The Bermuda Triangle of Cycling: L.A. to N.Y. to Miami

1 view

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Apr 11, 2011, 2:39:03 PM4/11/11
Report not abuse
Outside Magazine has run this article of "Rage Against Your Machine,"
where cycling in N.Y. is seen as a very dangerous activity, and
comments from California and Miami confirm that. Here's comment from
California:

"Having been the victim of two careless drivers... I still bike and
the rage remains."

"I've ridden to work in Manhattan everyday for six years... It's ten
hours a week of combat commuting at its purest."

And I can confirm the same from Miami. Then the triangle is formed.
Notice how Key West falls outside the triangle and and so does
Portland and San Diego, which I hear has many bike lanes. Texas, on
the other hand, falls in the triangle and many bad things are heard
from there.

Don't call me superstitious just wise, Wise TibetanMonkey.

http://webspawner.com/users/BIKEFORPEACE

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Apr 11, 2011, 3:04:01 PM4/11/11
Report not abuse
READ THIS CAREFULLY! This may be the last post before they take it
down. They closed my last thread MAKING NOISE about local conditions.
Well, they told me to go to Key West, which is outside the
triangle... ;)

Posted by Matt Meltzer
Gainesville an Austin fall in there too. Some of the most bike-
friendly places I've been. Seems a bit much to classify half the
geographical area of the country as a "dangerous" zone. Crowded
cities, sure. But I'm sure rural Georgia isn't too bad to bike in.

***

I hear rural areas are the most dangerous, perhaps due to speeds.
Gainesville and few other places do have bicycle culture. Orlando is
growing. We only have to tame now 99.99% of the remaining area, which
should amount to about 3/4 of the country, excluding Alaska which I
hear is also very dangerous.

Forrest Hodge

Apr 11, 2011, 4:24:52 PM4/11/11
On 4/11/2011 2:39 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser

Ten hours a week in commuting? Wouldn't the subway be faster and
arguably less dangerous?

Don Klipstein

Apr 11, 2011, 7:03:51 PM4/11/11
In <e48cdfe2-598c-4bd4...@h38g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
His Highness the TibetanMonkey wrote in part (edited for space):

>Outside Magazine has run this article of "Rage Against Your Machine,"
>where cycling in N.Y. is seen as a very dangerous activity,

<SNIP to NYC, my point is NYC>

>"I've ridden to work in Manhattan everyday for six years... It's ten
>hours a week of combat commuting at its purest."

I thought New York City, especially Manhattan, was a place where
hundreds of bicycle messengers found employment.

If I remember correctly, NYC's messengers got 50,000 traffic tickets in
some short period of time (maybe a single month) shortly after they took
emboldment from the movie "Quicksilver".

There is the matter of the aggressiveness of NYC's drivers and
pedestrians. However, I have found that aggressiveness to be more orderly
and predictable than that of Philadelphia's drivers and pedestrians, and
accordingly less dangerous - even though Philly's drivers on average are
less aggressive than NYC's.

My advice to someone considering cycling on NYC's streets: Ask a few
who do so already, and have done so for the past year or more while still
being alive to ask, and have not had a hospital admission due to a bike
crash after their 1st 6 months of cycling in NYC.
--
- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Apr 11, 2011, 9:49:38 PM4/11/11
On Apr 11, 7:03 pm, d...@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:
> In <e48cdfe2-598c-4bd4-9ef2-7aae99de1...@h38g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,

Here's the article. Three points I want to make, since they try to
soften the message:

1- It's not mice against roaches. IT'S RATS AGAINST MICE.

2- "It's almost political." In reality it's more than political. It's
a revolution that we need.

3- It's not "Rage Against Your Machine." It's rage of the machine
against the human being, including pedestrians.

