OT - Kroger Grocery Stores

Donna in Texas

Feb 26, 2006, 11:24:20 AM2/26/06
Someone else was talking about Walmart in another thread.

I have been wondering why there are some picketers occasionally in from of
our Kroger grocery store here in north Texas.

I can't slow down enough to read all the signs. The only one I've been able
to read is "Kroger Is Evil."

Does anyone know why this is going on? (I shop at this Kroger nearly all
the time, and if it's evil, I don't know why.}

Thanks---
Donna

Travis Jordan

Feb 26, 2006, 11:31:22 AM2/26/06
Donna in Texas wrote:
> I have been wondering why there are some picketers occasionally in
> from of our Kroger grocery store here in north Texas.
>
> I can't slow down enough to read all the signs. The only one I've
> been able to read is "Kroger Is Evil."
>
> Does anyone know why this is going on? (I shop at this Kroger nearly
> all the time, and if it's evil, I don't know why.}

http://www.responsibleshopper.org/basic.cfm?cusip=501044

hchi...@hotmail.com

Feb 26, 2006, 11:33:01 AM2/26/06

Hmmm, perhaps Kroger is planning on joining up with Freds to form
Freddy Kroger?

I guess the one to ask would be Dennis (evil).

Ben

Feb 26, 2006, 12:07:22 PM2/26/06

"Donna in Texas" <donn...@comcast.net> wrote in message
Special Interests? Maybe it's just a normal grocery store employee/employer
dispute. Or are they an abusive and intrusve presence on the local business
scene?

I've heard a lot of bad about Wal-Mart, especially, usually concerning how
they have destroyed mom & pop stores and exploit their employees. As far as
destroying mom & pops, that would indict every grocery store, Home
Depot/Lowes, convenience store, Sears, Penneys, K-Mart, gas stations and any
other store, no matter what size that hasn't been founded and run by someone
in the neighborhood. What business hasn't tried to control employee
pay/benefits in it's favor, whether right or wrong? I think you get the
picture. No matter what people with a conflicting monetary or aesthetic
interest would like, competition and change are a fact of life and ALWAYS
have been. Since the start of the industrial revolution, workers/owners in
cities who were threatened with loss have resorted to violence and lies to
stop progress; progress being defined as where free consumers choose to
spend their money for a better deal. I bet there's few, if any of us who
would enjoy giving up our modern stores and conveniences because the more
efficient and popular places where we shop make a special interest mad. How
about those who destroy construction sites because they don't like
developement?; those who destroy inventory on auto dealer lots because they
use gas and pollute? I'd be willing to bet that all these people, if their
lives were examined, would be found out as hippocrits who violate their own
principles for convenience sake. Do they live in constructed homes, ride in
cars, shop in non-mom & pop stores, etc?

Gordon reeder

Feb 26, 2006, 1:13:08 PM2/26/06
"Travis Jordan" <no....@no.net> wrote in news:tJkMf.166335$uu4.116596
@fe02.news.easynews.com:

OK, that's intresting.
But it doesn't explain the picking out side the North TX
stores.

larry

Feb 26, 2006, 1:36:51 PM2/26/06
Gordon reeder wrote:

Last I heard it was a union issue, was either the truckers
or the unloaders. Used to be a fav store of mine, but not
many left in dallas anymore, but that is becoming the case
with any stores left in dallas. I guess name-able
overpriced Trinity Rivers signature bridges are more
important these days. (how many Cotton Bowls would one
signature bridge build? - or another nameable library
branch, that is open 20 hours a week?)

-larry / dallas

Ben

Feb 26, 2006, 1:37:35 PM2/26/06

"Gordon reeder" <go...@alltomyself.com> wrote in message

That hasn't been determined yet.

Shawn Hirn

Feb 26, 2006, 1:52:17 PM2/26/06
In article <C7GdnZQzq9WuS5zZ...@comcast.com>,

Why don't you stop and ask the people why they're picketing Kroger's if
you're curious about the situation?

The Real Bev

Feb 26, 2006, 6:43:05 PM2/26/06
Donna in Texas wrote:

Why don't you ask one of the pickets?

--
Ch rs,
B v

The Real Bev

Feb 26, 2006, 6:51:53 PM2/26/06
Travis Jordan wrote:

Hm. Mostly anti-union actions. Anti-union activities are OK in my book. One
store apparently fired a retarded bagger for, um, being retarded. OTOH, my
local Ralph's has had a retarded bagger for years and years. He smiles, he's
willing, he's just retarded.

