Re: Hard to be frugal with movies

Message has been deleted

Rod Speed

Mar 8, 2010, 11:25:40 PM3/8/10
Spork wrote

> Is it possible to be a cheapie and still enjoy
> the overwhelming amount of media out there?

Yep, hordes just steal it off the net.

> I have friends who could have a substaional amount of money
> saved but pour it all into buying games, movies, etc. They
> have closets and drawers full of the stuff. So much that they
> can't even find what they need not because they are messy.

Those that steal it off the net have an even bigger problem in that regard.

> Theater prices are insane.

Sure, havent been in one of those for something like 35 years.

> One movie director said that ticket prices should be $20 per person
> because consumers were not shouldering enough of the cost.

Fuck him.

> I could see how one family could easily put $100 + into a movie
> by going to the theater, buying the dvd, and then buying the bluray.

And save even more when stealing it off the net.

> The market is so saturated with selection even $15 is way
> high for a disc when its already made zillions at the theater.
> Or what about $30 + for a bluray? This is total insanity
> and I'm not sure why consumers put up with it.

Hordes dont, they steal it off the net.

> Or if your a gamer why do people pay 60 dollars
> for a game that is literally only 10 - 20 hours long?

They're fools with more money than sense.

Corse if no one did that, there wouldnt be many more games produced.

> I wait until the prices come down but even then I turn around and sell as
> soon as I finish it. This is such a hassle I've almost completely quit games.

> I've been with netflix for a very long time. They are awesome.

More convenient to get stuff off the net.

> I've seen a lot of older things and now I mostly look forward to
> new releases. Its very tough to get a new release. To top it off
> netflix made a deal to have a 1 month delay on some new movies.
> I'm at the point where I refuse to buy videos or go in a theater.
> I could pirate all the stuff but my conscious gets in the way.

Mine doesnt.

> It also feels just as wrong to pay the prices they ask.
> Whats a frugal person to do?

Steal it off the net.

> have more patience or stop watching movies?

Steal it off the net.

> I had most of my small video collection among other things stolen when
> my house was robbed several years ago. This was a wake up call for me
> that we never own anything. I have a job where I thought it would be one
> of the last places to lay people off. Its starting to happen and even rumors
> of the place closing in the future. I'm fairly confident yet that my job will
> be fine but it has renewed my interest in living a minimalist life style.

We didnt even get a recession.

SMS

Mar 8, 2010, 11:39:30 PM3/8/10
Spork wrote:

> Theater prices are insane. One movie director said that ticket prices

> should be $20 per person because consumers were not shouldering enough

> of the cost. I could see how one family could easily put $100 + into

> a movie by going to the theater, buying the dvd, and then buying the
> bluray.

Why would they buy the DVD and then buy the Blue-Ray disc?

The market is so saturated with selection even $15 is way high
> for a disc when its already made zillions at the theater. Or what
> about $30 + for a bluray? This is total insanity and I'm not sure why
> consumers put up with it.

It costs $1 to rent new releases from the Red Box machine at the
supermarket. Older movies are pretty cheap, $5-7 on sale. The library
has most of the classics to borrow for free. It's not even worth making
copies of the rental discs or library discs since other than children's
movies how many times do you want to watch the same movie?

Movie theater tickets are still relatively low priced because of the way
movie studios structure the cost to the theater. It's much more
profitable for a movie theater to charge $10 for a movie, $6 for
popcorn, and $4 for a drink, than to charge $15 for a movie, $3 for
popcorn, and $2 for a drink, because they get to keep all the revenue
from snacks, but very little of the ticket revenue. They need to fill as
many seats as possible in order to maximize snack bar revenue, and if
they charged $15 for a ticket they would have a tough time filling seats.

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Mar 9, 2010, 2:10:24 AM3/9/10
In article
<7vm0u6...@mid.individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > The market is so saturated with selection even $15 is way
> > high for a disc when its already made zillions at the theater.
> > Or what about $30 + for a bluray? This is total insanity
> > and I'm not sure why consumers put up with it.
>
> Hordes dont, they steal it off the net.

exactly how many is "hordes"?

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Napoleon

Mar 9, 2010, 8:53:32 AM3/9/10
On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 01:51:00 -0800 (PST), Spork <jedi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Avatar made over 2 billion worldwide. They spent under 300 million to
>make it. I wonder if that also accounts for the money they pay all the
>stars? It has the box office record but gone with the wind has the all
>times sales record. The amount of people going to the theater is
>declining and prices are creeping up to make up for losses. They
>could hand out dvd's for free and still be filthy rich.

I heard on talk radio the other day that the next big bubble in the
economy is going to be box office receipts. You watch. There's got to
be some way for the banksters to make money out of nothing. Did it
with housing, Internet, credit default swaps, oil. Now it's
Hollywood's turn.

Message has been deleted

Zuke

Mar 9, 2010, 12:21:17 PM3/9/10
On Tue, 9 Mar 2010, Dan Birchall wrote:

> rod.sp...@gmail.com (Rod Speed) wrote:
>> Spork wrote

>>> Theater prices are insane.
>> Sure, havent been in one of those for something like 35 years.
>

> I'm fortunate to live in a town with a "second-run" discount theater.
> If a movie looks like it might be amusing but not necessarily worth a
> $9 ticket, I can wait a couple months and see it for $1.
>
> Unfortunately, there don't seem to be as many second-run places around
> as there once were. :(

That's because the bedbugs ate them.