"What is it about cyclists that can turn sane, law-abiding drivers
into shrieking maniacs? The author ponders the eternal conflict with
help from bike supercommuter Joe Simonetti, who each week survives the
hostile, traffic-clogged rat race between the New York exurbs and
Midtown Manhattan."

http://outsideonline.com/adventure/travel-ga-201103-new-york-bike-commuting-sidwcmdev_154507.html

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Apr 12, 2011, 9:29:40 AM4/12/11
On Apr 11, 9:49 pm, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser
Philosopher" <comandante.ban...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> http://outsideonline.com/adventure/travel-ga-201103-new-york-bike-com...

"Florida Girl" confirms my Wisdom that Life's a Beach away from the
roads where life's a bitch... But does she know about the Beach
Cruiser? She doesn't have to face the sharks!

"After cycling in south and central Fla my whole life (and even during
my time in Africa as a Peace Corps volunteer), I finally gave it up
for surfing. I found myself finishing bike rides filled with road rage
at all the stupidity and life-threatening encounters with mean-
spirited and unaware drivers. I now surf. People ask me if I worry
about sharks and I tell them I'd rather swim with the sharks than ride
with the public! (and am more relaxed and happy after a surf session)"

Harry Brogan

Apr 12, 2011, 10:56:37 AM4/12/11
On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 16:24:52 -0400, Forrest Hodge <fo...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On 4/11/2011 2:39 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser
>Philosopher wrote:
>> Outside Magazine has run this article of "Rage Against Your Machine,"
>> where cycling in N.Y. is seen as a very dangerous activity, and
>> comments from California and Miami confirm that. Here's comment from
>> California:
>>
>> "Having been the victim of two careless drivers... I still bike and
>> the rage remains."
>>
>> "I've ridden to work in Manhattan everyday for six years... It's ten
>> hours a week of combat commuting at its purest."
>>
>> And I can confirm the same from Miami. Then the triangle is formed.
>> Notice how Key West falls outside the triangle and and so does
>> Portland and San Diego, which I hear has many bike lanes. Texas, on
>> the other hand, falls in the triangle and many bad things are heard
>> from there.
>>
>> Don't call me superstitious just wise, Wise TibetanMonkey.

TEN hours a DAY commuting?? BULLSHIT. Your numbers simply would NOT
add up for an average work day. Figure that if you commute for TEN
hours and work for EIGHT that's eighteen hours. Then if you add in
simple things, like EATING, SHOWERING and going to the bathroom you
are NOT getting any sleep. If you add in just ONE hour a day for each
of those you are at 21 hours total for EACH day. I don't know of
anyone that's going to last long on THREE hours of rest for very long.

Therefore you TEN hour-a-day commute is complete BULLSHIT.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Apr 12, 2011, 1:59:01 PM4/12/11
I keep adding my wisdom to the forum (adding fuel to the fire, so to
speak):

"People talk about cyclists as if we were all ONE SPECIES. No we are
not. Elite cyclists --usually riding in colorful packs-- set the bad
reputation for all.

This is the species that we need to feed: HUMBLE CYCLIST DOING ERRANDS
OR COMMUTING. Let's call it BIPEDAL HOMO SAPIENS, where bipedal refers
to the pedals and sapiens to being smart.

Elite and bipedal species don't even relate to each other. What's the
point of them launching an SUV to launch a bike?"

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Apr 12, 2011, 2:03:05 PM4/12/11
This is classical class struggle: the Fat Ass vs. the Fit Ass, and
the Fat Ass wins every time by sheer size. When will the Fit Ass rise
up and do something?

Don't ask me what can it be, but TAKING THE LANE in a coordinated
manner may take us somewhere short of communism.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Apr 12, 2011, 2:31:24 PM4/12/11
On Apr 12, 10:56 am, Harry Brogan <hbroga...@NOSPAMyahooNOSPAM.com>
wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 16:24:52 -0400, Forrest Hodge <f...@hotmail.com>

It says 10 hours A WEEK, doesn't it?

The guy in the article though...

When I heard about Simonetti's commute—some 50-odd road miles as
Google Maps flies—I was vaguely stupefied. It may or may not be the
longest bike commute in America...

Note he does it TWICE A WEEK!