We've had this discussion before. Several times. Perhaps it would save
everyone's time, temper and bandwidth if we just added our names to the pro-
or anti-union section below:

----------------------
Pro-Union:

----------------------
Anti-Union:
Bev

----------------------
--
Cheers,
Bev

Logan Shaw

Feb 26, 2006, 7:01:22 PM2/26/06
Donna in Texas wrote:
> Someone else was talking about Walmart in another thread.
>
> I have been wondering why there are some picketers occasionally in from of
> our Kroger grocery store here in north Texas.
>
> I can't slow down enough to read all the signs. The only one I've been able
> to read is "Kroger Is Evil."

Maybe if the protesters want the public's support and they're going to stand
near the road so that people driving by can see them, then they should make
signs with letters big enough to be read by people driving by. Personally,
I am much more inclined to support people who are asking for my support if
they don't make it unduly difficult to figure out whether their request is
legit or bogus. :-)

- Logan

JazzMan

Feb 26, 2006, 10:58:17 PM2/26/06

Dunno, I quit shopping Kroger years ago when they implemented
their loyalty card program Now I shop Walmart because there
I can still pay cash and not be tracked. My choice, of course.

JazzMan
Please reply to jsavage"at"airmail.net.
Curse those darned bulk e-mailers!

hchi...@hotmail.com

Feb 26, 2006, 11:02:58 PM2/26/06
The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Travis Jordan wrote:
>
>> Donna in Texas wrote:
>>> I have been wondering why there are some picketers occasionally in
>>> from of our Kroger grocery store here in north Texas.
>>>
>>> I can't slow down enough to read all the signs. The only one I've
>>> been able to read is "Kroger Is Evil."
>>>
>>> Does anyone know why this is going on? (I shop at this Kroger nearly
>>> all the time, and if it's evil, I don't know why.}
>>
>> http://www.responsibleshopper.org/basic.cfm?cusip=501044
>
>Hm. Mostly anti-union actions. Anti-union activities are OK in my book. One
>store apparently fired a retarded bagger for, um, being retarded. OTOH, my
>local Ralph's has had a retarded bagger for years and years. He smiles, he's
>willing, he's just retarded.
>
>We've had this discussion before. Several times. Perhaps it would save
>everyone's time, temper and bandwidth if we just added our names to the pro-
>or anti-union section below:
>
>----------------------
>Pro-Union:

Chickpea

>----------------------
>Anti-Union:
>Bev

Chickpea

>----------------------

Sometimes unions do a service, other times they are scum. Google
unions and Homestead or Haymarket Square for times that they were
needed. I'm sure that others will recount other situations where the
reverse is true. IMO, unions are a part of the check and balance to
the excesses of corporate jerkdom. They shouldn't be needed, but when
employee treatment gets outrageous they arise unbidden. That said,
the structure of most unions is equally bad, and I don't understand
why union members put up with the BS from their "leaders."

Anthony Matonak

Feb 27, 2006, 12:07:24 AM2/27/06
hchi...@hotmail.com wrote:
> ... That said,

> the structure of most unions is equally bad, and I don't understand
> why union members put up with the BS from their "leaders."

Power corrupts. Evil people desire the most power they can get.
In order to counter big powerful corporations the unions must be
equally big and powerful and therefore subject to the same kind
of evil leadership and corrupting forces.

Anthony

The Real Bev

Feb 27, 2006, 1:44:37 AM2/27/06
Anthony Matonak wrote:

> hchi...@hotmail.com wrote:
>> ... That said,
>> the structure of most unions is equally bad, and I don't understand
>> why union members put up with the BS from their "leaders."

Why should they care what the union leadership gets as long as the
rank-and-file get their goodies?

> Power corrupts. Evil people desire the most power they can get.
> In order to counter big powerful corporations the unions must be
> equally big and powerful and therefore subject to the same kind
> of evil leadership and corrupting forces.

Consider that business doesn't really have to worry about raising salaries and
benefits for the union members, all they have to do is raise prices. What are
we going to do, shop at WalMart? Oh, wait... OTOH, if they unionize
government jobs there is no constraint at all on how high taxes can be raised.

If WalMart is responsible for putting a brake on the unlimited salary growth
of what are basically menial jobs, Go WalMart! All we have to do is figure
out how to outsource government to Bangladesh. Do we REALLY believe it would
be much worse?

--
Cheers,
Bev

diddy

Feb 27, 2006, 5:54:02 AM2/27/06
JazzMan <No_...@airmail.net> composed these thoughts and posted them

>> Does anyone know why this is going on? (I shop at this Kroger nearly
>> all the time, and if it's evil, I don't know why.}
>>

> Dunno, I quit shopping Kroger years ago when they implemented
> their loyalty card program Now I shop Walmart because there
> I can still pay cash and not be tracked. My choice, of course.
>
> JazzMan

I quit shopping Kroger when the Ohio CCW law went in, and they erected
their n/c sign.

