Renter's Insurance - Coverage question

kdwo...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2008, 11:59:57 AM7/8/08

I just opened a policy for renter's insurance for my new two bedroom
apartment in the Boston area. It is a $25K policy for less than $400/
yr. I'm living with my girlfriend, who doesn't have her own policy. If
something were to happen, would my policy cover her possessions as
well, seeing as I am insuring the contents of the apartment?

Thanks for your help, it's the first time I have bought this type of
insurance.

Lou

Jul 8, 2008, 7:39:03 PM7/8/08

<kdwo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

It's been a long time, but my recollection is that you have to have an
"insurable interest" - that is, you have to own or have a stake in something
to be able to insure it and collect in the event of loss. You should be
asking your agent.

Message has been deleted

Truly Stunned

Jul 8, 2008, 10:11:13 PM7/8/08
In article
kdwo...@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just opened a policy for renter's insurance for my new two bedroom
> apartment in the Boston area. It is a $25K policy for less than $400/
> yr.

Holy crap! I pay $99/year for over $35K worth of coverage through
Costco, including special item coverage. We rent a refurbished 3-bedroom
three-story vintage farmhouse in Wisconsin. The policy covers all kinds
of loss: medical coverage liability, burglary, fire, storm damage and
much more. About the only thing it doesn't cover is intentional damage
and flood damage.

> I'm living with my girlfriend, who doesn't have her own policy. If
> something were to happen, would my policy cover her possessions as
> well, seeing as I am insuring the contents of the apartment?

Well, especially after reading the first part of your post, it's hard to
say. The Costco agent asked if there was anyone living with us who we
wanted covered, but the answer was no. You should call and ask your
agent.

> Thanks for your help, it's the first time I have bought this type of
> insurance.

Dude, you should definitely shop around. I bet you can get a much better
policy at a much better price.

Message has been deleted

Tim Smith

Jul 14, 2008, 12:15:12 AM7/14/08
In article <violin-DF9FE5....@news.supernews.com>,

Truly Stunned <vio...@thebridgeofsighs.sad> wrote:
> > I just opened a policy for renter's insurance for my new two bedroom
> > apartment in the Boston area. It is a $25K policy for less than $400/
> > yr.
>
> Holy crap! I pay $99/year for over $35K worth of coverage through
> Costco, including special item coverage. We rent a refurbished 3-bedroom

Last time I was renting, my renter's insurance was negative cost! It
was from the same company that I had my auto insurance from, and having
multiple policies with them qualified me for some discounts that ended
up being MORE than the cost of renter's insurance.

--
--Tim Smith

Truly Stunned

Jul 14, 2008, 1:30:28 AM7/14/08
In article <reply_in_group-16F...@news.supernews.com>,
Tim Smith <reply_i...@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

That's terrific. We also carry auto insurance through Costco, and that
may account for the price of our renters insurance. I've done a lot of
shopping around, but haven't found a better auto-insurance deal than the
one we are getting (about $150/year for our 14-y/o econo box w/ $500
deductibles and remarkably good coverage).