ATP

Apr 12, 2011, 5:05:56 PM4/12/11

"Harry Brogan" <hbro...@NOSPAMyahooNOSPAM.com> wrote in message

a week

Harry Brogan

Apr 12, 2011, 6:33:12 PM4/12/11

My mistake. I did misread it.

With that said, if you are having all of those problems being in
"combat" perhaps you are better off taking some form of public
transportation.

Seems that ALL of those delivery riders do it on a day to day basis.
And I am sure that they have their problems. But, if it's as bad as
YOU say it is, businesses like that wouldn't last long....

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Apr 12, 2011, 7:55:08 PM4/12/11
On Apr 12, 6:33 pm, Harry Brogan <hbroga...@NOSPAMyahooNOSPAM.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 17:05:56 -0400, "ATP"
>

> <walter_mun...@unforgiven.com> wrote:
>
> >"Harry Brogan" <hbroga...@NOSPAMyahooNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> >> On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 16:24:52 -0400, Forrest Hodge <f...@hotmail.com>

Those are personal accounts from the magazine. I think you have to
subscribe to read it but it's a great article.

Here are a couple of comments that I subscribe to:

"Overtaking crashes are quite rare (8.6% of crashes). And riding to
the right will not prevent them -- many of those 8.6% occurred on
shoulders and bike lanes. Taking the lane works. It's not moral --
it's fact."

(I do support TAKING THE LANE all the time. There's only one way to go
and that's over my dead body.)

"Great article! Although he hints at it (drivers think cyclists are
'losers' and are glad to not be one of them), Vanderbilt does not
recognize the class issues that affect some motorist-cyclist
relations. Although perhaps less pronounced amongst spandex-clad
roadies on carbon bikes, those who bike because they have no other
option (especially in public transportation-challenged cities like Los
Angeles, where I live) must also bear the brunt of drivers who think
of themselves as superior."

(I said that before. Elite cyclists often behave aggressive and give
the rest a bad reputation. "The rest" also is also the "mundane" or
commuter cyclist.)

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Apr 12, 2011, 8:00:33 PM4/12/11
These are personal accounts from the magazine. I think you have to

ATP

Apr 13, 2011, 7:05:37 AM4/13/11

"Harry Brogan" <hbro...@NOSPAMyahooNOSPAM.com> wrote in message

I just joined the thread. I'm not sure how bad it is, but those businesses
can keep on going as long as there are young men willing to be messengers.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Apr 13, 2011, 8:59:31 AM4/13/11
On Apr 13, 7:05 am, "ATP" <walter_mun...@unforgiven.com> wrote:
> "Harry Brogan" <hbroga...@NOSPAMyahooNOSPAM.com> wrote in message

> > On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 17:05:56 -0400, "ATP"
> > <walter_mun...@unforgiven.com> wrote:
>
> >>"Harry Brogan" <hbroga...@NOSPAMyahooNOSPAM.com> wrote in message

The guy in the story is not a messenger. He's professional therapist
or something.

You can still talk about messengers though. ;)

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Apr 13, 2011, 9:28:45 AM4/13/11
I'm scanning through the article and find the first three issues:

1- Reckless driving,

2- Hit & Run,

3- Indifferent police/judicial system...

SOMEWHERE SOUTH of Pelham, Simonetti tells me of a crash last summer,
in the Bronx, that left him with a broken collarbone. It was a "right
hook," one of the most common crash types for cyclists: a driver,
traveling in Simonetti's lane ahead of him, suddenly turned right—
without signaling—directly into Simonetti's path. An ambulance
responded quickly, but the police did not. The paramedics told
Simonetti the police would deal with the driver when they arrived, he
says. "But the guy left. I don't blame him." When the police,
investigating what was now a hit-and-run, came to the hospital, they
asked him if he'd gotten the license-plate number. "I was laid out on
the ground," he laughs. The driver was never found.