Rod Speed

Mar 9, 2010, 12:33:30 PM3/9/10
Dan Birchall wrote
> rod.sp...@gmail.com Rod Speed wrote:
>> Spork wrote

>>> Theater prices are insane.

>> Sure, havent been in one of those for something like 35 years.

> I'm fortunate to live in a town with a "second-run" discount theater.

My main objection isnt the price, I just dont like
the environment anything like as much as my house.

Much more convenient to be able to stop whenever I want etc too.

Corse I dont have the mega screen, but dont have the other apes either.

> If a movie looks like it might be amusing but not necessarily
> worth a $9 ticket, I can wait a couple months and see it for $1.

I havent rented anything for almost as long.

And havent watched many movies at all either.

I much prefer documentarys and fiction series to movies.

Much prefer stuff like The Wire and Jewel in the Crown to any recent movie.

> Unfortunately, there don't seem to be as many
> second-run places around as there once were. :(

We have some free ones, dont bother with them either.

SMS

Mar 9, 2010, 3:24:58 PM3/9/10
Dan Birchall wrote:

> Unfortunately, there don't seem to be as many second-run places around
> as there once were. :(

Must be hard to run a theater charging only $1 to see a movie. They just
re-opened a long closed second-run theater near me, and they are
charging $3.75. That's a good deal, but since you can get most DVDs for
less than $8 now, you really have to want to see the movie in a theater
to pay even $3.75.

Mar 9, 2010, 4:46:46 PM3/9/10

"SMS" <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote in message

Especially since you have to put up with other people in the theatre. Seems
there's always one talker or screaming brat. I can't remember the last time
I went to a movie theatre.

Les Cargill

Mar 9, 2010, 8:47:46 PM3/9/10

Ah! That's why all the admonitions to "don't let the bedbugs
bite" when I was a kid. If they'd only known.

--
Les Cargill

Les Cargill

Mar 9, 2010, 8:50:32 PM3/9/10
Spork wrote:
<snip>
> I would happily pay 50 - 60 dollars a month for
> a netflix on demand that has everything.

Netflix' on demand is very limited, but the high end
( 2-3 discs at once ) subscription is not that much.
And you don't have to store the discs.

--
Les Cargill

Message has been deleted

SMS

Mar 10, 2010, 1:42:56 PM3/10/10
Dan Birchall wrote:

> "SMS" <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
>> Dan Birchall wrote:
>>
>>> Unfortunately, there don't seem to be as many second-run places around
>>> as there once were. :(
>> Must be hard to run a theater charging only $1 to see a movie.
>
> Yeah - really, they're only making any money off the concessions, for
> which they charge typical movie theater prices. :) But even if I shell
> out for a giant lemonade or whatever, it's still only half the price of
> a ticket to the big theater out at the mall.

Yeah, but those second-run theaters suffer from the same problem of
people bringing in their own food and drinks. What's really bad is the
people that bring in small cooking appliances and start preparing food
inside the theater. The one near me had to turn off all of power outlets
in the theater during movies, and now they only turn them on when
they're doing cleaning.

Spork

Mar 10, 2010, 8:45:34 PM3/10/10
On Mar 10, 12:42 pm, SMS <scharf.ste...@geemail.com> wrote:
> Dan Birchall wrote:

> >> Must be hard to run a theater charging only $1 to see a movie.
>
> > Yeah - really, they're only making any money off the concessions, for
> > which they charge typical movie theater prices. :)  But even if I shell
> > out for a giant lemonade or whatever, it's still only half the price of
> > a ticket to the big theater out at the mall.

If I do go its usually on a weekend in the morning. Less crowds and
tickets are a few dollars cheaper. My gf and I usually share the drink
and popcorn. My theater at least has free refills.

frie...@zoocrewphoto.com

Mar 11, 2010, 3:24:28 AM3/11/10

We have a theater here that charges $2, and only $1 on Tuesdays. It is
the only theater where we actually buy popcorn. We don't go to that
many movies, but we check to see what is playing there. I see very few
movies at full price. I did see Avatar, in 3D Imax. That was cool.

I probably only see 2-3 movies per year.

As for buying DVDs, etc. I buy only my very favorites. Average 1 a
year. And I only have one movie in two different formats. VHS and DVD.
I would actually like to put that one on my portable player, but there
is no digital version for sale. I know somebody will ask which movie,
so the answer is LadyHawke. I love friesian horses (hence the email
address), as well as hawks and wolves.

Bill

Mar 11, 2010, 12:19:11 PM3/11/10
It is quite easy if you are patient...

I've not gone to a movie theater for years and I don't have paid TV. Thus I
have not seen many of the movies on VHS. Now I can buy VHS movies at yard
sales for $1 or less and have bought them at the last minute of the sale for
as low as 10 cents each!

And many of these movies I have never seen. So wait 10 years to see the
movie and it will be much less expensive...

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted