A small victory

The Real Bev

Sep 15, 2007, 10:52:09 PM9/15/07
Ralph's sells its own brand of chunk cheese every few weeks for 2 libs/$7.
Six varieties, only 5 of which are on sale. The 'extra sharp' variety is
NEVER included in the sale price. They clearly do this deliberately because
there's NEVER a 'sale price' label by the ES and it always scans at the
regular price. There is never an exclusionary notice.

The last time I asked the checker to scan it first and made a LOUD stink
about consistent (over years) deceptive sales practices and refused to buy
it. A few days later (and still within the sale period) the price of the
extra-sharp was reduced to the 2#/$7 of the other varieties.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Parallax

Sep 16, 2007, 6:39:30 PM9/16/07
The Real Bev wrote:
> Ralph's sells its own brand of chunk cheese every few weeks for 2
> libs/$7. Six varieties, only 5 of which are on sale. The 'extra sharp'
> variety is NEVER included in the sale price. They clearly do this
> deliberately because there's NEVER a 'sale price' label by the ES and it
> always scans at the regular price. There is never an exclusionary notice.
>
> The last time I asked the checker to scan it first and made a LOUD stink
> about consistent (over years) deceptive sales practices and refused to
> buy it. A few days later (and still within the sale period) the price
> of the extra-sharp was reduced to the 2#/$7 of the other varieties.

How is it deceptive if the Extra Sharp is never marked at the sale
price? If they want to only put certain varieties on sale, that's their
prerogative. I don't see the problem.

--

Replace '???????' with 'hotmail' to e-mail me.

The Real Bev

Sep 16, 2007, 8:05:25 PM9/16/07
Parallax wrote:

It's a problem if the regular-price items are mixed in with the sale-price
items. If 5 varieties of something are on sale, I don't think it's
unreasonable to believe that the 6th variety, in the middle of the other 5,
is also on sale and that the shelf label simply fell off.

If jack, jalapeno jack, colby, mild, medium and sharp are on sale, I think
that's a reasonable assumption. Oops, I mean 6 out of 7, not 5 out of 6.
Still, the principle holds...

The fact that they changed it also seems indicative.

--
Cheers, Bev
"We're so far beyond fucked we couldn't even catch a bus

George Grapman

Sep 16, 2007, 9:27:17 PM9/16/07
For a while the local Cala and Bell stores which are owned by
Krogers were selling all flavors of Gatorade except one at a sale price.
I only noticed it when I got that one flavor. The manager told the
checker to ring it up at the sale price.

turtlelover

Sep 16, 2007, 10:43:16 PM9/16/07

My local Shoprite recently had V8 V-Fusion (usually $3.99 each) on sale, two bottles for $5 (that's $2.50 each, to you and me!). The newest flavor, Pomegranate Blueberry, did not have the sale-price tag on the shelf, and it did not scan (they have test scanners) at the sale price.

I went to customer service and asked why it wasn't included (since the ad said "all varieties."), but they couldn't figure out why. Needless to say, I paid $2.50 per bottle. It's a shame that the coupons I had collected had expired a few weeks prior.

------------
Turtlelover

Rick

Sep 17, 2007, 1:08:43 PM9/17/07

I can see the point on this one. On the other side of the coin - lucky
us - the Market Basket chain here runs sales pricing on prepackaged
chunk cheeses all the time. Neither brand that comes up in these sales
is a store brand. But when the sale runs it's the same price on all
varieties by the same manufacturer.

Some grocery store chains can just annoy you into going elsewhere with
confounding pricing schemes. In my region? IMO, least annoying: Market
Basket. Most annoying: $top and $hop. And how about that? Best prices:
Market Basket. Highest prices: $top and $hop. Hmmm...

Rick

The Real Bev

Sep 17, 2007, 8:55:11 PM9/17/07
Rick wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>> Parallax wrote:

BTW, their jalapeno jack is really good.

