Air Locks

Tru Dat

Dec 20, 2010, 1:07:35 PM12/20/10
of course you don't want an outside door to open directly into the great
outdoors. We made a little space outside with another door.
It's a great space to leave shoes and boots. and firewood. Etc.
It sure buffers the cold winds.
--
Karma, What a concept!

Charmin

Dec 20, 2010, 5:42:17 PM12/20/10

Here in the real world, that's called a "mud room."

Can you post a picture of that. I bet it would be a hoot.

Tru Dat

Dec 21, 2010, 10:17:03 PM12/21/10
In article <georgeswk-648F2...@news.toast.net>,
Tru Dat <geor...@toast.net> wrote:

> of course you don't want an outside door to open directly into the great
> outdoors. We made a little space outside with another door.
> It's a great space to leave shoes and boots. and firewood. Etc.
> It sure buffers the cold winds.

and to clarify ; an air lock should be on any outside door. maybe even
to the garage.
a mud room is only found on the back door.
Happy Solstice all !

Gordon

Dec 21, 2010, 11:21:29 PM12/21/10
Tru Dat <geor...@toast.net> wrote in news:georgeswk-648F23.10073520122010
@news.toast.net:

> of course you don't want an outside door to open directly into the great
> outdoors. We made a little space outside with another door.
> It's a great space to leave shoes and boots. and firewood. Etc.
> It sure buffers the cold winds.

How hard would it be to add one of these as a DIY project?

Rod Speed

Dec 22, 2010, 3:55:48 AM12/22/10
Gordon wrote
> Tru Dat <geor...@toast.net> wrote

>> of course you don't want an outside door to open directly into the
>> great outdoors. We made a little space outside with another door.
>> It's a great space to leave shoes and boots. and firewood. Etc.
>> It sure buffers the cold winds.

> How hard would it be to add one of these as a DIY project?

Very easy. One of the easier DIY projects.

Tru Dat

Dec 22, 2010, 11:03:25 AM12/22/10
In article <8ndson...@mid.individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes, look for a "second" door or maybe a nice used one. Tempered Glass
is probably a good idea. And some go for a double keyed dead bolt.

sf

Dec 28, 2010, 7:33:56 PM12/28/10
On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 08:03:25 -0800, Tru Dat <geor...@toast.net>
wrote:

We called them a storm door when I was a kid. In the summer, it was
changed out for a screen door. I don't live in a four season climate
anymore.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

VFW,

Dec 31, 2010, 9:30:59 AM12/31/10
In article <fc0lh6h0tm03jqarv...@4ax.com>,
sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

We've added a wood storage feature to our air-lock and feed the wood
stove from the air-lock. Sure beats bringing the messy wood/bugs/dirt
inside and then removing ashes.
Less smoke inside too and the fire consumes air from the outside not
sucking air out of the living cabin,creating drafts.
Some build a wood box into the wall , feeding it from the air-lock to
then slide through the wall to appear next to the wood stove.