Lost $152 on Trafone service renewal

Terri Smith

Dec 21, 2010, 8:12:03 PM12/21/10
Not looking for help, just want to warn other of a problem I ran into.

Long time user of TracFone. Recently renewed my service and added minutes
at cost of $152 Phone shows expected expriation date and minutes.

A short time later unexpected minutes appeared on phone then tracfone
disabled service. They admit it was their error but won't enable service
unless I send a money order for over $100. Not willing to do that. They
say it's my only option. They won't remove the minutes they added in error,
they won't give me the money back and they won't enable the phone. Besides
losing the $152, I'm losing all the carry-over minutes I had

FWIW, I have spent many hours on the phone trying to resolve this. Years
ago TF would have fixed this. Not sure whats changed but even the call
center folks seem upset that they don't have authority to fix this.

Also - TF never told me service was disabled - found out when I tried to
make a call.

Dec 22, 2010, 3:26:20 AM12/22/10
In article <4d114d6c$0$29073$8826...@blocknews.net>,

Terri Smith <ts8 at soalex.us> wrote:
>Not looking for help, just want to warn other of a problem I ran into.
>
>Long time user of TracFone. Recently renewed my service and added minutes
>at cost of $152 Phone shows expected expriation date and minutes.
>
>A short time later unexpected minutes appeared on phone then tracfone
>disabled service. They admit it was their error but won't enable service
>unless I send a money order for over $100. Not willing to do that. They
>say it's my only option. They won't remove the minutes they added in error,
>they won't give me the money back and they won't enable the phone. Besides
>losing the $152, I'm losing all the carry-over minutes I had
>
>FWIW, I have spent many hours on the phone trying to resolve this. Years
>ago TF would have fixed this. Not sure whats changed but even the call
>center folks seem upset that they don't have authority to fix this.
>
>Also - TF never told me service was disabled - found out when I tried to
>make a call.

Their call center CS drones will be of no use.
You need to talk to their people in Miami, used to be called Executive
Resolutions.

Message has been deleted

Rod Speed

Dec 22, 2010, 1:50:31 PM12/22/10
Anthony R. Gold wrote:

> Maybe your problem with TracFone is connected with a difficulty
> in expressing yourself clearly. You said that you had already paid
> for renewed service and you also paid for added minutes but you
> have not explained anything about the money order, why it is being
> requested or what that money would pay for. Is this new money for
> something different or replacement money for something that had
> been accidentally refunded.

She appears to be saying that they credited her with many more minutes
than she had initially paid for in error and that they refuse to correct that
and want her to pay for those extra minutes they added in error.

Hopeless customer service if thats what happened, presumably
the droid cant work out how to reverse the error and hasnt got
the balls to admit to their supervisor that they cant fix the error,
or the supervisor is just as completely hopeless.

I believe that she said that pretty clear, that she got
extra minutes in error and that they wont fix that error.

Maybe their system wont allow the droids to do that so the droids
cant fiddle with the minutes and do so for people they know.

> Anyway, good luck.

> Terri Smith <ts8 at soalex.us> wrote

>> Not looking for help, just want to warn other of a problem I ran into.

Terri Smith

Dec 22, 2010, 2:34:33 PM12/22/10
Yes - I paid for 2 yrs and got 3. They have cut off all service until I
send MO for 3rd yr. (Also 2 yrs was $76/yr - they want ~ $120 for 3rd yr)

I'm not willing to send MO and they won't return the $152

"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

danny burstein

Dec 22, 2010, 7:44:11 PM12/22/10
In <4d124fc9$0$16609$8826...@blocknews.net> " Terri Smith" <ts8 at soalex.us> writes:

>Yes - I paid for 2 yrs and got 3. They have cut off all service until I
>send MO for 3rd yr. (Also 2 yrs was $76/yr - they want ~ $120 for 3rd yr)

>I'm not willing to send MO and they won't return the $152

If you've spent, as you say, hours on the phone with them,
then you've spent way too many hours wasting your time.

After five minutes and two or three calls, the proper
step is simply to drop a note to your State Attorney
General and ask them to intervene.

Much simpler. Much more effective.

dan...@panix.com

Shawn Hirn

Dec 22, 2010, 8:00:56 PM12/22/10
In article <4d114d6c$0$29073$8826...@blocknews.net>,

" Terri Smith" <ts8 at soalex.us> wrote:

> Not looking for help, just want to warn other of a problem I ran into.
>
> Long time user of TracFone. Recently renewed my service and added minutes
> at cost of $152 Phone shows expected expriation date and minutes.
>
> A short time later unexpected minutes appeared on phone then tracfone
> disabled service. They admit it was their error but won't enable service
> unless I send a money order for over $100. Not willing to do that. They
> say it's my only option. They won't remove the minutes they added in error,
> they won't give me the money back and they won't enable the phone. Besides
> losing the $152, I'm losing all the carry-over minutes I had
>
> FWIW, I have spent many hours on the phone trying to resolve this. Years
> ago TF would have fixed this. Not sure whats changed but even the call
> center folks seem upset that they don't have authority to fix this.
>
> Also - TF never told me service was disabled - found out when I tried to
> make a call.

That's ridiculous. If I were you, I would sue TF in small claims court.

Terri Smith

Dec 23, 2010, 8:04:04 AM12/23/10

> FWIW, I have spent many hours on the phone trying to resolve this.
> Years
> ago TF would have fixed this. Not sure whats changed but even the call
> center folks seem upset that they don't have authority to fix this.
>
> Also - TF never told me service was disabled - found out when I tried to
> make a call.

That's ridiculous. If I were you, I would sue TF in small claims court.

=================================

Actually I called my credit card company - Visa.. Visa asked me to stay on
the phone. They said they had a special phone number & a code that would
cut through the delay. They did get what sounded like an office in the U.S.
and the TF person agreed to get right on it while we were on the phone.
Then they told Visa they could not get through to the department that could
fix the problem and would have to get back to them. In yesterday's mail I
got a letter from Visa saying TF did not respond. They credited my account
with the $152.

This reinforces why I posted the original note as a warning. TF had been a
good company in the past but something is clearly broken. Consumer be
warned!

Vic Smith

Dec 23, 2010, 3:40:05 PM12/23/10
On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 08:04:04 -0500, " Terri Smith" <ts8 at soalex.us>
wrote:

Also shows how using a CC can easily get your money back in this type
of dispute.

--Vic

Rod Speed

Dec 23, 2010, 4:21:36 PM12/23/10
Vic Smith wrote

> Terri Smith <ts8 at soalex.us> wrote

>>> That's ridiculous. If I were you, I would sue TF in small claims court.