>> > How is it deceptive if the Extra Sharp is never marked at the sale
>> > price? If they want to only put certain varieties on sale, that's their
>> > prerogative. I don't see the problem.
>>
>> It's a problem if the regular-price items are mixed in with the sale-price
>> items. If 5 varieties of something are on sale, I don't think it's
>> unreasonable to believe that the 6th variety, in the middle of the other 5,
>> is also on sale and that the shelf label simply fell off.

I watch the prices when I go through the line. I have not accidentally
bought the ES cheese at the non-sale price.

>> If jack, jalapeno jack, colby, mild, medium and sharp are on sale, I think
>> that's a reasonable assumption. Oops, I mean 6 out of 7, not 5 out of 6.
>> Still, the principle holds...
>>
>> The fact that they changed it also seems indicative.
>

> I can see the point on this one. On the other side of the coin - lucky
> us - the Market Basket chain here runs sales pricing on prepackaged
> chunk cheeses all the time. Neither brand that comes up in these sales
> is a store brand. But when the sale runs it's the same price on all
> varieties by the same manufacturer.
>
> Some grocery store chains can just annoy you into going elsewhere with
> confounding pricing schemes. In my region? IMO, least annoying: Market
> Basket. Most annoying: $top and $hop. And how about that? Best prices:
> Market Basket. Highest prices: $top and $hop. Hmmm...

I loved Market Basket when we had it. Our particular store had the best
prices in the country -- I know because we did a lot of cross-country
traveling then. Hughes (a small local chain) bought them out and was in
turn bought out by Ralph's -- a drop in value and an increase in
"amenities". Screw 'em.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Message has been deleted

hchi...@hotmail.com

Feb 7, 2008, 6:37:40 PM2/7/08
On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 00:00:35 -0000, Dan Birchall
<nob...@imaginary-host.danbirchall.com> wrote:

>bashley1...@gmail.com (The Real Bev) wrote:
>> Ralph's sells its own brand of chunk cheese every few weeks for
>> 2 libs/$7.

>(But how much are the conservatives?)
>
>> ...The 'extra sharp' variety is NEVER included in the sale price.
>B@stards! That's the best kind!

>> The last time I asked the checker to scan it first and made a LOUD stink
>> about consistent (over years) deceptive sales practices and refused to buy
>> it. A few days later (and still within the sale period) the price of the
>> extra-sharp was reduced to the 2#/$7 of the other varieties.

>You go, Bev!

Never underestimate the power of an extra-sharp tongue-lashing. :-)

Dennis

Feb 7, 2008, 7:55:07 PM2/7/08

We had to get rid of all the extra-sharp cheese when we baby-proofed
our house.

(Sneaky little devils still got in...)
Dennis (evil)

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Feb 7, 2008, 8:33:55 PM2/7/08

"Dan Birchall" <nob...@imaginary-host.danbirchall.com> wrote in message

> bashley1...@gmail.com (The Real Bev) wrote:
>> Ralph's sells its own brand of chunk cheese every few weeks for
>> 2 libs/$7.
> (But how much are the conservatives?)

cheaper. libs will cost you way too much :)

hchi...@hotmail.com

Feb 7, 2008, 9:12:56 PM2/7/08

Aw heck. I baby-proofed ours in Florida and we never saw one there,
but we had lots of cheese.

Dawn

Feb 8, 2008, 10:26:22 AM2/8/08
On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 00:00:35 -0000, Dan Birchall
<nob...@imaginary-host.danbirchall.com> wrote:

>bashley1...@gmail.com (The Real Bev) wrote:

>> Ralph's sells its own brand of chunk cheese every few weeks for
>> 2 libs/$7.

>(But how much are the conservatives?)
>
>> ...The 'extra sharp' variety is NEVER included in the sale price.
>B@stards! That's the best kind!
>

>> The last time I asked the checker to scan it first and made a LOUD stink
>> about consistent (over years) deceptive sales practices and refused to buy
>> it. A few days later (and still within the sale period) the price of the
>> extra-sharp was reduced to the 2#/$7 of the other varieties.

>You go, Bev!

Wowowowowow. It's Dan. Glad to see you here. Miss having you post
often.
Dawn, who keeps up with you at multiply, but can't say 'hi' there.