Re: Expense of owning a car

Message has been deleted

Tony

Sep 22, 2008, 9:43:55 AM9/22/08
Only if you live in a state where insurance is manditory. Actually if
you don't drive far it's one of the cheapest eras to own a car. It's car
insurance and the crooks that insure that have destroyed the auto
industry.

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

No, I just decided not to play your silly game is all. *Some* of us know
proper manners

beyond the realm of understandability

JonquilJan

Sep 22, 2008, 10:38:04 AM9/22/08

RodSpeed,_start_digging_that_hole <kwo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> More expensive then ever now.

Agree. I combine errands/trips as much as possible and have the lowest
legal limit on my insurance. Still a drain on finances. Staying home a lot
more. Which saves on gas but the set expenses are still there.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

SMS

Sep 22, 2008, 12:16:21 PM9/22/08

Actually car ownership is one thing that has not gone up very much at
all over the past ten years. New car prices have been remarkably stable,
i.e. I was pricing a 2009 Camry LE, and it was $17,500-$18500 (depending
on the dealer) with all the rebates. 12 years ago we paid $17K for the
same model, and it didn't have a lot of the equipment that's now
standard (ABS, a gazillion air bags, TPMS, etc.).

Car insurance rates have been going down, not up, over time. Even
vehicle registration fees have gone down (and the attempt by the last
California governor to eliminate a temporary reduction, put in place
when the state had surpluses, caused him to be recalled).

Fuel costs are the one item that have really gone up, but only because
we have two oilmen in the White House who compounded the problem with
their economic policies that weakened the U.S. dollar and their foreign
policies which disrupted supply. Once we get the Republicans out of
office and start getting serious about both conservation and alternative
energy, we'll stop using so much oil to generate electricity.

If there's one reason to not vote for McCain, it's his total
cluelessness regarding energy policy. I was reading an article in
Fortune magazine yesterday about Matt Simmons, a very famous oil and gas
consultant in Texas, and naturally expected to see something about how
the founder supported McCain. OMG. "Why should a lifelong Republican
need to be the one to point out that his party's new mantra - "Drill,
baby, drill!" - won't really fix anything and that his party's
presidential candidate is clueless about energy?" He's supporting Obama,
because Obama actually _does_ have a clue (at least about energy policy)

See
"http://money.cnn.com/2008/09/15/news/economy/500dollaroil_okeefe.fortune/index.htm"

Rod Speed

Sep 22, 2008, 2:56:20 PM9/22/08