that at my store the 2 packs of Robogrip and Autolock (there is no
Robolock) are $39.99 for the set, not $29.99. So, after trying to figure
out if I really need the Autolock models (I already have the Robogrips)
I figured what the heck, I'll buy it. The salesman kid was nice enough,
I told him I had the Craftsman Club sale circular, he said no problem.
He scanned the item, and it did not ring up on sale. I showed him the
ad. He said if it's included in the sale it would be ringing up at 20%
off. I asked why he couldn't just mark it down 20% given what the
circular said, he said he'd done that earlier and gotten in trouble for
it and wasn't doing it again. I also asked if there was someone else to
talk to and he said if the register didn't ring it up on sale it's not
on sale. I told him if that was the case then I wasn't buying them and
left. I don't think he cared (surprise).

I have not had really bad experiences in the past with Sears, but I
guess there is always a first time. Fortunately, I didn't really need
these tools, otherwise I would have put up a bigger fight.

Bill

A.E.B.

Aug 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/20/97

> > Also, be advised that "Ben" or whatever his name is, might not even work
> > for Sears. It's possible that he does not like Sears, and he is posing
> > as a Sears employee in order to intentionally generate a long negative
> > thread regarding Sears. Anybody that posts something so negative about
> > their employer is either an imposter or is on the verge of quitting
> > anyway.

Surely no one (in their right mind) would incite a long negative thread
about Swears and Rarback would they?

> On the other hand, if he were a TRUE Sears employee, he wouldn't know
> about it until you came in with the sale circular :-).

Good point!

bubba
--
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the
pig.

William Kucharski

Aug 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/20/97

While reading article <5tc1kd$lt$0...@204.179.92.196>, I noticed that
Morrison <morr...@magpage.com> said the following:

>> Okay...what I originally posted was just a rant. I was sick of dealing
>> with problems and complaints. I think people that buy power tools at
>> Sears are idiots because they obviously haven't done any research to
>> find out that Sears power tools are junk. I usually try to talk people
>> into buying the PC or Dewalt but they see the low low pricetag on the
>> "Craftsman" and jump on that. I personally would never buy ANY
>> Craftsman power tool again...the only thing worth getting are the Router
>> Bits and PC's are cheaper.

Yep, that Craftsman rotary tool sure is junk (a relabeled Dremel), as is that
Cratfsman electric impact wrench (it's a DeWalt.)

Many "idiots" who HAVE done research have discovered that Craftsman power
tools are made by many "label" companies but can often be had cheaper than the
EXACT SAME brand name models due in part to Craftsman Club sales...
--
| William Kucharski | Opinions expressed herein
| Internet: kuch...@netcom.com | are MINE alone, NOT those of
| Ham: N0OKQ | of NETCOM.
| President, "Just the Ten of Us" Fan Club | "Dittos from Louisville, CO"

Adam Whiteson

Aug 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/21/97

Christine Sanderson wrote:

> My usage is light, compared to what your doing I bet. But..my little
> screwdriver made it easier to put up some cabinets. The little battery
> powered saw did a real good job cutting wall board to fix a hole. I will
> admit, I could have used something a little more powerfull cutting the
> hole in the counter top for my sink. It took 2 days! I think I was
> using a jigsaw.

Two days?! I assume you are exaggerating? You could have gnawed thru
the counter with your teeth in less time.

> > As with anything else, you get what you pay for.

Well, you usually pay for what you get but you often don't get what you
paid for.

My complaint against Crafstman is that they are overpriced for their
quality. There is a place for 2nd and even 3rd rate tools but the price
should match the quality. Also, Craftsman used to make decent tools
and many people feel let down by a name that once meant quality and has
now come to mean 2nd rate.

Adam

+ Adam Whiteson <whi...@ibm.net> +

Ruth Anne Francis

Aug 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/21/97

In article <33FCC5...@ptc.com>,
Christine Sanderson <tmpcsa...@ptc.com> wrote:
>> Christine:
> Mnay of us have
>> found out the hard way that you can either buy the cheap tools many
>> times or buy the good ones once. Additionally most of us require more
>> precision oout of our tools than the household DIYer. The cheap tools
>> are just not up to the task. One of the reason that Black & Decker
>> Do *you* need a $300 circular saw (Are there $300 circular saws?)?
>> Probably not. But, it was after my second $40 circular saw that I
>> realized that as better one was in order for my next purchase.
>> Yes, but, you managed to break it, I havn't. Mabey someday I will get to
>the point where it is necessary for me to buy stronger tools... Then
>again, mabey my house will stop developing problems.
>> As with anything else, you get what you pay for.
>Ill agree with that, my thing is, don't buy more than you need.

I find that more often than not, I can't get by with the cheap tools. I
don't do a lot of projects, nothing that could be considered
anywhere near professional, but I have run into some problems that have
put my cheaper tools to the test and they have failed.
Just last weekend there was a problem with the shower in the building
where I was staying. I had some of my Stanley screwdrivers (I don't
consider them cheap) with me and used them to try to get the screws off
the face plate for the water control knob. One of the screws was
stripped. I couldn't get it out and my friend bent the screwdriver up
pretty badly trying. The screw driver will never be the same and I will
have to replace it next time I get a chance (probably with Craftsman, at
least they have a lifetime warranety). Anything cheaper wouldn't have
got the job done, this one barely did.

I've also worked with cheap power tools and I hate them. I hate not
having enough power to get a job done or having the material be eaten up
because of a bad tool.

I'm not advocating buying the top of the line model if you're not going
to be doing professional stuff, but get something well made with a good
warranty and the best that you can afford. It will make things easier,
and safer in the future.

That's the strategy that I used when I bought my drill two years ago. I
looked into a bunch of different models and finally settled on the
bottom of the line DeWalt. It cost more than I had originally hoped to
pay, but I have never been let down because of it. I've found that
there have been some jobs that were bigger than I thought I would ever
end up doing and was very glad that I had spent the money to get the
better tool.

I will continue to do buy tools this way and hopefully sometime in the
not too distant future have a full set of good, quality tools. (Also,
to help defer the cost, ask for good tools for presents. That's what I
do and my parents are more than happy to oblige. I also am working on
setting a friend of mine up with a set of quality tools by giving him
them as gifts.)

Ruth Ann
Don't buy cheap tools.

--
Ruth Ann Francis - A Misplaced Michigander at Georgia Tech
Georgia Tech - AE Senior. Gulfstream Aerospace Co-op.

Christine Sanderson

Aug 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/22/97
to De...@tospammers.com

Adam Whiteson wrote:

> Christine Sanderson wrote: I will

> > admit, I could have used something a little more powerfull cutting the
> > hole in the counter top for my sink. It took 2 days! I think I was
> > using a jigsaw.
>
> Two days?! I assume you are exaggerating? You could have gnawed thru
> the counter with your teeth in less time.

Actually no, at that time, I only had 2 batteries, and I had to go and
recharge them a couple of times. Now I have 6 batteries, so It won't
happen again.

A. P. Baj orinas

Aug 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/22/97

Thus spoke tmo...@erols.com (Tim Moore):

]Most of us just ignore the people who flame Sears Craftsman tools. We

]know some people wouldn't buy anything that grandpa didn't own (I guess
]they shop the antique stores when they need a screw driver or a hammer).
]Anyone who knows the difference between a phillips head and a channel
]lock know Sears Craftsman tools are absolute top quality - with a top
]quality warranty!! We just don't say it here enough I guess.

I had NO preconceived notions about Sears tools when I bought mine. I
was new to woodworking and bought Sears expecting the best due to
their hand tool warranty. Heck, my grandfather DID own craftsman
everything.

What did I learn when I bought craftsman power tools (or got them as
gifts)?

Well....

1) My sears drill had bushings, not bearings. Total piece of junk.
When it wore out (quickly) I replaced it with a CHEAPER one from
another brand and that one is far better. It has externally accessible
brushes, REAL bearings, and just plain works better.

2) My craftsman router was so bad at holding an adjustment I thought
maybe I was just not destined to be a wood worker. Then I borrowed a
friend's PC router. Wow! I really can operate a router, the Craftsman
just sucks. The craftsman just wandered.

3) The same craftsman router has the collet (the piece that hold the
bit) cut right in to the shaft! The collet is a wear item! When the
collet wears it's all over, you have to replace the motor shaft! Now,
on ANY other router from ANY other maker, this is just a cheap little
replacement part. Not on my craftsman.