Jym Dyer

Apr 15, 2011, 10:22:42 AM4/15/11
_Outside_magazine_ allegedly writes:
| "I've ridden to work in Manhattan everyday for six years...
| It's ten hours a week of combat commuting at its purest."

Forrest Hodge replies:

> Ten hours a week in commuting? Wouldn't the subway be faster
> and arguably less dangerous?

=v= Years of grassroots activism has transformed Manhattan
into a fantastic (and, statistically, very safe) place to bike.
I feel sorry for the person quoted in _Outside_, constrained
only by a fearful mind, assuming that he/she actually exists.

=v= There are outer parts of the five boros where the subway
doen't reach, not to mention New Jersey. Some of these areas
have wider roads and more speeding, reckless motorists than
you'll find in Manhattan. Still, any 1-hour commute there is
going to include some awesome bike routes.
<_Jym_>

Jym Dyer

Apr 15, 2011, 10:29:07 AM4/15/11
Don Klipstein wrote:
> If I remember correctly, NYC's messengers got 50,000 traffic
> tickets in some short period of time (maybe a single month)
> shortly after they took emboldment from the movie
> "Quicksilver".

=v= You're joking, right? That movie was totally ludicrous,
and is deservingly mocked and scorned by messengers worldwide.
It is a source of great waves of laughter, not emboldment.
<_Jym_>

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Apr 15, 2011, 11:09:12 PM4/15/11
On Apr 15, 10:22 am, Jym Dyer <j...@econet.org> wrote:

> _Outside_magazine_ allegedly writes:
>
> | "I've ridden to work in Manhattan everyday for six years...
> | It's ten hours a week of combat commuting at its purest."
>
> Forrest Hodge replies:

> > Ten hours a week in commuting? Wouldn't the subway be faster
> > and arguably less dangerous?
>
> =v= Years of grassroots activism has transformed Manhattan
> into a fantastic (and, statistically, very safe) place to bike.
> I feel sorry for the person quoted in _Outside_, constrained
> only by a fearful mind, assuming that he/she actually exists.
>
> =v= There are outer parts of the five boros where the subway
> doen't reach, not to mention New Jersey. Some of these areas
> have wider roads and more speeding, reckless motorists than
> you'll find in Manhattan. Still, any 1-hour commute there is
> going to include some awesome bike routes.
> <_Jym_>

Read the comments from *all over the nation* before denying
everything. What is this, false too?

"Last September, in Maryland, Natasha Pettigrew, a Green Party
candidate for U.S. Senate, was training at dawn for a triathlon when
she was fatally struck by a Cadillac Escalade. No charges have yet
been filed against the driver, who said that she thought she'd hit an
animal until she got home and found Pettigrew's bike lodged under her
car. In Florida, the country's deadliest state for cyclists—119 deaths
in 2007, ten more than California despite having half the population—
two riders participating in last year's annual Memorial Day ride were
stabbed by a driver after words were exchanged on the road."

Bret Cahill

Apr 15, 2011, 11:20:36 PM4/15/11
> Texas, on
> the other hand, falls in the triangle and many bad things are heard
> from there.

Texans might not have the highest cycling rate but the State of Texas
has many thousands of miles of service roads that are almost free of
motorists, at least out side of city limits.

Most of the roads in TX have generous shoulders and/or broad emergency
lanes.

Texans are not generally malicious and will try to avoid striking a
cyclist.

Try to remember, Lance is from Texas.

Bret Cahill

Peter Cole

Apr 16, 2011, 8:11:38 AM4/16/11

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Apr 16, 2011, 9:44:16 AM4/16/11

I was inspired by Opus the Poet and he has some pretty scary stories
to tell us. Besides it was one of the few states that refused to give
3' of clearance to cyclists, not that it means anything but it goes to
show that they want to avoid liability for drivers at all costs.

Elite and mundane cyclists have nothing in common but their two
wheels. The wannabe Lances often travel in pack and travel fast almost
at the speed of the cars. Regrettably their sport is good for their
heart rates, but not much to substitute the car, as they are likely to
use an SUV to launch a bike.

