truth in advertising

Woody

Feb 2, 2009, 7:11:51 PM2/2/09
TV ad by a local furniture chain: "We've demanded lower prices from our
suppliers to save you money!"

Heh. As if. More like, "We'd love to charge you higher prices but then you
won't buy, so we demanded lower prices from our suppliers in order to match
the prices our competitors down the street charge so we can try to drive
them out of business, and we still get to keep our profit margin."

I've heard people can get arrested and flung in gaol for lying in an
advertisement. Any lawyers out there wanna take on this case pro bono?

Woody

albu...@mailinator.com

Feb 2, 2009, 9:35:07 PM2/2/09

The courts have pretty much ruled that you can say almost anything in
an ad. The wording is too subjective to pin them down. Even when the
claims are egregious, they often only have to cease and desist from
that particular add. I always like the Grapefruit 45 ads where you
were supposed to lost weight while you slept. The acid in the fruit
burned off the fat. Of course sleeping instead of eating all night
helps lose weight too.
My local food chain has an add very similar to that furniture ad of
yours. About the only cheap thing they sell is milk for some reason,
and a quality brand at that. I went in today just for milk and it was
$1.79 a gallon. I joked with the clerk that they were giving it away.
He pointed to the small print that said you had to purchase $10 to get
that price. Well, I wanted the milk regardless and went to the self
scanner. Low and behold, it gave me the $1.79 price for the single
purchase.