Thin chicken slices too muscular

anthona

Jun 27, 2017, 7:32:02 PM6/27/17
Why is it allowed for supermarkets to sell what they advertise as thin, sliced chicken? I just bought a package that has 3 slices, and one of those 3 was even smaller than the 2. I have a habit of putting each slice between wax paper and bang the hell out of them and yet after frying them, most of them are tough. It is obvious too easy to get rid of that type of chicken, though for me they were not cheap.How do they get away with selling those 'rubberized' chicken slices..most of them were not chewable and had to be discarded.. Is there a way to avoid those type of chicken slices? its hard to tell when your looking at them on the counter.

wilm...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2017, 3:07:49 PM6/30/17
Solution; slice the slices yourself. Buy the piece you like and slice to desired thickness. Buying pre-sliced you're paying a union worker who is indifferent in his slicing. Do it yourself. A good knife is an investment. Buying the bigger unsliced pieces gives you more control over choice.

Of course I could I could be wrong, as I have no idea what you're talking about. Sliced chicken?

Bob F

Jun 30, 2017, 6:38:51 PM6/30/17
On 6/27/2017 4:31 PM, anthona wrote:
> Why is it allowed for supermarkets to sell what they advertise as thin, sliced chicken? I just bought a package that has 3 slices, and one of those 3 was even smaller than the 2. I have a habit of putting each slice between wax paper and bang the hell out of them and yet after frying them, most of them are tough. It is obvious too easy to get rid of that type of chicken, though for me they were not cheap.How do they get away with selling those 'rubberized' chicken slices..most of them were not chewable and had to be discarded.. Is there a way to avoid those type of chicken slices? its hard to tell when your looking at them on the counter.

If you want tender, you want more fat. So buy fat slices rather than
thin slices.

hchi...@hotmail.com

Jul 1, 2017, 1:41:11 PM7/1/17
On Tue, 27 Jun 2017 16:31:57 -0700 (PDT), anthona <harri...@aol.com> wrote:

>Why is it allowed for supermarkets to sell what they advertise as thin, sliced chicken? I just bought a package that has 3 slices, and one of those 3 was even smaller than the 2. I have a habit of putting each slice between wax paper and bang the hell out of them and yet after frying them, most of them are tough. It is obvious too easy to get rid of that type of chicken, though for me they were not cheap.How do they get away with selling those 'rubberized' chicken slices..most of them were not chewable and had to be discarded.. Is there a way to avoid those type of chicken slices? its hard to tell when your looking at them on the counter.

I've not seen (or paid attention to) chicken sold that way. The standard way to
handle any tougher meat is to slice on a bias to the grain of the meat, so that
there is only a short section of muscle fiber in each slice. Most "rubber"
chicken has been overcooked at high heat. Fear of salmonella has most home
cooks cooking far longer or hotter than needed.

The Real Bev

Jul 1, 2017, 1:49:29 PM7/1/17
Life used to be better. I don't remember my grandma washing the
Thanksgiving turkey, although I do remember her removing pinfeather
stubs. Fowl didn't used to be 'cleaned' in its own juices, though.

I wonder if dropping boneless skinless chicken breasts (yeah, I'm lazy
and I don't like dark meat) in a bleach solution and then rinsing would
take care of any residual nastiness. I've never been a germophobe (and
I have witness who will swear to it), but I worry about raw chicken.

--
Cheers, Bev
"My life outside of USENET is so full of love and kindness that I have

hchi...@hotmail.com

Jul 3, 2017, 12:34:00 PM7/3/17
I don't worry about it, any more than I worry about a "bad" egg. IIRC, a WEAK
bleach or hydrogen peroxide or grapefruit seed extract solution will reduce
pathogen levels, both with chicken and with raw veggies (which can be worse).

With chicken, I sear the outside, but only bring the interior up to enough to
barely cook it. This fellow actually has it right:

http://www.yourdoctorsorders.com/2013/06/dont-overcook-healthy-cooking/

People who will let their pets kiss them (after those same pets have licked
their butts) freak out at chicken that isn't cooked into hockey puck texture.

If you have fear you had some undercooked meat, have a glass of wine.