We have those here in Key Biscayne as a microcosm of the real world of
cycling, ie. that one done on sidewalks in order to survive. Elite
cyclists are often elitist but not always, quoting someone that made
the distinction.

The Bermuda Triangle still is a good point of reference and the NW
Pacific Coast is exceptionally good by comparison.

Opus

Apr 16, 2011, 10:46:07 AM4/16/11
On Apr 16, 8:44 am, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser
Philosopher" <nolionnoprob...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>snip<

> I was inspired by Opus the Poet and he has some pretty scary stories
> to tell us. Besides it was one of the few states that refused to give
> 3' of clearance to cyclists, not that it means anything but it goes to
> show that they want to avoid liability for drivers at all costs.

I have noticed a big difference between the treatment I get from
drivers in cities, particularly the one I live in, and rural areas.
Drivers in rural areas tend to pass further away and have much less
hostility than their city mouse cousins. Unfortunately almost all the
riding I have done in the last 3 years has been within 5 miles of my
house.

And it wasn't Texas that refused to pass the Vulnerable Road Users
law, it was Rick Perry, our very own Gov. Goodhair.

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Apr 16, 2011, 11:11:05 AM4/16/11
On 4/13/2011 6:05 AM, ATP wrote:
> "Harry Brogan"<hbro...@NOSPAMyahooNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> [...]

>> Seems that ALL of those delivery riders do it on a day to day basis.
>> And I am sure that they have their problems. But, if it's as bad as
>> YOU say it is, businesses like that wouldn't last long....
>
> I just joined the thread. I'm not sure how bad it is, but those businesses
> can keep on going as long as there are young men willing to be messengers.

The real enemies of the bicycle messenger business are scanners, PDFs,
electronic signatures, and email.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

ATP

Apr 16, 2011, 12:12:16 PM4/16/11

"Tºm ShermªnT °_°" <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI$southslope.net"> wrote in
message news:iocbi6$4cn$2...@dont-email.me...
True, although a few things will still have to be delivered by hand. I was
just thinking that accidents aren't such a problem for the companies if the
messengers work as independent contractors and can be replaced. The
companies don't bear the cost of the accidents as I doubt many (if any) are
regular employees with worker's comp.

Trevor A Panther

Apr 16, 2011, 2:27:43 PM4/16/11
Top posted deliberately

And I wish you lot would stop cross posting this USA stuff on to
"uk.rec.cycling"

It is to, say the least, a total PIA!

You will note that I have deleted "urc" from the list in this response

--
From
Trevor A Panther
"Peter Cole" <peter...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Edward Dolan

Apr 16, 2011, 4:41:45 PM4/16/11
"Trevor A Panther" <ta...@Psantispamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> Top posted deliberately
>

> And I wish you lot would stop cross posting this USA stuff on to
> "uk.rec.cycling"
>
> It is to, say the least, a total PIA!
>
> You will note that I have deleted "urc" from the list in this response

Your problem is with just one poster who goes by the moniker of "Tibetan
Monkey". I know for a fact that your newsgroup (URC) is as fucked up as any
in the world, but I do sympathize with what we all have to put up with
because of one gigantic idiot, i.e. TM! Figure out how to get rid of him and
the rest of us will be eternally grateful.

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Apr 16, 2011, 9:53:33 PM4/16/11
On Apr 16, 11:11 am, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI

$southslope.net"> wrote:
> On 4/13/2011 6:05 AM, ATP wrote:
>
> > "Harry Brogan"<hbroga...@NOSPAMyahooNOSPAM.com>  wrote in message

> >> [...]
> >> Seems that ALL of those delivery riders do it on a day to day basis.
> >> And I am sure that they have their problems.  But, if it's as bad as
> >> YOU say it is, businesses like that  wouldn't last long....
>
> > I just joined the thread. I'm not sure how bad it is, but those businesses
> > can keep on going as long as there are young men willing to be messengers.
>
> The real enemies of the bicycle messenger business are scanners, PDFs,
> electronic signatures, and email.

