Re: Improvising a lawnmower gas cap

James H.

Jul 10, 2010, 1:38:27 AM7/10/10
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 19:09:32 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> there have been enough folks down this path before to make
> it profitable for someone to carry replacements.<g>

My Craftsman 917.388853 6.5 HP 21" push mower (Consumer Reports Best Buy in
2005) came with this "fancy" gas cap that supposedly "preserved the gas".

After a couple of seasons, the fancy gas-preserving cap couldn't preserve
itself, and it broke into pieces. I just put a gas-can cap on. It fit. But
the engine kept quitting after a while. So I loosened it up when I was
cutting the lawn.

I'm curious WHAT is the difference between a gas-can cap and a lawn mower
gasoline tank cap? (The threads are the same.)

hal...@aol.com

Jul 10, 2010, 5:52:29 AM7/10/10

> After a couple of seasons, the fancy gas-preserving cap couldn't preserve
> itself, and it broke into pieces. I just put a gas-can cap on. It fit. But
> the engine kept quitting after a while. So I loosened it up when I was
> cutting the lawn.
>
> I'm curious WHAT is the difference between a gas-can cap and a lawn mower
> gasoline tank cap? (The threads are the same.)

gas can caps are non vented designed to seal and not let vapors in or

mower caps are vented so as gasoline is used air can enter the tank,
otherwise the engine will quit after awhile stareved for fuel.

how do i know this? many many years ago my mowers vent cap
malfunctioned and quit venting.

engine would run for awhile then quit. i would check gasoline level
put back cap mower would run again for awhile then quit.....

what the heck? thats when i learned about gasoline cap venting:)