Paint matching - Home Depot / Lowes or paint store ?

nosp...@nospam.com

Dec 21, 2003, 5:30:12 PM12/21/03
I need to do some interior touch up interior painting and I want to
get a good result . Lowes and Home Depot are a lot more convenient
thatn the nearest Duron or Sherwin Willians Paint store . Can HD or
Lowes do a good job with their " computerized " matching systems

HCN

Dec 21, 2003, 6:45:13 PM12/21/03

<nosp...@nospam.com> wrote in message

The best luck I had was with an independent paint store (after having a
disaster with the Home Depot match). They insisted that it was more than
"mix while you wait". I had to drop off the sample (in this case a
laminated drawer of the cabinets we wanted matched) and leave it for at
least a day. They apparently took the computer analysis and then tweaked it
to get a better mix. They also had better quality paint than the &^%$#! at
Home depot, but it was more expensive

Art Begun

Dec 21, 2003, 8:35:27 PM12/21/03
My house was painted with Duron paint. Would never use it again so I
would not bother with their paint matching service. Outside mildew
lovers it, inside semi gloss whites yellow after a couple of years
even without sunlight on it.

Roger

Dec 21, 2003, 9:23:49 PM12/21/03
All the HD-bashing on this newsgroup notwithstanding, I've had good luck
with HD paint matching, altho it helped that I had the name and number of
the original Benjamin Moore color I was trying to match. HD has an extensive
paint color database, with formulas, of competitor brands. Once they mixed
to the Moore formula, I had them dab, and blow dry, some of the HD paint on
the BJ paint chip sample I brought in, just to confirm. This approach worked
for us - and we have not tried the computer match. That may be more iffy
result, as dried and aged paint, depending on whether it is acrylic or
alkyd, could frustrate the effort to match with a new HD paint, which itself
darkens at unknown rates, with time.

Edwin Pawlowski

Dec 21, 2003, 10:32:18 PM12/21/03

<nosp...@nospam.com> wrote in message

They all use good equipment to read the sample The skill of the mixer makes
a difference. Sort of a crap shoot at any store if you don't know who is
doing the work.

I use an independent paint dealer and get excellent results, good prices,
and good service, If you find one, stick with him.
Ed
e...@snet.net
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Michael Daly

Dec 21, 2003, 11:28:22 PM12/21/03
On 21-Dec-2003, "Edwin Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote:

> They all use good equipment to read the sample The skill of the mixer makes
> a difference. Sort of a crap shoot at any store if you don't know who is
> doing the work.

Computer reads the sample, computer determines the mix, computer dispenses
the pigment. The only thing the employee does is put the can in the
shaker. Where's the skill? (At least, that's the way it was done last time
I had a paint colour matched a month ago).

Mike

Linda M. Young

Dec 22, 2003, 4:21:12 PM12/22/03

We needed to paint our porch the same color as our new sidings and
took the sample of siding to Lowe's for them to match. The clerk waved
the sample in front of whatever little scanner they use and it was
mixed in about ten minutes. He then smeared a sample of the paint on
to our siding sample. In five minutes when the paint dried you
couldn't tell where the paint had been daubed on.

I'd say it was a good match. <g>

Linda
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
"...What they say, don't believe;
Every hope needs room to breathe.
Show me where it says
I can't keep dreamin'.
Ain't no law that says
I can't keep dreamin'..."
.....Rupert Holmes, "Show Me Where It Says"

Brad

Dec 22, 2003, 4:36:53 PM12/22/03
In article <rrneuv4bm6r12tl4h...@4ax.com>,
lindamry...@mindspring.com said...

> On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 22:30:12 GMT, nosp...@nospam.com wrote:
>
> > I need to do some interior touch up interior painting and I want to
> > get a good result . Lowes and Home Depot are a lot more convenient
> > thatn the nearest Duron or Sherwin Willians Paint store . Can HD or
> > Lowes do a good job with their " computerized " matching systems
>
> We needed to paint our porch the same color as our new sidings and
> took the sample of siding to Lowe's for them to match. The clerk waved
> the sample in front of whatever little scanner they use and it was
> mixed in about ten minutes. He then smeared a sample of the paint on
> to our siding sample. In five minutes when the paint dried you
> couldn't tell where the paint had been daubed on.
>
> I'd say it was a good match. <g>

I've tried a similar procedure. I believe it was at Sears. The scanner
was basically useless and I had to get a good match by searching their
chips with the old cranial scanner.