How about if you want to deliver some pot on time?

I learned that from Quicksilver.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Apr 16, 2011, 9:55:32 PM4/16/11
On Apr 16, 2:27 pm, "Trevor A Panther"

<ta...@Psantispamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Top posted deliberately
>
> And I wish you lot would stop cross posting this USA stuff on to
> "uk.rec.cycling"
>
> It is to, say the least, a total PIA!
>
> You will note that I have deleted "urc" from the list in this response
>
> --
> From
> Trevor A Panther
> In South Yorkshire,
> England, United Kingdomwww.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk"Peter Cole" <peter_c...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> >> Texans might not have the highest cycling rate but the State of Texas
> >> has many thousands of miles of service roads that are almost free of
> >> motorists, at least out side of city limits.
>
> >> Most of the roads in TX have generous shoulders and/or broad emergency
> >> lanes.
>
> >> Texans are not generally malicious and will try to avoid striking a
> >> cyclist.
>
> >> Try to remember, Lance is from Texas.
>
> > Yeah, but that's not what he said about riding in Texas, or at least
> > around Austin.
>
> >> Bret Cahill
>
> >http://tinyurl.com/5veo82u
>
> >http://books.google.com/books?id=bx9S-KnH4m4C&lpg=PA18&ots=slekrz9id5...

The UK is not a full political entity without America. It's tied by
the ocean and some other common interests.

For example, English.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Apr 16, 2011, 9:57:52 PM4/16/11
On Apr 16, 4:41 pm, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
> "Trevor A Panther" <ta...@Psantispamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in messagenews:Aclqp.4178$Ir....@newsfe13.ams2...

> > Top posted deliberately
>
> > And I wish you lot would stop cross posting this USA stuff on to
> > "uk.rec.cycling"
>
> > It is to, say the least, a total PIA!
>
> > You will note that I have deleted "urc" from the list in this response
>
> Your problem is with just one poster who goes by the moniker of "Tibetan
> Monkey". I know for a fact that your newsgroup (URC) is as fucked up as any
> in the world, but I do sympathize with what we all have to put up with
> because of one gigantic idiot, i.e. TM! Figure out how to get rid of him and
> the rest of us will be eternally grateful.

Listen, my wisdom has gone as far as Tibet, why not the UK?

Nobody, but nobody is hiding from the truth. Not even you in
Minnesota.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Apr 16, 2011, 10:17:13 PM4/16/11

That's a dangerous governor, I tell you.

Opus, use the Wisdom of the Jungle or common sense and you will see
some hidden dangers on country roads. Firstly, they don't expect bikes
there. Secondly, they may be half sleep. And thirdly, you won't
receive any aid in a hit and run.

I think we have to survive in our Urban Jungle waiting for a miracle.
Well, it's not miracle if we work together to make it happen. ;)

What are the news of the day, according to your record of incidents
and accidents, which are not accidents but preventable incidents.

Incidents are close calls and accidents require a lawyer or
undertaker.

Bret Cahill

Apr 17, 2011, 11:41:47 AM4/17/11
> Outside Magazine has run this article of "Rage Against Your Machine,"
> where cycling in N.Y. is seen as a very dangerous activity, and
> comments from California and Miami confirm that. Here's comment from
> California:
>
> "Having been the victim of two careless drivers... I still bike and
> the rage remains."
>
> "I've ridden to work in Manhattan everyday for six years... It's ten
> hours a week of combat commuting at its purest."
>
> And I can confirm the same from Miami. Then the triangle is formed.
> Notice how Key West falls outside the triangle and and so does
> Portland and San Diego, which I hear has many bike lanes. Texas, on

> the other hand, falls in the triangle and many bad things are heard
> from there.

Anecdotal may not count but a couple decades ago I was heading north
out of Tampa and was almost struck [< 1"] by a car doing 90 mph. I
watched and waited for his brake lights to come on as there was a
short narrow bridge and another motorist about 1 mile ahead.