Yes, I think I have given Sear Craftsman power tools a fair shake. I
have given them several chances. I had a preconceived notion that I
would like them. Despite all that I have FINALLY learned my lesson. I
wait until I can afford a real power tool or I learn to do it by
<gasp> hand.

Andrew P. Bajorinas

| Andrew P. Bajorinas | These opinions are my own and |
| Bajo...@Perkin-Elmer.NOSPAM.com| not those of my employer. |
| God bless those pagans. (Homer Simpson) |
|____________________________________________________________________________|

My return address is mangled to reduce spam.

George Jefferson

Aug 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/22/97

:By the way, about Dremel tool, I looked at the "Craftman" branded
:Dremel at sears and basic line powered tool kit cost over 120 CDN and
:at my local private hardware in downtown can be specially ordered from
:catalog exact same one for 70 CDN.

actually, you can generally order things from *sears* for cheaper
than the store price (including the shipping charge).

one of many things that burns me up about that store.

I have no problem with the quality, but I dont set foot in
there unless I need a specialty thing that I cant get elsewhere.

--
george jefferson : geo...@sol1.lrsm.upenn.edu
to reply simply press "r"
-- I hate editing addresses more than I hate the spam!

A.E.B.

Aug 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/23/97

Christine Sanderson wrote:

> Actually no, at that time, I only had 2 batteries, and I had to go and
> recharge them a couple of times. Now I have 6 batteries, so It won't
> happen again.

But only if you keep them all fully charged to capacity at all times.

bubba

--
Sex on the Web? How else do we get baby spiders?

Christine Sanderson

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97

Last night on TV, I saw a comercial about some craftsman ratchet
wrenches. I think it was Bob Villa who was selling them. They are
wrenches, that have a little notch in them. You use them in places
where you need a ratchet, but only a wrench will fit.

Are these worth it? I think it was 20$ + shipping and handeling for a
set of 6.

I was thinking of getting a set for christmas for my DH. They come with
the craftsman life time warenty, but are not sold in stores... so my
question is, if he breaks one, how do we get a new one?

Christine

Jim Nelson wrote:

> This Sears Craftsman thread is never going to die, is it...

I hope not... I have learned a lot from it.

Thomas Gauldin

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97

Unless I'm mistaken, the wrenches are in our local Sears store here in
Raleigh, and I was looking them over last week. They're a box end
wrench, but with a relief in the end that permits you to disengage the
nut to move the wrench- about like a ratchet once you get yourself
"trained."

They looked OK to me, but seemed a bit too pricey for my own use.

Tom

Christine Sanderson

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97

> Hi Bruce,

I have recieved many letters on craftsman POWER tools, but nobody had
anything negitive to say about the regular tools. I have never heard of
any brand's besides craftsman that had the life time gaurentee. I
always thought people who broke thier tools were abusing them. Don't
most tools last a long time, as long as you take care of them? Im not
rough on my tools, (most likley because Im a novice) but I do manage to
strip screwdrivers a lot. Buying craftsman screwdrivers has saved me
lots of money, because when I bought the cheep ones (1$ each) I would
usualy strip them after 1 or 2 usages.

As far as the wrenches I am talking about that I saw on TV, I think
they may be kind of unique.

As a side note, what do you think of the tools that you can buy in
Brookstone's? Are they good quality?

Christine

> Christine, you're learning the wrong things if you've "learned a lot"
> and are
> still considering buying your DH craftsman tools.
>
> *ANY* reputable tool manufacturer has a lifetime handtool replacement
> warrenty.
> The difference between a craftsman and a snapon is that the craftsman
> is *far*
> more likely to break under normal usage (and invariably in the middle
> of a
> brake job, late sunday night, when you have an important meeting
> Monday morning
> and your SO is out of town with the other car...)
>
> Bruce

Mitch Berkson

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97
to Christine Sanderson

I've seen them sold in Sears stores.

Consumer Reports mentioned them in this month's issue. They thought
that they were useful.

Mitch Berkson

Christine Sanderson wrote:

> Last night on TV, I saw a comercial about some craftsman ratchet
> wrenches. I think it was Bob Villa who was selling them. They are
> wrenches, that have a little notch in them. You use them in places
> where you need a ratchet, but only a wrench will fit.

Jim Sokoloff

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97
to Christine Sanderson

Christine Sanderson wrote:

> Last night on TV, I saw a comercial about some craftsman ratchet
> wrenches. I think it was Bob Villa who was selling them. They are
> wrenches, that have a little notch in them. You use them in places
> where you need a ratchet, but only a wrench will fit.
>
> Are these worth it? I think it was 20$ + shipping and handeling for a
> set of 6.
>
> I was thinking of getting a set for christmas for my DH. They come with
> the craftsman life time warenty, but are not sold in stores... so my
> question is, if he breaks one, how do we get a new one?

They are sold in Sears stores. They arrived at my local Sears about a
week ago. So, I imagine they're on the way.

I looked them over, and decided that I'd probably buy a set sometime,
but you should damn well have a regular set of wrenches, long and short
pattern and a full set of sockets before adding these to the old tool
chest. (In other words, they might be "nice" to have, but they sort
pretty low on the list of useful tools I think.)

---Jim

bow...@eisner.decus.org

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97

Christine Sanderson <tmpcsa...@ptc.com> writes:

> I have recieved many letters on craftsman POWER tools, but nobody had
> anything negitive to say about the regular tools. I have never heard of
> any brand's besides craftsman that had the life time gaurentee.

SnapOn for one...

> always thought people who broke thier tools were abusing them. Don't
> most tools last a long time, as long as you take care of them?

I don't think I'm rough on them eaither but at least once a year I bust a
socket or mangle the end of a screwdriver. I generally need that size socket
to finish what I'm working on. If the tool was a craftsman I toss it in a
bucket and go to the local hardware store and buy another one. The next time
I'm going near a sears (the nearest is a 45-50 minute drive) I take the bucket
and get new stuff (for free). I've never had a problem getting them to honor
the warrenty (even when a tool has obviously been mis-used, like the craftsman
ax head I found at the dump that someone must have left in a fire. Yep, took
it back to sears, got a new ax and didn't pay a cent...)

>Im not
> rough on my tools, (most likley because Im a novice) but I do manage to
> strip screwdrivers a lot.

If you strip screwdrivers alot, then you're using the wrong sized screwdriver.

>Buying craftsman screwdrivers has saved me
> lots of money, because when I bought the cheep ones (1$ each) I would
> usualy strip them after 1 or 2 usages.

And buying a good brand of screwdriver would have saved you money too. I'm not
saying craftsman tools are like the $0.99 for a set of 6 screwdrivers you can
get at (insert favorite discount store here). I'm saying they're not as good
as some other brands of tools, like SnapOn tools (I have no relationship with
SnapOn, other than as occasional satisfied customer).

> As far as the wrenches I am talking about that I saw on TV, I think
> they may be kind of unique.

Yep, they sure are unique and I'll bet they don't work worth a damn for a nut
that's rusted in place...

> As a side note, what do you think of the tools that you can buy in
> Brookstone's? Are they good quality?

*GROSSLY* overpriced and probably not all that good (I haven't really looked at
them since the nearest brookstone store is 3 hours away.

Bruce

Howard Acheson

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97

Christine Sanderson wrote:

> As far as the wrenches I am talking about that I saw on TV, I think
> they may be kind of unique.
The Sears Craftsman line of hand tools have always been-and continue to
be-an excellent value. Professional tools such as SnapOn, Mac, Matco,
etc are only justified if you are a professional or particularly well
heeled.

That said, you can go into any Sears store and they will arrange a
replacement for the tool you are considering.

--
Howie..........

Tim Arheit

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97

On Thu, 28 Aug 1997 12:58:04 GMT, bow...@eisner.decus.org wrote:

>In article <340599F6...@ptc.com>, Christine Sanderson <tmpcsa...@ptc.com> writes:
>*ANY* reputable tool manufacturer has a lifetime handtool replacement warrenty.

Yes, but most reputable tool manufacturer's give a lifetime handtool
replacement warrenty against _factory_defects_. But craftsman gives
a lifetime handtool replacement warrenty against both factory defects
_and_ normal wear and tear (anything short of outright abuse).

(Note also, normally handtools where the blade is replaceable the
blade itself is not covered under the wear and tear warranty.
However, on some tools such as the coping saw, the blade is covered.)