Lou

Dec 22, 2003, 4:42:55 PM12/22/03

"Linda M. Young" <lindamry...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 22:30:12 GMT, nosp...@nospam.com wrote:
>
> > I need to do some interior touch up interior painting and I want to
> > get a good result . Lowes and Home Depot are a lot more convenient
> > thatn the nearest Duron or Sherwin Willians Paint store . Can HD or
> > Lowes do a good job with their " computerized " matching systems
>
> We needed to paint our porch the same color as our new sidings and
> took the sample of siding to Lowe's for them to match. The clerk waved
> the sample in front of whatever little scanner they use and it was
> mixed in about ten minutes. He then smeared a sample of the paint on
> to our siding sample. In five minutes when the paint dried you
> couldn't tell where the paint had been daubed on.
>
> I'd say it was a good match. <g>

Just from experience, I've noticed that what looks like a good match indoors
under fluorescent lighting and outdoors on a sunny day aren't always the
same thing. Especially after the paint has dried or aged or whatever it is
after a few weeks.

davefr

Dec 22, 2003, 5:27:11 PM12/22/03
The computer just spits out the formula to start with. (it's close but
not a 100% match.) At that point a good paint store will tweak the
formula until it's perfect. Sherwinn Williams will even create a
custom color code for you and store it on their computer system in
case you even need more!!

Home Crapo will likely just tell you that's close enough becasue
that's what the computer says. They also carry crappy quality paint
and the tinting machine has probably never been calibrated.

You definately get what you pay for when it comes to paint.

Michael Daly

Dec 23, 2003, 1:13:46 AM12/23/03
On 22-Dec-2003, hennyh...@hotmail.com (davefr) wrote:

> The computer just spits out the formula to start with. (it's close but
> not a 100% match.) At that point a good paint store will tweak the
> formula until it's perfect.

How do they determine that it's perfect?

I watched the HD employee do it - they did nothing but put the chip
in the sampler and the pigmented paint can in the mixer. I painted
and couldn't see any difference. This in a room with bright sunlight.
There are questionable brands at HD, but there are some good ones as
well.

I realize that it's fashionable to dump on HD and others, but there
are _few_ paint stores that are better. I live in a city of several
million and there is _one_ paint store with an excellent reputation.
Meanwhile, HD sells paint to me without me travelling halfway across
town, struggling to find parking and paying a higher price. YMMV

Mike

Linda M. Young

Dec 23, 2003, 4:09:28 PM12/23/03
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 16:42:55 -0500, "Lou"
<lpogoda...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Just from experience, I've noticed that what looks like a good match indoors
> under fluorescent lighting and outdoors on a sunny day aren't always the
> same thing. Especially after the paint has dried or aged or whatever it is
> after a few weeks.

Very true, but this couldn't be told apart in sunlight. I never test
anything under fluorescents. Nasty things.

Mieko

Dec 29, 2003, 4:34:38 PM12/29/03

The computers do have to be calibrated, so a careless employee can make a big
difference. Someone who will take the time after the mixing to make sure it's
a good color (painting it somewhere, letting it dry, comparing it to your
sample) is worth the hassle if you're trying to match a current wall.

R.White

Dec 30, 2003, 4:27:18 PM12/30/03
mie...@iwon.com (Mieko) wrote in message news:<bsq6le$q3l$4...@fair.qualcomm.com>...

Like the 17 y.o goth dude with the pierced tongue and a giant bolt in
his ear that works at Wal-Mart.

FXtrader

Aug 21, 2021, 7:01:24 PM8/21/21
finally, someone that understands what computer color match does. comes out perfect every time. guess HD does not have.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/paint-matching-home-depot-lowes-or-paint-store-494742-.htm