The brake lights never came on and I heard the crash a mile away.
When I passed both had pulled over and I yelled "learn how to drive,
you almost hit me back there" to the guy in the rear. I went to the
end of my loop and returned as usual. When I got to the accident
scene each vehicle had a crowd around it. The middle aged guy in the
front vehicle saw me and said, "sir, this guy claims he's a sheriff's
deputy . . ."

I nailed the brakes, pulled over and said loud enough for everyone to
hear. "I'm an expert witness. He was going at least 85 mph, probably
90. Here's my home phone number, office number . . . "

For months after that the cop, even when he was in his cruiser, would
blair his horn as he passed.

Every now and then Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office will get
caught in some sordid perverted incident that'll make national news.

It's a systemic problem.

Bret Cahill

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Apr 17, 2011, 3:19:09 PM4/17/11
On Apr 17, 11:41 am, Bret Cahill <Bret_E_Cah...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Every now and then Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office will get
> caught in some sordid perverted incident that'll make national news.
>
> It's a systemic problem.

Yes indeed. Blaming some individuals doesn't do justice to the size of
the problem.

Anyway, right here in Florida wild things happen all the time, and we
hardly have the time to swallow it, let alone the energy to fight the
system. Can we blame the driver or the system? You be the judge...

"Mr. King came to us from Prescott, Arizona. Others arrived from
Michigan, Canada, Wisconsin, Oregon and points north, south east and
west. They came here from far and wide because they all shared a
common passion.

They came to Bike Florida because they ached to round a bend on a back
country road and suddenly find themselves passing beneath a vast oak
canopy draped with silver Spanish Moss all aglow in the rays of a
rising sun. They came here to see crystal clear water gushing up from
the ground and running away in glistening rivulets, like so many
liquid jewels. Some came because snow still covered their favorite
bikeways back home. And others came because nobody is going to tell
them they are not still capable, no matter their age, of cycling 40,
50, 60 or even 70 miles a day, day after day. Or even a century if
they have a mind to.

Robert Paul King rode among us and with us. Until that moment shortly
after noon on Wednesday, March 30, when he was among us no more. Mr.
King was killed after being struck from behind by a fast-moving pickup
truck. The driver, a young man, reportedly told police he had dropped
his cell phone and was reaching down to retrieve it when his vehicle
drifted into the marked shoulder where Mr. King had been cycling."

http://bikeflorida.org/wordpress/

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Apr 17, 2011, 7:44:40 PM4/17/11
On Apr 17, 3:19 pm, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser
Philosopher" <nolionnoprob...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> http://bikeflorida.org/wordpress/

Same article above:

"In my day job I’m an editorial writer for the Gainesville Sun. I’ve
lost count of the number of editorials I’ve written over the years
about distracted driving. I am continually amazed at the cynicism
imbued in our political process that allows our legislators to, year
after year, ignore the deadly statistics associated with distracted
driving. Ban hand-held cell phone use while driving? Outlaw texting
while driving? That might annoy voters who like to do all three at
once."

So find a quiet beach or park if you are not playing Russian Roulette
with your life, and remember the wisdom of the Beach Cruiser...

Bret Cahill

Apr 17, 2011, 9:48:42 PM4/17/11
> >http://bikeflorida.org/wordpress/
>
> Same article above:
>
> "In my day job I’m an editorial writer for the Gainesville Sun. I’ve
> lost count of the number of editorials I’ve written over the years
> about distracted driving. I am continually amazed at the cynicism
> imbued in our political process that allows our legislators to, year
> after year, ignore the deadly statistics associated with distracted
> driving. Ban hand-held cell phone use while driving? Outlaw texting
> while driving? That might annoy voters who like to do all three at
> once."
>
> So find a quiet beach or park if you are not playing Russian Roulette
> with your life, and remember the wisdom of the Beach Cruiser...

April is distracted driver awareness month.