>The difference between a craftsman and a snapon is that the craftsman is *far*
>more likely to break under normal usage

Another difference is that It's much harder to get the snapon dealer
to replace a worn out tool (I've also heard many complaints about
this, but that could be just a bad local dealer), but I've never had a
problem with Sears replacing a handtool.

You do have to watch when buying Sears/Craftsman though since they
don't really make there own tools. Sometimes they are identical to
the name brand that makes them (Ex. Craftsman paint guns are identical
to Devillis models, Craftsman rotory tools are identical to Dremel,
etc..), Sometimes they vary only by cosmetic effects, and sometimes
they are an inferior, or better models than the manufacturors own name
brand.

Buyer beware :)

-Tim

Matt D

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97

And just where can I buy a Snap-on? or most of the other brands you Craftsman
bashers tout? I can get a Craftsman wrench in any of the 3 Sears stores around
where I work and live. I am always within 15 minutes of a Sears.

I have used and abused Craftsman hand tools as often as anybody, when they
break I walk in and get a new one...no hassles.

If a person is striping or breaking ratchets then he is using the wrong tool
for the wrong job....oh sure we have all done it.....but the point is, next
time, use a breaker bar on that locked nut and you won't break your ratchet
and you won't have to drive ANYWHERE whether it is to your Snap-on or your
Craftsman dealer to get a new one.

Tired of rehashing this point in this thread,
Matt D

In article <34088215.5899659@news>, m...@NOSPORKtika.on.ca (Mike from Ottawa)
wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Aug 1997 08:32:06 -0700, Christine Sanderson
><tmpcsa...@ptc.com> wrote:
>
>>Last night on TV, I saw a comercial about some craftsman ratchet
>>wrenches. I think it was Bob Villa who was selling them. They are
>>wrenches, that have a little notch in them. You use them in places
>>where you need a ratchet, but only a wrench will fit.
>>
>>Are these worth it? I think it was 20$ + shipping and handeling for a
>>set of 6.
>>
>>I was thinking of getting a set for christmas for my DH. They come with
>>the craftsman life time warenty, but are not sold in stores... so my
>>question is, if he breaks one, how do we get a new one?
>>

>>Christine
><snip>
>Christine:
>
>Yup, this has been discussed before, assuming that this is the same
>Craftsman that is carried by Sears. When my Craftsman wrench broke, I
>wandered into my Sears store believing (foolishly) that the warranty
>would guarantee me a new wrench. They gave me a kit with a number of
>small parts. I was very pissed off, went home, fiddled with all the
>tiny bits and pieces, repaired my wrench, all the while cursing Sears
>and vowing never to buy another tool from them again.
>
>You'd be better off buying some other wrench set with a "real"
>warranty.

>DAMN ALL SPAM!!
>To send me an e-mail, remove NOSPORK in my address.

Jim Sokoloff

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97

Mike from Ottawa wrote:

> I would buy Craftsman tools again, as long
> as there are no moving parts in it (screwdrivers, crescent wrenches,
> etc). And that's a personal bias based on a bad experience.

All of my crescent wrenches have moving parts in them...

---Jim

Tom Corey

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97
to Christine Sanderson

Christine,
While it is true that Craftsman power tools do indeed suck, The
mechanics hand tools aren't bad. There are better, Snap-On and Mac to
name 2, but the are more money. I have found Craftsman wrenches and the
like to be good enough for what I do but I don't earn my living with
them. I do earn my living working on electronics and wouldn't use
Craftsman tools for that because they just aren't good enough.
--
Tom Corey
to reply remove "nojunk" from address

Art .

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97

bow...@eisner.decus.org wrote:

> In article <340599F6...@ptc.com>, Christine Sanderson <tmpcsa...@ptc.com> writes:
> > Last night on TV, I saw a comercial about some craftsman ratchet
> > wrenches. I think it was Bob Villa who was selling them. They are
> > wrenches, that have a little notch in them. You use them in places
> > where you need a ratchet, but only a wrench will fit.
> >
> > Are these worth it? I think it was 20$ + shipping and handeling for a
> > set of 6.
> >
> > I was thinking of getting a set for christmas for my DH. They come with
> > the craftsman life time warenty, but are not sold in stores... so my
> > question is, if he breaks one, how do we get a new one?
> >
> > Christine
> >

> > Jim Nelson wrote:
> >
> >> This Sears Craftsman thread is never going to die, is it...
> >
> > I hope not... I have learned a lot from it.
>
> Christine, you're learning the wrong things if you've "learned a lot" and are
> still considering buying your DH craftsman tools.
>
> *ANY* reputable tool manufacturer has a lifetime handtool replacement warrenty.
> The difference between a craftsman and a snapon is that the craftsman is *far*
> more likely to break under normal usage (and invariably in the middle of a
> brake job, late sunday night, when you have an important meeting Monday morning
> and your SO is out of town with the other car...)
>
> Bruce

Snap-on makes great tools, but the they also have a great price--meaning
expensive. And then you have to hope you can find the truck when you
break one of their tools.

I've used Craftsman hand tools for many years and I've only broken one
socket in that time--it was a 3/8" drive by 18mm. It was recently,
while I was helping my son repair brakes on an '87 Plymouth Horizon. We
needed to remove two bolts holding the brake caliper on. Using a 3/8 to
1/2 inch adaptor. the bolts wouldn'n budge. Tried using an impact
wrench with, reportedly, a 150 ft. lbs rating. Still didn't budge. Got
out the 1/2" breaker bar with an 18" length of pipe and it still didn't
budge. Got out a 3/4" drive breaker bar, added the 3/4 to 1/2 adaptor
and then added the 1/2 to 3/8 adaptor, and then added the 18" pipe
extension. Got one bolt loose before the socket broke. I think thats
unbelieveable strength from a 3/8" inch Craftsman socket. Took it back
to Sears and they replaced it. I then bought a Craftsman 1/2" drive by
18mm and had no trouble removing the other three bolts.

For the money, you can't beat Sears Craftsman hand tools.

If don't want craftsman, and you're interested in a lifetime warrenty,
try Home Depot, they give one with their Husky line of tools. And
they're reasonably priced as well.

If you're a professional mechanic, Snap-On makes sense and they come to
you. I'd rather spend the extra money on woodworking gear.

Art

R2: La Migra

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97
to Christine Sanderson

I saw them at Sears last week, I vaguely recall that the price may have
been $20 the set. The display had a dummy bolt (won't tighten, but gives
resistance) that you could "test-drive" one wrench on. Seemed to work
well and would be good for those jobs where there isn't any clearance for
a ratchet.

On Thu, 28 Aug 1997, Christine Sanderson wrote:

> Last night on TV, I saw a comercial about some craftsman ratchet
> wrenches.

<SNIP>

HVAC MD

Aug 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/29/97

>>>And just where can I buy a Snap-on? or most of the other brands you
Craftsman
bashers tout?

You can buy Klein tools at any electrical supply house. These are what the
pros use. Lifetime warrantee too. They put the Craftsman junk to shame.

R2: La Migra

Aug 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/29/97

On Thu, 28 Aug 1997, Tom Corey wrote:

> Christine Sanderson wrote:
> > I was thinking of getting a set for christmas for my DH.
>

> Not to be smart or anything but, DH? Designated Hitter?
> --
> Tom Corey

Maybe Dog Handler?

Just the Vietnam Vet coming out...

R2: LaMigra
"Some people confuse breathing with living."
Sto Len, ca 1995

David Gersic

Aug 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/30/97

In <340599F6...@ptc.com>, Christine Sanderson <tmpcsa...@ptc.com> writes:
>Last night on TV, I saw a comercial about some craftsman ratchet
>wrenches. I think it was Bob Villa who was selling them. They are
>wrenches, that have a little notch in them. You use them in places
>where you need a ratchet, but only a wrench will fit.
>
>Are these worth it? I think it was 20$ + shipping and handeling for a
>set of 6.

When I was a kid, my dad had some similar wrenches, so that Sears is
selling them as a "new" idea had me laughing.

Other than that, from what I remember, the trick does work, though the
wrench is not as strong due to the removed metal, and doesn't grip as well.
I wouldn't use one to break something loose, but once loose, they can be
useful if you don't have the clearance for a ratchet/socket, or a
ratcheting box-end wrench.