>> Actually I called my credit card company - Visa.. Visa asked me to

>> stay on the phone. They said they had a special phone number & a
>> code that would cut through the delay. They did get what sounded
>> like an office in the U.S. and the TF person agreed to get right on
>> it while we were on the phone. Then they told Visa they could not
>> get through to the department that could fix the problem and would
>> have to get back to them. In yesterday's mail I got a letter from Visa
>> saying TF did not respond. They credited my account with the $152.

>> This reinforces why I posted the original note as a warning. TF had
>> been a good company in the past but something is clearly broken.
>> Consumer be warned!

> Also shows how using a CC can easily get your money back in this type of dispute.

And a hell of a lot easier to use than the small claims court too.

Bob F

Dec 24, 2010, 3:56:36 PM12/24/10

"danny burstein" <dan...@panix.com> wrote in message

> In <4d124fc9$0$16609$8826...@blocknews.net> " Terri Smith" <ts8 at soalex.us>
> writes:
>
>>Yes - I paid for 2 yrs and got 3. They have cut off all service until I
>>send MO for 3rd yr. (Also 2 yrs was $76/yr - they want ~ $120 for 3rd yr)
>
>>I'm not willing to send MO and they won't return the $152
>
> If you've spent, as you say, hours on the phone with them,
> then you've spent way too many hours wasting your time.
>
> After five minutes and two or three calls, the proper
> step is simply to drop a note to your State Attorney
> General and ask them to intervene.
>
> Much simpler. Much more effective.

Or, just go to small calims court.

Terri Smith

Dec 25, 2010, 7:27:56 AM12/25/10
Forgot to mention 'nuther problem with how TracFone handled this.

Typ use TF when I'm meeting someone. Found problem when went to make a
somewhat urgent call. Apparently phone been disabled for more then a month.
I never got any notification via home phone, email, or by letter and the
phone display still indicates it's in service.

For a company, that must know how people rely on cell phones, to disable a
phone without advanced warning is bad. But to not even send a followup note
is amazing.

DevilsPGD

Dec 26, 2010, 1:55:53 AM12/26/10
In message <4d15e03e$0$23397$8826...@blocknews.net> " Terri Smith" <ts8

It's almost like they don't care about you or your money.

Rod Speed

Dec 26, 2010, 4:11:11 PM12/26/10
DevilsPGD wrote
> Terri Smith <ts8 at soalex.us> wrote

>> Forgot to mention 'nuther problem with how TracFone handled this.

>> Typ use TF when I'm meeting someone. Found problem when went
>> to make a somewhat urgent call. Apparently phone been disabled
>> for more then a month. I never got any notification via home phone,
>> email, or by letter and the phone display still indicates it's in service.

>> For a company, that must know how people rely on cell phones, to
>> disable a phone without advanced warning is bad. But to not even
>> send a followup note is amazing.

> It's almost like they don't care about you or your money.

Or someone has been stupid enough to implement a system
to stop the droids reversing errors like that so they cant give
handouts to people they know by rorting the system.

Bill

Dec 26, 2010, 5:33:25 PM12/26/10
On 12/23/2010 3:40 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 08:04:04 -0500, " Terri Smith"<ts8 at soalex.us>
> wrote:
>>
>> Actually I called my credit card company - Visa.. Visa asked me to stay on
>> the phone. They said they had a special phone number& a code that would

>> cut through the delay. They did get what sounded like an office in the U.S.
>> and the TF person agreed to get right on it while we were on the phone.
>> Then they told Visa they could not get through to the department that could
>> fix the problem and would have to get back to them. In yesterday's mail I
>> got a letter from Visa saying TF did not respond. They credited my account
>> with the $152.
>>
>> This reinforces why I posted the original note as a warning. TF had been a
>> good company in the past but something is clearly broken. Consumer be
>> warned!
>
> Also shows how using a CC can easily get your money back in this type
> of dispute.
>
> --Vic

It also shows why you should use your credit card for everything since
it makes getting things corrected much easier.

BTW, Terri, your credit card company is not Visa, at least not the
people you deal with on disputes. Presumably you contacted the bank who
issued the card, someone like Chase or Citi and they resolved the issue
for you. Also, did you read the letter carefully? Did it say that the
credit is permanent or that it is credited temporarily while the dispute
is investigated? How long ago was it that you opened the dispute?

Bill

Bill

Dec 26, 2010, 5:35:31 PM12/26/10
On 12/22/2010 7:44 PM, danny burstein wrote:
> In<4d124fc9$0$16609$8826...@blocknews.net> " Terri Smith"<ts8 at soalex.us> writes:
>
>> Yes - I paid for 2 yrs and got 3. They have cut off all service until I
>> send MO for 3rd yr. (Also 2 yrs was $76/yr - they want ~ $120 for 3rd yr)
>
>> I'm not willing to send MO and they won't return the $152
>
> If you've spent, as you say, hours on the phone with them,
> then you've spent way too many hours wasting your time.
>
> After five minutes and two or three calls, the proper
> step is simply to drop a note to your State Attorney
> General and ask them to intervene.
>
> Much simpler. Much more effective.

Danny, aren't you in New York? I challenge you to call the NY Attorney
General's office and get action on a single consumer's complaint. I've
written to the NY AG's office in the past and never gotten a response.
Probably works better in smaller states with AG offices interested in
helping the individual consumer.

Bill

danny burstein

Dec 26, 2010, 5:44:12 PM12/26/10

>Danny, aren't you in New York? I challenge you to call the NY Attorney
>General's office and get action on a single consumer's complaint. I've
>written to the NY AG's office in the past and never gotten a response.
>Probably works better in smaller states with AG offices interested in
>helping the individual consumer.

You've got to hit them (the AG's office) during an election year...

DevilsPGD

Dec 27, 2010, 12:53:04 AM12/27/10
In message <if8frn$a06$1...@news.eternal-september.org> Bill

<bill...@prodigy.net> was claimed to have wrote:

>BTW, Terri, your credit card company is not Visa, at least not the
>people you deal with on disputes. Presumably you contacted the bank who
>issued the card, someone like Chase or Citi and they resolved the issue
>for you. Also, did you read the letter carefully? Did it say that the
>credit is permanent or that it is credited temporarily while the dispute
>is investigated?

It doesn't really matter, the customer will win the dispute (if they
push, anyway). The customer paid for service, the company is now
demanding more money to deliver the service for which the customer
already paid.

DevilsPGD

Dec 27, 2010, 12:53:04 AM12/27/10
In message <8nppbi...@mid.individual.net> "Rod Speed"

"It's almost like they don't care about you or your money." would seem
to apply, possibly doubly so if the system were intentionally designed
this way.

