IRS stimulus checks

Ken

May 14, 2008, 11:54:26 AM5/14/08
Is there any up-to-date info on line concerning these checks? SS# range of
checks sent so far? I read somewhere, a month or so ago, before payments
started, that my number was to be in the first group mailed. The IRS site
discussing stimulus check info was last updated March 10.

Guess what? I haven't received my check.<g> My 2007 income tax return was
filed early in April.

TIA

Ken

Truly Stunned

May 14, 2008, 12:26:49 PM5/14/08
In article <Xns9A9E5A9B98...@130.133.1.4>,
Ken <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:

> Is there any up-to-date info on line concerning these checks? SS# range of
> checks sent so far? I read somewhere, a month or so ago, before payments
> started, that my number was to be in the first group mailed. The IRS site
> discussing stimulus check info was last updated March 10.
>
> Guess what? I haven't received my check.<g> My 2007 income tax return was
> filed early in April.
>
> TIA
>
> Ken

Got all my refunds already. Everything was settled up by May 10, even
though I didn't file my return until April 15. I got just under $4,000
back, including my "stimulation" check, although I had to make a $5,000
deposit into an IRA to increase it to that amount. I'm so stimulated, my
underwear is stained.

Oh, yes. I have been stroked. MMmmmm-mmm. Now all I have to do is figure
out how to stop them from taking so goddammed much out of this year's
revenue stream. I'd rather pay than get any refund at all. That 4 grand
would have grossed me more than $300 at the interest rates I've been
averaging last year.

You can find out that status of your federal return and your estimated
"stimulus" check mailing at irs.gov.

Dave

May 14, 2008, 12:40:38 PM5/14/08

"Ken" <inv...@invalid.com> wrote in message

> Is there any up-to-date info on line concerning these checks? SS# range of
> checks sent so far? I read somewhere, a month or so ago, before payments
> started, that my number was to be in the first group mailed. The IRS site
> discussing stimulus check info was last updated March 10.
>
> Guess what? I haven't received my check.<g> My 2007 income tax return was
> filed early in April.
>
> TIA
>
> Ken

OK, this is confusing, as some people have already got the stimulus payment.
Those that got a tax refund by DIRECT DEPOSIT, many of those have received
the stimulus payment by DIRECT DEPOSIT to the same account.

But if you were first according to your SS# range, then your check has not
been mailed yet, it's due to be mailed on Friday of this week, so you should
receive it about Tuesday of next week. -Dave

Seerialmom

May 14, 2008, 2:45:45 PM5/14/08

irs.gov is the place to check and it has all those answers. Direct
deposit people got theirs from 5/2-5/16 I believe and snail mail check
recipients will get theirs later.

William Souden

May 14, 2008, 3:46:32 PM5/14/08

I am always surprised at the number of people who opt for snail mail
be it tax rebates,refunds,benefits checks or other things. I will be
traveling when my money arrives but will have immediate access to the funds.

Dave

May 14, 2008, 5:49:20 PM5/14/08

> I am always surprised at the number of people who opt for snail mail be
> it tax rebates,refunds,benefits checks or other things. I will be
> traveling when my money arrives but will have immediate access to the
> funds.

You are aware that direct deposit works BOTH ways, right? That is, if the
Government decides that you goofed on your tax return, they now have full
access to your bank account to conveniently correct the error for
u. -Dave

Truly Stunned

May 15, 2008, 6:07:46 AM5/15/08
In article <g0fmos$f2k$1...@registered.motzarella.org>,
"Dave" <no...@nohow.not> wrote:

That seems to be the fear. Like most fear, it inhibits rational behavior
(makes official kidnapping and torture seem acceptable, for instance).
In fact, government at any level has *always* had access to individual
accounts in exactly the same manner as long as they have all the
paperwork in order. Doesn't matter whether or not the account owner uses
direct deposit or not.

Dave

May 15, 2008, 6:43:55 AM5/15/08

> That seems to be the fear. Like most fear, it inhibits rational behavior
> (makes official kidnapping and torture seem acceptable, for instance).
> In fact, government at any level has *always* had access to individual
> accounts in exactly the same manner as long as they have all the
> paperwork in order. Doesn't matter whether or not the account owner uses
> direct deposit or not.

The difference is, with direct deposit, you are giving the government
permission, in advance, to take your funds away from you. For any reason,
without asking you first. -Dave

George Grapman

May 15, 2008, 7:12:50 AM5/15/08

I worked with a person who had tax issues. He had no direct deposit
but one day he found his bank account had been frozen and a lien placed
on his pay check.
I found it amusing because at the time we were being wrongly
classified as independent contractors and he laughed at those of us who
paid taxes.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Gene S. Berkowitz

May 16, 2008, 12:34:12 AM5/16/08
In article <Xns9A9E5A9B98...@130.133.1.4>, inv...@invalid.com
says...

> Is there any up-to-date info on line concerning these checks? SS# range of
> checks sent so far? I read somewhere, a month or so ago, before payments
> started, that my number was to be in the first group mailed. The IRS site
> discussing stimulus check info was last updated March 10.
>
> Guess what? I haven't received my check.<g> My 2007 income tax return was
> filed early in April.
>
> TIA
>
> Ken
From IRS.gov:

DIRECT DEPOSIT

Last two SSN digits: Payments will be transmitted no later than
(and received by the end of the day of):
00 through 20 May 2
21 through 75 May 9
76 through 99 May 16

PAPER CHECK

Last two SSN digits: Payments will be mailed no later than (and
received a few days after):
00 through 09 May 16
10 through 18 May 23
19 through 25 May 30