Personally, I'm suspicious of anything Bob is hawking.

| |
|David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
|Systems Programmer Northern Illinois University |
| |
| Don't be irreplacable. If you can't be replaced you can't be promoted. |
| |
|I'm tired of receiving crap in my mailbox, so the E-mail address has been|
|munged to foil the junkmail bots. Humans will figure it out on their own.|

Dan Warren

Aug 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/30/97

In article <3405D16C...@ptc.com>, Christine Sanderson <tmpcsa...@ptc.com> wrote:
>> Hi Bruce,

>I have recieved many letters on craftsman POWER tools, but nobody had
>anything negitive to say about the regular tools.

Had a Crafstman power screwdriver. The foward/reverse rocker switch broke.
Do you think Sears had a replacemnt part.....NO. Had to trow the whole thing
out because the plastic rocker broke.

Now I have a B&D.

_
(_) Daniel Warren, RPh
_______// Marion NY
(________) Clinical Staff Pharmacist - Strong Memorial Hospital
\ / dwa...@frontiernet.net
| Rx |
/______\
(________)

Diablerie

Aug 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/30/97

David Gersic wrote:

> Personally, I'm suspicious of anything Bob is hawking.

See, that's the difference between you and me. You're suspicious of
what Bob hawks, and I just flat out hate Bob. Watching TOH and it's
syndicated incarnation "Renovation Guide" on TLC makes me hate this guy
for a number of reasons:

1. He's just so damned smug.

2. He acts like a know it all when it's so obvious that he either has
no clue or has been briefed ahead of time as to the procedure being
done.

3. He interrupts everyone, whether it be the homeowner, a contractor,
or even Norm.

4. He stands by and watches Norm do all the work and then remarks on
how hard it was for THEM to do it.

Anyone else hate this guy for reasons I've not yet listed? Post away!!!

Xbenx

linda

Aug 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/30/97

R2: La Migra wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Aug 1997, Tom Corey wrote:

> > Christine Sanderson wrote:
> > > I was thinking of getting a set for christmas for my DH.

> > Not to be smart or anything but, DH? Designated Hitter?

> > Tom Corey

> Maybe Dog Handler?

> Just the Vietnam Vet coming out...

I personally wouldn't own one <g>, but DH stands for Dear Husband
linda-renee

to respond, delete (kelly's mom!)

"Pretty much all the honest truth-telling there is in the world is done
by children."
--------Oliver Wendell Holmes

"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest."
--------Henry David Thoreau

"I can live for two months on a good compliment."
--------Mark Twain

Tim Bedow

Aug 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/31/97

ger...@infi.net wrote in article <340cc147....@allnews.infi.net>...
> On Thu, 28 Aug 1997 19:02:13 GMT, bow...@eisner.decus.org wrote:
>
> snip...

> > I've never had a problem getting them to honor
> >the warrenty (even when a tool has obviously been mis-used, like the
craftsman
> >ax head I found at the dump that someone must have left in a fire. Yep,
took
> >it back to sears, got a new ax and didn't pay a cent...)
>

> Gee, aren't you a nice, honest, upstanding citizen. A real role model.

It's morons like this that make it hard for me to buy new tools because
they cost so much. I just want a good tool that the company will stand
behind, not let some idiot take advantage of them and steal, yes steal,
from them.

MAX

Aug 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/31/97

...and talking about TOOL FETISH, are there clinics for this?
Im in serious need of one (or two, or....)

MAX

Note: To reply, remove the "X" from my e-mail address.
"Happiness is merely the remission of pain"

Alwyznanny

Sep 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/2/97

Ditto....My husband has some of the same sentiments.

I thought it was just my hubby... who had this prob with the Villa show.

He always turns the channel when Bob begins his comments after the Workers
have done the job.

We both admire Norm and His REAL hands on experience...why doesn't
Sears/Home depot use Norm as it's spokesman??????.Norms the one who really
knows what the tools are used for and has used them?

Hub says "At least Tim the Tool Man is funny, Bob is just boring."

Alwyznanny

>How about for being so self-centered as to devote an entire series to
>watching him build his own damn house. I watched as he had a woman paint a
>room with three different colors of paint applied with paper towels. I
>turned it off. I ran across the show several weeks later. He's still
>working on his house and explaining how he could have laid this tile a
>little differently and it would have cost a tenth of what he was paying to
>have it done but that it just wasn't quite up to his standards.
>
>Oh, and his cameos on Home Improvement.
>
>Here's a guy who really likes Bob
>http://www2.ucsc.edu/people/kirsch/bob.html

guy f klose

Sep 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/2/97

alwyz...@aol.com (Alwyznanny) writes:
>We both admire Norm and His REAL hands on experience...why doesn't
>Sears/Home depot use Norm as it's spokesman??????.Norms the one who really
>knows what the tools are used for and has used them?

Norm is not immune from criticism either...I have a brother, a woodworker,
that watched a couple of the early episodes of "New Yankee Workshop."
He told me he was surprised that Norm still had all of his fingers.

A "hack" is actually the term he used.

Guy
--
Guy Klose
g...@world.std.com

Daedalus

Sep 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/2/97

On Sat, 30 Aug 1997 11:36:32 +0000, Diablerie <bch...@macalester.edu>
wrote:

>David Gersic wrote:
>>
>> Personally, I'm suspicious of anything Bob is hawking.

Bob? I don't really care. It's that damn replacement of his Steve.
(at least that's what I think his name is) The only reason to watch
that weenie is the occasional appearances of Norm.

That Steve guy is just stupid.

--Daedalus--

Jim Sokoloff

Sep 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/3/97

ger...@infi.net wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Aug 1997 19:02:13 GMT, bow...@eisner.decus.org wrote:
>
> snip...
>
> > I've never had a problem getting them to honor
> >the warrenty (even when a tool has obviously been mis-used, like the craftsman
> >ax head I found at the dump that someone must have left in a fire. Yep, took
> >it back to sears, got a new ax and didn't pay a cent...)
>
> Gee, aren't you a nice, honest, upstanding citizen. A real role model.

What exactly was dishonest about what this guy did?

If one finds a discarded ten dollar bill at the dump, they get to take
it right?

The guy found an axe at the dump and took it. This axe is guaranteed by
the store and is replaced. I fail to see any lack of honesty in this
series of transactions...

---Jim

Jim Nelson

Sep 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/3/97

In article <340616...@erols.com>, ajbr...@erols.com says...

>I've used Craftsman hand tools for many years and I've only broken one
>socket in that time--it was a 3/8" drive by 18mm. It was recently,
>while I was helping my son repair brakes on an '87 Plymouth Horizon. We
>needed to remove two bolts holding the brake caliper on. Using a 3/8 to
>1/2 inch adaptor. the bolts wouldn'n budge. Tried using an impact
>wrench with, reportedly, a 150 ft. lbs rating. Still didn't budge. Got
>out the 1/2" breaker bar with an 18" length of pipe and it still didn't
>budge. Got out a 3/4" drive breaker bar, added the 3/4 to 1/2 adaptor
>and then added the 1/2 to 3/8 adaptor, and then added the 18" pipe
>extension. Got one bolt loose before the socket broke. I think thats
>unbelieveable strength from a 3/8" inch Craftsman socket. Took it back
>to Sears and they replaced it. I then bought a Craftsman 1/2" drive by
>18mm and had no trouble removing the other three bolts.
>
>For the money, you can't beat Sears Craftsman hand tools.

What more could anyone say?

Jim Nelson

Sep 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/3/97

In article <1997Aug28.085804.1@eisner>, bow...@eisner.decus.org says...

>Christine, you're learning the wrong things if you've "learned a lot" and are
>still considering buying your DH craftsman tools.
>
>*ANY* reputable tool manufacturer has a lifetime handtool replacement warrenty.
>The difference between a craftsman and a snapon is that the craftsman is *far*
>more likely to break under normal usage (and invariably in the middle of a
>brake job, late sunday night, when you have an important meeting Monday morning
>and your SO is out of town with the other car...)

So if your Monday morning meeting is so important why are you spending
your time futzing with the brakes? On Sunday night - with all the auto
parts stores closed?

Some of us have to leave the Snap-On to the pros - who can afford to
pay 4-5 times as much as Craftsman tools cost. I know one mechanic
( at the Chrysler Proving Grounds ) who claims to own $45,000 worth
of Snap-On stuff. Unreal!

And for occasional use - give me a break. Craftsman wrenches are fine.
I've never broken any of mine.

Jim Nelson

Sep 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/3/97

In article <3405D16C...@ptc.com>, tmpcsa...@ptc.com says...