Dec 27, 2010, 10:10:31 AM12/27/10

"Bill" <bill...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

> Danny, aren't you in New York? I challenge you to call the NY Attorney
> General's office and get action on a single consumer's complaint. I've
> written to the NY AG's office in the past and never gotten a response.
> Probably works better in smaller states with AG offices interested in
> helping the individual consumer.

I've written 5 or 6 times over the years and the NYAG's office always
responds. I always send a letter to the company with "cc: AG's office" on
it. That's usually enough. In only one case did the company not immediately
contact me and make it right. I sued that guy in Small Claims Court and won.
He did not, of course, pay me the $5k. The AG's office investigated him for
fraud (home repair scam) and fined him all sorts of money and required
restitution, which he also didn't pay.

Vic Smith

Dec 27, 2010, 11:18:47 AM12/27/10
On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 10:10:31 -0500, "h" <tmc...@searchmachine.com>
wrote:

My ma got taken by a company infested with chimney shakers and the AG
got her money back. Illinois.
Don't know if my big BIL paying them a visit helped or not.
But I give the AG the credit.
If it's a fly-by night outfit sometimes your money is just gone.

--Vic

k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

Dec 27, 2010, 2:07:48 PM12/27/10
On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 10:10:31 -0500, "h" <tmc...@searchmachine.com> wrote:

Doesn't sound like the AG's intervention was very useful.

Rod Speed

Dec 27, 2010, 2:28:07 PM12/27/10
DevilsPGD wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>> DevilsPGD wrote
>>> Terri Smith <ts8 at soalex.us> wrote

>>> It's almost like they don't care about you or your money.

>> Or someone has been stupid enough to implement a system
>> to stop the droids reversing errors like that so they cant give
>> handouts to people they know by rorting the system.

> "It's almost like they don't care about you or your money." would seem to apply,

Nope.

> possibly doubly so if the system were intentionally designed this way.

Thats not not caring about you or your money, its a stupid attempt
to try to minimise the theft of your money by dishonest droids.

If they didnt care about your money, they wouldnt bother to prevent theft.

Terri Smith

Dec 27, 2010, 4:23:29 PM12/27/10

"Bill" <bill...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

Bill

You are correct Bill, it is with the Bank and it is a temporary credit
while the dispute is open. What was interesting though, is Bank had me on
the phone for the initial call. They said they had a special phone number
for tracfone and a speical code that would cut thru to the top. They TF rep
that answered the call was not able to answer the Banks basic questioin.
After a half-hour Bank guy gave up and said he issue the credit -- but TF
has 60 days to respond.

Terri

Terri Smith

Dec 27, 2010, 4:26:58 PM12/27/10

"DevilsPGD" <Still-Just-A-...@crazyhat.net> wrote in message

While I may get money back from bank for the recent add'l service time I
bought, the phone still we be disabled. So i will be out the cost of the
phone and more importantly will have lost the phone number that a lot of
people have in their directories. Also losing a lot of carry over minutes.

Rod Speed

Dec 27, 2010, 5:06:11 PM12/27/10
Terri Smith wrote
> DevilsPGD <Still-Just-A-...@crazyhat.net> wrote
>> Bill <bill...@prodigy.net> wrote

>>> BTW, Terri, your credit card company is not Visa, at least not the
>>> people you deal with on disputes. Presumably you contacted the bank
>>> who issued the card, someone like Chase or Citi and they resolved
>>> the issue for you. Also, did you read the letter carefully? Did it
>>> say that the credit is permanent or that it is credited temporarily
>>> while the dispute is investigated?

>> It doesn't really matter, the customer will win the dispute (if they push,
>> anyway). The customer paid for service, the company is now demanding
>> more money to deliver the service for which the customer already paid.

> While I may get money back from bank for the recent add'l service

> time I bought, the phone still we be disabled. So i will be out the
> cost of the phone and more importantly will have lost the phone
> number that a lot of people have in their directories. Also losing
> a lot of carry over minutes.

Thats one area where the small claims court may well be able to get a better result.

Much more effort required to go that route tho.

Robert Neville

Dec 27, 2010, 6:29:02 PM12/27/10
" Terri Smith" <ts8 at soalex.us> wrote:

> They TF rep
>that answered the call was not able to answer the Banks basic questioin.
>After a half-hour Bank guy gave up and said he issue the credit -- but TF
>has 60 days to respond.

The way oit works at the banks I'm familiar with is that you get the temp credit
so you don't need to pay right away or get hit with a late fee, and as you
indicated, the company (TF) gets 60 days to respond to the potential chargeback.
If they don't, the temp credit becomes permanent.

If they do respond (and all TF has to say is that they've looked into it and the
charge is legit) the temp credit goes away. Unless you happen to be a very good
customer of the bank, they aren't going to make any attempt to look into the
circumstances behind the charge or challenge TF.

Vic Smith

Dec 27, 2010, 9:58:46 PM12/27/10
On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 16:23:29 -0500, " Terri Smith" <ts8 at soalex.us>
wrote:

>You are correct Bill, it is with the Bank and it is a temporary credit
>while the dispute is open. What was interesting though, is Bank had me on
>the phone for the initial call. They said they had a special phone number
>for tracfone and a speical code that would cut thru to the top. They TF rep
>that answered the call was not able to answer the Banks basic questioin.
>After a half-hour Bank guy gave up and said he issue the credit -- but TF
>has 60 days to respond.

I had a similar experience with Visa and AOL on a 3-way call.
There was no 60 day deal though.
I could never get through to AOL on the phone to cancel, but the Visa
rep got right to them.
Got it canceled and a month's credit on the spot.

--Vic

Rod Speed

Dec 27, 2010, 11:39:45 PM12/27/10
Robert Neville wrote

> Terri Smith <ts8 at soalex.us> wrote

>> They TF rep that answered the call was not able to answer the
>> Banks basic questioin. After a half-hour Bank guy gave up and
>> said he issue the credit -- but TF has 60 days to respond.

> The way oit works at the banks I'm familiar with is that you get the
> temp credit so you don't need to pay right away or get hit with a
> late fee, and as you indicated, the company (TF) gets 60 days to
> respond to the potential chargeback. If they don't, the temp credit
> becomes permanent.

> If they do respond (and all TF has to say is that they've looked
> into it and the charge is legit) the temp credit goes away.

Thats just plain wrong when they cant demonstate that they reversed their
error of the initial erroneous crediting of more minutes than was paid for.

> Unless you happen to be a very good customer of the bank, they aren't going to
> make any attempt to look into the circumstances behind the charge or challenge TF.

