recommendation for a low-flow shower head?

1 view

Joe

Apr 1, 2008, 8:43:19 AM4/1/08
My water bill just was increased about 30% so I'm thinking I need to
install low-flow showerheads. Can anyone recommend a decent brand that
won't have me end with flat hair?

Dennis

Apr 1, 2008, 3:00:24 PM4/1/08
On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 05:43:19 -0700 (PDT), Joe <joe...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>My water bill just was increased about 30% so I'm thinking I need to
>install low-flow showerheads. Can anyone recommend a decent brand that
>won't have me end with flat hair?

Is the state of the hair on your end really that much of a concern?

Dennis (evil)

val189

Apr 1, 2008, 3:47:25 PM4/1/08

I don't get the flat hair bit, but there are plenty of low flow
heads out there and also, it might even be better to get one with a
shutoff valve.

Catch that shower water in a bucket and use on your plants or anywhere
else gray water is ok.

Joe

Apr 1, 2008, 4:41:19 PM4/1/08
On Apr 1, 3:00 pm, Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 05:43:19 -0700 (PDT), Joe <joe5...@gmail.com>

> wrote:
>
> >My water bill just was increased about 30% so I'm thinking I need to
> >install low-flow showerheads. Can anyone recommend a decent brand that
> >won't have me end with flat hair?
>
> Is the state of the hair on your end really that much of a concern?
>
> Dennis (evil)
> --
> "There is a fine line between participation and mockery" - Wally

it was just a subtle joke alluding to the old Seinfeld episode where
all the shower heads in the building were replaced with "low-flow"
nozzles and Jerry and Kramer ended up with flat hair. What I'm more
concerned about is that I get a decent spray that also conserves water.

Lou

Apr 1, 2008, 8:58:03 PM4/1/08

"Joe" <joe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> My water bill just was increased about 30% so I'm thinking I need to
> install low-flow showerheads. Can anyone recommend a decent brand that
> won't have me end with flat hair?

I can't find a cite for the one I use, but the one at this site looks
similar:
http://www.gaiam.com/product/eco-home-outdoor/bathroom/shower-bath-filters/lowest+flow+showerhead.do

Seerialmom

Apr 1, 2008, 8:07:05 PM4/1/08

These are the type I've used in my homes for the past 30 years or so
(even though I never had metered water before...I still tried to
conserve during "drought" years):

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/water_saving_showerhead_9503.jpg

hchi...@hotmail.com

Apr 1, 2008, 9:08:43 PM4/1/08
On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 13:41:19 -0700 (PDT), Joe <joe...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Apr 1, 3:00 pm, Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

You obviously need a conservative shower head that doesn't give you a
rush full of hot water. Waterpic is fine. I ripped out the prefilter
and left the low-flo part, and it works fine on my low pressure (20 to
45 psi) system.

Seerialmom

Apr 1, 2008, 8:08:32 PM4/1/08
On Apr 1, 5:58 pm, "Lou" <lpogodajr292...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "Joe" <joe5...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> similar:http://www.gaiam.com/product/eco-home-outdoor/bathroom/shower-bath-fi...

That's similar to the one I posted also, I've also been able to adopt
some of these that were full of limescale and restored by soaking in
vinegar overnight :)

Logan Shaw

Apr 1, 2008, 10:01:42 PM4/1/08

I personally despise low-flow shower heads since to me the ideal shower
experience involves as much water as possible, as hot as possible (without
injury), coming down with the most force possible (again, without injury).

I stopped using low-flow shower heads once I learned that there are actually
shower heads on the market that are sold as low-flow (as required by the
government) but which can be converted into non-low-flow by an undocumented
procedure of removing a small piece of flow-restricting plastic.

However, before I learned that, I went on a search for the best low-flow
shower head I could find. My main criterion was that it should do the
as forceful a stream of water as possible, so that it would actually be
possible to get the soap off without standing under the shower rinsing
for 15 minutes. My secondary criterion was that it should have a water
shut-off valve. (I don't *like* wasting water; I'm perfectly happy to
shut off the stream at moments when I don't need it.) I settled on this
one:

http://www.alsons.com/classic/showerheads/products/650.aspx

The water comes out in a sort of frothy, harsh jet. It is not at all
like a stream of water gently trickling down from a waterfall or any
of that nonsense. :-) It was pretty cheap, and it's easy to operate
the water shut-off without changing the angle of the head. (I guess
that was the tertiary criterion, come to think of it.) All in all,
to me this shower head was about the best it gets in the low-flow
category.

