how to choose a cat or kitten

Thomas' promises

Jan 27, 2011, 1:47:50 PM1/27/11
Searching for Mr. Right
Before facing cage after cage of homeless cats, consider your needs and
expectations. If yours is a full-time working household, I recommend
passing up kittens and adolescents (less than eighteen months old) in
favor of a more low-key adult whose energy needs will be easier to meet.
If you are a novice cat owner, stay away from "excessive" cats --
excessively shy, aggressive or demanding -- for they may provide too
great a challenge for your first experience. Your best bet is the
friendly, outgoing cat, who nudges an outstretched finger offered
through the cage bars and who nuzzles and purrs when you hold him in
your arms. This profile is a particularly good choice for families with
children younger than seven years of age.
Is coat color or pattern important? By all means, choose a cat who
attracts you, but remember that the gorgeous calico hiding at the back
of her cage may well go into prolonged hiding once she is released into
your home. A cat who is social and relaxed at a shelter usually has the
aplomb to meet the stresses that life throws her way. Consider the whole
cat, not just one element.
A cat in your life can add warmth, humor and peace of mind. A cat can
teach your child empathy for others while keeping her secrets. If you
can make the commitment, a cat is waiting to enhance your life in ways
only a kindred spirit can.
--
Karma, What a concept!
Message has been deleted

new nym

Jan 30, 2011, 11:16:59 PM1/30/11
In article <4d44ec2d$0$9077$815e...@news.qwest.net>,
"Brian Kraft" <bkr...@nyx.net> wrote:

> Thomas' promises wrote:
>
> > Your best bet is the
> >friendly, outgoing cat, who nudges an outstretched finger offered
> >through the cage bars
>

> Shelter staff might have written down which animals are suitable.

boy, when we went to the county pound the "sheriff" led us straight to
the best black kitty. Luna reached out of the cage and grabbed my sleeve.
We are happy, tho no kitty could really replace Xena. Our Norwegian
Forest Cat.