Wrong. When TF cant explain why they didnt do the obvious thing of reversing THEIR error, they're fucked.

DevilsPGD

Dec 28, 2010, 1:21:50 AM12/28/10
In message <49kih6po8d7n1k69u...@4ax.com> Vic Smith

Whoever has the money has the power. Once the company no longer has the
money, they suddenly have an incentive to talk to you. This goes doubly
so since banks are usually happy to tack on "investigation" fees when a
chargeback is successful.

DevilsPGD

Dec 28, 2010, 1:21:50 AM12/28/10
In message <328ih61l06sf43ftq...@4ax.com> Robert Neville

<do...@bother.com> was claimed to have wrote:

>If they do respond (and all TF has to say is that they've looked into it and the
>charge is legit) the temp credit goes away. Unless you happen to be a very good
>customer of the bank, they aren't going to make any attempt to look into the
>circumstances behind the charge or challenge TF.

The bank has no legal choice in the matter unless Tracfone has a
signature. Even then, if you're claiming that the service was not
rendered, the benefit of the doubt (legally) goes to the card holder.

Both Tracfone and potentially the bank are free to sue the cardholder if
they believe any aspect of the chargeback is fraudulent, but assuming
the cardholder acts in good faith, there isn't much of a threat here.

DevilsPGD

Dec 28, 2010, 1:21:50 AM12/28/10
In message <ifaa96$m8$1...@speranza.aioe.org> "h"

<tmc...@searchmachine.com> was claimed to have wrote:

>I've written 5 or 6 times over the years and the NYAG's office always
>responds. I always send a letter to the company with "cc: AG's office" on
>it. That's usually enough. In only one case did the company not immediately
>contact me and make it right. I sued that guy in Small Claims Court and won.
>He did not, of course, pay me the $5k. The AG's office investigated him for
>fraud (home repair scam) and fined him all sorts of money and required
>restitution, which he also didn't pay.

Reminds me of George Carlin's bit on voting: If you'd stayed home and
masturbated instead, then when you got done masturbating you'd at least
have something to show for it.

In other words, contacting the AG didn't appear to make much of a
difference in the situation you described.

Dec 28, 2010, 12:53:41 PM12/28/10

> Whoever has the money has the power. Once the company no longer has the
> money, they suddenly have an incentive to talk to you. This goes doubly
> so since banks are usually happy to tack on "investigation" fees when a
> chargeback is successful.

It's worse. My processor charges me $25 for every chargeback initiated, even
if I can prove the charge is legit and have the chargeback reversed. I've
only had one chargeback, and it was reversed, but I didn't get the $25 back.
The most aggravating part is that the customer simply "forgot" she bought a
custom cloak from me. Did she contact me to inquire about the charge before
filing a chargeback? No. So because the customer was forgetful, I had to eat
the fee. Yes, it's the "cost of doing business", but it sucks that banks
treat merchants like thieves.

Dec 28, 2010, 12:54:55 PM12/28/10

"DevilsPGD" <Still-Just-A-...@crazyhat.net> wrote in message

Not in that case, since they can't compel payment, but it's worked every
other time I've needed to contact them, and I always get a reply.

k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

Dec 28, 2010, 1:22:36 PM12/28/10

I've never issued a charge-back for that reason, but I've come close. Some
retailers don't bill by the same name they use to sell. Recently we had one
local charge (on a debit card, actually) that took me some time to figure out.
Turned out I bought a pickup load of gravel from a place that billed itself as
"The Woodlot". My wife thought it was a charge for some woodworking widget
I'd bought. Nope, they also sell fire wood from the next place up the road.

One I did charge back was for filters for our 'fridge. The seller didn't ship
in six weeks (but billed us immediately) and then claimed no record of the
transaction. Tough - eat the $25 (or whatever).

Terri Smith

Dec 28, 2010, 3:43:38 PM12/28/10

What makes this one different.....

When called by Visa rep, Tracfone did not dispute that I paid for 2 years
of sevice. They just think it is OK to cut off my service unitl I pay for
the additional time that was added in error during that transaction. Visa
rep shared my view that I should have gotten the service I paid regardless
of my lack of willingness to send additional funds to cover the extra time
that was added. So in this case it's now a difference of view between my
Visa bank and TF

Bill

Dec 28, 2010, 8:16:26 PM12/28/10

It's NOT Visa you're dealing with on this, it's the bank you have the
credit card with, be in Citibank, Chase, etc. Why do you keep saying
Visa??? Do you make your monthly payment check out to Visa, do you???

Bill

MAS

Dec 28, 2010, 8:34:18 PM12/28/10
On 12/28/2010 8:16 PM, Bill wrote:
> It's NOT Visa you're dealing with on this, it's the bank you have the
> credit card with, be in Citibank, Chase, etc. Why do you keep saying
> Visa??? Do you make your monthly payment check out to Visa, do you???
>
> Bill

I do. The card is through my credit union, but the check goes to Visa.

Marsha

Message has been deleted

DevilsPGD

Dec 28, 2010, 11:47:26 PM12/28/10
In message <ifd873$jt6$1...@speranza.aioe.org> "h"

<tmc...@searchmachine.com> was claimed to have wrote:

>"DevilsPGD" <Still-Just-A-...@crazyhat.net> wrote in message
> > Whoever has the money has the power. Once the company no longer has the
>> money, they suddenly have an incentive to talk to you. This goes doubly
>> so since banks are usually happy to tack on "investigation" fees when a
>> chargeback is successful.
>
>It's worse. My processor charges me $25 for every chargeback initiated, even
>if I can prove the charge is legit and have the chargeback reversed. I've
>only had one chargeback, and it was reversed, but I didn't get the $25 back.

Sad but true. Customers usually get stuck on the wrong end of shitty
merchant policies, but for whatever reason credit card merchant lobbies
missed the boat.

>The most aggravating part is that the customer simply "forgot" she bought a
>custom cloak from me. Did she contact me to inquire about the charge before
>filing a chargeback? No. So because the customer was forgetful, I had to eat
>the fee. Yes, it's the "cost of doing business", but it sucks that banks
>treat merchants like thieves.

While I feel for you in terms of the pain when you're on the wrong end
of a chargeback, chargeback fees (investigation and other) sure add up
fast when merchants do try to play fast-and-loose or try to be deceptive
(even if technically legal using terms designed to ensure there is no
meeting of the minds by obscuring the terms in difficult legal language)

In other words, the threat of chargeback investigation fees alone is
sometimes enough to keep merchants honest, at the cost that everyone
absorbs the cost of unsuccessful chargebacks.