>> Hi Bruce,
>
>I have recieved many letters on craftsman POWER tools, but nobody had
>anything negitive to say about the regular tools. I have never heard of
>any brand's besides craftsman that had the life time gaurentee. I

>always thought people who broke thier tools were abusing them. Don't
>most tools last a long time, as long as you take care of them? Im not

>rough on my tools, (most likley because Im a novice) but I do manage to
>strip screwdrivers a lot. Buying craftsman screwdrivers has saved me

>lots of money, because when I bought the cheep ones (1$ each) I would
>usualy strip them after 1 or 2 usages.
>
>As far as the wrenches I am talking about that I saw on TV, I think
>they may be kind of unique.
>
>As a side note, what do you think of the tools that you can buy in
>Brookstone's? Are they good quality?

Sounds like you should continue to trust your instincts.

Brookstone offers a lot of widgetry, but basics are more useful.

toby fain

Sep 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/3/97

I work as a maintain mech. and use a lot of hand tools, most of the wenches
first bought were craftsman, but as they break or wear out I am replacing
with PROTO (no I don't work for them) they are good quality wrenches with
the same warranty as craftsman and are shaped for better comfort when
pulling, of witch I do a lot of.

Jim Nelson <j...@sprynet.com> wrote in article
<5ujo62$idn$1...@juliana.sprynet.com>...

Kenny

Sep 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/3/97

Daedalus wrote:

Boy, no kidding. Can't they find anyone better?

Joe Yule

Sep 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/3/97

toby fain wrote:

> I work as a maintain mech. and use a lot of hand tools, most of the wenches
> first bought were craftsman, but as they break or wear out I am replacing
> with PROTO (no I don't work for them) they are good quality wrenches with
> the same warranty as craftsman and are shaped for better comfort when
> pulling, of witch I do a lot of.

Amen...

I'm all in favor of trading in old wenches for new wenches,
especially when they are shaped for "better comfort" ;^)

Joe

Andy C.

Sep 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/3/97

Diablerie wrote:

> David Gersic wrote:
> >
> > Personally, I'm suspicious of anything Bob is hawking.
>
> See, that's the difference between you and me. You're suspicious of
> what Bob hawks, and I just flat out hate Bob. Watching TOH and it's
> syndicated incarnation "Renovation Guide" on TLC makes me hate this guy
> for a number of reasons:
>
> 1. He's just so damned smug.
>
> 2. He acts like a know it all when it's so obvious that he either has
> no clue or has been briefed ahead of time as to the procedure being
> done.
>
> 3. He interrupts everyone, whether it be the homeowner, a contractor,
> or even Norm.
>
> 4. He stands by and watches Norm do all the work and then remarks on
> how hard it was for THEM to do it.
>
> Anyone else hate this guy for reasons I've not yet listed? Post away!!!
>
> Xbenx
Ha ha ha ha ha ha. You guys are cracking me up! I'm really getting a
kick out of this thread. I'm sure my wife will find it interesting to
know there are others out there that think Bob's an idiot.
--
Andy C.

To reply to this post, remove $$$ from the email address.
($$$ = ANTI- SPAM condom)

The above opinions are mine, not those of my employer!

John Hascall

Sep 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/4/97

Jim Sokoloff <soko...@tiac.net> wrote:

}ger...@infi.net wrote:
}>bow...@eisner.decus.org wrote:
}> snip...
}> > I've never had a problem getting them to honor
}> >the warrenty (even when a tool has obviously been mis-used,
}> >like the craftsman ax head
}> >I found at the dump that someone must have left in a fire. Yep, took
}> >it back to sears, got a new ax and didn't pay a cent...)

}> Gee, aren't you a nice, honest, upstanding citizen. A real role model.

}What exactly was dishonest about what this guy did? ...

}The guy found an axe at the dump and took it. This axe is guaranteed by
}the store and is replaced. I fail to see any lack of honesty in this
}series of transactions...

I suppose that depends on whether or not the warrantee is just to
the original owner. (and in the case of sears, I don't know
what their warrantee actually says).

John
PS, I wonder if one could "acquire" a rather complete toolset
this way by dumpster diving behind sears...

--
John Hascall, Software Engr. Shut up, be happy. The conveniences you
ISU Computation Center demanded are now mandatory. -Jello Biafra

Mike

Sep 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/4/97

In article <EFvq3...@world.std.com>, g...@world.std.com says...

I dislike Norm for other reasons, mostly his tools. "Just use your laser
sighted power miter box to make sure you get a precision cut" as though we
all have one.

--
Because the junk mailers of the world think my address is their play thing,
my e-mail address will not be revealed. Please respond publicly.

Mark Fisher

Sep 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/4/97

I totally agree with everyone's complaints about Bob Vila and Steve Thomas,
but this is the first complaint I have heard about Scott Philips from the
American Woodshop. IMO, this fellow is truly the most annoying of them
all, and his projects are absolutely absurd. I stopped watching after he
built a "secret compartment" into one of his projects for no apparent
reason. Damn ugly project, too.

Why aren't there more complaints about him? Is it because no one watches
him, or am I totally off base here?
--
Replace "wombat" with "tpwd" to reply

> But it's still better than Hometime (where they spent 10 of thousands
> finishing a BASEMENT) or American Workshop (scott phillips is just TOO
> annoying, and his projects tend to be inconsequential).
>
> Rich

mark lange

Sep 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/4/97

Mark Fisher (mark....@wombat.state.tx.us) wrote:
: I totally agree with everyone's complaints about Bob Vila and Steve Thomas,

: but this is the first complaint I have heard about Scott Philips from the
: American Woodshop. IMO, this fellow is truly the most annoying of them
: all, and his projects are absolutely absurd. I stopped watching after he
: built a "secret compartment" into one of his projects for no apparent
: reason. Damn ugly project, too.

: Why aren't there more complaints about him? Is it because no one watches
: him, or am I totally off base here?
: --

Definitely agree with this one as well. However, my local PBS has
replaced him with the router guys (I just thought things couldn't
get much worse :-( ) I really like it when he visits some historical
or other place and uses the Mister Rogers-like, "Come on (motions with
hand) let's go inside!" AAARG!

My opinions only, my employer has its own opinions

lda...@*no_spam*roanoke.infi.net

Sep 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/4/97

Quoth junk...@mac-server.tsc.ohio-state.edu (Charles D. Reader):

>> Boy, no kidding. Can't they find anyone better?
>
>Not really. He is the "best" at what he does. He's the clueless guy who
>sets up the "explanation" portions of the show.
>
>"Gee Norm, that looks like it's hard to do!"
>
>"Steve, it isn't as hard as you think. You grasp the hammer like this,
>haul back and swing as hard as you can. Just make sure that you don't miss
>the nail or else your other hand will be in a cast for the next four
>months..."

What?? Norm using a non-electric tool?

You're kidding, right?

And as far as Steve goes, Norm better remind him not to hit himself in
the head on the backswing. (I suspect that's happened a few times
already.)

To reply by email, delete the *NO_SPAM* from my email address.

JPATTEN%NOS...@gpo.nsc.com

Sep 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/5/97
to Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher wrote:

> I totally agree with everyone's complaints about Bob Vila and Steve Thomas,
> but this is the first complaint I have heard about Scott Philips from the
> American Woodshop. IMO, this fellow is truly the most annoying of them
> all, and his projects are absolutely absurd. I stopped watching after he
> built a "secret compartment" into one of his projects for no apparent
> reason. Damn ugly project, too.
>
> Why aren't there more complaints about him? Is it because no one watches
> him, or am I totally off base here?
> --
> Replace "wombat" with "tpwd" to reply
>
> > But it's still better than Hometime (where they spent 10 of thousands
> > finishing a BASEMENT) or American Workshop (scott phillips is just TOO
> > annoying, and his projects tend to be inconsequential).
> >
> > Rich

You know Mark, the thing that annoys me most(other than his Mister
Roger's
demeaner) is that he takes this absolutely stunning wood and creates
crap
out of it. Come on now the designs he uses are, I could get out of a
cheap
very beginner's woodworking magazine. It's just to painfull to watch
him
anymore. Something beautiful should be made out of beautiful wood. The
wood itself forces you to do more with it. Now I sound like Krenov.
;')

Jon

Michael John Hide

Sep 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/5/97

hau...@mbi.org wrote:

>In article <340D87FE...@mail.idt.net> Kenny <bybi...@mail.idt.net> writes:
>>From: Kenny <bybi...@mail.idt.net>
>>Subject: Re: Bob Vila is a Jerk
>>Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 10:53:34 -0500

>b? I don't really care. It's that damn replacement of his Steve.
>>> (at least that's what I think his name is) The only reason to watch
>>> that weenie is the occasional appearances of Norm.
>>>
>>> That Steve guy is just stupid.
>>>

>>Boy, no kidding. Can't they find anyone better?
>

>Better at what? Steve is supposed to represent the ordinary,
>doesn't-know-much guy. It's a job he's quite good at, IMO. TOH already has
>enough know-it-alls. Bob didn't work well because he was the ultimate KIA,
>and arrogant to boot!
>
>TOH has also (admirably) delved into humorous digs more. Norm and others will
>almost routinely make fun of Steve, and he is very good-natured about it.
>
>Now, before anyone thinks that Steve and I are picking out curtains, he is
>certainly not perfect. Sometimes his questions are a little TOO dumb, and I
>also think TOH is spending too much time on long advertisements for vendors,
>and also some irrelevant features, such as last week's Savannah rerun where
>MOST of the show was spent with a book author - the only tie to Savannah was
>that it was the setting of the book, and there was NO home improvement
>connection at ALL.