Bret Cahill

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Apr 17, 2011, 11:27:28 PM4/17/11

I think it's better to have them try a beach cruiser.

Bret Cahill

Apr 17, 2011, 11:53:27 PM4/17/11

They can pry my handlebars out of my cold dead hands.

Bret Cahill

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Apr 18, 2011, 8:47:08 AM4/18/11

Use gloves and winter gear... But the beach cruiser is the ultimate
bike for reckless drivers. ;)

Jym Dyer

Apr 19, 2011, 1:41:04 AM4/19/11
Digested-and-Excreted-Banana-For-Brains writes:
> Read the comments from *all over the nation* before denying
> everything. What is this, false too?
>
> "Last September, in Maryland, Natasha Pettigrew, a Green Party
> candidate for U.S. Senate, was training at dawn for a triathlon
> when she was fatally struck by a Cadillac Escalade. ..."

=v= I do keep on top of the nation's bicycle news, and I got
word of this from reputable sources last September, when it
happened. Such sources did not attempt to turn this tragedy
into some kind of support for their agenda of spreading fear
about an insane concocted fictional Bermuda Triangle scenario.
(For the record, one data point proves nothing whatsover, hard
as that may be for insane scenario-concocters to comprehend.)

=v= Let me also add that I would never dream of abiding by any
imperative "Read ..." statement from this lunatic, who first
went by the name "Millenium Twain" and is now rotating his
moniker so as to insult Tibetans, primates, beaches, cruisers,
philosophy, majesty, comandantes, and the venerable banana.

=v= I hope to disabuse this character of any delusion that I
bother to read any of his stuff. In fact I usually employ a
convoluted tangle of Lisp to ignore not only his (generally
totally off-topic cross-)postings and any subthread that he
participates in. The downside of this approach is that I have,
over time, stored this nutcase's every Message-ID. Given his
obvious OCD and shear output, it has grown into a *plonk*file
of enormous proportions. I have cleared it out to start anew,
which is why I'm even in this thread.

=v= So in conclusion, go and do likewise, share and enjoy.
<_Jym_>

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Apr 19, 2011, 4:06:04 AM4/19/11
On Apr 19, 1:41 am, Jym Dyer <j...@econet.org> wrote:
> Digested-and-Excreted-Banana-For-Brains writes:
> > Read the comments from *all over the nation* before denying
> > everything. What is this, false too?
>
> > "Last September, in Maryland, Natasha Pettigrew, a Green Party
> > candidate for U.S. Senate, was training at dawn for a triathlon
> > when she was fatally struck by a Cadillac Escalade. ..."
>
> =v= I do keep on top of the nation's bicycle news, and I got
> word of this from reputable sources last September, when it
> happened. Such sources did not attempt to turn this tragedy
> into some kind of support for their agenda of spreading fear
> about an insane concocted fictional Bermuda Triangle scenario.
> (For the record, one data point proves nothing whatsover, hard
> as that may be for insane scenario-concocters to comprehend.)

In case you followed the news as you claim, her mom is trying to
change the laws because drivers get away with misdemeanors while
cyclists are fair game to all kinds of reckless drivers.

Tell you what, big part of the problem is that cyclists are worth LESS
THAN DOGS when they are hit and often abandoned. Unless we make
DRIVERS RESPONSIBLE we will keep being road kills.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Apr 19, 2011, 4:15:14 AM4/19/11
On Apr 19, 2:17 am, necromancer
<Zidane's_Last_Red_Card@worldofnecromancer_no_spam_no_way.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 11:47:45 -0700 (PDT), "His Highness the

> TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher"
>
> <comandante.ban...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Subject: I don't want to sound like I'm preaching
>
> Then shut the fuck up.

Just that the world needs more beach cruisers and fewer SUVs. Imagine
we could get all those Fat Asses on bikes!

It's not the kind of preaching you hear in church.

"Hey you fat asses, where are your bikes? Now go home and don't come
back until you come in a humble bike. Don't be an ass! Stop whining
over Jesus and do something, for Christ's sake!"