DevilsPGD

Dec 28, 2010, 11:47:26 PM12/28/10
In message <ebakh61e0ccaq2nrv...@4ax.com>
"k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" <k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> was claimed to have
wrote:

>I've never issued a charge-back for that reason, but I've come close. Some

>retailers don't bill by the same name they use to sell. Recently we had one
>local charge (on a debit card, actually) that took me some time to figure out.

This one ticks me off -- I've come close to issuing a few chargebacks
when the merchant name on the credit card statement didn't appear on the
receipt at all anywhere, and the transaction went through on a different
date.

You can usually resolve these type of issues by calling the bank that
supplied your card, they can usually tell you the type of business and
often give you a phone number or enough details to track it down, but
it's still a hassle.

>Turned out I bought a pickup load of gravel from a place that billed itself as
>"The Woodlot". My wife thought it was a charge for some woodworking widget
>I'd bought. Nope, they also sell fire wood from the next place up the road.
>
>One I did charge back was for filters for our 'fridge. The seller didn't ship
>in six weeks (but billed us immediately) and then claimed no record of the
>transaction. Tough - eat the $25 (or whatever).

Might be higher for a successful chargeback too. Double bonus.

Personally, as soon as a merchant says "no record" then I'm done
interacting with the merchant and move to a chargeback (when I have a
order number, email, or PDF "print" of the receipt -- In other words,
when I can rule out the possibility of my error)

It's funny how often they find the order.

k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

Dec 29, 2010, 12:39:58 AM12/29/10

...and, of course the record of the charge. Since they claim to have never
heard of me, yet they did get paid, it's kind of an obvious situation.

>It's funny how often they find the order.

They didn't. I suppose the office droids really don't care.

David Harmon

Dec 29, 2010, 3:54:23 PM12/29/10
On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 12:53:41 -0500 in misc.consumers.frugal-living, "h"
<tmc...@searchmachine.com> wrote,

It's the customer who should pay you back the $25, not the bank.

Dec 30, 2010, 10:14:11 AM12/30/10

"David Harmon" <sou...@netcom.com> wrote in message
Of course, but my merchant agreement says I'm not allowed to even ask them
for the money.

Terri Smith

Jan 9, 2011, 2:04:52 PM1/9/11
Earlier post - described losing TracFone service shortly after renewing for
2 years. More then 15 hours with various levels of customer support
(mostly on hold), I found out what happened.

Someone's attempt to add a year of TF service, ended up on my phone in
error. This person canceled credit card payment when TF would/could not
fix the mistake. TF responded by cutting off my service even though I had
nothing to do with it. Worse I wasn't made aware there was a problem or
that my phone had been disabled.. TF acknowledges it was their mistake but
they will not give me access to the time I paid and they will not return my
payment. {$152} Also lost carry-over minutes and the cost of the phone,
which is now useless.

TF says only option is to pay for the service they added in error.

Terri Smith

Jan 9, 2011, 4:44:33 PM1/9/11

Gordon

Jan 9, 2011, 5:10:38 PM1/9/11
" Terri Smith" <ts8 at soalex.us> wrote in

Small claims court.

Bert Hyman

Jan 9, 2011, 5:15:04 PM1/9/11
In news:Xns9E68903AE923...@94.75.214.90 Gordon
<go...@alltomyself.com> wrote:

> " Terri Smith" <ts8 at soalex.us> wrote in
>>

>> TF says only option is to pay for the service they added in error.
>
> Small claims court.

But first, your state's Attorney General's consumer office.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN be...@iphouse.com

a real cheapskate

Jan 9, 2011, 7:20:11 PM1/9/11
Well I WAS going to get a Trac phone, but this poor service example
convinced me otherwise.

I am pissed at verizon they partnered with a text spammer. I got these
texts about dating when they continued I texted back WHO ARE YOU?
Whoever they are responded in spanish. Which I dont understand.

A couple days later I got a text thanking me for subbing to the 10
buck a month premium message service...

Called verizon they cancelled it but admitted they partnered with the
spam company.

So I am shopping for a new no contract cell phone provider that has
live 411 operator.

NET 10 is working fine I will likely go with them:) Trouble is they
are owned by tracphone:(

k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

Jan 9, 2011, 8:18:15 PM1/9/11
On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 16:20:11 -0800 (PST), a real cheapskate <hal...@aol.com>
wrote:

I've been thinking about switching from Verizon to PagePlus. We never use all
of our minutes (well, we did once) and PagePlus looks to be about the same
price even if we did. They also use the Verizon network, which is a huge
plus. Not interested in text or Internet.

Bill

Jan 9, 2011, 8:56:00 PM1/9/11
On 1/9/2011 7:20 PM, a real cheapskate wrote:
> Well I WAS going to get a Trac phone, but this poor service example
> convinced me otherwise.
>
> I am pissed at verizon they partnered with a text spammer. I got these
> texts about dating when they continued I texted back WHO ARE YOU?
> Whoever they are responded in spanish. Which I dont understand.
>
> A couple days later I got a text thanking me for subbing to the 10
> buck a month premium message service...
>
> Called verizon they cancelled it but admitted they partnered with the
> spam company.

That sounds strange. The text message probably was sent because they had
the number from a previous subscriber who had the phone #. My
mother-in-law gets all sorts of text messages on her Verizon pre-paid
phone and I am pretty sure it is because whoever had the number
beforehand got on some spam text message lists. I tried to turn off
texting on the phone, but Verizon needed the password she set up when
she got the phone, and she cannot remember what it is and last I heard
she had not found the paperwork she got when she got the service.

I think you probably misunderstood Verizon when you came to the
conclusion that they "partnered" with the company. More likely they just
do the billing, as they would do with any service provider.

Bill

Fred

Jan 9, 2011, 11:13:09 PM1/9/11
"k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" <k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote in

Now, Page Plus also offers one year $80 cards through dealers like
discount Callingmart.com! You don't have to buy something every 4 months
on Page Plus if you just add $80 cards only from now on.....very nice.

$80 cards are discounted 7% this month on Callingmart.com....(c;]

50c/month is PP's only "fee"....no tax or other "fee" funny business that
adds $18/month to a Verizon bill noone can explain......

Tax and fees on a Verizon phone cost more than I pay for total service on
Page Plus!

k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

Jan 9, 2011, 11:22:56 PM1/9/11

Nice! Thanks. If our phones die, I'll probably switch. We're well into our
fourth year of a two-year contract. ;-) I'd have to be able to take our
phone numbers with us, too (they're already in a different AC).

Fred

Jan 9, 2011, 11:37:35 PM1/9/11

> Nice! Thanks. If our phones die, I'll probably switch. We're well
> into our fourth year of a two-year contract. ;-) I'd have to be able
> to take our phone numbers with us, too (they're already in a different
> AC).

