Venta Airwasher Cleaning Options

TimmyD

Dec 18, 2005, 10:16:29 AM12/18/05
We recently purchased the pricy, but cool Venta Airwasher for
humidification reasons. This is after trying many filter & mist based
models over the years. It's very dry during the winters in Minnesota
and we must run a humidifier from about November to March . We've been
running the Venta for about a month. So far so good, the unit is quite
and unique in design. The concept is terriffic, but it appears that
the operation costs, on top of the high base cost of the unit brings
questions to mind on Venta's efficiency.

Our home does not have a water softener and we have fairly hard water
so mineral build up is a concern, especially after spending almost $400
for mid-sized model. The water additive and cleaner solutions appear
to negate the savings benefit of not having to purchase filters. The
water additive is approx. $12+ per month. The cleaner is also
expensive, $10+ per small bottle and acording to the manual you are
supposed to clean the unit ever two weeks. This puts operation at over
$30 per month.

The manual from Venta recomends not to use other cleaning products on
the machine or it may cause damage to the machine. We're going to be
forced to look for cleaning solution alternatives and will probably try
a mild vineger & water formula to help manage the mineral build up.
I'll avoid soaps especially protein products.

Any body have suggestions or experience with this product?

Good product, bad pricetag. The margin must be incredible for the
manufacturer.

hchi...@hotmail.com

Dec 18, 2005, 10:50:25 AM12/18/05
"TimmyD" <timothy...@gmail.com> wrote:

>The manual from Venta recomends not to use other cleaning products on
>the machine or it may cause damage to the machine. We're going to be
>forced to look for cleaning solution alternatives and will probably try
>a mild vineger & water formula to help manage the mineral build up.
>I'll avoid soaps especially protein products.

If it is a boiler or something similar, you might try citric acid.
For my distiller, I use lemon juice from the dollar store. I put in a
quart of water, add maybe half a cup of lemon juice and let it boil
for 15 to 30 mins, dump and rinse. Vinegar would probably work as
well, but I don't care for the vingar smell.

Eeyore

Dec 9, 2006, 4:47:19 PM12/9/06
On 18 Dec 2005 07:16:29 -0800, "TimmyD" <timothy...@gmail.com>
wrote:

I am using a Venta too. I bought one second hand from an on-line
advertising site (for a very good price) early this year. Of course
the manufacturer tries to scare you into using their ridiculously
priced cleaning products. Completely unnecessary.

As a water additive I use dishwasher rinse-aid (to prevent stains on
your glassware and dishes and which gives it the shine) to prevent
mineral deposits. Works perfectly and is dirt-cheap. About 5 ml
suffices. After you have added water a few times you can see the
mineral flakes floating in the water which proves that it works. With
500 ml. in a bottle you have a 100 doses. When you have very hard
water you can use more. When you get foam buildup you use too much.
The foam will produce slight amounts of water leaking from the
openings on the side. You'll see it coming out of these openings where
the bubbles will pop and create the slight leakage.

At the price of this stuff you can change the water much more
frequently. Don't worry about damage to the unit. It must be safe for
plastic utensils in the dishwasher too after all.

Just look at the ingredients listed on the Venta product and on the
rinse-aid. You'll see the similarity.

If you still do get some mineral buildup after a while you can remove
that by using water softener powder as used in washing machines (like
Calgon www.calgon.com )

Just add a few teaspoon or a small table spoon to a fresh load of
water and let it run for a couple of hours. All the deposit will have
gone. Again dirt-cheap and again don't worry about the unit. If it is
safe for synthetic fibers it is safe for your synthetic (plastic)
Venta too.

I have used both products and can recommend them.
It'll save you a fair amount of money.

plcd...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2019, 8:58:48 PM11/29/19
Thanks. Good report.