>But it's still better than Hometime (where they spent 10 of thousands
>finishing a BASEMENT) or American Workshop (scott phillips is just TOO
>annoying, and his projects tend to be inconsequential).
>
>Rich

Didn`t you people even like the episode where Norm taught us all to
catch clams ......mjh

Topher Eliot

Sep 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/5/97

In article <5unb7o$h6o$1...@news.goodnet.com>, deh...@indirect.com wrote:

>In <340DD152...@ti.com>, Joe Yule <yu...@ti.com> writes:
>>
>>toby fain wrote:
>>>
>>> I work as a maintain mech. and use a lot of hand tools, most of the wenches
>>> first bought were craftsman, but as they break or wear out I am replacing
>>> with PROTO (no I don't work for them) they are good quality wrenches with
>>> the same warranty as craftsman and are shaped for better comfort when
>>> pulling, of witch I do a lot of.
As others have said those shaped-for-better-comfort wenches sound nice, but
I'm not so sure about the "witch" aspect . . .

Topher Eliot
el...@alum.mit.edu
Visit the home maintenance web page at http://www.geocities.com/heartland/7400

Freesoft

Sep 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/6/97

On Thu, 28 Aug 1997 19:07:38 -0400, Tom Corey <nojun...@erols.com>
wrote:

>Christine,
> While it is true that Craftsman power tools do indeed suck, The
>mechanics hand tools aren't bad. There are better, Snap-On and Mac to
>name 2, but the are more money. I have found Craftsman wrenches and the
>like to be good enough for what I do but I don't earn my living with
>them. I do earn my living working on electronics and wouldn't use
>Craftsman tools for that because they just aren't good enough.
>--
>Tom Corey
>to reply remove "nojunk" from address

I've had few problems with Craftsman power tools. (1/2" drill - 12
years old, 10" wet sharpener - 32 years old, band saw - 9 years old,
drill press - 8 years old, etc...) As long as I look for the
"Industrial" label and look closely at the tool itself to see if it
warrants the "Industrial" label. (I think they recently started
putting a "Contracter" label on the stuff. A lot of their power tools
are crap but with careful shopping you can get decent stuff. I try and
stay away from a lot of the gimmick items. And replacement parts are
easier to get as long as you didn't throw away the owners manual.

Some tools, I stick with the namesake (Cresent wrench, Makita cordless
drills, Skil saw, etc) but only the upper end of them. Most all
companies make a junk line but usually put a little more effort into
their high end tools.

I don't make a living with my tools, since I can't afford to buy
everything I want, I sure use them in ways they weren't originally
intended.
Mark Hetzel
97 XLH with too few miles

Mr Fixit

Sep 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/6/97

deh...@indirect.com wrote in article <5unb7o$h6o$1...@news.goodnet.com>...

> In <340DD152...@ti.com>, Joe Yule <yu...@ti.com> writes:
> >
> >toby fain wrote:
> >>
> >> I work as a maintain mech. and use a lot of hand tools, most of the
wenches
> >> first bought were craftsman, but as they break or wear out I am
replacing
> >> with PROTO (no I don't work for them) they are good quality wrenches
with
> >> the same warranty as craftsman and are shaped for better comfort when
> >> pulling, of witch I do a lot of.
> >

> >Amen...
> >
> > I'm all in favor of trading in old wenches for new wenches,

> > especially when they are shaped for "better comfort" ;^)
> >
> > Joe
>
> Joe you're bad. Must be a relative of M. Rooney.
> DH

===============

I traded an old wench for a new one once. The prorating cost nearly wiped
me out! Still, I think the improved comfort was worth it. ;-}

Mr Fixit

Travis Anton

Sep 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/8/97

In article <340f48d7...@news.roanoke.infi.net>
ldavis@*NO_SPAM*roanoke.infi.net writes:

> Quoth junk...@mac-server.tsc.ohio-state.edu (Charles D. Reader):
>

> >> Boy, no kidding. Can't they find anyone better?
> >

> >Not really. He is the "best" at what he does. He's the clueless guy who
> >sets up the "explanation" portions of the show.
> >
> >"Gee Norm, that looks like it's hard to do!"
> >
> >"Steve, it isn't as hard as you think. You grasp the hammer like this,
> >haul back and swing as hard as you can. Just make sure that you don't miss
> >the nail or else your other hand will be in a cast for the next four
> >months..."
>
> What?? Norm using a non-electric tool?
>
> You're kidding, right?
>
> And as far as Steve goes, Norm better remind him not to hit himself in
> the head on the backswing. (I suspect that's happened a few times
> already.)

Is it just me or did it just really go over everyone's head that Steve
is a hired *actor* following a rehearsed *script* for a television
show?

-- Travis Anton, BoxTop Software, Inc. <http://www.boxtopsoft.com>

Mark Johnson

Sep 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/8/97

Mike wrote:

> I dislike Norm for other reasons, mostly his tools. "Just use your laser
> sighted power miter box to make sure you get a precision cut" as though we
> all have one.

Someday...I'm going to list all the power tools Norm uses in a single episode
and look up prices on all of them to see how much capital equipment is needed
to do one of his projects. 12" wide power jointers don't grow on trees.
[If I ever do this, I'll post the results here.]

Roy Underhill (of 'The Woodwright's Shop') seems to be able to do most
everything Norm can, but he does it without electricity. His episodes are
more fun watch, too -- they seem to be done as a single 25-minute 'master
shot' with no breaks, even when Roy gets a splinter or nicks his thumb
on a sharp blade.

:-)
--
Mark Johnson USnail: Symbios Logic, Inc
E-mail: Mark.J...@symbios.com MetaStor Business Team

Brad W.

Sep 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/8/97

In article <junkmail-030...@cr-mac2.tsc.ohio-state.edu>,

junk...@mac-server.tsc.ohio-state.edu (Charles D. Reader) wrote:

>> Boy, no kidding. Can't they find anyone better?
>
>Not really. He is the "best" at what he does. He's the clueless guy who
>sets up the "explanation" portions of the show.
>
>"Gee Norm, that looks like it's hard to do!"
>
>"Steve, it isn't as hard as you think. You grasp the hammer like this,
>haul back and swing as hard as you can. Just make sure that you don't miss
>the nail or else your other hand will be in a cast for the next four
>months..."

Exactly! I think he is one of the best "Clueless Guys" in the business, and
does a good job of, like you said, setting up the informational segments. Its
great to see someone who has laid cedar shakes all his life do it in one fluid
motion, but I learn more from the explanation and seeing Steve struggle with
it himself.

John C. Dechon

Sep 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/8/97

John C. Dechon (ah...@rgfn.epcc.edu) wrote:

> [...]

> > >also think TOH is spending too much time on long advertisements for vendors,
> > >and also some irrelevant features, such as last week's Savannah rerun where
> > >MOST of the show was spent with a book author - the only tie to Savannah was
> > >that it was the setting of the book, and there was NO home improvement
> > >connection at ALL.
> > >
> > >But it's still better than Hometime (where they spent 10 of thousands
> > >finishing a BASEMENT) or American Workshop (scott phillips is just TOO
> > >annoying, and his projects tend to be inconsequential).
> > >
> > >Rich
> > >
> > Didn`t you people even like the episode where Norm taught us all to
> > catch clams ......mjh

> I don't care much for Bob anymore due to his abrasive personality and the
> couple of incidents re: his being sued over houses he's done in the past.
> As for his "pushiness" on the show, that may be partly due to his trying to
> get everything into a half-hour format, so things MUST move along quickly.
> But his constant, "So that's all there is to it" refrain is quite
> irritating...if "that's all there is to it," Bob, then even YOU could do
> it as well as the pro who's been doing it for years...seems like he's
> inadvertently putting down people's work, as if even a fool could perform
> it, when actually, the pros only make it LOOK simple!