Call the nice Ohio (not Bangledesh) ladies on #737 on any Verizon phone
and she'll get your number ported over for you. Don't call Verizon!

#737 is how we get to Page Plus customer service, like you do on 611 on
Verizon.

Switching is quite painless. Not getting a monthly sellphone bill eating
up your paycheck and NOT being lied to....that takes a little getting
used to!

PP works anywhere in America Verizon has service, plus many places where
it doesn't as PP has deals with many mom and pop small carriers, even
some still on AMPS (analog)!

Side benefit to migrating from VZW to PP is all those kids and other
family free-call vermin who keep calling you for every little thing will
stop once they have to pay to talk to you....(c;]

k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

Jan 10, 2011, 12:57:41 AM1/10/11
On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 04:37:35 +0000, Fred <nob...@home.com> wrote:

>"k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" <k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote in
>
>> Nice! Thanks. If our phones die, I'll probably switch. We're well
>> into our fourth year of a two-year contract. ;-) I'd have to be able
>> to take our phone numbers with us, too (they're already in a different
>> AC).
>>

>Call the nice Ohio (not Bangledesh) ladies on #737 on any Verizon phone
>and she'll get your number ported over for you. Don't call Verizon!
>
>#737 is how we get to Page Plus customer service, like you do on 611 on
>Verizon.

How does that work? Can I buy a PP phone as a trial and then transfer my VZW
number if I decide to go that way?

>Switching is quite painless. Not getting a monthly sellphone bill eating
>up your paycheck and NOT being lied to....that takes a little getting
>used to!

I don't get lied to. I just pay the bill. ;-)

>PP works anywhere in America Verizon has service, plus many places where
>it doesn't as PP has deals with many mom and pop small carriers, even
>some still on AMPS (analog)!
>
>Side benefit to migrating from VZW to PP is all those kids and other
>family free-call vermin who keep calling you for every little thing will
>stop once they have to pay to talk to you....(c;]

Not sure that's a good idea. OTOH, I don't know anyone else on VZW. The kid
is on AT&T (they're iPhone freaks). Will it stop politicians' robo-dialers?

Terri Smith

Jan 10, 2011, 9:17:17 AM1/10/11

"Fred" <nob...@home.com> wrote in message

"k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" <k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote in

Now, Page Plus also offers one year $80 cards through dealers like

discount Callingmart.com! You don't have to buy something every 4 months
on Page Plus if you just add $80 cards only from now on.....very nice.

$80 cards are discounted 7% this month on Callingmart.com....(c;]

50c/month is PP's only "fee"....no tax or other "fee" funny business that
adds $18/month to a Verizon bill noone can explain......

Tax and fees on a Verizon phone cost more than I pay for total service on
Page Plus!

Page Plus users

Am I correct that I could buy a PP phone then buy a $10 card and it would
work. Since the card at the link below is for 120 days that would be $40 a
year for a low use phone.

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/Online%20Store/Minutes/100%20Minutes%20Voice%20Card.aspx

Thanks

Terri

Fred

Jan 10, 2011, 10:56:42 AM1/10/11

> On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 04:37:35 +0000, Fred <nob...@home.com> wrote:
>

>>#737 is how we get to Page Plus customer service, like you do on 611
>>on Verizon.
>
> How does that work? Can I buy a PP phone as a trial and then transfer
> my VZW number if I decide to go that way?

Any CDMA capable phone that will dial #737 will work on pageplus except
they now blocked out all Verizon prepaid phones because people bought
phones from Walmart for $20 and put them on PP, instead of activating
them on Verizon to be fleeced. So, VZW stopped it. Your Verizon phones
all work on PP, now.

To activate with credit card, just go to:
http://nordicgroup.us/prepaid/pageplus.html
and read the slightly outdated, but still valid, information on this
webpage not connected to pageplus. He also explains how to maximize the
discount effects of Callingmart.com PINs...the numbers we enter to add
money to our PP account from discount vendors.

Pageplus's webpage is:
http://www.pagepluscellular.com/
and you can activate the Verizon phone you're using now, even smartphones
recently, on PP right from there. The self-activation instructions are
on the webpages. Basically, you'll just fill out the PP forms including
the ESN (MEID) from under your phone's battery into the PP forms and add
money to the account FIRST, of course. Nobody ever owes PP money, which
keeps rates really low. Then, when you activate, PP's server calls the
MEID right over Verizon's network and autoactivates the phone on PP. PP
does NOT overwrite the phone's normal firmware, so if you have a hobbled
up VZW phone, it's still a hobbled-up VZW phone and if you activate an
unhobbled Alltel phone, it's still an unhobbled Alltel phone even with
Celltop that still works at no charge! Mine does...(c;]

You'll get a PP new number. When you get that working, call #737 from it
and ask the nice ladies to port your number over from Verizon. She'll
port it in a few minutes and when someone calls you they won't be any
wiser....it's the same call on the same Verizon system as it used to be
at a fraction of the cost...a no-brainer.

All the "freebies" like nights/weekends, inside Verizon free calls you
were paying $70/mon for, even if you didn't use it, are gone. Every call
on PP costs you the massive sum of 3.7c/min, a little over $2/hour, ONLY
IF YOU USE IT, never giving back minutes every month like now. Every
time you make a call, PP's female voice computer comes on to tell you
your balance before connecting the call, so you don't run out of prepaid.
They never hound you to buy anything...shocking, just shocking! When
your balance gets low, go to callingmart.com and buy a discount $80 card
for $72. Callingmart will open you an account the first time you buy so
you can buy almost too easily from then on. Callingmart will sell you
nothing but a PIN that's larger than the population number for the
planet. WRITE IT DOWN for safety, though I've never had a problem. You
don't have to enter it into your PP phone for up to a year from the
purchase date. We buy Callingmart PINs when they send us big discount
codes in our emails, then just leave them sit in our accounts until our
PP balance gets low. As PP's new year-from-now clock times down from
when you put the PIN into your phone, this lets us maximize the time
before we have to buy more PINs to the limit....unless you use it up, of
course. The only "load" on your balance is the princely sum of 50
cents/month user "fee", the only fee PP charges unless you buy some data
from them. If you use just the phone, not text messages or other data,
$72 goes a LONG way. My phone bill is now $72/year and my balance keeps
getting bigger as I don't use my phone much....the finest deal for low-
use phone service.

>>Switching is quite painless. Not getting a monthly sellphone bill
>>eating up your paycheck and NOT being lied to....that takes a little
>>getting used to!
>
> I don't get lied to. I just pay the bill. ;-)

Hmm...Verizon used to lie to me and change my charges any old time they
liked when I was a customer. Things must have changed......NOT!

