Online travel sites not always frugal

William Souden

Jul 18, 2007, 9:43:58 PM7/18/07
I am flying next month on vacation from LA to NY. I want to take the
red eye going east as it gives me an extra day and a better chance to
have empty seats so I cal lie down while flying.

expedia,travelocity and pricelin (no the name your price section) all
had multiple layovers and changes for about $320.

Went to Continental had got non-stops for $350.

By the way,United had what I wanted but kept sending a "can not
process" message. Called up .explained and asked for the online fare.
Person #1 could not understand my request. Person #2 could only repeat
"only valid for on line bookings" over and over.

By the way, no matter what times I requested travelocity offered the
same choices in the same order.

Don K

Jul 18, 2007, 10:52:22 PM7/18/07
"William Souden" <sou...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Try Southwest.
$99 each way LA to and from NY between Aug 16 to Jan 11
Don

Binyamin Dissen

Jul 19, 2007, 5:08:14 AM7/19/07
On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 18:43:58 -0700 William Souden <sou...@nospam.com> wrote:

:> I am flying next month on vacation from LA to NY. I want to take the

:>red eye going east as it gives me an extra day and a better chance to
:>have empty seats so I cal lie down while flying.

Which day of the week?

Business people take the red-eye because it allows a full day of business.

:> expedia,travelocity and pricelin (no the name your price section) all

:>had multiple layovers and changes for about $320.

:> Went to Continental had got non-stops for $350.

:> By the way,United had what I wanted but kept sending a "can not
:>process" message. Called up .explained and asked for the online fare.
:>Person #1 could not understand my request. Person #2 could only repeat
:>"only valid for on line bookings" over and over.

:> By the way, no matter what times I requested travelocity offered the
:>same choices in the same order.

Try orbitz - it allows more options.

--
Binyamin Dissen <bdi...@dissensoftware.com>
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Message has been deleted

William Souden

Jul 19, 2007, 8:36:50 AM7/19/07
Binyamin Dissen wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 18:43:58 -0700 William Souden <sou...@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> :> I am flying next month on vacation from LA to NY. I want to take the
> :>red eye going east as it gives me an extra day and a better chance to
> :>have empty seats so I cal lie down while flying.
>
> Which day of the week?
>
> Business people take the red-eye because it allows a full day of business.

Thursday night. Have had good luck with this in the past.

> :> expedia,travelocity and pricelin (no the name your price section) all
> :>had multiple layovers and changes for about $320.
>
> :> Went to Continental had got non-stops for $350.
>
> :> By the way,United had what I wanted but kept sending a "can not
> :>process" message. Called up .explained and asked for the online fare.
> :>Person #1 could not understand my request. Person #2 could only repeat
> :>"only valid for on line bookings" over and over.
>
> :> By the way, no matter what times I requested travelocity offered the
> :>same choices in the same order.
>
> Try orbitz - it allows more options.

thanks, will try it next time.

William Souden

Jul 19, 2007, 8:38:21 AM7/19/07
Abe wrote:
> Have you used sidestep? Very good site.

Yes, but for that date they only had changes of planes. I do not mind
a layovers but I avoid multiple flights due to missed connections.

Binyamin Dissen

Jul 19, 2007, 11:04:16 AM7/19/07
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 05:36:50 -0700 William Souden <sou...@nospam.com> wrote:

:>Binyamin Dissen wrote:
:>> On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 18:43:58 -0700 William Souden <sou...@nospam.com> wrote:

:>> :> I am flying next month on vacation from LA to NY. I want to take the
:>> :>red eye going east as it gives me an extra day and a better chance to
:>> :>have empty seats so I cal lie down while flying.

:>> Which day of the week?

:>> Business people take the red-eye because it allows a full day of business.

:> Thursday night. Have had good luck with this in the past.

Worst night of the week for that. Full of business people coming back for the
weekend. I have not done that specific run, but have done quite a few other
"last flight" on Thursday nights.

William Souden

Jul 19, 2007, 12:43:25 PM7/19/07
Binyamin Dissen wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 05:36:50 -0700 William Souden <sou...@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> :>Binyamin Dissen wrote:
> :>> On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 18:43:58 -0700 William Souden <sou...@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> :>> :> I am flying next month on vacation from LA to NY. I want to take the
> :>> :>red eye going east as it gives me an extra day and a better chance to
> :>> :>have empty seats so I cal lie down while flying.
>
> :>> Which day of the week?
>
> :>> Business people take the red-eye because it allows a full day of business.
>
> :> Thursday night. Have had good luck with this in the past.
>
> Worst night of the week for that. Full of business people coming back for the
> weekend. I have not done that specific run, but have done quite a few other
> "last flight" on Thursday nights.

Worked the last two times for me.At worst I get an aisle seat an extra
day on my vacation.

Patricia Martin Steward

Jul 21, 2007, 10:05:20 AM7/21/07
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 12:08:14 +0300, Binyamin Dissen
<post...@dissensoftware.com> wrote:

>Try orbitz - it allows more options.

Better yet, try kayak.com -- it incorporates travelocity, expedia,
orbitz, and many airline sites. I've used it to good effect twice.

I really like their search options, and if you register it's free and
you have even more search options. I have no interest in this site
other than being a satisfied user.

--
Face your fears.
Live your dreams.