Donna in Texas

Feb 27, 2006, 9:22:03 PM2/27/06

Shawn wrote:

> Why don't you stop and ask the people why they're picketing Kroger's if
> you're curious about the situation?

This is a reasonable question to ask. My answer is that the ones I've seen
are pretty scary looking---a little angry, a little mentally off--or so it
appears. I am wondering if they were hired by somebody to do their
picketing for them. (That does occur.) These folks look and act like they
haven't worked for Kroger or anybody else.

Donna

Logan Shaw

Feb 28, 2006, 12:38:04 AM2/28/06
diddy wrote:
> I quit shopping Kroger when the Ohio CCW law went in, and they erected
> their n/c sign.

I know what you mean. I hate it when they put up no-charge signs so soon
after the state passes a counterclockwise law.

- Logan

Message has been deleted

Bob Ward

Mar 1, 2006, 1:02:23 AM3/1/06
On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:06:24 -0500, imascot <im...@mycomputer.com>
wrote:

>In article <440278...@airmail.net>, No_...@airmail.net says...

>> Dunno, I quit shopping Kroger years ago when they implemented
>> their loyalty card program Now I shop Walmart because there
>> I can still pay cash and not be tracked. My choice, of course.
>>
>> JazzMan
>>

>Not be tracked by Walmart? Surely you jest:
>
>http://www.spychips.com/
>
>J.

Isn't that one of the sites that sells plans for tinfoil hats?

rick++

Mar 1, 2006, 10:37:34 AM3/1/06
Kroger and other grocers are transitioning from zero-premium,
zero copay health insurance to one that costs $10 a week.
And meeting tremendous union opposition. This is still a quarter
the rate of the average non-union health policy. Walmart which
has very modest health insurance is justing walking all over
the union grocery stores.

Lucid

Mar 1, 2006, 11:13:12 AM3/1/06
"rick++" <ric...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Kroger and other grocers are transitioning from zero-premium,
> zero copay health insurance to one that costs $10 a week.
> And meeting tremendous union opposition. This is still a quarter
> the rate of the average non-union health policy.

The unions need to learn to better choose which battles to fight. Unions
lost much of their relevance and membership during the times when companies
were treating their employees well. Now that the trend is moving toward the
negative, unions need to fight where it is more appropriate and needed. With
so many jobs leaving the country, we are in the midst of a major shift in
the economy. Most of the rules are changing. Those who will survive are
analyzing the trends and making adjustments right now.

>Walmart which has very modest health insurance is justing walking all over
>the union grocery stores.

Wal-Mart has very POOR health insurance and is making its profits partially
via poor treatment of its employees. Their low prices are attractive to the
consumer, but more and more consumers are considering the real cost of those
low prices. I can respect a company that makes its profits by running a
fiscally tight operation, but Wal-Mart seems to have some business ethics
issues that are quite disturbing.

The successful competition for Wal-Mart, in our local area, are the somewhat
upscale markets who sell things like good quality produce. Our Wal-Mart has
very poor quality produce, and that leaves a major opening for customers
like me who were forced to drive long distances to stores like Whole Foods
in order to get decent produce (at premium prices). Other areas like the
deli are open for competition as well. As long as your diet is primarily
deep-fried, Wal-Mart's deli is fine, but if you want something even slightly
above that, you've got to go somewhere else. Having low prices on items that
everybody buys is great, but sometimes customers want a little more. A
grocery store in our town saw that reality and built their market right next
to a Wal-Mart. The parking lot at the new store is so full that people have
to park at Wal-Mart and walk to the other store.

Luc

Rod Speed

Mar 1, 2006, 2:00:55 PM3/1/06
Lucid <conc...@mail.invalid> wrote
> rick++ <ric...@hotmail.com> wrote

>> Kroger and other grocers are transitioning from zero-premium,
>> zero copay health insurance to one that costs $10 a week.
>> And meeting tremendous union opposition. This is still a quarter the
>> rate of the average non-union health policy.

> The unions need to learn to better choose which battles to fight. Unions
> lost much of their relevance and membership during the times
> when companies were treating their employees well. Now that the
> trend is moving toward the negative, unions need to fight where it is
> more appropriate and needed. With so many jobs leaving the country,

Bugger all actually as a percentage of the total workforce.

In spades with retail operations like that.

> we are in the midst of a major shift in the economy.

Only with a few areas like manufacturing and paper shuffling etc.

> Most of the rules are changing.

Nope, only a few of them.

> Those who will survive are analyzing the trends and making adjustments
> right now.

Those 'working' in retail dont need to.

>> Walmart which has very modest health insurance is justing walking all
>> over the union grocery stores.