Will it stop politicians'
> robo-dialers?

Maybe it would be a good idea to NOT port your old politician-listed VZW
phone number and just use your new PP phone number you get upon signup.
Just send out a massive email to all your callers letting ONLY the ones
you WANT to call you have the new number....leaving the politicians,
spammers, sellers and undesirables that have your old number in the dark.

Your PP number will be from the local area, not Peoria, IL. It's a local
call from any phone in my city to my PP phone.

Navy buddy of mine talked about Tracphone at breakfast this morning. He
was on the phone 2 hours with their Indian service contractor with no joy
trying to get his Tracfone running for a little trip. How awful.

Fred

Jan 10, 2011, 12:08:55 PM1/10/11

> Am I correct that I could buy a PP phone then buy a $10 card and it
> would work. Since the card at the link below is for 120 days that
> would be $40 a year for a low use phone.

Yes. If you buy any card less than the $80 card, you must buy
"something", a minimum PIN of $10, every 120 days (not 4 months, 120
days). It's a little less than 365 days....5 days short. That makes the
month renew date move a little so be careful.

If you buy the $80 PIN from a dealer, as it's not avail from PP directly,
say from callingmart.com at discount around $72. The 120 days limit is
waived, recently, to a full year. This gives you 2000 minutes, much more
calling time, than the $10/100 minute card gives you, which is a much
better deal. The bigger PIN your buy, the lower the per minute rate of
the calls. The $80 card, at a 7% discount from callingmart.com, comes to
3.7c/min or a tiny bit over $2/HOUR of talk time. Noone beats this price
and certainly noone beats it being on the Verizon nationwide system.

Your only recurring charge each month is 50 cents...that's it! No taxes,
no "admin fees" or "FCC charges" or other nonsense noone at VZW can
explain without lies. 50 cents/month + 3.7c/min....from the $80 PIN you
paid $72 and change for at callingmart.com, gives you Verizon Wireless
phone service, with full voicemail and nationwide calling for 12 months!
At the end of that 12 months, simply buy another $80 card for the
discount at that time for another year of service.....WITHOUT losing
whatever balance you didn't use from the last year's account balance! If
you continue to renew PP before the clock times out...they NEVER steal
your money/time from you!

If you find a better deal, I'd sure appreciate your posting it here for
the rest of us to switch to. I've never found a better deal and it works
great across America, not restricted to just service near your
home....nationwide! You can call from almost everywhere to everywhere so
cheap!

SMS

Jan 10, 2011, 2:13:15 PM1/10/11
On 1/10/2011 6:17 AM, Terri Smith wrote:

> Am I correct that I could buy a PP phone then buy a $10 card and it would
> work. Since the card at the link below is for 120 days that would be $40 a
> year for a low use phone.

No. Three 120 day $10 cards would be $30, not $40, for a year. And it's
a bit less than $30 if you buy your refills when Callingmart has them on
sale for 7% or 10% off.

As a back-up, you can sign up for automatic monthly refills starting at
your expiration date, but you can cancel them if you don't need them.

Bert Hyman

Jan 10, 2011, 3:12:20 PM1/10/11
In news:Xns9E697BF667D...@74.209.131.13 Fred <nob...@home.com>
wrote:

> If you find a better deal, I'd sure appreciate your posting it here for
> the rest of us to switch to.

T-Mobile's pay-as-you-go plan lets you buy time in $10, $30, $50 and $100
chunks. The time on the three cheaper plans is good for 90 days (although
unused minutes carry over if you re-up in time), but once you've spent $100
(any combination, over any period), your time becomes good for a year.

Once you've hit the $100 mark, any additional time you buy, even the $10
chunk, extends your time limit out a year from when you buy them.

For a low-volume user like me, I made the initial $100 investment, got 1000
minutes, and now can carry the account (along with all my unused minutes)
for $10/year.

T-Mobile's coverage isn't the best, but if you're in their coverage area,
you might want to look at them.

They also have a no-contract $30/month plan that gives you 1500
minutes/month (that don't carry over).

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/prepaid-plans.aspx

Gordon

Jan 10, 2011, 4:23:40 PM1/10/11
"k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" <k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote in

> I've been thinking about switching from Verizon to PagePlus. We never
> use all of our minutes (well, we did once) and PagePlus looks to be
> about the same price even if we did. They also use the Verizon
> network, which is a huge plus. Not interested in text or Internet.

PagePlus is OK. I have it on one of my phones and I will pit it
on another phone when my Spritn contract runs out. On my phone,
I just put $25.00 on it when the minuts are running low. It
takes me anywhere from 6 weeks to 120 days to use up the minuts.
Pretty cheap phone service any way you look at it.

I have to warn you that customer service is next to non-existint.
If you are comfortable dealing with them over the web, they are
OK. But getting a live body is impossible.

sf

Jan 10, 2011, 8:40:18 PM1/10/11
On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 15:56:42 +0000, Fred <nob...@home.com> wrote:

> All the "freebies" like nights/weekends, inside Verizon free calls you
> were paying $70/mon for, even if you didn't use it, are gone. Every call
> on PP costs you the massive sum of 3.7c/min, a little over $2/hour, ONLY
> IF YOU USE IT, never giving back minutes every month like now. Every
> time you make a call, PP's female voice computer comes on to tell you
> your balance before connecting the call, so you don't run out of prepaid.

Is the service reliable? We have no problem whatsoever with Verizon
except the bill. We split the smallest plan Verizon has for $70 a
month (60+10) plus fees and taxes, which is around $90 total and no
landline, so our cell phones are all we have.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

sf

Jan 10, 2011, 8:44:17 PM1/10/11

Why would you need customer service? Have you needed it often?

DevilsPGD

Jan 10, 2011, 9:14:30 PM1/10/11
In message <0abni6tu8t2qpjltq...@4ax.com> sf

<s...@geemail.com> was claimed to have wrote:

>On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 15:56:42 +0000, Fred <nob...@home.com> wrote:
>
>> All the "freebies" like nights/weekends, inside Verizon free calls you
>> were paying $70/mon for, even if you didn't use it, are gone. Every call
>> on PP costs you the massive sum of 3.7c/min, a little over $2/hour, ONLY
>> IF YOU USE IT, never giving back minutes every month like now. Every
>> time you make a call, PP's female voice computer comes on to tell you
>> your balance before connecting the call, so you don't run out of prepaid.
>
>Is the service reliable?

