The wrong response to higher food prices

timeOday

Sep 10, 2008, 12:52:52 PM9/10/08
<http://money.cnn.com/2008/09/09/pf/food_downsizing/index.htm>
"As manufacturers cope with the rising cost of raw ingredients and fuel,
downsizing their package sizes is one increasingly popular way to pass
along a price increase without drawing too much attention."
------------------------

Fortunately, the government requires producers to indicate the net
weight of the food on the packaging, and the grocery store indicates the
price per ounce. So the somewhat deceptive aspect of this is manageable.

My real problem with this policy is that packaging is expensive. Buying
larger quantities at a time is one way to save money, yet producers are
doing the opposite. So this particular response to higher food prices
just exacerbates the problem!

Al Bundy

Sep 11, 2008, 8:47:27 AM9/11/08

So buy more raw food products and bulk items where possible.

Lou

Sep 14, 2008, 10:57:40 AM9/14/08

'simeOday" <timeOda...@theknack.net> wrote in message

Manufacturers have been doing this at least since the 1960's. Obviously, it
only works so far. Otherwise package sizes today would be approaching the
microscopic in size, or we'd have to infer that package sizes where
gargantuan back 50 years ago.

ares

Sep 15, 2008, 5:00:36 PM9/15/08
Not only that, it make for more garbage, and having to use multiple packages
to fill you
up; this trend has gotten me really annoyed.
ares