Miss Manners: On collecting your tip money

leno...@yahoo.com

Jan 1, 2008, 7:20:37 PM1/1/08
It's the last letter.

http://www.mercurynews.com/entertainmentheadlines/ci_7842577?nclick_check=1

DEAR MISS MANNERS: I am a bartender for private parties and I work
for a wage and tips. My company does not allow us to put out a tip
jar, and I think when they book the parties, they let the customer
believe that our gratuity is included in the cost of the
party.........

Lenona.

Beachcomber

Jan 1, 2008, 9:04:52 PM1/1/08

Well if the customer engaged the services of your company on that
basis... shouldn't you be getting your tip from your employer?

I know if I hired a bartender for my private party, I wouldn't want
you soliciting tips from my guests.

If you did a really great job... I would consider tipping you myself
discretely, and after the party.

Your company really needs to make clear what the terms are during the
sales presentation.

Beachcomber

leno...@yahoo.com

Jan 1, 2008, 9:26:17 PM1/1/08
On Jan 1, 9:04 pm, inva...@notreal.none (Beachcomber) wrote:

> Well if the customer engaged the services of your company on that
> basis... shouldn't you be getting your tip from your employer?
>
> I know if I hired a bartender for my private party, I wouldn't want
> you soliciting tips from my guests.

That's pretty much what MM said, and she had more to say. Click on the
link.

Lenona.

Mac Cool

Jan 2, 2008, 1:09:54 AM1/2/08

leno...@yahoo.com

Jan 2, 2008, 2:17:38 PM1/2/08

> Requires a log in.
>
> --
> Mac Cool

Don't know why that didn't happen with me.

Try this:

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&tab=wn&ned=us&q=%22miss+manners%22+bartender

Lenona.

Lou

Jan 2, 2008, 8:52:59 PM1/2/08

<leno...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Well, I think it's even odds that the bartender is imagining things and then
responding to those imaginings as though they were fact. After all, s/he
writes "I think when . . ."

Why does s/he think so? Has a host or hostess said so? Has s/he called the
company in the guise of a prospective customer to hear the actual pitch?
Does the bartender submit a bill to the host or hostess and is there a note
on the bill that a gratuity has been added? Is the bartender's paycheck
from the company below minimum wage?

I've never hired a bartender for a party in my home, but I have attended
parties where it's been done, and it's never occurred to me as a guest to
tip the bartender, or the disc jockey, or any of the other help, any more
than I would reimburse my host for the cost of dinner. The only time I've
hired a bartender was for my daughter's wedding, and again, it never
occurred to me to tip the guy - I assumed the fee was the price.

I do tip in bars and restaurants, but if there's a note on the menu or the
bill to the effect that "xx% gratuity added for parties greater than yy
persons" I don't add a tip to that as well, though I have no way of knowing
if the restaurant actually distributes the gratuity to the people performing
the service.

Beachcomber

Jan 2, 2008, 8:53:29 PM1/2/08

When I go to the barber (actually a strip mall where Korean ladies cut
my hair), I always leave a tip.

What is so special about Christmas for people like hotel porters,
barbers and food service people? Normally they get tipped year round
anyway.

On the other hand, there are some jobs like doorman, who don't
normally get a tip each time they perform a service. If you are going
to tip them, it makes sense to do it during the holiday.