In theory, it should be the same as Verizon's normal service since it's
on the same network (plus some roaming)

Terri Smith

Jan 11, 2011, 6:46:53 AM1/11/11

"Bert Hyman" <be...@iphouse.com> wrote in message

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/prepaid-plans.aspx

Wow Bert - For my use this really fits. I seldom use the phone, just like
having it 'in case'. Thats how I was using TF. Will check this out

Terri

Fred

Jan 11, 2011, 11:22:17 AM1/11/11
SMS <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote in

There's a minimum purchase at Callingmart below the $10, I believe, so
you must buy more than one at a time if you want to play it that way.
But, you can store the other $10 cards for up to a year on your
Callingmart account, so that's not a problem to get the discount.

Geez, I thought I was cheep!.....(c;]

Fred

Jan 11, 2011, 11:24:44 AM1/11/11
Bert Hyman <be...@iphouse.com> wrote in

There's two problems with this plan. Worst is it's T-mobile, one of the
tiniest footprint sellphone systems in America. If you travel at all,
you'll soon regret being a T-mo customer. Two is Pageplus' rate on the
huge Verizon system is less per minute, at 3.7c/min considering a 7% PIN
purchase discount from Callingmart.

Nobody still does it better than Pageplus.....including the limited
footprint service of T-mo.

Fred

Jan 11, 2011, 11:26:47 AM1/11/11
Gordon <go...@alltomyself.com> wrote in

Using a Sprint CDMA phone poses a special problem for Pageplus. Sprint
sells phones that are ONLY on 1900 Mhz because that's all Sprint is on, I
think. PP uses Verizon, one of the 850 REAL cellular system carriers and
the Sprint phones don't all cover this band. Just a headsup to watch out
for. Going from Sprint to Pageplus sure expands that coverage map!

Fred

Jan 11, 2011, 11:29:13 AM1/11/11
sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote in news:0abni6tu8t2qpjltq80ivm0nb8n1842bpm@
4ax.com:

> Is the service reliable? We have no problem whatsoever with Verizon
> except the bill. We split the smallest plan Verizon has for $70 a
> month (60+10) plus fees and taxes, which is around $90 total and no
> landline, so our cell phones are all we have.

Pageplus is every bit as reliable as any other Verizon phone. It works in
all the same places and the PP customer service is in Ohio, not Bangladesh.
Most Ohioans speak fluent English, so I've never had a problem talking with
them, the few times I've called to ask questions.

Pageplus works great....

Gordon

Jan 12, 2011, 12:49:53 AM1/12/11
Fred <nob...@home.com> wrote in

> Gordon <go...@alltomyself.com> wrote in
>
>> "k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" <k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote in
>>

>>> I've been thinking about switching from Verizon to PagePlus.
>>>

>> PagePlus is OK. I have it on one of my phones and I will pit it
>> on another phone when my Spritn contract runs out.
>>

> Using a Sprint CDMA phone poses a special problem for Pageplus.
> Sprint sells phones that are ONLY on 1900 Mhz because that's all
> Sprint is on, I think. PP uses Verizon, one of the 850 REAL cellular
> system carriers and the Sprint phones don't all cover this band. Just
> a headsup to watch out for. Going from Sprint to Pageplus sure
> expands that coverage map!

I should have mentioned that I plan on getting a new phone, not
reuse the old one.

BTW: Anyone know of a place to buy unlocked phones that will
work with PagePlus?

Fred

Jan 12, 2011, 12:52:29 AM1/12/11

> BTW: Anyone know of a place to buy unlocked phones that will
> work with PagePlus?

If you're paying retail, there's no locks on CDMA phones. Just make sure
it's a tri-mode so it covers all the bands.

Sofa Slug

Jan 12, 2011, 6:16:33 PM1/12/11

I've had the opposite experience with Page Plus. Every time I've called
they have picked right up, and have been friendly and helpful ...such a
breath of fresh air after dealing with Verizon! I highly recommend Page
Plus.

Todd Allcock

Jan 13, 2011, 12:52:32 AM1/13/11
At 11 Jan 2011 16:26:47 +0000 Fred wrote:

> Using a Sprint CDMA phone poses a special problem for Pageplus. Sprint
> sells phones that are ONLY on 1900 Mhz because that's all Sprint is on,
> think. PP uses Verizon, one of the 850 REAL cellular system carriers
and
> the Sprint phones don't all cover this band. Just a headsup to watch
out
> for. Going from Sprint to Pageplus sure expands that coverage map!

I don't think Sprint has sold a 1900-only phone in years. While Sprint
native coverage is all 1900, they have quite a bit of 850 roaming
coverage included in their plans, so their phones need to support 850.

Having said that, avoiding Sprint phones with PP is still a good idea-
Sprint phones typically can't be programmed over-the-air by PP without
some hacking, I've been told.

Todd Allcock

Jan 13, 2011, 1:11:29 AM1/13/11

I travel quite a bit. Like Sinatra sang, regrets? I've had a few, but
too few to mention.
T-Mo's issues are usually only in pretty remote areas. T-Mo includes
quite a bit of 850-MHz roaming coverage in their prepaid plans. I also
have PagePlus phones as backups, but rarely need them.

> Two is Pageplus' rate on the
> huge Verizon system is less per minute, at 3.7c/min considering a 7%
PIN
> purchase discount from Callingmart.
>
> Nobody still does it better than Pageplus.....including the limited
> footprint service of T-mo.

There are a few advantages of T-Mo prepaid for me. My son can use my
wife's old first-gen will unlocked iPhone on T-Mo's GSM, but not PP's CDMA.

More important for the little I use either my T-Mo or PagePlus prepaids
is the lower annual cost of T-Mo. Once you've spent $100 on airtime, you
become a "Gold Rewards" customer, and _all_ future refills get one-year
expiration dates. It only costs me $10 to keep my T-Mo prepaids alive
for a year, vs. $30 for my PagePlus phones, and I don't lose $6/year in
junk fees on T-Mo.

I originally got the T-Mo prepaids during a promotion back in 2005 or
2006 when they gave you Gold Reward status with only $25 in airtime. For
$0.83/month I just can't let them expire. They come in handy as
"throwaway" numbers, like when selling a car in a classified ad. After
it's sold, I change the voicemail message to "sorry, it's already sold,"
turn off the phone and stick it back in the drawer.

Albert Jeans

Jan 14, 2011, 6:38:22 PM1/14/11
A few months ago, it took several weeks to get my old phone number
transfered to the new phone which
TracFone forced me to "upgrade" to. They finally succeeded after sending me
2 new SIM cards. I had to
insist on talking to management level people at the call centers. Since then
I have had extra
minutes mysteriously appear on my phone. I guess this is not an uncommon
problem.

Albert