The one I bought was sold at Home Depot. It was a couple of years ago,
so I don't know if they sell it anymore. Some searching at homedepot.com
would indicate they don't, but in my experience, that site is notoriously
hard to navigate, so I wouldn't trust it.

- Logan

Dennis

Apr 2, 2008, 4:25:56 PM4/2/08

But it sounds like he wants the all the benefit of a rich soak without
having to pay the cost himself. If that's the way he's leaning, he
should skip the conservative offerings and choose one from what's
left.

Seerialmom

Apr 2, 2008, 4:42:41 PM4/2/08

That was pretty much the same one I and another person listed.

hchi...@hotmail.com

Apr 2, 2008, 6:32:10 PM4/2/08

I dunno. From all I've seen of actual results, it is all a wash. You
won't find one that isn't labeled eco-friendly in some fashion, and
claim to save you money or your health. Some just spew, others try to
massage you, a few say they have a pulse but don't, most leave crusty
scum around in hard to reach places, clogging up the works, and all of
them cost way too much for simply lathering you up, hosing you down,
and keeping a few foreign invaders away from your system.

Rest assured, if you don't go looking for one while you are flush, and
spend a lot for extra features, you're bound to be disappointed in
what any of them have to offer vs. what is shown on the package. The
way some of them seem to be on the end of a flexible hose instead of a
steady platform, and blow happy stuff up your butt, I think they may
be more suited for the bidet.

---

GEORGE, Ron PAUL, JOHN... anyone see a pattern? Where is Ringo?

Dennis

Apr 2, 2008, 6:35:56 PM4/2/08

You may be right about that -- AFAICT there's little difference
between the three most popular fixtures and a cheap douche bag. I
mean, with choices like those, who needs enemas?

But the OP was concerned about the hair on his end being flat, so
maybe he's interested after all.

SergeTer

Apr 3, 2008, 4:30:14 AM4/3/08
On Apr 3, 12:35 am, Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 16:32:10 -0600, hchick...@hotmail.com wrote:

> "There is a fine line between participation and mockery" - Wally- Hide quoted text -

I can recommend my bidet-shower: Bidanit or Bidush
More details here: www.bidet-plastom.com

John Weiss

Apr 3, 2008, 9:37:46 PM4/3/08
"Seerialmom" <seeri...@yahoo.com> wrote...

> These are the type I've used in my homes for the past 30 years or so
(even though I never had metered water before...I still tried to
conserve during "drought" years):

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/water_saving_showerhead_9503.jpg

Same kind I use! Simple but effective!

John Weiss

Apr 3, 2008, 9:36:00 PM4/3/08
"Joe" <joe...@gmail.com> wrote...

> My water bill just was increased about 30% so I'm thinking I need to
> install low-flow showerheads. Can anyone recommend a decent brand that
> won't have me end with flat hair?

I don't know if there is any brand name on them, but I've been using simple
"Euro style" solid brass showerheads for 10+ years. Low flow, but the fine
spray pattern feels good. Even my water-monger wife is satisfied with them.

gjensen

Apr 4, 2008, 12:37:33 PM4/4/08

In addition to low flow shower heads this articlel has some great
suggests for saving water, cutting costs, and helping the earth too
http://www.familiesonlinemagazine.com/save-environment/water-conservation.html

JonL

Apr 5, 2008, 1:16:52 AM4/5/08

What's better than low-flow is No-flow. Just turn it off after wetting
down. Turn back on when ready to rinse. That's what we had to do when
we had 1500 Marines aboard our aircraft carrier.

Why wouldest a lower flow flatten hair.....??

tip: use a shower cap, after showering wash hair in sink with purified
water. Chlorine is hell on hair, skin, lungs, etc.