Unplug your cable. Get TV over the internet

Gordon

Sep 9, 2008, 5:44:01 PM9/9/08
Back in March I posted a message where I told everyone here
that I was pulling the plug on Comca$t and I was going to
get all my TV viewing off the internet. Well, the results
are in and the results are mixed. I thought that the rest
of the group might be intrested. So I created a web page
at www.gordonreeder.com/content/TVoIP.html. I'm not selling
anything, there are no ads, and no click throughs. Just
trying to share some knowledge.

Good news is that I found enough video to watch.
Bad news is that it's just not the same as cable.
current episodes are not broadcast on the internet
so you have to go to a web site to catch the show
the next day.
Good news is i found a lot of great stuff
out there that the cable co's don't carry.
(No, not _that_ stuff).

Good news is I'm not paying $50/month to Comcast
Bad news is that I'm paying $10.00 more to Verizon
for a faster internet connection.

Bad news is I had to listen to the wife and kids
bitch about missing their TV shows.
Good news is that they are getting used to it and
finding their shows on the internet.
More good news is that they are spending less time
sitting on their asses in front of the boob tube.
that includes the internet version of the boob tube
as well.

Frank

Sep 9, 2008, 6:42:55 PM9/9/08

"Gordon" <go...@alltomyself.com> wrote in message

> Back in March I posted a message where I told everyone here
> that I was pulling the plug on Comca$t and I was going to
> get all my TV viewing off the internet. Well, the results
> are in and the results are mixed. I thought that the rest
> of the group might be intrested. So I created a web page
> at www.gordonreeder.com/content/TVoIP.html. I'm not selling
> anything, there are no ads, and no click throughs. Just
> trying to share some knowledge.

The above link doesn't work. Is this the one?
http://mysite.verizon.net/g_reeder/Content/TVoIP.html

Bob F

Sep 9, 2008, 9:04:19 PM9/9/08

" Frank" <x> wrote in message

> The above link doesn't work. Is this the one?
> http://mysite.verizon.net/g_reeder/Content/TVoIP.html

Thank you. I've been hoping to find such a description.

Message has been deleted

m...@privacy.net

Sep 10, 2008, 5:04:08 PM9/10/08
Gordon <go...@alltomyself.com> wrote:

>Back in March I posted a message where I told everyone here
>that I was pulling the plug on Comca$t and I was going to
>get all my TV viewing off the internet. Well, the results
>are in and the results are mixed. I thought that the rest
>of the group might be intrested. So I created a web page
>at www.gordonreeder.com/content/TVoIP.html. I'm not selling
>anything, there are no ads, and no click throughs. Just
>trying to share some knowledge.

I for one am very interested in your
experiment as I've thought abt doing
same thing...getting ALL programming off
the Net and forgetting abt off air or
cable

Gordon

Sep 10, 2008, 5:48:42 PM9/10/08
" Frank" <x> wrote in news:38KdnaF9fINtZlvV...@comcast.com:

Yes. The first link should redirect there. I'm not sure
why it didn't.

Gordon

Sep 10, 2008, 6:04:38 PM9/10/08
m...@privacy.net wrote in news:vgdgc4dbpn02q0otc...@4ax.com:

Off air is pretty much free. All you need is one of those
digital converter boxes and an antenna. Once you have
that set up you can get a pretty good picture, if you have
decent reception. Since digital TV allows sub channels,
you will find that you have more content with a DTV
converter.
FWIW: Of the 12 local TV stations, only 2 have live internet
streams. And those are limited to locally produced shows.
Apearently the networks don't allow their local affiliats to
broadcast network content outside their local coverage areas.

TVoIP is still a very leading edge technology. Not eveyone
has heard about it. Including people in the entertainment
industry that should know about it. So some of the programming
that you would normally watch on cable can be pretty hard to find.

m...@privacy.net

Sep 11, 2008, 6:47:18 PM9/11/08
Gordon <go...@alltomyself.com> wrote:

>Off air is pretty much free. All you need is one of those
>digital converter boxes and an antenna.

Understand..... but there are some
locations where getting good DTV signal
is hard but getting a good wifi signal