Have I been living a deprived life and didn't even know it?

gggg gggg

Oct 16, 2022, 11:05:39 PM10/16/22
Concerning complacency and THE HANDMAID'S TALE:

- ...[It is] “truly amazing, what people can get used to, as long as there are a few compensations.”

https://www.sparknotes.com/lit/handmaid/themes/

Dim Witte

Oct 17, 2022, 3:07:40 PM10/17/22
Of old, women were indeed protected, elevated, revered and controlled, as of necessity.

Now, especially since women have gotten suffrage and legal entitlement to inheritance, they are controlling finances and flaunting institutions and conventions, even to the extent of adopting Hollywood sirens' displays of porn, tattoos, and of course what used to be called profane speech. And our news media make a sport of it, showing women fighting in public, doing ugly things to get attention.

Hard to know what women's virtues are anymore, so many are prostituting themselves for survival, getting drug dependent, aborting unwanted children.

So I'd say you're talking about "depraved life," too.

gggg gggg

Nov 7, 2022, 2:01:04 AM11/7/22
- The art of life is to know how to enjoy a little and to endure very much.

William Hazlitt

Dim Witte

Nov 7, 2022, 6:36:46 AM11/7/22
Some words by William Hazlett I found are like that.

"It is a good old rule to hope for the best. Always, my dear, believe things to be right, till you find them the contrary; and even then, instead of irritating yourself against them, endeavour to put up with them as well as you can, if you cannot alter them."

gggg gggg

Mar 16, 2023, 5:27:34 AM3/16/23
On Sunday, November 6, 2022 at 11:01:04 PM UTC-8, wrote:
> > Concerning complacency and THE HANDMAID'S TALE:
> >
> > - ...[It is] “truly amazing, what people can get used to, as long as there are a few compensations.”
> >
> > https://www.sparknotes.com/lit/handmaid/themes/
> - The art of life is to know how to enjoy a little and to endure very much.
>
> William Hazlitt

- Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.

"Gone With the Wind"