> Still, having said all that, we should remember that Bob Vila STARTED the
> home/DYI shows back in the late 1970s, and This Old House set the
> standards for all the other shows to follow, one of which was Hometime in
> 1986 (the first to use a female co-host), and now look at how many there
> are! So if for no other reason, Bob deserves some credit for his
> pioneering in this area.

> As for what he knows/doesn't know, ANYONE who spends some time hosting
> such a show picks up a fair amount of knowledge, and Bob is no exception.
> Sure, he's no expert, but few people are. I really don't know HOW much he
> knows or WHAT he really can do, because HE's not doing it on the show,
> he's just the host. Still, like many of us, he least has SOME knowledge
> of how to do something even if he can't do it, or can do it only so-so.
> Bob probably has picked up quite a bit of information over the years, but
> he tends to be more interested in house design (architecture
> types/history...like the series he hosts re: historical American homes)
> rather than getting down and doing the work himself.

> But if you think Bob's a boob on TV, how about that show Your New House
> in which the "Super Handyman" old guy, yes, it's actually written on his
> apron, does something obviously wrong but doesn't know any better, or
> that other show Home Remodeling in which the older guy tries to put a
> round bolt in square hole...imcompetence is rampant in these
> shows...but maybe they're live and can't be edited!

> Yes, Bob's on-air presence/personality needs some "adjustment," but he's not

I forgot to add one other thing re: what some of these home/DYI show
hosts do with their time and talents outide of their respective TV shows...

Dean Johnson of Hometime (as well as co-hosts Jojo and Robin), despite
some of the negative posts re: that show, has donated a lot of time and
resources to Habitat for Humanity projects in the Minnesota/Wisconsin area.
He was also in on the Sioux Indian reservation Habitat "blitz week" in
South Dakota (I think it was SD) during which 1200 people built 30 houses in
a week. Jerry Connel (host of The Home Pro) was also there, and on a more
recent Habitat project in Kentucky, Ron Hazelton (host of The House Doctor)
was involved.

In short, some of these home/DYI "personalities" do MORE than just act as
hosts of their respective shows, even though they're not construction
experts, either (although some clearly know more about construction than
others). They at least deserve SOME credit for helping to build homes for
the lower-income people throughout this country who can't qualify for a
regular mortgage, and so would otherwise not have a home.

I do not recall seeing Bob Vila, or even Norm Abram for that matter, ever do
any such "community service" (although I like Norm much more than Bob).

John Dechon
El Paso, TX

Scott

Sep 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/8/97

On 4 Sep 1997 16:35:41 GMT, "Mark Fisher"
<mark....@wombat.state.tx.us> wrote:

>I totally agree with everyone's complaints about Bob Vila and Steve Thomas,
>but this is the first complaint I have heard about Scott Philips from the
>American Woodshop. IMO, this fellow is truly the most annoying of them
>all, and his projects are absolutely absurd. I stopped watching after he
>built a "secret compartment" into one of his projects for no apparent
>reason. Damn ugly project, too.
>
>Why aren't there more complaints about him? Is it because no one watches
>him, or am I totally off base here?
>--
>Replace "wombat" with "tpwd" to reply
>

>> But it's still better than Hometime (where they spent 10 of thousands
>> finishing a BASEMENT) or American Workshop (scott phillips is just TOO
>> annoying, and his projects tend to be inconsequential).

Rich, the "secret compartment" you speak of is actually quite a
traditional feature among antique and hand crafted furniture. It was
appropriate for for it to be included in the project. I have several
pieces of antique which have secret compartments - some of which I
didn't realize they where there for quite some time.

ehay

Sep 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/8/97

Yeah, tell us something new.

Actually Steve Thomas races 12 Meter Sailboats out of San Fran and NYC.
The 12 Meter was the old one design boat that raced for the Americas Cup
until the sailing community got ga ga over technology. Pretty boat,
that 12 meter.

Dorky actor that Thomas.
--
manually reply to: eh...@execpc.com

Any company and/or person sending 'junk' mail, comonly refered to as
'SPAM', to the above email address to promote or endorse any service
or product that was not intially requested by the holder of the above
email address agrees to the receipt of up to 20 MEG of random and
possibly infected mail or files.

John C. Dechon

Sep 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/8/97

Michael John Hide (mike...@mindspring.com) wrote:
> hau...@mbi.org wrote:

> >In article <340D87FE...@mail.idt.net> Kenny <bybi...@mail.idt.net> writes:
> >>From: Kenny <bybi...@mail.idt.net>
> >>Subject: Re: Bob Vila is a Jerk
> >>Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 10:53:34 -0500
> >

> >b? I don't really care. It's that damn replacement of his Steve.

> >>Boy, no kidding. Can't they find anyone better?
> >
> >Better at what? Steve is supposed to represent the ordinary,
> >doesn't-know-much guy. It's a job he's quite good at, IMO. TOH already has
> >enough know-it-alls. Bob didn't work well because he was the ultimate KIA,
> >and arrogant to boot!
> >
> >TOH has also (admirably) delved into humorous digs more. Norm and others will
> >almost routinely make fun of Steve, and he is very good-natured about it.
> >
> >Now, before anyone thinks that Steve and I are picking out curtains, he is
> >certainly not perfect. Sometimes his questions are a little TOO dumb, and I
> >also think TOH is spending too much time on long advertisements for vendors,
> >and also some irrelevant features, such as last week's Savannah rerun where
> >MOST of the show was spent with a book author - the only tie to Savannah was
> >that it was the setting of the book, and there was NO home improvement
> >connection at ALL.
> >

> >But it's still better than Hometime (where they spent 10 of thousands
> >finishing a BASEMENT) or American Workshop (scott phillips is just TOO
> >annoying, and his projects tend to be inconsequential).

Keith Bohn

Sep 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/8/97

Actually our boy Steve is/was a mariner. Just about the time he
signed on to This Old House our local PBS station ran a documentary
about him sailing solo from somewhere to somewhere else.

In his early bio for TOH they also mentioned he was an accomplished
boat builder.

He may have hired on as an actor but you've got to give him his due
for some accomplishment.

Keith Bohn
Bohn & Bonn Design

Bill Young

Sep 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/8/97

Tim Bedow wrote:

> ger...@infi.net wrote in article <340cc147....@allnews.infi.net>...

> > On Thu, 28 Aug 1997 19:02:13 GMT, bow...@eisner.decus.org wrote:
> >
> > snip...
> >
> > > I've never had a problem getting them to honor
> > >the warrenty (even when a tool has obviously been mis-used, like the
> craftsman
> > >ax head I found at the dump that someone must have left in a fire. Yep,
> took
> > >it back to sears, got a new ax and didn't pay a cent...)
> >
> > Gee, aren't you a nice, honest, upstanding citizen. A real role model.
> >
> It's morons like this that make it hard for me to buy new tools because
> they cost so much. I just want a good tool that the company will stand
> behind, not let some idiot take advantage of them and steal, yes steal,
> from them.

I have, in years past, taken many hand tools back to sears for
replacement. They have always honored the warantee(sp?) even for
found,used,yard sale tools. Yes I asked first. Bill Young,Alaska

Paul Moody

Sep 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/9/97

Keith Bohn <b...@execpc.com> wrote in article
<34197550...@news.execpc.com>...

> Actually our boy Steve is/was a mariner. Just about the time he

---deleted---
Indeed, Steve has sailed around the world solo and spent time in the south
pacific learning how to navigate as the orginal Polynesians did.

--
Paul and Caroly Moody
paul...@worldnet.att.net

Dennis Engbring

Sep 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/9/97

unid...@mindspring.com wrote in article
<3414b560...@news.mindspring.com>...

> On Mon, 08 Sep 1997 22:38:33 GMT, b...@execpc.com (Keith Bohn) wrote:
>
> >Actually our boy Steve is/was a mariner. Just about the time he

> >signed on to This Old House our local PBS station ran a documentary
> >about him sailing solo from somewhere to somewhere else.
> >
> >In his early bio for TOH they also mentioned he was an accomplished
> >boat builder.
> >
> >He may have hired on as an actor but you've got to give him his due
> >for some accomplishment.
>

> I'm waiting for SEARS and K-Mart to merge so we cold have the
> unbeatable combination of Bob Vila and Martha Stewart!

AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGG!

John Hascall

Sep 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/9/97

<unid...@mindspring.com> wrote:
}I'm waiting for SEARS and K-Mart to merge so we cold have the
}unbeatable combination of Bob Vila and Martha Stewart!

I'd pay for ringside seats to that!
It would make Holyfield-Tyson look like a Sunday School Outing.

Ear of Bob in clam sauce, it's a *good* thing.

John

Keith Boyd

Sep 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/9/97

Freesoft wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Aug 1997 19:07:38 -0400, Tom Corey <nojun...@erols.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Christine,
> > While it is true that Craftsman power tools do indeed suck, The
> >mechanics hand tools aren't bad. There are better, Snap-On and Mac to
> >name 2, but the are more money. I have found Craftsman wrenches and the
> >like to be good enough for what I do but I don't earn my living with
> >them. I do earn my living working on electronics and wouldn't use
> >Craftsman tools for that because they just aren't good enough.
> >--
> >Tom Corey
> >to reply remove "nojunk" from address
>
> I've had few problems with Craftsman power tools. (1/2" drill - 12
> years old, 10" wet sharpener - 32 years old, band saw - 9 years old,
> drill press - 8 years old, etc...) As long as I look for the
> "Industrial" label and look closely at the tool itself to see if it
> warrants the "Industrial" label. (I think they recently started
> putting a "Contracter" label on the stuff. A lot of their power tools
> are crap but with careful shopping you can get decent stuff. I try and
> stay away from a lot of the gimmick items. And replacement parts are
> easier to get as long as you didn't throw away the owners manual.
>
> Some tools, I stick with the namesake (Cresent wrench, Makita cordless
> drills,
^^^^^^^^^

My variable speed Makita Cordless drill is apparently having a problem
with the trigger switch. It won't start off slowly and accelerate to the
max smoothly. The low speeds do not work and all of a sudden it turns
on full speed when it gets to a certain point. So far, I am just living
with it, but it is a pain trying to do delicate work with it.

Keith

Peter Lemmond

Sep 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/9/97

In article <34140F...@symbios.com>, Mark Johnson <mark.j...@symbios.com> writes:

>Mike wrote:
>
>> I dislike Norm for other reasons, mostly his tools. "Just use your laser
>> sighted power miter box to make sure you get a precision cut" as though we
>> all have one.
>
>Someday...I'm going to list all the power tools Norm uses in a single episode
>and look up prices on all of them to see how much capital equipment is needed
>to do one of his projects. 12" wide power jointers don't grow on trees.
>[If I ever do this, I'll post the results here.]

Don't bother. Norm's tool collection is not really all that
impressive. Sure, it is more than one might be able to go out and buy
on a Saturday afternoon, even a month of Saturday afternoons, but for
someone who has been actively involved in woodworking for 25+ years, he
really doesn't have that much (pretending for a minute that he had to
actually buy this stuff, which he doesn't). Nearly all the tools in the
shop are mid-to-upper level, consumer grade equipment. In nearly every
category, there are bigger, better, much more expensive Pro versions.
And he does frequently show how to do the same task using a variety of
tools.

BTW, looks like Norm uses an 8" jointer, a Delta DJ-20, not a 12". You
could probably get one for $1,500. Sure, that's a big hunk of money,
but keep in mind that such a tool will probably last a lifetime, maybe
two or three generations. The exact same DJ-20 was probably the best 8"
jointer on the market 10 years ago, and will likely be the best 10
years from now. Can you say the same thing about the $5,000 PC-AT you
bought five years ago, and is now an obsolete piece of junk gathering
dust in your closet?

-Peter

Mark Johnson

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97

Peter Lemmond wrote:

> Don't bother. Norm's tool collection is not really all that
> impressive. Sure, it is more than one might be able to go out and buy
> on a Saturday afternoon, even a month of Saturday afternoons, but for
> someone who has been actively involved in woodworking for 25+ years, he
> really doesn't have that much (pretending for a minute that he had to
> actually buy this stuff, which he doesn't). Nearly all the tools in the
> shop are mid-to-upper level, consumer grade equipment. In nearly every
> category, there are bigger, better, much more expensive Pro versions.
> And he does frequently show how to do the same task using a variety of
> tools.

All true enough. The exercise, if I ever do it, is going to be a 20-min
lookup in the Northern Hydraulic and Harbor Freight catalogs. I still
think it's funny that Roy Underhill can do almost the same work without
electricity.

> BTW, looks like Norm uses an 8" jointer, a Delta DJ-20, not a 12". You
> could probably get one for $1,500. Sure, that's a big hunk of money,
> but keep in mind that such a tool will probably last a lifetime, maybe
> two or three generations. The exact same DJ-20 was probably the best 8"
> jointer on the market 10 years ago, and will likely be the best 10
> years from now. Can you say the same thing about the $5,000 PC-AT you
> bought five years ago, and is now an obsolete piece of junk gathering
> dust in your closet?

Touche...I just gave away a still-operable Osborne I luggable computer
to a friend who's starting a museum of small computers. Gave $2000 for
it in 1982 and it honestly wasn't worth hauling off, until George offered
to take it off my hands.

Good tools do indeed last; any time I need something for a special project
I usually go ahead and buy quality, figuring that the next time the need
arises I'll have a good one to use.

John C. Dechon

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

Peter Lemmond (pet...@tone.whoi.edu) wrote:
> In article <34140F...@symbios.com>, Mark Johnson <mark.j...@symbios.com> writes:
> >
> >Mike wrote:
> >
> >> I dislike Norm for other reasons, mostly his tools. "Just use your laser
> >> sighted power miter box to make sure you get a precision cut" as though we
> >> all have one.
> >
> >Someday...I'm going to list all the power tools Norm uses in a single episode
> >and look up prices on all of them to see how much capital equipment is needed
> >to do one of his projects. 12" wide power jointers don't grow on trees.
> >[If I ever do this, I'll post the results here.]
> >

> Don't bother. Norm's tool collection is not really all that

> impressive. Sure, it is more than one might be able to go out and buy
> on a Saturday afternoon, even a month of Saturday afternoons, but for
> someone who has been actively involved in woodworking for 25+ years, he
> really doesn't have that much (pretending for a minute that he had to
> actually buy this stuff, which he doesn't). Nearly all the tools in the
> shop are mid-to-upper level, consumer grade equipment. In nearly every
> category, there are bigger, better, much more expensive Pro versions.
> And he does frequently show how to do the same task using a variety of
> tools.

> BTW, looks like Norm uses an 8" jointer, a Delta DJ-20, not a 12". You

> could probably get one for $1,500. Sure, that's a big hunk of money,
> but keep in mind that such a tool will probably last a lifetime, maybe
> two or three generations. The exact same DJ-20 was probably the best 8"
> jointer on the market 10 years ago, and will likely be the best 10
> years from now. Can you say the same thing about the $5,000 PC-AT you
> bought five years ago, and is now an obsolete piece of junk gathering
> dust in your closet?

> -Peter

Well, not really...at least my "obsolete piece of junk" 486 allows me to read
posts like yours. It didn't cost anywhere near $5000, because I put it
together myself (had to, I was too poor to get a new machine), and it does
not ONLY gather dust, I actually use it every day.

Regards,

Mike

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

In article <5v7qrm$3...@rgfn3.epcc.edu>, ah...@rgfn.epcc.edu says...

Heheheh, I've got you beat. I still have *and use* a Commodore 128. 11
years old this fall, what a great machine (and I paid about 1/10'th of
$5000 for a full setup too)...

Mr_M...@tech_no.com

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

Mike wrote:

> In article <5v7qrm$3...@rgfn3.epcc.edu>, ah...@rgfn.epcc.edu says...
> >
> >Well, not really...at least my "obsolete piece of junk" 486 allows me to
> read
> >posts like yours. It didn't cost anywhere near $5000, because I put it
> >together myself (had to, I was too poor to get a new machine), and it does
> >not ONLY gather dust, I actually use it every day.
>
> Heheheh, I've got you beat. I still have *and use* a Commodore 128. 11
> years old this fall, what a great machine (and I paid about 1/10'th of
> $5000 for a full setup too)...

Say, maybe I should save some money and get me a Commodore 128. How
well does the "128" do multimedia? Does the audio/video output look
just like you're in a movie theater?

It is loading more messages.