> Wal-Mart has very POOR health insurance and is making its profits
> partially via poor treatment of its employees.

Bullshit. Thats a tiny part of their total costs.

> Their low prices are attractive to the consumer, but more and more
> consumers are considering the real cost of those low prices.

Nope. Bugger all are.

> I can respect a company that makes its profits by running a fiscally
> tight operation, but Wal-Mart seems to have some business ethics issues
> that are quite disturbing.

No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to use their stores.

> The successful competition for Wal-Mart, in our local area, are the
> somewhat upscale markets who sell things like good quality produce. Our
> Wal-Mart has very poor quality produce, and that leaves a major
> opening for customers like me who were forced to drive long distances
> to stores like Whole Foods in order to get decent produce (at premium
> prices). Other areas like the deli are open for competition as well. As
> long as your diet is primarily deep-fried, Wal-Mart's deli is
> fine, but if you want something even slightly above that, you've got
> to go somewhere else. Having low prices on items that everybody buys is
> great, but sometimes customers want a little more.

Not a great idea to have an effective monopoly tho.

> A grocery store in our town saw that reality and built their market right
> next to a Wal-Mart. The parking lot at the new store is so full that
> people have to park at Wal-Mart and walk to the other store.

And you'll see how long that lasts.

Pau...@yahoo.com

Mar 1, 2006, 3:09:32 PM3/1/06
My guess is that someone is trying to get their workers to unionize.
Texas is a right-to-work state and unions don't same power that they
have in more heavily unionized states.

webs...@cox.net

Mar 1, 2006, 4:09:05 PM3/1/06
imascot wrote:
>Not be tracked by Walmart? Surely you jest:
>http://www.spychips.com/

So I went there and looked, and read.
For now, at least, I don't see a problem. All the RFID devices that
the website decries are used to track GOODS, not people. The RFIDs are
great devices, since they simplify inventory tracking and control. The
store can't track people unless they put the RFID on people. Unless
the people are carrying the television box, or remove the RIFD from the
box and put it on their persons (unlikely, unless you want to confuse
the tracking systems...) there isn't any connection between
people-tracking and RIFDs.

The surveillance cameras have been around for a long time, and are
useful tools for making sure people don't put large-screen TVs in their
raincoats and purses. They provide great videos for proving theft,
abuse, etc.

I DON"T like the store loyalty cards, because that does connect my
purchases with me personally, which as far as I can see is unnecessary.
I've got the cards for three grocery stores, because the discounts are
sometimes substantial. One of the stores allowed me to get the card
anonymously, which is fine by me. I still don't see how it benefits
them, though.

Eventually, and soon I hope, you will see a disconnect between your
employer and your health insurance. We need to do this for
international competition. Also, I'm tired of needing to change
insurance and doctors just because I changed jobs. The system has a
bunch of other hassles as well.

Message has been deleted

roger...@yahoo.com

Mar 1, 2006, 8:45:35 PM3/1/06
In this midwest US city Kroger is the ONLY grocery chain providing
numerous, clean, well-stocked stores in low-income areas. They do a
hell of a job providing servcies where no other store will go. Safeway
does a half-ass job but their stores suck compared to Kroger.

On the website quoted above they bitch about the Kroger CEO's income.
Quick cue that it's a communist site. Commies always laud Ben &
Jerry's for not taking a high salary but they never mention that Ben
and Jerry had all the stock and made, factoring in the stock price,
millions of dollars a year.

Message has been deleted

Rod Speed

Mar 1, 2006, 9:57:39 PM3/1/06
imascot <im...@mycomputer.com> wrote
> webs...@cox.net wrote

>> The store can't track people unless they put the RFID on people.
>> Unless the people are carrying the television box, or remove the
>> RIFD from the box and put it on their persons (unlikely, unless
>> you want to confuse the tracking systems...) there isn't any
>> connection between people-tracking and RIFDs.

> Unfortunately, RFID's are planned for exactly that kind of tracking.

Mindless pig ignorant paranoia.

> Here's more:

> http://www.nocards.org./AutoID/overview.shtml

More mindless pig ignorant luddite paranoia.

Bob Ward

Mar 2, 2006, 9:13:09 PM3/2/06
On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 19:36:23 -0500, imascot <im...@mycomputer.com>
wrote:

>In article <1141247345....@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
>webs...@cox.net says...

>> The
>> store can't track people unless they put the RFID on people. Unless
>> the people are carrying the television box, or remove the RIFD from the
>> box and put it on their persons (unlikely, unless you want to confuse
>> the tracking systems...) there isn't any connection between
>> people-tracking and RIFDs.
>>

>Unfortunately, RFID's are planned for exactly that kind of tracking.

>J.
Crackpot cites don't count.